Need help with my daughter's room
sotodog
April 5, 2012
My daughter is 8 and is ready to paint her room pink. She also likes the zebra/tiger/animal print theme. Her bed is iron and a dark wood color. The dresser is more like a painted tan with a faux granite. Most rooms I see that are pink and animal are usually black and white. Not sure that I can pull off black and white with her furniture.

I really need some additional storage too for stuffed animals, books, hair stuff and was thinking that I should stick with the dark cherry stains. Trying
to match the dresser is impossible and we are not buying a whole new set.

I was thinking of putting a tall bookcase on the bed by the windows

I would love some suggestions on colors and accessories for her.
Suzan J Designs - Decorating Den Interiors
You certainly can do pink with the animal print theme. The attached before and after show that the furniture style is similar to your daughter's. This was for a teenage girl and was done on a budget - bed in a bag, simple black drapery panels; she'll be doing her own accessorizing. For an 8 yr old I would probably do white draperies or curtain, to keep it younger-looking, or even a pink and white horizontal stripe drapery would be fun. If you're daring, I'd say paint the dresser so it's brighter - a creamy white. If not, then at least paint the knobs pink or black. If the iron part of the bed is black, I'd also paint the wood black. Paint is an easy way to unify disparate items.You can purchase an unstained/unpainted bookcase, paint it white and add pink and black baskets to store stuffed animals, etc. Good luck!
    Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 1:17PM
axlee
I would keep the dresser the way it is and I think you can make it work with the pink/animal print theme -- you just need to imagine that theme slightly differently and not as the black/white/cool pink you were thinking of. Think Moroccan forest / African safari and you might be able to imagine better the colour pallet. I would stay away from black and instead use animal prints with brown and tan, and then use a warmer, deeper pink. You can likely source inexpensive bedding in the African safari brown/tan combo somewhere mainstream like Sears. Then mix it with trinkets and other accessories that make it a little younger. I actually think your dresser can be fantastic -- the carving, knobs and mirror shape already look Moroccan.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 3:20PM
Barnhart Gallery
Remember being in class and the person right before you gives the answer you were going to give? Well, axlee pretty much said it.

I did pull up some photos by searching for cheetah + pink. See: http://www.houzz.com/pink-cheetah
Some of them, I think, are hits and others are misses for what would work in your space, but I'd suggest scrolling through several pages. You'll see there are many shades beyond bubble gum that could grow with your daughter. If she's open to it, perhaps she could save the pink for accessories and go with a khaki tan paint. And if not, like I said, lots of tasteful pinks to choose from.

I think the dresser would be lovely if you could accent the faint carvings with paint the color of the bed. As I look at the bed in the mirror, I'm seeing similar lines.

Keep in mind that 8 becomes 18 in a flash, and think ahead to the teen years.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 3:54PM
Manon Floreat
How about giraffes? It's a neutral animal print and the species itself is really special. They live in herds and when the mother goes away all of the other females in the herd help protect the baby. Very community oriented. I digress . . .

As an eight 8 year old with the practical good sense of a grown-up (most of the time), here's what I would do:

I'd put the birch IKEA bookshelf (pictured below) between the windows. I'd have one long curtain rod across the length of the wall with some wheat colored curtains to unify the wall. I'd paint the current nightstands coral pink. The dresser is pretty and I would leave it as is. I'd probably have to add some Fairy lights around the mirror, though. Against the right wall upon entry, I'd place a hope chest, where' I'd stash all of my treasures! Above it, I'd mount a chalkboard (also pictured) where I would indulge my inner artist. I'd have baskets under my bed storing a host of delights and most definitely a fancy chair or stool. Every 8 year old girl needs a place to sit and contemplate . . .circumstances. Oh! And the little bed tent - I think my inner eight year old loves that. Sometimes you need to feel cocooned - especially at 8!

Eight is the greatest! And as Barnhart mentioned, it passes in a flash. Paint color is easily changed, but storage is useful at all ages. I've got a collage with some ideas. I hope it's helpful.

