"Need opinions on kitchen"
Kathryn Stieger
I am getting mixed reviews from friends and family about my choice to mix 3 different colors of cabinets. Looking for unbiased opinions. (we are still installing 2 more shelves and have some trim work to do).
Design Details
There is absolutely nothing wrong with your choice of cabinets, however I think the diagonal backsplash, printed curtains, and floral mat make the space extra busy.
5 Likes   Thanked by Kathryn Stieger    July 25, 2014 at 8:02AM
Patricia Colwell
I do not like the added color I think there is enough with the 2 colors of cabinets, when you get the other shelves in do not load them up with a bunch of little bits put things of the same color , all white dishes for instance I also think there should be a cabinet on the other side of the window or remove the one that is there it looks very unbalanced and i think the window covering is way too busy with the tile, granite and floor.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kathryn Stieger    July 25, 2014 at 8:09AM
hayleydaniels
First of all, it's YOUR kitchen, and you should go with what you like regardless of what others think.

That being said, my first thought as I looked at your pictures is that the 3 different cabinet colors/wood grains makes your kitchen look like you couldn't afford to buy new cabinets, and settled for whatever you could get second hand. The island with that goldish trim/glaze around the edge gives it an shabby chic look that gives it the look of an old farmhouse with peeling paint. It doesn't look like a newly renovated kitchen.... I think that's why you're getting mixed reviews from your friends.
7 Likes   Thanked by Kathryn Stieger    July 25, 2014 at 8:25AM
Matt Christensen
Its your kitchen. Do what you like. My personal taste is I don't like it. Looks thrown together.
1 Like   Thanked by Kathryn Stieger    July 25, 2014 at 8:47AM
Kathryn Stieger
Design Details....I do have this window covering. If I switched it out and changed all the shelves to have matching color pieces, would this be too much? Or, I could take the pattern part off.
1 Like   July 25, 2014 at 8:50AM
Kathryn Stieger
Patricia Colwell....here is all white on shelves. Yes, it does look better.
1 Like   July 25, 2014 at 8:51AM
Patricia Colwell
The window covering is still too busy.so take the pattern off. And yes it looks much better I would like to see a pale sage green for wall color on particular behind the shelves.
2 Likes   July 25, 2014 at 9:01AM
imigr8
I like it... looks vintage w/a bit of quirk. I agree a more subtle valance and rug would help smooth the look, but overall it makes me smile.
1 Like   July 25, 2014 at 9:02AM
Kathryn Stieger
Thanks Patricia! I has thought about that. Would you paint the entire kitchen, just that wall or just behind shelves? I'm thinking just behind shelves...
0 Likes   July 25, 2014 at 9:31AM
makaloco
Doesn't work for me, sorry. It's not just the mixed cabinet colors, though those don't help. There's also too much going overall with colors, styles, textures, and patterns. What bothers me most is the huge crown molding on the stepped cabinets, the fringed valance on the window, and the antique finish on the island. The diagonal backsplash tiles are fine, but I wouldn't have used the border between counter and backsplash. It's not horrible but adds to the general busy-ness.

I DO like the way you've blended floor, counter and backsplash tones, and also the arrangement of dishes on the open shelves. It looks homey and "real" to me. I also like the bead board behind the shelves, though not the curlicue thingies at the top.
1 Like   July 25, 2014 at 9:39AM
Luminoso Design
Try painting the island the same color as the bottom cabinets and do not do it in a distressed finish but the same as the lower cabinets.This should balance the space. Also, we agree that the one cabinet looks out of place, either remove it or replicate it on the other side. The window coverings should be a simple roman blind in a neutral linen colored fabric, no pattern. Hope this will help. Donna www.luminosodesign.com
3 Likes   July 25, 2014 at 9:39AM
The Clay Team - Looking Glass Realty
Ditto all the comments that this is YOUR kitchen. If it makes you happy that's all you need to know. But since asked, I'm not a fan, especially since the island introduces yet a third cabinet color. I see this idea a lot, but not something I would do in my kitchen.
0 Likes   July 25, 2014 at 9:59AM
Kathryn Stieger
Thank you for the comments. I had thought it was a bit busy and couldn't pinpoint what is was...but, I personally love the cabinets. I am a bit quirky myself :) And, I plan on staying in this home until I can afford a home in Key West, so I'll be here a while. I am not concerned about resale...by then it will be 30+ years old and need to be redone regardless what I do now.

So, taking into consideration the comments/suggestions I am going to take away the colors from the shelving accessories and remove the curtains etc as Patricia Colwell and Design Details had suggested. The floors will be changed to match the backsplash but that is another project in itself as they will flow through the entire downstairs which is very costly....that is next years project.
0 Likes   July 25, 2014 at 3:29PM
Patricia Colwell
I would just paint behind the shelves and then see what you think. Boy when you ask for opinions you sure get them don't you.
1 Like   July 25, 2014 at 5:08PM
Kathryn Stieger
Here are pics with some of your ideas implemented. I painted behind one shelf, not sure if I like it or should keep in cream. Keep in mind, I still need to install two shelves on the one side and have trim/molding work to finish.
1 Like   July 26, 2014 at 6:37AM
pmarch39
the tile, backsplash and granite look good with the cabinet colors. I like the white accessories. the island doesn't work for me. if it was one of the other two colors it would feel more grounded.
0 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 7:28AM
***OPINIONS NEEDED***- KITCHEN LOW CEILINGS NEEDS CRISP MAKEOVER!
I hope you all can help me. We just purchased this...
Kitchen floor, cabinet and granite counter colors - opinions needed!
I fell in love with black granite when I thought we...
Need opinion on exhaust fans in the kitchen
We're building a new house and as partner is a chef...
Need a kitchen cabinet professional opinion!
I'm remodeling my kitchen and my custom cabinets are...
need help with area rug for bedroom
just had new tan carpet put in bedroom. need area...
I can't decide between rugs
I am purchasing my first wool rug, a big investment...
New build, need advise on wall color and art
Just moved into a new build, all my walls are Sherman...
basement needs style!
We have a large basement area that needs style help....
Need advice for door color
I am wanting to add some color to the front of my house....