80's Kitchen Dilemma!! Help!

Jiyeaon ChangJuly 27, 2014
My kitchen has a very unique shape which is very bitter and sweet. Firstly it is tiny. Secondly it is seperated from dining room. Thirdly...it has a window I feel like to save, but every designer asked me to put the wall to increase the cabinet space. I am not an architect or anything. But somehow I feel like this window has meaning to the house. As the two pictures show, kitchen and dining room is seperated. I want to open up to make a bigger space. If I knock down the wal,l I will lose all the cabinet space; so I am trying to keep the bottom cabinets and open the upper wall except the end of the wall, whicn is the pantry space and that will be used for refregirator .
Any idea for my kitchen renovation?
Should I keep the window? or put up the wall and make more cabinet space? What do you think??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
If you don't require two eating areas then opening up the wall would be a good option.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jiyeaon Chang    July 27, 2014 at 5:32AM
apple_pie_order
Which wall do you want to remove? Draw the floor plan. You can use the online Ikea kitchen planner - quick, easy. Or google sketchup.
    Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 6:06AM
Maureen
Really like the window and I can see an l-shaped banquette there - with storage underneath and what a perfect place to sit. Regarding the half wall idea into dining room, I don't think I would lose cabinet space for the sake of a 1/2 wall. You would then require more cabinets and your window (and banquette) would be lost. To make these worth losing, perhaps think about taking down the area where the fridge and pantry are. Then with window eliminated, build in the fridge into a wall of cabinetry (panty to the left and cabinets above meeting others at the corner). You still might be able to do a small banquette and two chairs under other window.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jiyeaon Chang    July 27, 2014 at 6:37AM
rainymorning
Keep that window over the sink. Could you remove the island and put up a long horizontal bar with cabinets for storage and an extended top for dining. It would make for a larger kitchen dining combo. You could then put cabinets underneath both windows and no need to remove any walls.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Jiyeaon Chang    July 27, 2014 at 9:11AM
PRO
Lumens Lighting & Power LLC
One of the things you might want to consider is LED Lighting. I would consider under cabinet lighting as well as above cabinet lighting. If you have any glass doors on the cabinets you might consider interior lighting as well.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jiyeaon Chang    July 27, 2014 at 11:00AM