Need help selecting concrete floor color/design for basement
janetp1977
I have a 1955 mid century modern type split-level house. It has a formal den upstairs, so I am looking to do something cool/funky with the basement.
The room is about 10'8" wide & 30' long.
On the far end, the basement has a really neat granite/ Formica rock wall (primarily gray with some white and pinkish tones) with a wood burning fireplace. The walls on either side are a brown cypress wood. The entry is from the foyer, and opens up with no walls, however there is a wrought Iron rail goes all along the opening from the foyer and then down the stairs to the basement area.
I'm planning on staining/ painting the concrete floor and need advice regarding colors. I was thinking of going with a marble-like design, maybe using gray and blue colors. I even thought about doing something really funky, like swirling the marble into a yen yang at one point....
Any ideas regarding the concrete floor would be very much appreciated.
Also, I am planning on putting a bar on the right-hand side of the room near the window opposite from the stairs, and any cool layout ideas for the bar or general layout for a long narrow basement would also be appreciated.
Patricia Colwell
Are you going to pour new concrete or just play with the floor the way it is.
0 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 4:31PM
janetp1977
I will put a thin layer of concrete over the existing floor to make it a little more smooth.
0 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 5:36PM
You want to do a concrete overlay. I would not go funky. I would go with something that complements the foyer floor. A polished concrete would be very mid-mod.
Kid-Friendly Basement
Olentangy Falls ~ Delaware, OH
2 Likes   Thanked by janetp1977    July 27, 2014 at 6:37PM
Patricia Colwell
I agree leave the funky for a rug or art keep the floor simple and clean.
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 6:34AM
janetp1977
Thanks so much for the advice. The more I think about it the more I agree that leaving any of the funky stuff to be added as accent pieces makes a lot of sense.
If you have any advice regarding floor colors that would be warm and inviting, yet contribute to improving the light reflection in the area, I would definitely appreciate it. I have done a Sherwin-Williams comparison of the stone wall and wood walls and there are a wide range of complementary colors... Which doesn't make it very easy to choose, especially considering that my eye and the "photo analysis eye" don't see things in the same shades.... Thanks again for your help!
0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 1:36PM
janetp1977
Here are two pics of the floor work in progress. I had thought of adding some complementary green color to the mix...would that add value? Any suggestions about design changes or colors would be appreciated.

Pic 1 - base layer based on Sherwin Williams 6080 Utterly Beige
Pic 2 - 2nd layer to add gray marble effect
0 Likes   July 31, 2014 at 1:42PM
I wouldn't add green. Simpler is better, and also easier to decorate around. Besides, you've already got a lot going on with the stone and wood walls.
1 Like   July 31, 2014 at 1:59PM
snashby
I think your floor ideas a beautiful, but they will also only appeal to a specific market. If you are looking to add value this might not be the right solution. I know that if I were to walk into a home with concrete floors I would probably turn right back around, knowing I would have to change it for medical reasons. If this is something you love and are going to live with for a while, go for it! It's very beautif! But, if this is short term and you want to add value, look at other options.
1 Like   Thanked by janetp1977    July 31, 2014 at 2:52PM
Cancork Floor Inc.
Very beautiful. Sadly the first thing I want to do is cover the whole thing in carpet...to take away the chill and hardness. Other than that...it is very pretty.
1 Like   Thanked by janetp1977    July 31, 2014 at 4:07PM
I have a 1955 mid century modern type split-level house....
Need help with color/design fabric for "Ottoman"
I am recovering my ottoman that I made and the color...
Need help with color/design
Need help with introducing a color. Lean toward neutrals...
i need help picking color/design for an area rug
I am redoing a living room, my walls are a pale grey,...
Need help with tile color/design in bathroom
We are remodeling a house and trying to figure out...
What would you do? Botched tile job.
I have had multiple issues with my remodel. The latest...
Help my ugly little house
I know the landscaping needs help - I plan to go for...
Foyer chest decor
Please help me think of items/colors to use on this...
How many recessed lights in this space?
I am installing recessed lighting in my sunroom. The...
Suggestions on living room furniture/layout
Hi - I am getting new living room furniture to replace...