Ideas for dated kitchen in old cape cod
rpizzuti2401
Hi everyone,

Awesome site first of all. My fiancé and I are in the process of buying our first home. It's a 1940 built cape cod that has a lot of charm but is in desperate need of some updating. All of the painting will be done DIY along with finishing the wood floors but the kitchen is where we are looking for ideas.

The floor will be gone for tile and we want color on the walls. Originally the plan was paint these very well built solid wood cabinets white with new hardware, a darker granite or laminate (budget) counter, grey/white/black backsplash and light blue on the walls.

I've seen some contemporary stuff where the cabinets are left there natural color and the rest of the kitchen is updated with some color. I'm not sure what I want to do.

She needs work, but we will make it our own in time.
adivra
There is so much you can do. Paint is probably a good way to go. The glass fronts are nice. The doilies and valance need to go unless you're doing vintage. You need to decide on your style, new-traditional-vintage, etc....
3 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 6:33PM
marci4
I like the color of the cabinets and would not change them, although the hardware looks like it could stand some updating.

A new counter, backsplash, paint and flooring will go a long way towards updating the kitchen. You could also do something really fun with the insides of the upper cabinets: paint them in a contrasting color or even install panels with a fun pattern on them. If you use panels you can even change them out periodically.
3 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 6:37PM
sstarr
I love this kitchen. I would sand the cabinets and stain them just a bit darker and less yellow, then finish with a less glossy finish. New hardware and go!
Floor could be wood-look plank porcelain tiles.
I would remove the ceiling fan light, replace with recessed lighting if possible.
Take off the curly over-sink moulding.
Pretty super kitchen!
3 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 6:43PM
rpizzuti2401
Thanks for the fast replies everyone. We played with the idea of some color on the inside of the cabinets. What does everyone think for the tile counter and backsplash? We seen the wood look floor at Home Depot and loved it. Also, with leaving the cabinets that color, should we keep the trim in the room or paint white? I was going to paint the trim in the rest of the home white.
0 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 6:48PM
MarleneM
I like the idea of leaving them natural and updating rest of kitchen. I kinda like the hardware on them though. They suit them. I would remove sconce and replace with a hanging vintage look fixture.
4 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 6:54PM
sstarr
The best wood-look tile I'm aware of is Wood Talk from Ergon Engineered Stone, a division of Emil Ceramica (Italy). It comes in 4 tones, including a white. You can get this in the USA, but perhaps not from Home Depot.
3 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 6:56PM
rpizzuti2401
That tile is beautiful for sure. MarleneM that light will be out of there lol,
0 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 7:00PM
housegal200
You might want to post this on Apartment Therapy where you will find dozens of people who will tell you to embrace the authenticity of your house and not paint those solid wood cabinets just yet. Not that you should turn your new home into a 1940s shrine. The scalloping can go. But you can do a lot with paint. How about a hot yellow for the cabinet backs, and new lighting?

I'm throwing in a checkerboard look for the floor just to be an outlier, but it goes with the era while looking modern. (My former house had tile floor and it just kills your feet if you do a lot of cooking and won't quite work with your kitchen either.) Hang on to the authentic solid cabinet hardware. I've seen people kill for that at trendy flea markets and Ebay. At least live with them for awhile.

I rented a house temporarily that was something like this. The very sophisticated owner/artists kept the bones the same, removed some of the granny stuff, but kept everythinging that was solid and well made. They were about to do a checkerboard vinyl floor. It had solid linoleum surface counter that were incredibly tough and looked well . . . right! Loved the kitchen so much. This granite obsession doesn't honor a lot of period houses.