The giraffe chair is pricey but it's on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00508O3Q4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=gabriela0a-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B00508O3Q4

The chalkboard can be a fun diy:
http://blog.hgtv.com/design/2010/03/19/chalkboard-as-decor/

The straw basket is Belarusian - but you can find similar at your local craft/home discount store:
http://www.belarusguide.com/culture1/visual_arts/Salomka.html

I've really enjoyed this dilemma - thanks for posting!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 12:43AM
sotodog
Thanks for the great ideas. I really like my dresser and think the lines of the bed work well. It is the rest of the furniture that I am not sure what to do with. I have never painted furniture and it seems easy but I am afraid. I am going to review all these ideas with her and see what we can come up with.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 4:42AM
sotodog
Actually a few more questions about picking a paint color. Is it best to buy bedding and match bedding or pick a paint color and try to match bedding? I found several I liked at SW - Hibiscus for bolder color and In the Pink for a softer color. I found nice bedding at Horchow but boy is that expensive. I'm sure I can find something else but Houzz listed them. Good for ideas. While I tell my daughter to not listen to me and do whatever she likes, she hears me saying that I don't like green and she doesn't want green which is many times with pink.

Her room gets lots of bright afternoon sun so I think we can get away with a little bolder color. You didn't see but her ceiling is currently blue with white clouds (from when this was a baby room). She doesn't like the ceiling but I do and honestly I would prefer not to paint the ceiling. Any thoughts about that?

Manon - what is the name of the IKEA book shelf? We also currently have some cool fiber optic Christmas lights strung around her headboard but she is 8 so we have lots of knick knacks hanging off the headboard. Sometimes she gets a little "punky Brewster" as we say but she is just 8.

I would like something that we can grow into but painting isn't that big of a deal.

Thanks again.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:12AM
Manon Floreat
Hi, sotodog. Generally, it's best to pick your bedding, rug or other fabric and pull a paint color from that.

Ceilings are my least favorite to paint, but it sounds like she's outgrown them. I'd change it.

The bookcase is called BILLY.

Have fun!
    Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 9:15AM
suemark
You can leave the ceiling. Pink walls. Grey and white zebra rug or flokati from Rugs USA are affordable. Paint the bed and the dresser white. Then the Ikea bookcases will work-I'd put two in the room, on on either side of the bed for all her books/things. I'd never match paint to bedding-that paint will be up a lot longer than any bedding, so pick a color you love, then add bedding-it can always be white if you cannot find a print/stipe that you love.

Check out my pinterest board :http://pinterest.com/susanstargirl/ashley-apt/
    Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 9:05AM
chardv
We did a room with two walls pink (not a pale pink) and two walls black (which easily could be a black and white animal print). Looks great. You can paint pink and accessorize with animal print. Paint the dresser black. Mom, got let go of the ceiling and paint it. Your girl is growing up. How exciting!
    Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 9:09AM
Dixie Landers
You can leave the ceiling but hang some mosquito netting/tuille fabric that does three things: 1. keeps it for you and covers it for her, 2. surrounds the bed, and 3. carry it all the way to the windows as the window covering (since It looks like you have shades)
    Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 2:35PM
beulah61521
So much information for you here.

If you want tasteful yet something that will grow with her I agree with painting the furniture to match the bed better, dark brown or black. Sorry, but yea the ceiling needs to be painted too. I would paint three walls the same color, pale pink. Get the shades from the bedding and accessories you buy. Paint an accent wall, behind the bed different. Buying the bedding and accessories will make choosing your paint colors easier. I would definately match the bedding to the draperies to pull it together. A nice swag lamp too for over the bed. barnhartgallery was right 8 becomes 18 quickly. Remember the paint you choose will have to be painted over in a few years, don't go too dark or you'll be repainting it at least twice to cover it. As far as storage think underbed and taller. A tall bookcase or desk with a hutch of shelves between the windows would be lovely. You could probably find one second hand and paint it to match the other furniture. There are many paints out there for furniture and it hold up awesome. If you paint used pieces they will look like new.

Good luck, and post pics afterwards.

