80's Kitchen Dilemma!! Help!

Jiyeaon ChangJuly 27, 2014
My kitchen has a very unique shape which is very bitter and sweet. Firstly it is tiny. Secondly it is seperated from dining room. Thirdly...it has a window I feel like to save, but every designer asked me to put the wall to increase the cabinet space. I am not an architect or anything. But somehow I feel like this window has meaning to the house. As the two pictures show, kitchen and dining room is seperated. I want to open up to make a bigger space. If I knock down the wal,l I will lose all the cabinet space; so I am trying to keep the bottom cabinets and open the upper wall except the end of the wall, whicn is the pantry space and that will be used for refregirator .
Any idea for my kitchen renovation?
Should I keep the window? or put up the wall and make more cabinet space? What do you think??
If you don't require two eating areas then opening up the wall would be a good option.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jiyeaon Chang    July 27, 2014 at 5:32AM
apple_pie_order
Which wall do you want to remove? Draw the floor plan. You can use the online Ikea kitchen planner - quick, easy. Or google sketchup.
    Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 6:06AM
Maureen
Really like the window and I can see an l-shaped banquette there - with storage underneath and what a perfect place to sit. Regarding the half wall idea into dining room, I don't think I would lose cabinet space for the sake of a 1/2 wall. You would then require more cabinets and your window (and banquette) would be lost. To make these worth losing, perhaps think about taking down the area where the fridge and pantry are. Then with window eliminated, build in the fridge into a wall of cabinetry (panty to the left and cabinets above meeting others at the corner). You still might be able to do a small banquette and two chairs under other window.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jiyeaon Chang    July 27, 2014 at 6:37AM
rainymorning
Keep that window over the sink. Could you remove the island and put up a long horizontal bar with cabinets for storage and an extended top for dining. It would make for a larger kitchen dining combo. You could then put cabinets underneath both windows and no need to remove any walls.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Jiyeaon Chang    July 27, 2014 at 9:11AM
Lumens Lighting & Power LLC
One of the things you might want to consider is LED Lighting. I would consider under cabinet lighting as well as above cabinet lighting. If you have any glass doors on the cabinets you might consider interior lighting as well.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jiyeaon Chang    July 27, 2014 at 11:00AM
80's oak kitchen needs short term paint facelift / makeover?
We are moving into a 50's bungalow with a dated 80's...
Jill Finney / Rocket Designs
80s Kitchen needs an update
Just bought this house today and can't wait to get...
Tara Smith
Need help with my 80's kitchen
We are wanting to remodel our kitchen this year. It...
tamigirl1
80's Nightmare......kitchen
Our Florida home is stuck in the 80's. We are getting...
bbretz
Help with 80's style windows
We just purchased a new home and my biggest dilemma...
Valerie Herrin
Feed back on area rug
Does this rug work with my colors?
nduthu
Need help cheering up a dark kitchen
I got such good ideas on my tiny bathroom, now I present...
domesticimpostor
Tumble Stone Marble
Can I paint a tumble stone marble backsplash?
ruthchii
Help: Powder Bathroom Lighting Ideas?
Hi! I recently moved, but the new house (old house...
Sara Puentes