Anyway, you'll have lots to do in a first house. The kitchen is in good shape. (Oh, I would add a "swan" faucet as an upgrade, not for looks, but for practicality.) Do some great paint, the faucet, some cool lighting. Down the road there will be plenty of time to deal with countertops and such. I think your kitchen is great says she with the white painted cabinets (which I love but they weren't forties solid, wonderful cabinets.)
4 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 7:17PM
housegal200
If you decide to paint the cabinets down the road, here are some forties style upgrades:
8 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 7:33PM
studio10001
Another vote for retaining the low care wood cabinets as is. It looks like they have already been painted on the inside,so refreshing there wouldn't be out of order. Look at Karndean for a wood look floor that wears well in moist environs.
As requested, wood cabs w white trim:[houzz=
]
Plantation shutter update on a retro design:
2 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 8:07PM
studio10001
Radiator cover w cookbook storage ( paint it out to match wall):
5 Likes   July 27, 2014 at 8:10PM
rpizzuti2401
Lots of really great ideas!! I have to say, i kind of like the checkerboard floor. It adds a very vintage look while kind of being retro. The lighting above the sink with more retro lighting will be key and very easy. As far as the radiator covers, my best friends uncle is a wood worker and builds them. They look just like that one "studio10001" posted without the cookbook storage which is killer.

Just to add, the stove is currently free floating on the wall with the door to the stairs. Its an older stove that we need to replace anyways because its hooked up to propane. The house is gas. We'd like to find some sort of cabinetry we can put there for cheap that will also allow to add a microwave on top instead of on the counter.

While i agree the old plain formica counters may be appropriate for the house, the ones in here are very dated and starting to discolor. I get the feeling granite will be a little TOO high end for this kit? Will we be better off with a plainer laminate top?

Thanks again everyone.
0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 6:07AM
beachlily
Great kitchen with so much light!! Agree with everyone in keeping wood cabinets as they are.....I'd add that checkerboard floor and do a marble look quartz or soapstone on countertops. Classic subway tile for backsplash .
3 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 6:16AM
Anne
I agree on not messing with your lovely cabinets and keep the hardware if you like it! Have fun dressing up the insides with fun colors/papers and retro dishes. I agree that granite would appear out of place in this kitchen. There are some really fun laminates available. I like the idea of the checkerboard flooring.

Perhaps you could have your uncle's friend build a matching cabinet for your stove/microvent to match as well? Or scour craigslist to find a similar cabinet. I'm always amazed at the kitchen cabinets for sale on there. Do you have a Restore close by? My mom works at our local one and I know that they do keep lists of people looking for specific items and will contact you if something comes in.
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 6:40AM
allgranite
check these out for some ideas:

0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 7:02AM
rpizzuti2401
Will do. Cant believe the feedback already on this. I was figuring i'd see "gut that thing!" haha.
0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 7:10AM
apple_pie_order
Wonderful kitchen with loads of character and excellent condition cabinets. I suggest laminate countertops in whatever design you like: plain, retro, whatever.

When you are deciding on paint color for the inside of cabinets, think about what color your dishes are. Look for a contrast.

The only structural change I'd make is to add a dishwasher. The time to do it is now, when you are redoing the flooring, the countertops and the sink plumbing. THere are 18 inch models as well as 24 inch models. Use whatever size will fit without much change to the current cabinet configuration unless you have a large family and want a bigger dishwasher.

The hardware looks interesting. Do you have a close-up? The photos posted don't enlarge on my computer screen.
5 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 7:22AM
studio10001
Solid workmanship is always enviable. Yours is in great condition , has low maintenance and huge charm. Anybody that mentions the 'g' word should have their mouth washed out with the 's' word!
2 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 7:27AM
Sheri
I bet you can make this kitchen adorable. I like the idea of the checkerboard floor. I also like the idea of bringing some bright color in a fun backsplash too. Kitchen, bath, office
Retro Mosaic Backsplash

Keep us updated with what you do...I'd love to see how it turns out. :)
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 7:28AM
housegal200
I second the subway tile backsplash--classic and modern at the same time. I wish I were home--on vacation now--to look up the checkerboard brand I have in my own kitchen. It looks fantastic. I'll mention that when I was looking for kitchen flooring, I fell in love with something called Marmoleum which has fantastic vintage-but-not-too-cutesy paint splatter patterns. Great colors. Because we're in a modern condo, it didn't quite work as well as the checkerboard. Do Houzz and Apartment Therapy searches for "checkerboard kitchens." Oh, and since we're all spending your $$$, farmhouse sink??? :)

P.S. Also seconding getting your plumbing lined up before your changes.
2 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 8:36AM
rpizzuti2401
Man you guys are making my decision making hard. So many options! lol. With a checkerboard floor and a light subway backsplash, should i consider painting the remaining kitchen trim white? We originally thought a light blue would look good on the walls in the kitchen as well.

