Need Advice: Regular or Counter depth refrigerator for a small kitchen
mojarashe
Our kitchen is an odd shape, confined area adjourning a family room. I tend to go for regular depth refrigerators as a more storage, less money option. We are updating our kitchen with new cabinets and upgraded (non-matching) appliances: wolf, bosch, ge cafe, etc. - want performance, not matching names. The refrigerator sits between an entrance way and the end of a counter. Does it make a difference or have a distinct advantage for replacing our current fridge with a counter depth versus regular depth one?
The distinct advantage to me would be a better look, not having the bulky refrigerator sticking out beyond the counter depth.

However, there is one distinct disadvantage and that is the considerable additional cost.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by mojarashe    July 26, 2014 at 11:24AM
If there is enough clearance in front of the fridge then save some money and go with the regular option.
    Bookmark   Thanked by mojarashe    July 26, 2014 at 11:30AM
Patricia Colwell
There is very little space difference between the two fridges because the counter depth ones have the compressor in the bottom not on the back if you get a good and you can actually find stuff in them. If you have room around a regular depth one then I usually build pull out pantries to enclose it so it looks built in, I hate them sticking out into space.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by mojarashe    July 26, 2014 at 11:48AM
In your situation I would do counter depth because when a refrigerator is next to an entry way, the amount it sticks out is even more awkward and noticeable. We too have a slightly oddly shaped kitchen adjoining a family room, and our fridge is next to an angled entryway with a counter on the opposite side. The old standard sized fridge always looked terrible there, but the counter depth one we now have, with a wood frame around it, looks almost seamless with the cabinetry. So the benefit is aesthetic. The downside, as you note, is expense and slightly less storage space inside (though they are good at configuring counter depth fridges to use up every inch of interior space efficiently).
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by mojarashe    July 26, 2014 at 11:54AM
mojarashe
Thank you all for your thinking and comments. The range of comments thus far illustrate our dilemma: counter depth yields a better appearance with fewer available cubic feet, for more money. We cannot fully enclose the unit, as the side next to the kitchen entrance has no allowance - fridge wall serves as side to the entry path. There is plenty of space in front of the fridge, so we are leaning towards Dytecture's advice to go with the regular option.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 12:24PM
Sagent Builders
If you have the space you can install a recess in the wall framing and pick up 3" in depth.
It will take some work but well worth the out come.
You will have to offset the outlet to the side.
Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by mojarashe    July 26, 2014 at 1:30PM
mojarashe
Thanks, SAG - We'll check it out since your suggestion could allow me to keep the additional cubic feet of a regular size fridge.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 2:28PM
If you recess a regular sized fridge, you might also gain enough space to build a narrow frame around it, making it look more finished. Most counter-depth fridges are a bit wider than full sized ones.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 2:44PM
They also hold less since they are not as deep.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 3:22PM
River Valley Cabinet Works
This question has come up before. From what I have been told, go regular, You pay more for counter top depth, and you can't put a large pizza box or large relish tray in them.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 5:34PM
beachlily
I agree with Patricia Colwell. We just did a kitchen renovation but had fairly new appliances ...our contractor saved us money by building out pantry on either side of frig. so it looks built in!
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 5:43PM
Gina
We just remodeled our kitchen and at first we were going to go with a counter depth frig to get the built in look but after looking at many models came to the conclusion that they just didn’t have enough room in them. We went to our cabinet man and he was able to design our cabinets around the frig giving it a built in look. We are very pleased.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 5:53PM
adivra
I gained space with my new Kitchen Aid counter depth french door (22 cf) versus my old Samsung french door that was 4 cf larger. I did not want to get a new one but the husband and contractor convinced me and short of an actual built in, I am so happy a made the change. And, yes, they cost way more. The deli tray is huge, the freezer has three sections, two of which hold multiple pizza boxes and the door bins hold everythig I need them to hold. Easy to clean inside and out.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 6:01PM
River Valley Cabinet Works
@Gina-That's what I did with my regular depth refrigerator-I built the surround about 29" deep.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 6:33PM
counter-depth refrigerator ~ thoughts?
We are completely gutting our kitchen. Currently...
deal67
diannthusdesigns
Counter depth refrigerator
I'm finding it hard to find a French door refrigerator...
martyjones
counter depth refrigerator
Has anyone here ever purchased a refrigerator that...
foreverfarm11
Please help--conflicting advice from designers about island in narrow kitchen
I posted on here about a week and a half ago about...
ksal2010
Is it easy to put hardwood in later?
Hey everyone, we may be buying a fairly costly house...
mehersingh
Kitchen remodel
I want to remodel my kitchen. I'm planning on getting...
Charmayne Staser Fletcher
Help finish decorating my living room!
We recently finished a major remodeling, enlarging...
cjhp22
Is another shelving unit recommended?
Would a duplicate shelving unit offer more balance?...
dwhill
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie