Need help with a Front Door Dilemma.....!
idontremember1
I'm planning to turn an original 1973 Colorado mountain home into "Mountain Modern" style -- the clean boxy lines of the 70's seem to translate well to modern day open living concept once some new (or reclaimed) siding, and or rainscreen and steel cable deck railings are in place. Sliding doors currently function as the front door but shouldnt I make a more 'defined' entrance? Its a bit unconventional to enter the house like this. But, since you enter the property via a courtyard garden first (Im planning 'zen', fire pit, bbq and seating), maybe the REAL front door is the one from the street, and can focus on finding a great one for that.

Point is, i want to be able to have 'open' access to the courtyard in warmer weather from the living, dining and kitchen from the front door area, and not have a door that opens inwards or awkwardly pivots as it will need to remain open. I attached a photo also of what you see as you currently enter at the open Sliding door -- its a direct and spectacular view through the dining area to the forest. So this is the 'correct' front door location visually (I think!!)

The door needs to be easy to get in and out quickly in inclement weather -- this is Colorado mountains not California beach after all -- we get SNOW! The coat closet next to the sliding door will be only half as deep as it is shown now, so it doesnt impose as much into the room, and want to avoid conflict with this feature, though maybe a modern sliding door could slide open and that side of the slider could disappear behind the coat closet? There is a large picture window offset left of current sliding door which could be reconfigured to accomodate a new door plan in this area.

There are other sliding doors throughout the home to the decks which will be replaced but they work well in their locations. Help! Im feeling confident on all other areas of the house remodel plans except this! Its keeping me up at night! Thank you thank you.
HOBNOB design
One option would be to combine the sliding glass doors and window to the left into a bank of windows (floor to ceiling) with centered french doors. Metal/steel casement windows and doors would be ideal. This expanded, full view of the courtyard would be impressive in any season.
April 7, 2012 at 7:22AM   
idontremember1
I see, but if you 'center' the French doors you enter the home in the narrow hallway with the stairwell directly in front of you and not the open living area....and theres no room to open doors inward there....
April 7, 2012 at 7:28AM   
Hi idontremember1, sliding doors don't work too well as a regular entrance to your house. A set of french style doors can have one door that is stationary and used occcasionally, while another door can swing inward towards the closet door would be more ideal. Outward swinging doors are more tricky with the hinges and weather proofing them.
April 7, 2012 at 8:33AM   
idontremember1
These are neat looking. Which manufacturer do you think they are?
Thanks for commenting -- and also to Hobnob design for comment.
April 7, 2012 at 9:08AM   
Backsplash
What was used for the backsplash? were they tiles or...
Kitchen: Project 1: open cabinet over sink
I have a small square kitchen with no windows. This...
Too much wall space and no inspiration. I need help!!
My husband and I moved into our home over a year ago...
What do you guys think about this furniture arrangement?
I always wanted to add two spaces one for us to watch...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...