As far as the dishwasher that really hasnt been discussed but then again it never clicked that the perfect time to do it would be now. I'm sure i could get one on black friday for pretty cheap.
0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 12:31PM
housegal200
Here's a Pinterest link for forties kitchens with turquoise accents or walls etc. which goes well with brown http://www.pinterest.com/explore/turquoise-kitchen/
Look at the kitchen below. The original floor looks so similar to yours!

If you're going blue, a very, very pale turquoise/teal would look great. Keep in mind the color of your dishes, glassware, etc. against the color you choose.
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 2:41PM
Vivien
It's a very cool space! Personally I would leave the floor as is, at it's awesome! And then I'd use that as inspiration for the rest of the colour palette. Then I'd just repaint cabinetry, remove all the dated features like scalloping and doilies, swap out appliances and the cabinet hardware (knobs, handles, etc), put in a beautiful tile backsplash! Great bay window too!
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 3:01PM
housegal200
Team "Don't paint the cabinets" reporting in, but after seeing the floor in the photo I attached, keeping the tile is something to think about. Then you'd only have to paint back of cabinets and walls the pale teal, get the white subway tile, and light countertops, great lighting, and you'd have a fabulous kitchen. Over and out!

P.S. Something you can do that we did in our (non-retro) kitchen. We had the carpenter build out the existing cabinet over the fridge to make it more usable and give the space a finished, flush look.
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 3:09PM
Whispar Design
If you want a retro/vintage flair, you could use something like this over the kitchen sink. The wall mount is a cool fixture if you can work with the junction box routing.
Newberry Pendant
Wall Lights + Sconces
... or perhaps a semi-flush fixture to replace the ceiling fan (depending on overhead ceiling height.) The mercury glass adds a nice touch
HGTV Veronica Semi-Flush / Pendant
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 3:14PM
rpizzuti2401
Thanks again all. The only comment i disagree with is the floor. We both cannot stand it. Would I change my mind if I seen what you guys are talking about? Maybe. But as of right now I'd like to get that vinyl out and some tile in.
0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 4:11PM
Nolan Pelletier
I agree with everyone else who loves the vintage cabinets! Leave them as is! These kitchens were built to last, and it often doesn't take much to make them look as good as new.

The readers of the blog"Retro Renovation" would be drooling over your kitchen. Take a look at their website, and maybe you can start to see what a great home you have.
http://retrorenovation.com

They have lots of expertise on this sort of remodel, and regularly help homeowners find solutions to restoring and brightening up older homes. You should drop them a line before you change anything!

