Dining Room Help
agoslee
I want to paint or wallpaper my dining room as well as hang drapes but am struggling with colors. At the moment it looks really boring. I am thinking of takig off the hutch top piece and putting the mirror above the console. Please help, I'm am stuck......
anitadavis
I think taking the top off the hutch and replacing it with the mirror is a good idea. Are you thinking of changing the paint color?
0 Likes   Thanked by agoslee    July 26, 2014 at 12:22PM
Maureen
Do you need the top for storage? If not, I would remove and look for a very large piece of artwork in various deep pastels. Paint color I would recommend is the wheat color that seems to be in your carpet. Consider two tone drapes, one color wheat and the other a color from the art. If having made, see 2nd picture - seam would be at the same level as edge of molding. houzz=Modern dining room]; [houzz=Library & TV Room]
0 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 12:24PM
agoslee
Yes, I want to paint or wallpaper.
0 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 12:26PM
leelee
Take the top off the hutch and use it as a buffet. The shelf part really darkens the room and it will tend to look cluttered and busy.

Add a large painting with some color and interest over it.

Put a live palm or ficus in the corner to warm the room.
1 Like   July 26, 2014 at 12:26PM
kacel
Existing Paint color is too pink for the rug. Tone down the pink with new paint or wallpaper tone on tone over it. Then paint inside of shelving an accent color from elsewhere in house (got a green or teal used anywhere?), and add colorful art on either side of sideboard. You've got a classy start for design there!
0 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 12:27PM
leelee
No mirror, add art instead.
3 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 12:27PM
anitadavis
What about painting the ceiling? So dramatic!
2 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 12:45PM
MarleneM
Mirror is in good place right now because it's across from windows and would reflect outdoors and chandeliers. I agree with removing hutch and adding art above buffet. That would add a wow factor.
Look at this paint and wallpaper collection from Sherwin Williams called liveable luxe. The Wool Skien might be a good choice. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/hgtv-home-by-sherwin-williams/color-palettes/liveable-luxe/ http://www.sherwin-williams.com/wcm/idc/groups/public/@swpublic/@sherwin-williams/@content/documents/webcontent/mdaw/mde5/~edisp/pdf-hgtv-liveableluxe.pdf
1 Like   July 26, 2014 at 1:14PM
collettec
I would remove the hutch top. One possibility to consider for the walls would be going with a more dramatic color, perhaps something like a royal blue. Another possibility to consider, if going with a wallpaper, would be a metallic patterned wallpaper in a taupe, which would work with your mirror and lighting.
0 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 2:01PM
agoslee
Thanks so much for all the suggestions!!!! I am more of a soothing color gal. I def don't want a brown or beige as I feel like with the rug and furniture there is enough brown. Def open to paint colors and drape combos. Also a lot of you mentioned art. Can you provide some websites if you know of any?
0 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 4:19PM
Maureen
Teal grasscloth would look wonderful with wheat colored linen drapes on a rod with crystal finials. There are some really good Quebec artists that you may find intresting. In website link (below) go to Artists then Painter. [houzz=
]; http://quebec.artistsincanada.com/artist/browse/painter-quebec/?category=5®ion=12
0 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 4:41PM
MarleneM
www.etsy.com is a great place to get an original piece of art.
1 Like   July 26, 2014 at 4:58PM
Maybe you should rethink the rug. It is too wide for the width of the table and too short for the length of it. Should b 4' wider and longer so the chairs don't fall off it when in use. You could rethink your color palette based on a new, and correctly sized rug.
1 Like   July 26, 2014 at 9:59PM
Thos. Baker
It appears that the wall color clashes with the fabric on the chairs and the area rug. Overall, the room needs some variance in color. I'm posting ideas for area rugs with a complimentary wall color to the right.

Top left: Anna Persian Rug
Top right: Sherwin Williams First Star
Bottom left: Nourison India Rug
Bottom right: Farrow & Ball Lamp Room Gray

I would start with a new wall color and area rug that compliments the elegant chandelier and go from there toward art and other accents.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
2 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 1:11AM
sarainitaly
I like the mirror where it is, to reflect the window light. I also like the shelves on the hutch. (i love places to put things)

What about wallpapering the back of the hutch? Brings in texture, and you can go lighter, and display something pretty.