This is a long link but has dozens of ideas. http://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+animal+theme+girls+rooms&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aTKCT_i5IIOHgweAx8H1Bw&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1209&bih=573#hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-Address&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=pictures+of+animal+print+and+pink+girls+rooms&oq=pictures+of+animal+print+and+pink+girls+rooms&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=img.3...29699l38820l0l39470l14l14l0l1l0l0l108l1170l12j1l13l0.frgbld.&fp=1&biw=1209&bih=573&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&cad=b
    Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 6:11PM
gshyluk
Hello,
My 7-year old daughter wanted a similar theme and we took some ideas from this picture: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_L-deInbQA9c/S0Ll1xUBS7I/AAAAAAAAFvo/bE44bIeEodg/s640/hot+pink+teen+bedroom.JPG
We weren't ready to commit to the hot pink walls, so left them a neutral pale blue colour. Thought we might need to paint, but it actually looks just fine the way it is. We bought a hot pink comforter, a black fur throw for the end of the bed, and a zebra accent cushion. She had sheer pink curtain. I removed the pink tabs and replaced them with pink/black zebra print tabs. The items in the inspiration picture (furniture, zebra picture) were from Ikea. We picked up some of these.
Our daughter loves her room! Have fun.
    Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 2:04PM
gshyluk
Here are some pictures of my daughter's room. Zebra print baskets were easy to find at Home Sense (Marshall's). Light fixture is from Canadian Tire.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 2:20PM
Robin Darlow
Sorry, but if my daughter was only eight, I'd ask her to chose between the pink and animal theme and not try to combine them both (there's always stuffed animals). I have exactly the same bed in my home and I wouldn't suggest you paint the wooden knobs as they are very minor and unobtrusive. Leave them alone. If your daughter loves pink, how about a Parisian theme? Pink, black and white. A fun room for a little girl. How about black and white striped wallpaper like a hatbox! Dressers can be painted. How about pink sheers (63") ... and don't get skimpy. Make sure you hv at least 2 1/2 times the window width so they're nice and full. I wouldn't go with drapery panels for a little girl. More suited for an adult room. I don't agree with unifying the room with matching window dressing and bed. Bed is large and dominates the room. Matching would suffocate the room. Above all else, your daughter is only eight. Have fun with it!
    Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 2:39PM
GizV
The way I've repainted furniture is: lightly sand, clean it very well, prime it with something like Bullseye, then paint the color. I think the furniture will look great in black and appropriate even when she is older. Black against pink looks striking I think.
A couple of floor pillows and the bedspread in a black and white animal print will be cute. I like the previous idea of keeping the curtains white. You can use light blocking material if light control is an issue.
    Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 3:58PM
vtlady52
Little girls love pink! I would go with a very light pink, almost a barely pink, on the walls. Then, if you are so inclined, go ahead with the brown animal print. I have seen quite a bit in pink and brown that is "giraffe." Pillows would be enough, I would think. If you are squeamish about the animal print, go with toile. Pink toile is amazing and you can mix it with yellow (very girly,) black (more dramatic,) brown (more subtle,) or white (neutral.)
I would stick with neutral curtains. Your sheers are still pretty but the toile would be nice, too. Keep the blinds for privacy. I love the bed. It will grow up with her.
Does she still like the fairy tale theme that she has now? If so, you could go crazy with that, too. Lots of sheers, enlarge the netting over her bed, paint the dresser to match the fairy tale. She is still a bit young so don't go too overboard. She will want less pink frills in 4 or 5 years!
    Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 5:23PM
sotodog
I've spoken with her a little more and this is what she says she wants:

- Keep the comforter
- Beige or light walls look too 'adult'; she wants hot pink/magenta walls
- She likes the canopy (but she has outgrown princess which is what it is but she doesn't see)
- She wants the ceiling white (we'll do that)

Yesterday I found a beautiful giraffe throw that is mostly chocolate with beige. It looks nice at the foot of the bed and she was very happy with it. I was thinking of getting giraffe sheets because it doesn't seem like it would be too overwhelming as not very much would be exposed but giraffe sheets are hard to find especially in chocolate. I'm not 100% sure about that plan anyway.

The other day we were at Ikea and she saw those paper latern ball lights (?) that she wants instead of her ceiling fan which she rarely uses. Would that work?

