How can I style my living room??
Louise Houghton
I have recently bought my first home and I am stuck on how to style this living room! The floorboards are amazing, but the fireplace and brown woodish wall need a change. Photos below are with previous owners furniture. I have already bought the couch (in black, not brown) and cheap yellow/black soft furnishings (so don't mind changing them). I need help choosing a theme, rugs, artwork, placement of furniture etc. I will probably get a TV and place it against the window but I need help! I'm in Australia.
mpoulsom
Is there anyway to face the sofa towards the fireplace? If you don't like the wood on the fireplace (even though from what I can see, it looks kind of interesting?), I would paint that and the wainscoting to a lighter color.
Is your style more on the modern/contemporary style, or traditional? AND, what is your favorite color in general?

]
   July 24, 2014 at 7:03AM
Louise Houghton
The sofa in the original photos isn't mine, but the room probably isn't large enough to place the sofa facing the fireplace. I generally like more neutral colours, nothing crazy. Creams, greys and yellows.
   July 24, 2014 at 7:08AM
Louise Houghton
I like that picture, thanks! I'm a bit worried about my door placement though, as it seems weird having a couch next to the entry? Although I could probably swap it around and have the armchairs there.

House is very old too btw, but I like contemporary styling.
   July 24, 2014 at 7:10AM
Louise Houghton
Also, the wood on the fireplace in in fact tiles! That's a whole other discussion in itself if/how I can paint them..
   July 24, 2014 at 7:12AM
mpoulsom
you can paint them with brick/masonry paint and prime them first, then paint them whatever color you like. Well, maybe try the arrangement in the pic above. I probably wouldn't place the tv by window personally though. How about above the fireplace?
   July 24, 2014 at 7:15AM
Generally, art or perhaps an anchoring rug can determine the colors for a room. Then you can pull from those for paint and other accessories. The FP could look great painted, but what style? If the wood looks like wainscot, you could go more classic. Or do something fun like a 2-tone.
   July 24, 2014 at 7:27AM
What is the correct name for this?
I am looking for these decorative, short horizontal...
Exterior Siding Project
Our home seems to have a Tudor cottage design, but...
Need advice on interior designer's advice on fireplace
We recently hired an interior designer to help us with...
A very small powder room 36 x 66
My vanity is about 24 or 25" deep and the toilet is...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...