Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetieferret

Need help with cedar siding stain

sweetieferret
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Hi, I just bought a pre-foreclosure. It was built in the late 1980's and i BELIEVE the siding is cedar #3 ( it has a fair amount of knots in it) The siding was SO bad in some places that we had to replace individual boards and sections or clusters of siding. The result is a patchwork look. Brand new siding and old, aged siding all mixed together. Additionally we had to replace ALL of the windows, sliders, and skylights. In the process the siding surrounding the windows literally broke, splintered, and fractured. So we had to frame each window and slider. In the long run this will probably be a good thing since it gives design to the house but right now it is just adding to the patchwork quilt look of the house.

We are also going to redo the decks. so we need to choose a stain for the house and a contrasting color for the trim and around the windows.and then decide on decking colors

Can you please offer me help on how to select a color for the house? We are thinking something in the brown or gray family.. It is a contemporary and it is on a pond.

Here are 3 images of red cedar that i really love. Is there any way to get my white cedar #3 to look like red cedar?????? And a few images of my house.

Thank you in advance your help and thoughts. I truly appreciate help, advice, thoughts, ideas etc.

Comments (2)