I need help with an original design for this Foyer
reginafrisaura
Because the client doesn't want a center table and only wants the side of foyer done, I would like some help please coming up with something unusual. She does love plants. Although the house is Mediterranean style she is using more modern furniture.
apple_pie_order
Measurements, budget, photos?
    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 5:56AM
reginafrisaura
Budget around $7,000.00. Measurements from left to right are: double window side 2940mm, single window side 2670mm corner , and wall before entrance to Living Rm. 1780 mm. Client doesn't want a table in the middle so the images show the only space available.
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 6:28AM
Cabinet Connection of NC
Since your client likes plants, and you have a large enough wall space, I suggest mounting a pot on the wall and then putting plants there. As for modern items, I would try ornamenting the room with a table and a mirror or even photo frames. Here are a few ideas to hopefully get you thinking. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 6:40AM
apple_pie_order
If the plants are staying, then your options are limited. Curtains that pull completely off the windows, upgraded pots for each plant in the same style, a fabulous rug. Use plant coasters under every single pot so they can be moved around. Some contemporary ceramic pots are almost art pieces. Add uplighting cans here and there, perhaps recessed lighting or spotlighting in the ceiling, too, to highlight the plants.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 6:44AM
whynottryit
Water feature surrounded by the plants? Seems to me, client needs to build a greenhouse.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 6:59AM
reginafrisaura
lol, I'm sorry my fault, not all the plants are staying there! I should have explained.
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:09AM
patriciarhall
If the plants are the feature, they need to be showcased:
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:18AM
debsio
I adore your foyer. I have always like foyers with circular tables!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:24AM
debsio
I like these shelves in this picture for your foyer

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:29AM
debsio
Window seat?

3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 7:36AM
    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 7:38AM
debsio
Like the window treatments in this pic for room and wingback chairs for your foyer in this picture

4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 7:43AM
debsio
Consider office foyer. Not exactly like this but something

Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 7:56AM
debsio
I apologize for not reading your details. Your client does not want center table. How would client feel about corner circular table nestled on wall by window with stools. I think that could be really functional and beautiful. It could hold a plant, a place to drop off keys and purse as well as a quick place to answer mail

Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 8:33AM
2leftsocks
Lovely space. Keep most of the plants but group them together in eg. all white planters of various sizes, of simple design. (Cohesiveness.) The great light makes for a good reading area. I agree with other's postings - a modern set of wing or butterfly chairs would look wonderful. A flat woven dhurrie area rug with some red in it would add warmth & punch without being overwhelming. Add one, maybe two, simple paintings on the right wall & an ottoman/table & you're all set. Don't overdo it. Let the windows & natural light be much of the statement.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:11AM
I'd keep it really simple. Matching pots and no plants in front of the windows. Here's a colorful Mexican version, and a modern version:
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 9:33AM
collettec
If this is your client and you are getting paid to do the job, why are you asking for outside help since that's what you're getting paid for as your job? They asked you to do it and are paying you - not others.
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:44AM
nramsey1
Collettec...that is harsh. I don't see anything constructive in your post. Whatever the reason for the request for help, we don't judge. This is an open forum and people should not be hesitant to post because of possible negative comments.
11 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 10:08AM
debsio
Oh my talk about an inspiration for a round table for this client see this pic http://officeplantslondon.co.uk/OfficePlants.html
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 10:15AM
collettec
I disagree with you nramsey1. The client, in good faith, entered into a contractual agreement with this decorator, based on their work, to have them do the work. In that case to have it be done by others is a type of fraud. As well, I think that the decorator is being paid to do the work and I don't think Houzz is an unpaid subcontracting business for interior design. It could lead to all sorts of problems and might be destructive to the profession overall. As you said, this forum is open to opinions and that's mine.
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 10:27AM
nramsey1
Gloveraxle- love your renderings. My fav is the Mexican style. Don't know if it will go with the rest of the house but could be adapted to any style.
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:21AM
reginafrisaura
I would like to thank all those with wonderful creative ideas you have posted. Such wonderful talent. I believe with all the information I received I will put together something very nice for my client and when its done I will post it for all of you to see. Thanks again!
6 Likes    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:57AM
reginafrisaura
As always, I am here to help anyone that may get stuck as I did or simply want a different perspective!
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:59AM
reginafrisaura
debsio, indeed the pots are amazing!
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:01PM
@collettec, I see nothing wrong with a designer asking for ideas. How would you feel if your surgeon felt that way about asking his colleagues for help? Would you call him a fraud because he used someone else's technique? Writers, painters, and even interior designers sometimes run dry and need a nudge or a jump start.

Good luck with your client, regina. I hope one of the ideas here floats her boat.
14 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 29, 2014 at 1:00PM
tiffany66
Regina,

I doubt you are asking any of us to design it for you, but just for us to get your creative juices flowing in a different direction. Here are my crazy wild thoughts and ramblings. Feel free to use them as you will. I will just ramble and you can see what triggers your creative thoughts.

For me I would embrace their love of plants as an accessory to other things or combine them with unusual items--I would also go more vertical rather than horizontal with the display. Think garden center displays -- think conservatory.

