Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barron_stone

Remodeled Fireplace!

We covered the dated white brick with stacked slate and a 16x16 slate on the hearth. Then added a new mantle as well. Updated and modern!

Comments (70)

• dmussori
    9 years ago
    The mantle is dating the fireplace. Very skimpy looking and orange
  • unwindhere
    9 years ago
    That's it! I am painting my bricks. I am just doing it. That's all.
  • PRO
    Geometra Design Ltd.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I personally like more the before than the after... And that white crown molding doesn't go with it at all.
    I think this is a pretty messy look...
  • Syfur Rahman (Munna)
    9 years ago
    The before doesn't look modern to me at all!! The after is much better.
    BARRON Tile & Stone thanked Syfur Rahman (Munna)
  • Laura Bustamante
    9 years ago
    I like the before much better.
  • ced653
    9 years ago
    This reminds me of the cladding Jack and Vera Duckworth put on their terraced house in the English sitcom Coronation Street!! Each to their own tastes...
  • lambslettuce
    9 years ago
    Big improvement! Love the rustic new look.
    BARRON Tile & Stone thanked lambslettuce
  • lambslettuce
    9 years ago
    A few people have pointed out that the 'before' was a more modern look, but actually, the white brick and white painted brick were quite popular in the early 60s - 70s midcentury style homes. I don't mind either look, but the new slate is more up-to-date and warmer.
    BARRON Tile & Stone thanked lambslettuce
  • n3ellie
    9 years ago
    prefer the before .. more contemporary and 'now'.. hey but warm colours are OK as well
  • Karen West
    9 years ago
    I personally liked the white brick, all you had to do is add a mantle and a couple of built in's on either side and you have a very updated look.
  • midcenturymartha
    9 years ago
    I think cleaning the firebox and then spraying it with a high-heat paint would help finish the look. I am glad (and surprised) to hear so many people like the white brick because that's what I have in my 1950s ranch. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,214324,00.html
  • Laurie Krueger
    9 years ago
    The stone is nicer than brick, but the whole wall thing is dated to me. Would not have done that -(personally, I would have built in shelving), but if they wanted the whole wall done, then I would have built a dramatic mantle. Something large with columns maybe in marble or some other stone. That wall can carry something like that and is calling out for something to break up the wall of stone. That little shelf over the fireplace opening doesn't cut it.
  • PRO
    CJ Realty Group
    9 years ago
    Unfortunately all of the stone I see in homes now is starting to look a little "me-me". However the stone is a better choice than the 50's brick and ultimately if the homeowner is happy then that's what matters. The odds and ends of items on the mantel & hearth don't seem to go with the style of the chair.
  • sarasotagirl
    9 years ago
    I think it looked better before...WAY too much stone...on such a small fireplace/wall.
  • Sharon Louise
    9 years ago
    I was not expecting that choice. I thought some of the brick would be replaced with shelving and mantles...and now it looks dated
  • Tina Fehr
    9 years ago
    I like the before look, put a mantel in the before, and some décor it would look even better, the after looks to busy, my opinion.
  • PRO
    Custom Stoneworks Inc.
    9 years ago
    Custom stoneworks inc. Orlando, Fl
  • capbny
    9 years ago
    The stone color works well with the floor, but unfortunately to me the whole look is unbalanced. Such a heavy looking wall of stone, flanked by painted dry wall on either side topped by very traditional crown molding seems out of place. The homeowners will have to work hard to create balance with everything else in this room. Perhaps this look would've worked well in mountain home/ski house, with soaring ceilings, rustic wood paneled walls, wood ceiling beams and mountain views. I agree with others that the mantle is too small- it would've been better to have breaks in that huge mass of stone.
  • PRO
    Dinah2012
    9 years ago
    Now put two open back bookshelves to the left and right of the fireplace.
  • PRO
    Tilestone Imports
    9 years ago
    One word... Yuck!
  • Valerie
    9 years ago
    It is such a big wall that built-ins would have looked great on the sides. But since you're done, maybe you could paint the bricks inside the fireplace a darker color so that you don't see the soot?
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    Custom Stone Works. Love your idea of what customer should have done.

