1920s Cottage Needs Updating
mgaglioti
Hello all, I just purchased an older home with a lot of charm. It needs some TLC. I was hoping for some ideas on colors and ways to improve the home while maintaining its originality.

Look forward to hearing back from everyone!
Curt D'Onofrio
At the onset the one thing i would change is the porch area. I like vertical supports with curves and a railing as in this photo http://www.mvpweatherwise.com/images/products/Columns/large/Victorian%20Column%202_l.jpg
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 8:39PM
mgaglioti
Thanks for the comment!

Also need some tips on bathroom updates and ideas to spruce up the old fireplaces. I have so much stained wood trim. I feel like I shouldn't paint over them

Right now I'm thinking of adding some bead board wainscoting and painting the underbelly of the claw foot tub
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 8:50PM
Curt D'Onofrio
I luv those floors + baseboard + wood stain around fireplace. I would paint those little shelves in last pic flat white. Who ever thought of putting them there. Kudos to them (a great idea to putting collectibles up there)
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 9:05PM
hambirg
I actually like the porch posts . . .kind of a Minimalist Traditional feel. My house is that style and was built in 1920. There are many homes in my neighborhood that have the same straight posts. You could put up a railing, but I don't think it's a big priority. (see pic below)

I think I would keep the walls light because of all the dark wood finishes. And if your house is like mine, the rooms are charming (read small!) Keep that in mind when buying furniture. What style do you like and what does your current furniture look like?

Obviously your kitchen was updated at some point. It doesn't look so bad and certainly looks functional. I would change out that light though. Maybe something like a line of schoolhouse pendants might work. Also consider running undercabinet lighting if that ceiling light is the only light source.

]
4 Likes    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 9:05PM
mcbriec
Very cute house. I would do minor updates like painting and would wait to do any significant remodeling. You need time to absorb the space and really figure out exactly how you use the home before making major decisions.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 9:12PM
MarleneM
Very cute house and I think the woodwork and house looks to be in great shape and needs decoration more than TLC. Those shelves I believe are plate rails and are typical of the era and style of house.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 10:06PM
dizzytizzy
I agree with hambirg re: the porch posts. Please don't change the original appearance of this lovely little house.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 6:05AM
bschr
Your new home is beautiful. I agree that you should live in it for awhile before you do anything.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 6:28AM
Sophie Wheeler
First, do no harm. Stop yourself from making any changes at all until you have a better feel for what is appropriate historically.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 6:56AM
Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
You woodwork is really nice. If it is in good shape, leave it alone. If it is somewhat beat up, refinish it, NO painting it. The biggest thing I see that needs improvement is the kitchen. If mine, I would redo it in a craftsman style to match the rest of the house. But as Sophie says do what is appropriate, not what is trendy. You've got a great comfy home.

2 Likes    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 7:49AM
andygwen
Ironically I am in the same position. I purchased a building that dates back to the 1700's with amazing history. it was at one point the county jail then a residence and converted to 3 apartments and a retail space. I am currently renovating a vacant apt. The previous owner of the building neglected it terribly.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 8:14AM
mgaglioti
I've been doing some research and apparently the home may have been owned by ancestors of Thomas Paine (author of Common Sense)

I'm doing a renovation loan so I have to come to the table with my plan. Right now I'm just going to clean up the existing space and build a small master suite and a garage addition on the back of the house

I have a fireplace that is seen from the dining and living rooms in the front of the house.

I'm debating if I should open that wall up and leave only the exposed brick and mantles so your able to see through and open the floor plan up
    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 8:25AM
mgaglioti
Here is a view of the dining room (with built in pantry) and the living room. I'm considering opening up that wall (pantry would have to be repurposed into the kitchen)

What are your thoughts of opening that wall and leaving the exposed brick fireplace with mantles?
    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 8:28AM
mgaglioti
All original trim and woodwork will be saved and used elsewhere throughout the house. Especially the doors and stained trim! It's all in immaculate condition
    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 8:30AM
Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
If it was my home and since it has a connection to such a famous person. I wouldn't touch the original floor plan. If it has been altered since they lived in it, I would try to put it back to what it was like at the time, but that's not an absolute, just my opinion. But, to open up old walls to make it trendy is not appropriate for a historical house.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 8:37AM
Sophie Wheeler
It would be a huge mistake to try to force a modern layout on that home by opening up walls. You'd be destroying theoriginal detail and character that makes it appealing. You'd also be financially destroying the value of the home to alter it in such a radical way from it's originality. What's fashionable comes and goes. And you can never replace what you destroy.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 8:52AM
mgaglioti
Thanks for all the comments.

I have to do some opening up. Both the living and dining room are so tiny they are almost unusable space.

I want to make this into a home that will actually use all the square footage.

Appreciate the comments and will te look plans
    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 8:56AM
mcbriec
This is a home that you need to live in as a member of modern society. Your home is not a museum which must be left in a historic condition that is inimical to your lifestyle.

If it were mine, I would modify it to reflect my current living needs, while maintaining, to the extent practicable, the overall historic feel. Having said that, I'm not quite sure how to open up that room with the fireplace and think the services of a good architect would be invaluable.
    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 7:52PM
Need help for a family room - 1920s house
We have a house that was built in the 1920s. In the...
backcheck
Wrap around porch on 1920s Art Deco country villa
Have just purchased the above for retirement. have...
cooguehouse
1920s old wooden beam ceilings
I have some paint questions! I've attached pictures...
Nicolette Eberline
I NEED HELP DECORATING MY 1920'S COTTAGE
We were transferred from New York City to Florida....
Allison Thompson
Desperately need help updating a 1920s apartment!
My roommate and I are in college and will be moving...
Laura Dyer
I need a new rug for this room...
Room is about 12.5" x 12.5". I need a rug that will...
Debbie
Nursery ideas
I need help with a collage wall I'm putting together...
schillinger
Please help in bringing some life to my living room...
Hi, We moved to our place few months back and since...
arunanegi
Where can I buy Rectangular Silver Metallic Mirror for Powder Room?
QUESTION: Where can I find a rectangular, metallic...
Kelley
Living room decor assistance needed!
Been renovating our living room since May 2014, added...
cozy4unme