I think you will see where I am going here.

I cannot wait to see what you create.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the corner you could use a huge multi-tier fountain with large bottom ring and fill it with potted plants, using the larger ones as a backdrop.

An old flower cart theme -- plant in urns, printed rain boots, colorful pails, umbrellas, garden bench

Build a stair stepped riser-like grandstand to group the plants on and use pots that are either one color or compatable colors. Or vary their height with pedistals.

Introduce a wall planter using succulents that could double as art

a stone water wall or Bubbling large ceramic water feature

Mix some colorful flowers in the group.

Artifical grass for a rug.

Lattice shutters, reeded blinds, or woven woods on the windows. Wooden Folding Screens

Put some of the plants in other items--suitcases, wood boxes, clamshells, hanging pots, and anything unusual.

Intersperse a person's hobbies or collections, statues with the plants or any other passion the homeowner might have.

Uplighting and focus lighting for nighttime. All white flowers are a great nighttime look when lit.

============================================
http://www.pallensmith.com/blog/category/giveaways

Ideabook: Go for a Greenhouse Effect With an Exotic Conservatory
http://alittlesomethinginthemeantime.blogspot.com/2012_07_01_archive.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

gardencrest

Coral Gables Green Wall

Outdoor Living Wall

Memorial - Spring Valley

Traditional Landscape

2009 Southern Accents Showhome

Natural World Dessert Plates
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    July 31, 2014 at 1:18PM
reginafrisaura
Wow! You certainly are creative and I thank you soooo much for your suggestions. I love everyone who posted. Most definitely there is something that I can integrate from every post that will make this space amazing. I am putting it all together and will post immediately when its done. Btw, this project is in Dubai!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 10:39PM
reginafrisaura
Hi Andraena, I was just asking for suggestions, and steering up creative juices from my colleagues. Fortunately I have received many ideas. I'm good now! Thanks
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 12:17AM
patriciarhall
reginafrisaura, thanks for letting Houzzers share ideas with you! we all love our ideabooks that we can get inspiration from and having a back and forth discussion with others really stirs the creative juices!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    August 2, 2014 at 9:46AM
reginafrisaura
andraena. collettec's did write to me and I read what she wrote and understood her point of view, I like to stay positive and speak to the same type of people. Btw I'm not getting paid for this so don't worry so much about money. Also my client saw all the posts. Yes I did use eg tiffany66 comment, I found it brilliant. Beautiful choice of words, I was lucky to have her comment. Thanks again eg tiffany66!
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 11:20AM
reginafrisaura
Glad its all cleared up!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 12:44AM
whynottryit
Always a treat to see someone called to task for something completely ridiculous. Everyone needs inspiration from time to time. That the OP stated what her situation was from the start allowed any who responded to do so willingly and with awareness of how their ideas would be used. Obviously, claims of plagiarism are absurd. There is no difference in my mind from requesting ideas here or flipping through a magazine or design book.

I applaud reginafrisaura's positive responses and wish her all the best in helping her friend, client, acquaintance or whatever.
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    August 3, 2014 at 6:47AM
Brandi Nash Hicks
Wow...just wow...the police are in full force,Are you a policeman ? If you are not I am calling a citizens arrest for impersonating an officer...see how sill this sounds
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:17AM
reginafrisaura
Lol Brandi, love your sense of humor!
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:23AM
reginafrisaura
Tiffany66 your ideas are beautiful! Be assured that I will post it once its finished for all to see! Thank you, thank you, thank you all!
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:25AM
sstarr93
this appears to be someone trying to decorate two houses in Saudi Arabia, and this is not a Pro profile.
As such, she is like many other posters. On many occasions, I have done 3D drawings for free on Houzz discussions, and have been challenged on this by other professionals. I do charge for my work, but sometimes I contribute on Houzz just for fun. I personally would probably not throw a contract problem out onto the discussion board, but that's just me.

It is actually pretty common for professionals to consult with other professionals to solve technical problems, check best practices, etc. What's unusual here is presenting not detailed questions but a "what would you do" query to the broader audience. S*
5 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:35AM
reginafrisaura
All I said was "I need help..." and that's what I got! But nevertheless, all comments are important from the commentator's perspective! That is what mas the world so interesting! I respect everyone's comments and sincerely appreciate them!
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:45AM
reginafrisaura
makes
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:46AM
mcbriec
Good Lord! Never in my life have I seen such ridiculous invective over a simple, polite request for ideas designing a difficult space! As noted by rational people, designers asking each other for help is commonplace, just as all true professionals run ideas or problems by fellow professionals to get their insight on the situation. It's called collegiality. Any professional who believes himself to be above seeking advice from other professionals is an egomaniac and should be avoided like the plague.

I don't think Andraena and Collette are members of a police force. They are members of the SS wearing very large and very unattractive Gestapo boots.