Barron Tile: I guest if that is what the customer wanted, then you had to do it, but having some flair to the remodel as per Custom Stone Works, would have brought it up-to-date instead of up-dating - but not up-to-date.
  • N Hanson
    9 years ago
    I would have chosen hearth OR mantel. and the hearth would be better if it were the length of the wall. I preferred the modern look of the white brick but everyone should have a look they love!
    BARRON Tile & Stone thanked N Hanson
  • Ewelina Savas
    9 years ago
    To much of a good thing to me, fire place got lost and mantel is floating - would leave some wall space on both sides. And what's up with the crown molding over the stone? I would remove it.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    Even though I like the remodel, I agree with others' comments about the crown molding. It looks even larger than in the "before" pic, unless that's an illusion because of the contrast.
  • Angela Dodson
    9 years ago
    a nutcracker, a butterchurner, lanterns & IKEA chair. a man did this.
  • Angela Dodson
    9 years ago
    I looked closer....and the crown molding IS taller (compare to height on painted wall) wt... because they slapped SLATE VENEER over the brick that was already capped with crown. :\ looks like they slapped a quarter round or some other small trim piece to cover the new connection between the the slate and the crown.
  • joyousme
    9 years ago
    I would had built out a mantle and some cabinetry....looks like the same problem just a different material ....
  • Shea Joy
    9 years ago
    Oh come on! The all white brick isn't modern; it's just plain. But even if we ignore that scattering of country collectibles, if the desired look is modern, a sleeker mantle of unusual material or no mantle and a large modern painting would transform this look. Angela Dodson, your comment is spot on and very funny!
  • PRO
    Kristina Conway
    9 years ago
    I do not like neither version. Old one is old and new one is too busy even for rustic look. You should have scaled down brick area around fireplace and may be do built-ins on either side. Amount of brick is too much.
  • Gary Ryder
    9 years ago
    Sorry, didn't hit it for me
  • PRO
    S&A Decor
    9 years ago
    i too like the the before pic. u could have added more shelves and accessories to make it less dull
  • pickyvicky
    9 years ago
    I like the new style with the floors much better.
  • cindyguent
    9 years ago
    Might not look so bad with right accessories! Big bold abstract over fireplace, big shaggy white rug and more of the modern furniture. Bring in some black accents. Lose all those country accents! No barrel, no nutcracker no butter churner. And no to whatever the other thing was.
  • cindyguent
    9 years ago
    Lantern and milk can, be gone. The person who said a man staged this was right.
  • tallest
    9 years ago
    man cave now, but preferred the white bricks. now start looking up fireplaces done w similar stone and take it from there. sorry to say, but think old look was easy to decorate well... may be pics. ot so good and better irl...
  • blackj24
    9 years ago
    The homeowner was sharing a before and after photo, not asking for help or opinions. If you can't say anything nice...
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- @ blackj24 -- I don't think you understand Houzz -- when someone posts before and after photos , they are also saying -what do you think ?? And that is the way it is ... I haven't seen where anyone was saying any thing not nice . This is a forum of ideas and opinions , and everyone knows that , including the people posting on Before and After . All ideas and opinions are given with the best intent !
  • blackj24
    9 years ago
    "Yuck", "This redo is a redon't"... Opinions given with best intent? Yikes! Not in my books.
  • PRO
    cg interiors group
    9 years ago
    It seems like there needs to be a stone(?) border defining the actual fireplace opening.
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- I should have said -- "most" opinions instead of "all ". Yes , you are right about some of the remarks being not so nice . Some people don't express themselves well or just choose to be mean . Those are usually best ignored !
  • PRO
    Cast Glass Images Inc.
    9 years ago
    nicely done....brings some great texture to the room!
    BARRON Tile & Stone thanked Cast Glass Images Inc.
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    I still think it's gorgeous, but it does add a more rustic look to the room which I love. The white brick was way to sterile for my tastes.
    BARRON Tile & Stone thanked hayleydaniels
  • adivra
    9 years ago
    As cruel as some comments can be, posters have to expect some really negative comments. My opinion is don't post if you don't want opinions. BTW, it appears the poster is a Pro and therefore all bets are off. Say whatever you want to a Pro.
  • mlou72
    9 years ago
    Looks warm and cozy. Great job!
    BARRON Tile & Stone thanked mlou72
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    pretty good...except I would have broken up the area a little more...too much stone
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    Yes, I prefer the before photo. It could be more modern looking without the rustic mantle and accents. Now what are you going to do with that big white wall?
    9 years ago
    LOVE the "after" soo much better than the "before"! This type of remodel IS a matter of taste so don't let some of these inappropriate nasty comments discourage you. The new slate looks beautiful in my opinion... very warm and cozy. Would love to see a pic of the room totally finished and decorated!
    BARRON Tile & Stone thanked 05210521
  • 7mcastell
    9 years ago
    That look Great! Only thing that would make that even better would be to run wood planks vertically from floor to ceiling on either side of the hearth to balance out the vertical distribution. I'd expand the mantle to reach the wood planks. Don't get me wrong, it looks GREAT. The way it is, but you've done so well, you might want to experiment with vertical space distribution. Just a thought.
  • PRO
    Ibraheems Rugs and Furnishings Boutique
    9 years ago

Looks like a comfortable space now, great job!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz