Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgieakinsmith1

How can I turn my new London terrace into the perfect chill out zone?

I'm soon to be moving into a new flat with a nice size terrace, given the size of the flat I'd love to make as much use of the outdoor space as possible, does anyone have any ideas on how to do this and the sort of furniture, planting and lighting I could use to make it great place to relax..?!

Comments (12)

• hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    Will you use the space for dining, lounging, entertaining/conversation? How many would you like to seat? Do you want potted plants?
  • Lily Choi
    9 years ago
    Having a terrace will be so nice. Is a bbq grill and an outdoor dining set on your list already? I hesitated on buying outdoor sofas since London weather is unpredictable but it ended up a great decision - even if I get to lounge on it for just a few great summer London days, it's totally worth it! Lantern lights always make for a pretty terrace, in my opinion. :) B&Q has some nice garden and outdoor light projects on their profile!
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Georgie, have a look at this guy's gardens and roof terraces. I think he's great; I found his blog by accident and got addicted to his designs. I don't even want to guess how much he charges for a job, but I'd say his work is definitely worth it.

I'm sure you can find inspiration in his portfolio; if not, his blog has some great tips for small spaces and plants and some of his photos are just spectacular! http://www.mylandscapes.co.uk/chapel.htm
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    Take a leaf out of Kelly Hoppen's terraces that she has done. They use space quite wellAlso the best investment you can make is to go to Waterstones or Amazon and purchase Caroline TIlston's Rooftop and Terrace Gardens as a great starting point
  • Molly Cairns
    9 years ago
    How about this great split level garden by Helen Williams Garden Design
    Hampton Court Flower Show 2008 · More Info
  • Georgie Akin-Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi all, thank you very much for all your responses!

@Studio D Interiors - thank you, I will definitely be using your website and Houzz profile for inspiration!

@hatetoshop - I think I will use it most for just chilling out and entertaining rather than dining, especially given the unreliable British weather....

@Luciana - that blog is great, and definitely one I will be referring back to - thank you!

@ASV Interiors - thank you for the book advice, I'll have a look for it this weekend!
  • PRO
    Capital Garden Products Ltd
    7 years ago

Different height planters and troughs can help divide areas, give a focal point and provide privacy. Have a look at our website for ideas - all the planters are made from fibreglass so they lightweight and maintenance free

!

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    It's probably done by now. The post was almost 3 years ago!
  • PRO
    Capital Garden Products Ltd
    7 years ago

Lets hope so!!!

• Georgie Akin-Smith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, all finished, you can see the transformation here! https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/terrace-upgrade-before-and-after-dsvw-vd~3157302

• steve3122
    6 years ago

Add a gas fire pit

see Elementi fires uk

steve