Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoe74

Mother in law is now coming soon, just want to get it right!!!

zoe74
9 years ago
Hi. I am thinking about B.M. Copley gray for siding and was recommended B.M. Iron mountain for trim. But I was thinking mid-summer night or night horizon would be better. As for front door I am looking at various blues, do not know.

This could be a color palette,please see below, but with no white trim. My roof is also brown. Thought I would stay with a dark trim. Thank you.

Salem Avenue Renovation · More Info

Comments (16)

• libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    With the pretty purple foliage from the japanese maple and the contemporary nature of your home, what if you try a lovely deep purple on the front door - like bm caponata - should work great with your body shade . . . the tone for trim is still too black compared to your body color and roof - it will make the body look green which is not what you want . . a complimentary tone is bm dash of pepper - the deepest tone of equestrian . . a bit browner tone of green gray. .
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/dashofpepper
    tonal with copley great with caponata

Time to start testing . . .put sample sizes on boards that you can carry around to the different exposures .. copley is a good start. . look in full sun, am and pm light. .. here's the door suggestion
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/caponata
    zoe74 thanked libradesigneye
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    Looked back through your posts and found the brown black combo house that is your inspiration - it wasn't really black black . . that would be a warm black .. .if you want that kind of contrast try bm night horizon but pair it with equestrian gray . . shift over closer to the neutral away from the green a tad ... try them all .. get sample pots (behr will try to color match and it should be close enough to test - buy the real stuff at bm or sherwin (will match bm) when you do paint ..
  • zoe74
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you. I will look at colors. When I have been into the paint shops, all of the B.M. ones have recommended Iron mountain as a trim. My house is very shady, north facing, lots of trees in the back. I was looking towards copley gray, because it seemed warmer than Rockport gray and sandy hook which were my favorites. Maybe rethink green tone.
  • zoe74
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    If I went with equestrian gray, do you have a door color? Love copley gray, dash of pepper, caponata. House is surrounded by green though, i will buy samples.
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    caponata ought to work with equestrian gray well too .. any of the options you are looking at
    if you love it . .you could try a chartreuse if you want brighter / lighter
  • zoe74
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi. A friend gave me the idea of painting chimney on both sides, the same as trim. And although it goes against everything I have read the garage door too. Then front door would be light. And that i should go with Rockport Gray and night horizon trim. But in lesser light garage will look dark. And weather is generally cloudy. Just a thought!
  • PRO
    DH Design
    9 years ago
    I would opt for black around the window frames, window boxes, trim and chimney. Keep the siding cream and roof brown. This would complement the contemporary styling you already have going and really bring it up to date and sophisticated. Then go for any color you like on the front door i.e a rich burgundy, teal, or a lovely golden or orange shade to enhance your landscaping throughout the seasons. Close up that umbrella peeking out of the roof, add some larger and more contemporary garage lights and you have beautiful curb appeal. Good luck.
    zoe74 thanked DH Design
  • kemah215
    9 years ago
    Whatever you decide, go 2 shades lighter, at least.
    zoe74 thanked kemah215
  • Ruth Felice
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would stay light and keep the garage light as well and paint the window frames darker and the door a complimentary door color that pops,also finish the chiminey the same all the way up.over the front roof I would paint a darker shade so the windows dont look like black holes and paint the soffits the same colorTo open the front up I would pull the flowers forward and turn the area into a front patio
    zoe74 thanked Ruth Felice
  • karenruthsutherland
    9 years ago
    Much nicer. Now tell the mother n law you moved.
    zoe74 thanked karenruthsutherland
  • Alison Hunt-Thompson
    9 years ago
    I see window boxes....whatever color you go with, fill those with something seasonal, either a flower or something ornamental. Don't know what area you are in but in Pa. a popular box item are trailing sweet potato vine. They come in bright green to darker purples and grow very fast. And how about some begonias or mums in between the bushes along the walkway.....
    zoe74 thanked Alison Hunt-Thompson
  • Bj Taylor
    9 years ago
    just a brief comment. your home is beautiful. I didn't look up the colors you mentioned. the only advice I would give, based on the pic, is to be careful the whole effect isn't too dark and brooding. with the tall conifers, and the rain that comes with such trees, perhaps look for means to interject light into the effect without compromising the classiness of your home.
    zoe74 thanked Bj Taylor
  • Patricia Laursen
    9 years ago
    This I like.
    zoe74 thanked Patricia Laursen
  • Shirley Plastow
    9 years ago
    I would lighten the garage door so it blends more with the house. I would also widen your beds and pull the planting away from the edge and the house. I would widen the area going into the house. From the pic it looks a little cramped and will only become more so as the landscaping grows. A more generous entry would be great and maybe bring more light and openness to it.
    zoe74 thanked Shirley Plastow
  • riiff
    9 years ago
    I would paint the garage door a beige/gray/slight brown color and same for the front door. I would keep window and trim dark.
    zoe74 thanked riiff