Thanks for sharing, really great space.
5 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 4:28PM
apple_pie_order
rpizzuti: you might enjoy putting a roll of brown kraft paper or white newsprint down on the floor for a couple of days. It blocks out the old pattern. The blank floor gives you space to think and envision something different. The patterned floor is currently the dominant thing in the kitchen.
5 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 5:07PM
flyr4fun
Tons of charm and potential, you have a great place! I'm firmly on team "DPTHC-(don't paint..." ) and I also love the period hardware and would leave that as well. I also agree that I could not live with that floor (careful removing it-asbestos?) Remove the granny items like someone mentioned and build your own style around the character of this charming home. As far as the rest of the trim in the house, the aprons around your windows are classic and gorgeous and are probably made from quality wood that is next to impossible to replicate today. Consider a change of stain color if that could work for you, and paint as a last resort if you really must. Good luck!
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 5:35PM
studio10001
Is it really vinyl, or is it linoleum? The latter is a workhorse, still available ( Farbo Marmoleum is a good resource) in tiles and sheet rolls, and worth looking at when you replace. It is possible you might find yourself liking the original more once some colour is added to the walls, and an area rug and accessories bring other details into the room...or when you start looking at replacement costs for equal quality :)) To apple's point of blocking out the pattern - if you do have lino, you can also paint it. The finish, once sealed can last five years or so before needing touch up, allowing you to take advantage of a superior material by giving it a new look.. Sheet linoleum is also a great material for countertops. You will need chrome trim, if you go for it.
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 6:07PM
kpappal
You might want to check out the vintage inspired colors and patterns ( boomerang, for example) of Formica. It comes in all the vintage colors and would really look great with your cabinets, which I'd paint if they were mine. Can't wait to see the end result.
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 6:21PM
baldwilm
Here is another vote for "don't paint the cabinets". The wood trim over the window and the hardware look fine, too. Just my opinion, but I don't think that a white subway tile backsplash would look good with the cabinets. Painting the back of the glass front cabinets and/or using bright colored dishes such as Depression glass, Fiestaware, or other vintage kitchenware would look fabulous in the cabinets.

My house is slightly newer (1950s) with cabinets of a similar color. (Unfortunately, without the glass front that I would love to have.) The previous owner did the updates which I do like: dark teal Formica counter trimmed with wood, bright yellow walls and back splash, white ceiling fan. The floor is 12 inch square, beige ceramic tile set on the diagonal to the cabinets. It looks nice, but vinyl flooring would be easier to keep clean.
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 7:49PM
rpizzuti2401
Any photos of your kitchen? Sounds nice. There's a lot to think about here but it's exciting. I know this though. Painting the cabinets will open up all options as far as the rest, but I feel keeping them makes choices a little more picky. I'm still really surprised how many people vote to keep the cabs how they are.

Just for fun, here's a shot of the outside. We love the house. Perfect starter home.
6 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 8:04PM
baldwilm
Rpizzuti2401, you have a very cute house. I understand what you are saying about keeping the cabinets the way they are makes the choices more picky. The current trends in colors of paint, light fixtures, etc don't work well with this color wood.

I will try to take a picture of my kitchen and upload it for you this week.
1 Like   July 28, 2014 at 8:50PM
rpizzuti2401
That would be cool! I forgot to respond to the flooring question. I believe its vinyl flooring as i read lino was stopped in the 50's sometime.
0 Likes   July 29, 2014 at 5:58AM
Amy Stanley
I love your cabinets and the hardware is fitting- I would get the doilies off the shelves and I agree with the floor change- if you are painting all the trim in the house though I feel like it would make sense to do it here as well- in which case I would be tempted to take it into the kitchen as well including the cabinets- white would pop those vintage handles and the accents- and lend to the cottage feel often found in cape cod style homes- I would put wood on the floor though.
1 Like   July 29, 2014 at 6:23AM
rpizzuti2401
I thought the same thing, Amy. It's either paint it all or leave it. I'm going to ask the inspector this weekend what he thinks that wood is. I heard oak is tough to paint if it is that.
0 Likes   July 29, 2014 at 6:29AM
studio10001
I'm supposed to be working, but saw this ( your possible colours?) and wanted to share - http://www.dotandbo.com/collections/time-capsule-1950s-retro-kitchen/14309-breakfast-march-kitchen-rug
0 Likes   July 29, 2014 at 9:47AM
rpizzuti2401
The link comes up with nothing? I may need to be a member or something.
0 Likes   July 29, 2014 at 11:06AM
studio10001
Well, nerts. Fun kitchen rug, coming up...
2 Likes   July 29, 2014 at 11:10AM
Stones Unlimited
I think the layout and base design of the cabinets is great. I would do a new stain to freshen up the color as well as give it an updated look. Remove the details over the sink area. If you could find new hardware that gives off a vintage feel with a slightly modern look that could help. A new counter top and back splash could dramatically change the look as well. You could look at quartz counter tops, they come in solid colors as well as granite/marble look a likes. This would give off a clean contemporary look that would still work well with the vintage design. A classic subway back splash would look great. White always looks classic and clean. You can also add a mosaic accent if you'd like to change up the look. Some new light fixtures will also update the space.

