Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karissaleeann

Design my small living room

Karr
9 years ago
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room. I've spent countless hours brainstorming and many sleepless nights! Help! Walls are so bare! I need a coffee table and thinking an accent chair but cannot seem to figure out what would look good! I'm thinking I need a different tv stand as well! Thank you in advance for any advice!!

Comments (186)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    WAIT............. you can also maybe leave the chair where it is.... just bring the basket forward to meet the front edge of chair seat cushion.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    End tables are always more functional when you meet the front edges of the table with the chair or sofa front seat edges.
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Like so?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Whoooo Hoooooo. that's it! Do you like it and how does it feel? Cozy and functional feeling for the chair.
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Love the idea but Something looks off to me. Maybe the off centering of the coffee table and the tv stand?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    How about one other rather incidental you may want to try? Re: your white vase, in the bottom, place some crumpled-up plastic bags, or newspaper, or container. Then put in the leaves and flare them slightly so as not to be too vertical. This will soften the hard lines in the room.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    You are right Karissa, but the line-up was originally a bit off in your photo. I think, but not sure, (I think I mentioned this way back...)

I would switch out the sofa and the love seat. I think the sofa might be nicer at the window. This will allow the coffee table to be closer to the sofa and and line-up more centered to the TV. I think? If not, I think it would not be such a visible off-alignment. Guessing a bit here.

You could also move the TV farther left on that wall to line up with the coffee table. Place coffee table first. I think mentioned this before too ?

>>>>> SECOND THOUGHT .... TV might be able to stay where it is ????
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Coffee table to be about 18-20" from the sofa seat cushion.
    Table centered to the center of the sofa.
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is a photo with the flare of the leaves
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    August 16, 20, I mentioned some of these options :))
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Yes, I like it, do you?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Your coffee table is too far away from both sofas to be useful and functional.
    The table is not required to be in the center of the space but rather to be functional for the seating group.
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I do like the flare of the leaves! Good touch thank you! Ok so coffee table 18-20" away from edge of couch correct?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Thank you! Yes, but I really think if the sofas were switched out, the TV moved to the left to be centered to the love seat.... and centered to the larger sofa... you will get a better line-up of 'All' the furniture & TV.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I'll come back and check periodically today for your progress. I need to paint a canvas for the next few days. Thanks for trying the suggestions. And for posting those results.
  • Jenna Neubauer
    9 years ago
    Wow, this is looking like its going to turn out really nice! Good job! :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    >>>>> SECOND THOUGHT .... TV might be able to stay where it is for better line-up ??
  • PRO
    VAC Group Inc.
    9 years ago
    Hi) do you have nice living room!!!
    You have too do the fireplace with two open shelfs sides cabinets with TV on center !!!!!
  • PRO
    VAC Group Inc.
    9 years ago
    Like this
  • PRO
    VAC Group Inc.
    9 years ago
    Or like this but all the one with hardwood floor)!!!
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We just got our big clock hung! :) the lighting is kind of off maybe I can take a better pic tomorrow! LB has been doing a wonderful job helping but I still want to hear everyone else's take on the wood on the tv stand!? Love it or leave it(go without it)? Also LB I believe I have tried switching the couch and love seat but I will try again and post pics :) thank you!!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I think the wood under the tv is absolutely GENIUS! I love it and all that it adds to this space!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    The wood is a cool touch and I love that clock! :)
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am trying incorporate more grey tones into my house! I thought about changing the curtains to grey. What is everyone's opinion on this? Original taupe curtain or grey!? The lighting makes it a little challenging. I will try to upload more when sun goes down. For most of you that have been working on the living room with me I had to do a little bit of rearranging for Christmas to incorporate the tree but it will be right back to the way it was before after Christmas.
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Plz see comment above regarding curtains. I also want to add this rug in the living room. My only concern is how it will look-a rug on carpet. And doing all wood at this point isn't in the budget. Need advice! Thanks in advance!
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    karissaleeann
    Plz see comment above regarding curtains. I also want to add this rug in the living room. My only concern is how it will look-a rug on carpet?? And doing all wood at this point isn't in the budget. Need advice! Thanks in advance!
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Need advice on what color rug to get get for my space? I like the trellis rugs
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Hi, I like the beige, brown or grey. I love the earthy, comfortable, textural vibe you have to your room. I would keep that in mind when choosing your rug. :) Love your room. ;)
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Do you like the white with grey accent or grey with white accent rugs? Also same with brown one you mentioned.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I like the lighter rug with the darker accent, just because I think it will give contrast to your rug and sofa/couch. :) Which way were you leaning?
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Same! Thanks you!!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    You're welcome. You know, you have made great choices and I think again..... whichever rug you pick, it will be good.
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    9 years ago
    Great advice posted in the past 5 months.
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will def be ordering the rug! Thanks for the advice and I will post a pic when it comes in! Any advice on the curtains? Maybe I should do blinds in the living room and do away with curtain? Or maybe both?
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I was so focused on your rug, I missed about the curtains. Lol :) I kind of like the lighter curtains better. ??? Hmmm? I need a closer look.... be back. :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Okay, I've been going through trying to get a really good idea of your colors in the room. Its amazing how colors vary from day to night, and picture to picture. Also different in the store picture. I think the darker curtains would be nice too, but possibly a bit lighter than what you show. :) The room is so great. The pillows you have now are nice. Love the patterns and textures/colors. :)
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I agree, it is amazing how diff colors can be portrayed from pic to pic! But on second thought, maybe I will wait to do the curtains until I get the rug to see what ties in better with that! In the kitchen however I did go with the dark grey curtain because I felt it was a good contrast with against the white cabinets. I do have to ask what your thoughts are on blinds?
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Yes, that is a great idea, waiting to see how it ties in with the rest. :) Do you have a picture of the kitchen with the curtains? Or do you mean by your dining table? What type blinds? :)
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Another
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    One more :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    That definitely adds drama. :) I actually like when rooms have a combo of curtains and roman shades on the windows, but that's just me, I'm a texture lover. Lol :) So, what blinds?
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    BTW, I like your kitchen too. :)
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    White Wooden or bamboo? I am open to any advice!
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Think you could use some curtains with a pattern or texture in the dining area.
    Looking at you wall with the window in the living room ... would suggest swapping the 3 small mirrors & the larger piece of art on the opposite side of the window. The side where the lamp is has a smaller wall space & the mirrors might be a better fit there ... just a suggestion.
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also I am REALLY into grey right now so wanted to add more accents
  • PRO
    Karr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Lainie, In the pictures esp I do agree the three mirrors look kind of out of place! I will try that! Do you recommend replacing them with something else? Also do you have a pic of a curtain you recommend? Remember I will be getting a rug that will be in the living room that has a pattern. See above comment to see rug.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I have to say I do like the softness that the curtains bring to the living room. I think its a nice contrast to the hard edges of the table and TV unit. I like the mix. But it is your room, not mine. :) I think you could go with any of those choices. I really like bamboo because of the colors, but you would have to check that out in your room. :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I actually like it how it is because of the difference in color of the mirrors and your vase with branches that are normally there next to the TV unit. But that's just me. :)
Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!