how to handle 2 focal points in a family room
dramaqueen313
April 5, 2012 in Photo Questions
I have a fireplace built into 1 wall and the tv on the adjacent wall....we have an open concept family room/kitchen and the tv was placed by my husband where it can be viewed at every angle. in both the kitchen and f/r...he does ot want me to move it! help?
Hi there! Do you have a photo of your room that you can attach here to get a better idea of what might work for your space?
0 Likes   April 9, 2012 at 10:59AM
dramaqueen313
here is a picture, let if you need more...people gather in this space I want it to be chic, modern but yet functional and kid friendly(toys will be gone as well as everything else in the space currently- i have a two year old and a 13 yr old..I was thinking about adding some sort of modern cabinetry on the wall that the tv is on...this room has very high ceilings also. i am thnking of leather furniture for durability and easy wipe ups.
0 Likes   April 11, 2012 at 6:45AM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
I would put a long credenza under the tv for storage, add tall side window panels (see pix below) to give some warmth and dimension to the space, keep the fabric a nuetral. A fun large graphic print rug to ground the large open space. A few modern lamps would add interest. I prefer light walls like you have and have the accessories be the focal point, not the wall color. Good luck!
0 Likes   April 11, 2012 at 7:18AM
Michael FitzSimmons Decorative Arts
A mistake a lot of people make is to plan the room around the tv as if it will always be on. Sometimes it is not, and you need to provide for those times as well. I agree with Kelli about a long console / credenza underneath the tv, and I would actually get a larger one, if that is a possibility, and maybe mount it a little lower. You want to avoid the airport boarding gate look, where the tv is placed high so everyone can see it!
Put your main, tv-watching seating facing it, like I believe you have, and then add some secondary seating, such as two comfortable club chairs with a low table between them, facing the fireplace. Also, I would move the sofa towards the frieplace a bit, so that it creates a sublte demarcation between the dining area and the seating group.
I also like Kelli's thought about window treatments. The space is a little sterile feeling at the moment, and the only real shots of color are the toys. Leather is an excellent choice for easy maintenance.
1 Like   April 11, 2012 at 8:11AM
dramaqueen313
I love the ideas/suggestions and I love the picture that Kelli attached.( I am a Kellye too), I am trying to warm up the space b/c it is so open and cold-yeah we have not done much since we built this home and moved in... I do have another question about paint color because of the open concept theme, should I use 1 color througout the family room and kitchen? was looking at doing some turquoise blue/grays/chocolate brown and a splash of orange- I was thinking of doing an accent wall-should that be the wall that teh tv is on or the one that the fireplace is on? I have only columns seperating the spaces, and I am currenty waiting for a modern kitchen set in black coming from Crate&Barrell with a matching hutch, leather smoke gray/brownish chairs- see pictures...I am also doing some pendant ighting and a modern like chanderlier over the table? any ideas? I need color suggestions please!
0 Likes   April 11, 2012 at 9:01AM
Jon Koehler
love the warm feel of the room compared to the cold winter outside the window.
0 Likes   July 24, 2013 at 12:23PM
Family room with 2 (!!) focal points advisable???
My soon to be built 15'x20' family room with a 5' walkway...
marelar
How to arrange furniture in long family room with TV focal point
We are finishing a rectangle shaped family room in...
famekab11
Help!: Living Room with 2 Entrances and (possibly) 2 focal points!
Attached is a rough layout of my front living room....
Ryan Richardson
Two focal points in family room
Our family room is a long rectangle with a fireplace...
ccalvert
Keep the tub or remove?
I will be putting in a shower should I keep the tub...
slh0303
Central pendants dilemma
Here's a very good example of our interior design approach...
VANGUARD development
Need help with colors for my bedroom.
I'm re-doing the paint in my room soon and need color...
madihotchkiss
Omg I just bought a couch and I want to return it but can't. Help me m
Room is across from kitchen at the entrance of the...
minnows
Should we remove the stone?
We are remodeling our rental property and not sure...
ouraustinhome