Another idea is to go to a tile/kitchen showroom, they can help you out as well as show you options. A lot of times it helps to see the actual material as lighting and texture can often change the feel completely.
2 Likes   July 29, 2014 at 2:40PM
rpizzuti2401
That's a cool rug lol. Thanks for the tips, stones. Are there any restaining options without stripping? What colors has everyone done In there kitchens while keeping similar cabinetry?
0 Likes   July 29, 2014 at 2:48PM
studio10001
You can ghost coat without stripping - lacquer glaze that retains some grain, while darkening. Funny this comes up, as we are now restoring cabs to your current colour; owner wants easy care finish, so I am bringing retro back ( take it to the bridge:) ) with soft yellow, copper/russet, olive and cream scheme.I'm including some product photos for some additional shades of colours that would look well.
1 Like   July 29, 2014 at 4:21PM
rpizzuti2401
Those shades and patterns are very cool.
1 Like   July 29, 2014 at 6:39PM
RE3Designs
Looks like I'm not going to be with majority on this one.

I really think that if you keep this kitchen you are probably not going to like for very long after moving in. I know everyone loves the look of the vintage look, but how useful is going to be in the long run?
Yes they are made well, but they where made for a different time and a different way of living. There are so many new convenes that are available now that you would miss out on. I know there will be some out there that will say it has worked for them for many years, but only because they do not know any different or had any better. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Some things to consider are not only the colors or the look of the cabinets, but the function of the kitchen in general. Looks there is a lot of space between the sink, fridge, and stove. Maybe you might be better off with a better lay out and working triangle. You will be able to upgrade the appliances to a bigger fridge, more efficient stove and adding a dishwasher.
Also the lighting could use some upgrading too, one overhead light in a ceiling fan does not light where you need it on the counter. The little lamp attached to the wall cabinet above the sink does not look too safe either.

You have a great space to work with and taking all the suggestions into consideration you can have an even more amazing kitchen that you will enjoy for many years.
Now is the time to upgrade before you move in. Once you are in you will not have the time or will not want to live throughout a renovation.
Just my two cents
BTW the outside is really great looking.
1 Like   July 29, 2014 at 7:17PM
studio10001
.Welcome to HOUZZ, RE3.
The points about reviewing aspects of the kitchen's function are practical enough without making assumptions about homeowners' intelligence and lifestyles; I'm sure you didn't mean that homeowners like their kitchens because they don't know any better?? I also contest the notion that the time to get rid of a kitchen is before our OP has had a chance to see how and what works for her. Ripouts don't automatically solve issues, as any Houzzer well knows, and scaring homeowners is unnecessary. You get a pass for being new.
3 Likes   July 29, 2014 at 8:25PM
Cast Glass Images Inc.
I also think just updating the cabinets with a little TLC but maintaining the color as is and trying to brighten up the rest of the room with paint and maybe looking at the overall layout. Could use a bit more light and you have that great window area - maybe just looking at how to change the layout a bit. (my two cents) Great space though! Would love to see some after pictures!
1 Like   July 29, 2014 at 9:10PM
rpizzuti2401
Re3 - I appreciate your feedback. I probably should of added this earlier but the budget for the upgrades is very "budget", lol. The kitchen is not going to stay the way it is. That's why we are looking into flooring, countertops, backsplash, and even a new stove. I personally believe it can all be done for a reasonable price. In other words, WELL below 10 grand.

We looked at homes that had totally remodeled kitchens but they were all 50,000$ more than this house without half the charm and not in a comparable area. We look at this house as a blank canvas for our touches and id like to maintain some of it's qualities how it is now.