I don't mind painting one wall (the one behind her bed) or 1/2 the walls (above/below chair rail or something) of the color pink she wants but the entire room seems a bit much.
    Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 5:56AM
GizV
An accent wall of a deep pink that works well with her bedspread sounds reasonable. Then paint the rest of the walls a very pale version of the pink as a compromise. I saw an hgtv make over with a pink theme. Instead of walls in pink they did the bedding in pink with other accents in the brighter colors, like floor pillows. Take a look at some of these ideas and see what she thinks. http://www.hgtv.com/kids-rooms/12-simple-design-ideas-for-girls-bedrooms/pictures/index.html
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 6:11AM
beulah61521
One accent wall in the hot pink/magenta would be perfect, not too overwhelming. Maybe one other wall could have a hanging quilt etc that is also bolder and the curtains could be bolder. But I agree the whole room in the darker color would be a bit much. I loved the first pic in the above link to hgtv! But others showed how black furniture worked too.
    Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 8:23AM
Robin Darlow
Re the paper lanterns. I don't love these but I do love my daughter. You're not trying to win a contest. If it makes her happy, do it!!! That and they don't carry a hefty price tag. Look at it as an investment in her happiness. She's only eight after all and those paper lanterns will become "old" pretty quickly once she grows up. And re the paint, look at it as it's only a gallon of paint. It can be changed later on. Her room will still look lovely with what has been proposed or what you are going to do.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 12:17PM
GizV
It will take two gallons of paint to cover a strong color like magenta. One a primer and then the Color. Hmmm. Not a bad investment in helping your daughter explore her creativity. it sounds like this is a bonding project for the two of you and I hope you post final results for us to enjoy.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 2:57PM
Robin Darlow
Make sure you tint your primer. It will make your life a lot easier when it comes to painting the wall whatever color you choose.
    Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 5:20PM
chernovaarina
You can maake the room one wall pink that has the bed and the other walls green
also you can make the bedding cheetah and add pink pillows and bedskirt and other decor instead of zebra and pink since it would match with the furniture better
you can add baskets to store things on the shelf and buy inexspensive cute pink or maybe even cheetah curtains.
    Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 8:25PM
chernovaarina
    Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 8:25PM
EnvironmentalLights.com
Put in some pink LED Christmas lights - they are very energy-efficient so they won't heat up - and they'll give you a little extra pizazz!
http://www.environmentallights.com/christmas/pinklights.html
    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 3:55PM
sotodog
We have not made a decision yet but I have 1 more specific question. Can you show me pictures of nightstands that you think would coordinate with the bed and the dresser already in the room? I was thinking of putting some kind of shelf, maybe a ladder style?, between her bed and the wall with the windows. This will give more display area. I think a dark wood color would look better as the light ones tend to be white and that would be too stark I think. Would a creamy white color work?
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 7:53AM
GizV
I found this one on Amazon. Teamson Kids Crackle Rose End Table by Teamson Design Corp. $90. And later you could sand and paint it over. I like the style because it has the curves of the head board. I would match the color tone of the display unit with the end tables for continuity.
    Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 8:50AM
sotodog
Would this piece work with the dresser and bed?
    Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 10:09AM
Need help with layout of my daughters room
Need help with my daughters room. She is almost 5 years...
coco7244
Need help decorating my daughters room!!
I'm helping redecorate my daughter, 15, room. She likes...
myajane
Need help for my daughters room
I has two daughters of 3 and 4 years. I want to create...
Ameenah Jaulim
Need help with paint in almost adjoining rooms
I really need help,painted my daughters room with metropolitan...
trina124
Need help designing my daughter room!!!
New construction, my daughter is 5 years old, she picked...
waynesam
Need help with my living room
I don`t know, but something is wrong with this living...
Tia Mia
Garden and Home Show in Denver, Feb. 7-15th, Colorado Convention Cente
Will be speaking on Thursday, Feb. 12th at 6:00 pm...
Barbara Barton & Associates
Furniture arrangement help for new Family Room!
We are finishing a renovation that opens up the kitchen...
khinlei
What do you think about Sheet Vinyl?
Here at Allan Rug we carry many types of flooring and...
Allan Rug Company
HANGING A SMALL LEVELOR BLIND WITH VELCRO STRIPS
I had white marble installed by my contractor for my...
harris101