I agree with whoever above said the rug was too wide and short for your table. I think the room is pretty.
0 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 2:46AM
sarainitaly
Clean and simple is quite pretty. The room feels boring to you, perhaps, because it isn't staged, there is nothing on the shelves, or table, and no curtains. Dining Room
Casual elegance
5 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 3:04AM
dreamhomeinwkz
SarainItaly nailed it! I think the hutch is beautiful and provides lots of options for you, now & in the future to play up colors and to display things of STYLE (which can change easily and at a low cost). Changing the rug is key as well as well as what's on the table. A large white low ornate bowl filled with greenery and orchids that are tall and lacey with color would look GREAT and lighten up the table (and all the dark wood) and give some pop. You also have the ability to flank the hutch with paintings, mirrors which can change easily with your style - BEAUTIFUL ROOM!
1 Like   July 27, 2014 at 3:26AM
agoslee
Ok, so I am getting some clarity from all your suggestions!!!! I am thinking a soothing green or blue color walls. Any suggestions?
0 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 4:19PM
agoslee
Also, will go with the art work suggestion I think. Not sure what type of rug would go with the style chandeliers I chose and it looks like the rig is to short. What is the measurements it should be with the table?
0 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 4:22PM
CF Raines Interior Design
I think painting the walls a color maybe introduce a cool color like a grey blue on the upper walls. Everything seems too brown or beige. Your rug is a little short for the table, not sure you have it in your budget for a new rug but the ones shown above from Thos Baker would be really nice with the walls in one of those grey blue colors. Definitely soften up with fabric window treatments, maybe in a off white linen roman shade. I would remove the top of hutch and do artwork above cabinet to keep the lines clean and uncluttered. You could even paint the ceiling a lighter version of the whatever color you choose for the walls to create more intimacy and a little more dramatic feel.
0 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 4:48PM
Thos. Baker
Here's a couple of samples of blue. One is teal blue and the other is slate blue. One is green based and the other is gray based. I recommend changing the area rug to fit the dining table and compliment the wall color.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
1 Like   Thanked by agoslee    July 28, 2014 at 1:43AM
cindyguent
Agoslee, please give dimensions of your table and room so someone can give you the proper size rug you need. Is your current rug square or rectangular? Also, might you consider removing leaf of table(if in) for everyday use if buying new carpet is not in budget?
0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 4:04AM
leelee
Could you turn the rug in the other direction? It needs to be lengthwise rug to lengthwise table if it's not already--hard to tell on the screen.
0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 4:55AM
agoslee
Christi-I LOVE the second rug you recommended. Can you provide details of where I can find the price point and also the paint and make names? I have a pale gray in my family room so I don't want it to be the same color. Thanks so much!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. Would you do white or cream drapes?
0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 5:13AM
Thos. Baker
Hi agoslee,

Glad to have posted what you were looking for.

The rug is Safavieh Wyndham Blue & Ivory. It can be purchased at:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Safavieh-Wyndham-Blue-Ivory-8-75-ft-x-12-ft-Area-Rug-WYD372A-9/204592543

http://www.rugstudio.com/safaviehwyndhamwyd372ablue-ivoryarearug.aspx

The paint color to the right of the rug is Sherwin Williams Tradewind.

The rug is described as being blue and ivory, but it looks blue and white on my screen. I would match the curtains to the the ivory (or white?) color in the rug once you've purchased it and can see it in person. Better to be sure before buying curtains!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
1 Like   July 29, 2014 at 9:24PM
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
kris0330
Living room dining room turned great room Help
Green parson chairs keep paint red walls some new color...
tonjamc
Need help for living room dining room one room paint color
Living room dining room Would like to do all white....
kathryn1404
Need help in room flow between kitchen,dining room, living room in Raised ranch
I am ready to redo my entire 2nd level of my raised...
rew147
Help decorate sitting room between living room and dining room.
I have this space I don't know what to do with. It...
Stacia Luigi
Closet door help, please!
We need help figuring out what to do for the under...
Amanda
Master bedroom design
We are going over the garage to make a bedroom suite...
will1boy
Kitchen lighting
So many issues! Support beam takes away any pendent...
klekas65
HELP FOR NEW SOFA COLOR PLEASE!!!!
CHANGING COLOR SCHEME- NO MORE RED! room is painted...
house2514
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
stryker