I totally see where you are coming from though. By the time we get to that point it'll probably be time to move on anyways.
4 Likes   July 30, 2014 at 3:17AM
housegal200
I'm glad to hear that keeping an eye on a reasonable budget will allow you to both update and enhance the charm of your kitchen. Sounds like you paid $50,000 less for this gem of a house in a good area--such a smart move. This kitchen has great bones as is without a lot of bells and whistles. Space permitting, I can certainly see adding a small beadboard clad island, perhaps in the color of your walls to the space, which would add functionality for "today's lifestyle." Good luck with your fantastic new house.
1 Like   July 30, 2014 at 3:53AM
rpizzuti2401
Appreciate all the feedback housegal
0 Likes   July 30, 2014 at 4:34AM
VT Industries
We agree on the laminate countertop option. Take a look at our new VT Dimensions. You can get the look of real stone and granite at a fraction of the cost; perfect for your situation. www.vtdimensions.com We'd be happy to answer any questions!
0 Likes   July 30, 2014 at 10:35AM
rpizzuti2401
I will take a look VT. Thank you.
0 Likes   July 30, 2014 at 10:48AM
rpizzuti2401
I must say I cannot for the life of me find other kitchens that have been updated with natural wood cabinets lol. Everything is white!
0 Likes   July 31, 2014 at 6:31AM
apple_pie_order
There are 10,694 "maple cabinet" photos on houzz. Try http://www.houzz.com/"maple-cabinets"
2 Likes   July 31, 2014 at 7:15AM
rpizzuti2401
That definitely gave me more woody stuff, but it's still tough looking at kitchens that are very high end. Regardless, we have a lot of ideas brewing that I think will look nice.

Firstly, I think starting with some color on the walls along with nice lighting will be huge. Track lighting where the fan is and maybe another small hanging one near the sink would look nice. After that I think we should pick out a floor and countertop that would work whether we leave the cabinets brown or paint them white. Either way, we both agree that getting lots of color and light into the kitchen is the winner.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to the thread.
1 Like   July 31, 2014 at 8:33AM
studio10001
Hope you will share the results of your project when done; good luck, and congrats on your new home!
1 Like   July 31, 2014 at 9:34AM
Cabinets To Go
Beautiful home and great layout for a kitchen! If you're not sure where to go with painting and staining the cabinets, it might not be a bad idea to get a whole new set. Especially if the cabinets are over 60 years old. You might like our Montauk Cherry Shaker style cabinets. They're contemporary yet timeless and were just featured in DIY Network's Blog Cabin! Check them out: http://bit.ly/18cxX4V
0 Likes   July 31, 2014 at 10:50AM
larhesa_tompkins
I love the style of the cabinets. They would look beautiful white or just cleaned up with a fresh coat of poly. I am attaching some photos of a tin back splash, this might be something you want to consider. With the style of your home I think it would look beautiful. It comes in a variety of colors and is fairly inexpensive.
1 Like   July 31, 2014 at 11:12AM
Tracys Kitchens NJ
A new backsplash and counter tops will definitely go a long way in sprucing up your old kitchen. At Tracy's Kitchens we provide customers with affordable kitchen renovations tailored to your personal preferences. Take a look at some of our kitchen services at http://tracyskitchensnj.com/.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 11:49AM
allgranite
I also love the kitchens in these two videos.