And Andraena, bringing up your legal credentials on a design forum in a pathetic attempt to somehow imbue your bile with credibility is just mind-boggling. Furthermore, as a former prosecutor in the Department of Justice, I can tell you that throwing out terms like plagiarism in this context is beyond absurd and brings to mind another legal term: slander.
10 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:34AM
Mark Bischak, Architect
Is it too late to suggest a mounted polar bear standing on his hind legs?
8 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 3:00PM
chookchook2
Tiffany put up some great ideas. Peace, man!!
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 4:48PM
karemore55
@andraena, Don't you get it? We all think you are on drugs!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 6:21PM
chookchook2
PEACE
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 6:38PM
karemore55
Andraena, Don't YOU get it? My comment IS a joke. My comment was intended to make light of a terrible situation - one in which someone has inexplicably torn a strip off an innocent Poster. I saw your "apology". But, you can't take back what is out there - a bunch of poisonous venom that really ruins it for everyone who happens to read this dilemma.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 7:18PM
mcbriec
andraeana, Since you are throwing your educational credentials around, the correct terminology is "implied," not inferred.

Likewise, the reference to the SS is an "analogy" meant to convey the virulence of your wholly unwarranted attack against reginafrisaura, who has displayed Ghandi-like grace and restraint in the face of extreme provocation. An "analogy" is not reasonably understood, nor meant to imply, that you committed crimes on the level of the SS.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:15PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
I'm thinking Groveraxle's Mexican version is not a bad idea. The walls can be done in adobe with all the mud being flung around here.
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    August 3, 2014 at 8:41PM
2leftsocks
Mark B. Your polar bear would add just the right touch of vertical balance to the space. If he's holding one of the potted plants, even better. Appreciate your humor! ;)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:07AM
Mark Bischak, Architect
Humor?!???
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:13AM
2leftsocks
Uhhh... OK. Psychiatric disorder...? (Is OK - apparently you're not alone here, lol...). But seriously, sticking to the subject, this is a wonderful site for exchanging creative ideas. Don't let one or two upset people get under your skin. Even those who disagree with other's ideas have something to offer, and the right to say so - respectfully, of course.
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 7:54PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
This may require a separate poll discussion to determine if she should go with the Mexican Polar Bear or not.

(are there polar bears in Mexico?)
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:02PM
chookchook2
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by reginafrisaura    August 4, 2014 at 8:18PM
Ali
.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:19PM
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:28PM
2leftsocks
Yes - when they're on vacation.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:33PM
2leftsocks
Chook - awesome picture - can't stop laughing!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:35PM
chookchook2
Ali put up the pic.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:38PM
sstarr93
I actually visited a house in Mexico that had a pair of polar bears flanking the doorway into a very large room. Impressive, but not in a really good way. The local culture was very involved with killing and stuffing exotic animals. My boyfriend's (at the time) father had shot a moose, had it stuffed-mounted-taxidermied, then found it wouldn't fit through any doorway into his house. So they kept it at the office.

So I vote No on the bears.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:44PM
2leftsocks
Sorry, Ali - still laughing!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:47PM
chookchook2
The spoose said "no moose at the hoose, take it to the offoose you doonce."
2leftsocks
sstar, agree. Taxidermy as a decorative accent is weird, creepy & cruel, to me. I'll never understand it. (Not to mention, what must household pets think?)
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:57PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
The pets think they are next, of course. It will help keep them in line and well behaved.

So I vote Yes on the bear(s).
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:10PM
whynottryit
Well, Mark, if you love stuffed polar bears, have I got the place for you! My daughter's FIL is a taxidermist. Their house is filled with stuffed deer heads, pheasants, and even a standing turkey. Eight deer heads in one room. My daughter started putting Santa hats on them at Christmas. I rarely go there because it is soooo very creepy to have all those Bambi eyes looking at you. Each to his own, I guess, but put me down as a "no" on the polar bears. :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 10:39PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
I don't love stuffed polar bears, I just felt that foyer needed something and a polar bear was the first thing that came to mind, and I figured why not try it.

Can I vote again?
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 10:44PM
reginafrisaura
There is something for everyone! Great idea! Why not?
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 10:46PM
Ali
3 to 2 on the bears. Bears take the lead. Tiffany, we need a speadsheet here!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 10:46PM
Ali
3 to 3 now.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 10:47PM
chookchook2
Where do the pot plants come into it?
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:29PM
New house - strange design! :( Need foyer/entryway help, please...
I am so lost with what to do with this entry. There...
amychell
Need help in designing Foyer Area
Hi Request group to suggest some design for the Foyer...
tarunlakhani
Foyer Modern Decor Needs Help!
My entry console with contemporary painting and bowl...
portia9
Paint/design help for 2 Story Foyer!
Hello! I am in the process of finding the right color...
kmurphy116
Need help getting tile design for front foyer; stucco/tudor home.
I have a small entry way with older tiles and would...
suegal920
odd cabin kitchen layout..where do we eat??
Help! There is no room for a kitchen table and chairs....
stumpedinnc
Help redecorate my suite, please
I have a B&B in a seaside town. The building is an...
blueberrycoveinn
Help me decide on curtains?
I'm trying to decide on curtains for my living room....
Jeanine Coffman
New couch and finishing touches
We have lived in our home for more than six years and...
amalids
Corner window treatments
What is the best way to hang curtains in these windows?...
toomanywhitewalls