Guest room re-design
Andrea
We are in the middle of repairing our guest room that had water damage. We ended up pulling out all of the drywall as we discovered problems with the way everything was done (eg. hidden electrical boxes, yay!). This house had an extension put on and this room was extended as part of that work by the previous owners. We discovered that the wall where the bedroom door was located was not properly built (we had cracking drywall because the wall wasn't properly fixed), so we decided to re-build this. On this wall was also a door to a 5'x7' walk-in closet that was quite cramped/awkward. Now that we have the wall down, we are debating moving the entry door and re-arranging the closet so that we can also incorporate a linen closet in this upstairs hall, which we feel this house is missing. We are ok with losing a little space from the walk-in in order to add a linen closet.
I have seen so many thoughtful answers on Houzz and would love to have people's input on whether or not this is a good idea. See plans below - I hope they're clear, this is my first attempt. Thank you!
Is the linen closet for bath towels, etc? Is it near a bathroom? I don't think a guest room needs a walk-in closet so i can see your new floorplan working.
   July 27, 2014 at 2:46PM
Andrea
Yes, for bath towels, as well as sheets for all 3 bedrooms. It's not far from the bathroom and we have no other storage for this type of stuff. I suppose this room could be a child's bedroom for future owners, but it would still have a decent-sized closet if we move things around this way, just not a walk-in. Thanks!
   July 27, 2014 at 5:29PM
Could be nice if this is the end of a hallway as one isn't looking into a bedroom.
   July 27, 2014 at 6:45PM
suzanne_m
You added a wall to the left on your second drawing, what room is behind that wall? Again in the second drawing, is your WIC behind the right door?
   July 27, 2014 at 9:02PM
suzanne_m
I don't know if you can have the closet on the top wall but I am taking my chances.
   July 27, 2014 at 9:30PM
suzanne_m
Looking at your second drawing, it seems that you are ok to lose a little bit of the bedroom. So I enlarged the closet:
   July 27, 2014 at 9:42PM
Andrea
Thanks suzanne_m! I'm sorry, I should have included the full floor plan (we're still working on that). The wall to the left is a bedroom and then the walk-in closet to the master, which is in the upper left corner. On the right where the wall ends at the top is where our stairs go down, so I don't think we could put a closet that direction, but I like the look of it! We thought about a very deep closet there, but the access wouldn't be great.
   July 28, 2014 at 6:55AM
Andrea
Dytecture, thanks for your comment. I wasn't sure what would be nicer at the end of the hall - light coming through from the bedroom (when the door is open) or nice closet doors. We are thinking of making them with opaque glass to lighten up that end of the hall if we do this. All of our doors are solid wood (cherry, I think), so it could get quite dark if we don't break it up with something else where all those doors are.
   July 28, 2014 at 6:57AM
ppf.
A floor plan of this and the surrounding rooms will help us.
   July 28, 2014 at 7:19AM
Andrea
Here's my attempt at the full floor plan, it's a little crooked in places but should give you a better idea. Suzanne_m, what program do you use for your plans?
   July 28, 2014 at 10:17AM
suzanne_m
I am using Visio from Microsoft. I noticed that you have some different measurements in the 3 layouts you showed us. Maybe some show us the measurements including the thickness of the walls? Is it possible to give us the actual inside measurements of the closet and the bedroom?
   July 28, 2014 at 11:24AM
Andrea
I was having trouble getting everything to match up. So, the actual measurements of the closet are 63" x 89". The room's right wall is thicker from the chimney (black box) to the window wall since it's also exterior, but if we ignore that for simplicity the room is 120" wide and 170" long.
   July 28, 2014 at 11:55AM
suzanne_m
These are 2 layouts ...very similar except that if you don't find that you have enough closet in the first layout, you can have a second smaller closet.
   July 28, 2014 at 12:56PM
ppf.
How much "linen" space do you need, and specifically, how deep would you like the shelves to be?
   July 28, 2014 at 2:34PM
Andrea
We don't need a ton of linen space, but thought it would add to the house to have this type of storage upstairs, rather than inside one of the bedroom closets. We were thinking 16" deep.
   July 28, 2014 at 5:27PM
suzanne_m
I had drawn this one in advance again similar to the ones above but you don't have the wasted space which is now gained in the bedroom. I was just waiting for you to tell us how big you wanted the linen closet. Good question ppf.
   July 28, 2014 at 5:35PM
ppf.
I might put everything back as it was, adding the linen cabinet at the end of the closet. It would be built in to the wall, and might even protrude into the closet a bit, depending on clearance in the hall.

To make it look like it is supposed to be there, I extended a wall out over the stairs.
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 5:42PM
suzanne_m
NIce ppf. Andrea is losing about only 1 ft of closet and the bedroom stays the same size.
   July 28, 2014 at 8:16PM
ppf.
This is outside the closet, or as I see it, built in to the corner of the closet. You might see the back of it from within the closet. I was trying to make it as deep as possible without intruding on the hall.

I added the bump out over the stairs to make it look more built in.

So the closet remains the same size.

The cabinet is 26" wide and 16" deep.

Better image of how new cabinet fits.
   July 28, 2014 at 8:49PM
Andrea
Wow, thank you so much for all of these ideas! Now we just need to decide on one and get to work!
   July 30, 2014 at 7:05AM
Re-designing living room. Ideas please!
We got a new place and I would like to give my living...
"I'm re-designing my room!"
i have no idea what to do with my room! I need suggestions....
Re-design Living and dining room
Please, I need advice or ideas on these areas. Thanks!!!...
I've re-designed my room in last 1 month
And now, I notice no place for my school books, pens...
Re-designing room
What color is the wall paint?i
Kitchen nook help
Just got my cushions and pillows for my new nook. Need...
What to do with this mess?
I have no idea what to do with this room!? We moved...
Dated orangey oak kitchen
Just bought a 15 year old house with mostly original...
My living room
We recently painted our living room gray to match the...
Lamp suggestions for entry table
Can someone please help me pick out a lamp that would...