0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 12:05PM
nramsey1
Great ideas for your kitchen. Sorry, unable to read through all comments so mine may be a duplicate. Just a thought to keep in mind regarding the floor. If you decide to go with vinyl you would be able to put it over your existing floor. If there is possibility of asbestos this might be a good option to having hazmat come out to do your floor. There are also great vinyl products that look like wood planks if you decide not to go with the checkerboard look. I like both.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 12:26PM
Distinctive Design LLC
I would sand the cabinets and get rid of the shinny varnish...a bit darker on the stain would be great. Have you considered cup type hardware...hardware that was used during that time period. A new counter top and back splash is a good idea.Consider subway tile for the back splash. Also see if you have hardwood under the current flooring...even if it's not perfect a good sanding and lots of poly would save a great deal of money!
1 Like   August 7, 2014 at 12:29PM
lucindalane
Wow, it's so refreshing to find someone who wants to preserve the integrity and charm of the home they purchased. Somebody pinch me, because I think I'm dreaming. ")
I love old houses-live in one myself, and like most houses-yours included. it has a lot of eclectic features-but that is part of what makes it unique and gives it that special charm.
So, your kitchen cabinets, I believe, are probably basically hybrids in terms of style, too. The reason I say that is because-up until the late forties/fifties,a ladies' well equipped kitchen had painted cabinets. It was "modern" style that brought in the wood surfaces-which, of course, were first highlighted in those more high end, MCM homes with all the geometric lines. So, your cabinets are probably the first ones that were designed to showcase the latest "style" in terms of the wood surface, but still had some of the old "tried and true" style, with the slots cut into the sink cabinet so it could "breathe" and let out moisture, etc. In essence, the more traditional style, just with the "hot" new surface. Another possibility is that-because the wood was good quality(and the cabinets used to be made for each house by the builder, sometimes on site, but sometimes in a shop and then moved to the new house, and not built on an assembly line, where, sadly, we get the term "builder grade" )that they may be originally have been painted, but were refinished and returned to the natural patina of the wood.
Also, a dark counter would also fit the period in terms of style. Depending on your budget, you can get black or charcoal laminate-or, if possible, invest in a synthetic solid surface of some kind.
I think Mannington makes a black and white checked sheet vinyl floor.
1 Like   August 7, 2014 at 3:07PM
risris
So! I'm chiming in not to help you with your kitchen (though I vote checkerboard too!) but just to say how much I love your house. Cottagy, with no pretensions but tons of character, great windows, etc. I know this isn't the point of your post, but could you sketch a basic floorplan or at least tell me the square footage and #s of beds and baths? Your home looks very similar to the one I'd like to build for my own family!
1 Like   August 9, 2014 at 4:45PM
rpizzuti2401
Sure. It's a little different then the traditional cape but I'll explain. The total sq feet is 1130. Downstairs is around 720 and upstairs 410. When you walk into the front door you are in the living room. Straight ahead is the kitchen, which as you can see is eat in. The wall next to the living room is the third bedroom, but we haven't decided if it's going to be a small dining room or not.

Off the kitchen to the left is a small hall to the bathroom which is pretty small as well. There is also a closet in that little hall. The hall you see at the back of the kitchen is going to be a little mud room we think. It also has the stairs to the basement, and the stairs to upstairs.

This is where the house differs from traditional capes. The stairs are in the back corner of the house. You take a few steps up, then left and a few more stairs up. This takes you to a small landing area that we have plans for. Straight ahead from there is a master bedroom that is good size with a large closet and built in "eves" where the slant of the front of the house is.

The second room upstairs is a pretty small bedroom that is to the left at the top of the landing. All that's left is a breezeway in between the kit and the garage which has a vaulted ceiling. It'll be a cool space once we get the washer and dryer out of there (converting from septic to sewer, had to move up for plumbing) and paint the wood paneling.

As far as the size of the rooms downstairs, the kitchen is 15 x 10, the living room is 16 x 12, the bedroom is 12 x 12, bathroom is 6 x 6 (I think) and the breezeway is 10 x 10.

