Need ideas for exterior update
A Shadduck
Ok- here is the front of our house- blech! The yellowish siding is in bad shape and need to be replaced... not to mention improperly installed and a mismatch of compressed wood and metal. Our budget is moderate.... (about $20-25k) and we are getting estimates of about $16k to redo all of it with vinyl siding which appeals to my husband because of the low maintenance. NOT going back with yellow! I was something timeless (or as much as possible) as well as in keeping with the style of the home. These are a bit old we have already replaced the front door- but the siding and bones still the same.
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
White vinyl siding would be a good choice.
It doesn't sound like you have the budget to do much more........Maybe some landscaping improvements if you have a bit of extra cash after the siding.
0 Likes   Thanked by A Shadduck    July 25, 2014 at 2:12AM
bgfuqua
please price hardi board instead of vinyl.
3 Likes   Thanked by A Shadduck    July 25, 2014 at 2:49AM
Kathleen Marineau
Look along your street. Actually count colors. For example, if there's 10 homes and 6 are white, avoid white. If you live in an area that fights dust, I'd avoid white or bright. Something in grey or beige will help hide dust.
If you choose a color that blends with the brick, then use a contrasting trim, the house will look more like one unit. The yellow against the brick looks like a small house has had it's roof raised.
I can't speak to vinyl versus hardi board, no experience, so no opinion.
2 Likes   Thanked by A Shadduck    July 25, 2014 at 3:27AM
hatetoshop
I like Kathleen's suggestion of grey. If it's in the budget, you might want to lose the shutters and beef up the trim. Good luck!

1 Like   Thanked by A Shadduck    July 25, 2014 at 5:37AM
A Shadduck
Definitely leaning towards beige or grey! And to get it the way that I want it- we may need to do things in stages. Landscaping is a huge thing that is needed- but I want to get the structure done first! The siding is leaking and warping in a few spots so we must do something to solve that fairly quickly before bigger issues arise. The windows are in good shape and are tan vinyl cladding (and for around here they are ridiculous nice windows I have hear from realtors and contractors- where the standard (even in the multimillion dollar home) windows are really cheap. I would love to tear off the columns, redesign the roof, and add a front porch.... if money was not object!
0 Likes   July 25, 2014 at 6:15AM
A Shadduck
Any thoughts about adding brick to around the front door or on the garage side? Would that make it so the porch would not be necessary? I found a guy that believes he could match the brick.
0 Likes   July 25, 2014 at 6:21AM
A Shadduck
Oh- and I live in the mid- south area- so costs are considerably less than if we were on either of the coasts!
0 Likes   July 25, 2014 at 6:27AM
PPF.
>>> I would love to tear off the columns, redesign the roof, and add a front porch

I agree!
0 Likes   Thanked by A Shadduck    July 25, 2014 at 8:06AM
justinalexx
You could always box in the columns for a cheaper alternative. It would make the house look allot more expensive and less dated.
1 Like   Thanked by A Shadduck    July 25, 2014 at 8:14AM
justinalexx
This color would look amazing.
1 Like   Thanked by A Shadduck    July 25, 2014 at 12:20PM
Luminoso Design
I agree with Justin above... aand warm soft neutral and paint out the white sidelights on either side of the door as well, that will help a lot!
1 Like   Thanked by A Shadduck    July 25, 2014 at 12:36PM
Foley Development Group
You may also consider installing some medium sized false dormers to the right and left of the large reverse gable. Those will look really nice and add curb appeal.
1 Like   Thanked by A Shadduck    July 25, 2014 at 1:14PM
mick50
I agree with bgfuqua...please consider getting a bid for prepainted Hardie cement fiberboards. They come in a variety of colors and styles. You could do the house in lap siding, the porch area and garage in board and batten, and the gable in shingles. the windows can be outlined in hardie planks and painted an accent color. I agree that the posts should be clad and made square. http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/colorplus-palette.shtml

http://www.jimmynashhomes.com/photo_gallery_view.php?id=5
1 Like   July 25, 2014 at 7:49PM
justinalexx
I love mick50's idea of the Batten board gables
0 Likes   July 25, 2014 at 8:51PM
Exterior Home needs update..Wood Panel/Stucco..Need Ideas please :)
I am not a design guru and need help. I hate the wood...
Need ideas for updating exterior
We moved into our 1960's colonial two years ago. It...
Need ideas for updating the exterior
We recently had the roof done in a black 3d shingle....
Need ideas for updating the exterior of this home!!
Home is located in an historic district that is dominated...
HELP Cement Deck Railing color, design, style
I have been wrecking my head with making a decision...
Help: Drapes for bedroom window/wall
I just moved to this condo and I'm having a hard time...
What to do with this space?.
It's supposed to be second dining room but we don't...
Help on Renovating Bathroom
Want to renovate our bathroom any suggestions?
Ugly heater in bed room
Hi Anybody now, how could I hide this object in my...