It's a small house but just right for us currently.
0 Likes   August 10, 2014 at 7:53AM
risris
Thanks for the detailed response! I love how economical older houses were with their space... imagine a 3/2 being built today with only 1130 sq feet! How big is the shed dormer in the back? Does it stretch the length of the house, or is it just there at the landing?
0 Likes   August 10, 2014 at 10:58AM
rpizzuti2401
It stretches the length of the house in the back. All the house would need is one more half bath. Funny you mention the space because it has a surprising amount of storage space for a small home. I can't wait to start working on it (well I guess we have to close first LOL).
0 Likes   August 10, 2014 at 11:44AM
lucindalane
Well, I ran into a very interesting article, and picture. It's an article about the man who started the Merrillat cabinet company-which is still a very well known company today.
The reason I am posting this is because of the picture of the cabinet. The man, whose name was Orville Merillat, and his wife, Ruth, started building cabinets, and kitchens for them to go in, after he returned from duty in WWII. The picture is of a perfect reproduction of the first kitchen that the couple built, which the company sets up for promotions and other special occasions.
So, here's the link-hope it works. https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/mint-condition-1940s-kitchen-a-true-labor-of-love-004639985.html
It was an amazing coincidence that I was talking about my idea of "hybrid" cabinets, and then the same day I find this article. If you can see the link, you will see that the doors on the cabinets he built are the natural wood-I think the article said birch-but the rest of the cabinet is painted. This does seem to show, though, that the natural wood idea was starting to catch on-and your cabinets must be the further evolution into the natural wood for the surface, but the same style when it came to the shape of the doors, those aforementioned slots, the little scalloped wood piece over the window, etc.
Yellow, I believe, was a very popular color for kitchens in the forties-especially butter yellow, which I would say is the color shown here. Also, that yellow and white checkerboard floor stands out, as well. I guess that would have been marmoleum, as it came in all sorts of colors and patterns.
So, this is a perfect little "time capsule" showing what kind of kitchen was considered "hot" at the time. I know it's absolutely "dinky" by our standards-and I remember that my mom's kitchen in the house I grew up in, I think, was "dinky" even by the standards back then. Somehow, though, my mom still cooked up a storm in it-though I think it probably helped when my folks did remodel the house in the early sixties, and this little half wall was turned into an eat-in "bar," which gave her an extra surface on which to set and mix things. I guess what we called the "bar" was the forerunner of the islands that people want in the kitchen today.
1 Like   August 10, 2014 at 6:45PM
rpizzuti2401
I guess I am due for an update on here three months later. Things are going well in the house. We decided to take it one room at a time so the bathroom is now completed. As far as the kitchen, we have decided to leave the cabinets as is. The hardware will be either nickle or roth. The floor did contain asbestos but luckily one of my dads friends does that for a living. Under that floor was fir hardwoods that were in terrible condition along with being covered in black mastic.

After some quotes and discussions we decided on white oak hardwoods for the kitchen and two small hallways. Thats what is in the rest of the house so we figured it would flow very nicely. Neither of us could picture a tile that would look any good. The wood is lighter then the cabinets so there should be good contrast. The other floors should match after they are refinished as well. This project should be completed next week.

Countertops will be some form of laminate, probably in a darker color with some fleck/texture. The real only dilemma is wall color and backsplash. The trim and baseboards will be white, floor lighter, cabinets medium, and counters dark. Everywhere I read recommends colors in the pale blue/green/gray area. I just cant picture it.

Thanks for reading.
0 Likes   November 17, 2014 at 5:03PM
halfpint2
Please post photos as work progresses!
0 Likes   November 17, 2014 at 5:15PM
Awkward kitchen space in 1916 Cape Cod house. Please help me with ideas!
Hello! Ok, I love our house, and our kitchen...however,...
kah416
Looking for ideas fir back splash for reno in our Cape Cod kitchen
Reno includes white cabinetry with some water glass...
jenjohnst
Breathing new life into an old Cape Cod style farmhouse
My husband and I just bought this house and couldn't...
Ashley Antkowiak
Need renovation ideas for a 1950's Cape Cod house?
I have twin 3 1/2 year old boys that will need their...
Lauren Corsaro
Need help with Deck ideas on addition
Just finished an addition, couldnt afford a deck until...
brickman12
Front Door Color
Just moved in to this New England Colonial a few months...
lukislt
Leave stained trim/moldings or paint white?
Our new home has high quality dark, stained crown molding,trim,...
Lauren Leak
Decorating around our bold new bamboo floors
Two weeks ago we got new tiger stripe bamboo floors...
ellamilk
Where does your kitty cozy up on cold winter days?
We are Floridians. When we are in our mountain home...
Maraly