How to accessorize a white desk...
Danielle Lyn
I finally bought the west elm parsons desk in white. I was so excited to get it and make it look like the pictures I see all over Pinterest....it just didn't turn out like that. Any Advice on where to find affordable accessories? I liked to put prints above it (like in attached photo) but I don't even know where to find prints like that or what to choose? Black and white cities? We have the same chair as in inspiration photo...
The white desk is very effective in the photo largely because it's placed against a black wall, tho actually any bright or dark color would work. I'd love to see it against a turquoise wall with an orange or chrome office lamp. Try Ikea if there's one near you.

I personally think the desk is way over accessorized, so accessories shouldn't overburden your budget. I'd buy a coffee mug in a fun color that works with your wall color and fill it with pens, etc. BTW, what is your wall color?

For artwork, buy a pair of white frames with mats and then either use pictures from magazines or buy a used cocktail table book of paintings. Choose two related pictures to go in the frames. Or go to HomeGoods or World Imports for a large canvas as in photo 3 below. While a bulletin board would also work, they tend to get messy.

Below are other white Parson's desks with different wall colors and different accessories.

orange task lamp
Marina Flat Office
Artist Retreat
Studio City
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 6:43AM
Belle Chaise
Do you live near a Home Goods store? They have cute prints at reasonable prices It is hit and miss though. Have fun!
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 6:55AM
Danielle Lyn
Unfortunately we are renting until our house sells so no painting.... Our apt is turquoise and blue themed though so it was funny you brought that up. Turquoise is my favorite color!
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:26AM
Danielle Lyn
Magazines are a great idea to get photos from! I'll look! Yes we do live near a few homegoods, we live in dc
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:28AM
Danielle Lyn
I love these kate spade lucite accessories...they are kind of expensive....I need a mouse pad worse, mouses don't work on white desks....
http://www.urbangirl.com/Products/Kate-Spade-Acrylic-Pencil-Cup__KSP145330.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjwjN2eBRDbyPWl0JLY5lYSJACPo0Ui_PQi7RCf3UEyZ10teWd1ftDIz_3d0-UfguXONyhB_hoCZRvw_wcB
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:55AM
Danielle Lyn
If I want turquoise accents, what color flower arrangement would you choose? Idk if white is too boring but idk of any other color flowers that go with blues
1 Like    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:57AM
You must not be on a tight budget if you're considering Kate Spade accessories! Lucite will not add color to your desk and that seems to be what you need. Check out HomeGoods, West Elm, and Crate & Barrel. Forget Kate.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 8:01AM
apple_pie_order
Home Goods is full of turquoise accents now. In a couple weeks, it will all be Halloween stuff. Go now!
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 8:19AM
Danielle Lyn
Carolyn, I have champaign taste on a beer budget lol. If i do get them it will be like one a paycheck....
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 8:42AM
Danielle Lyn
I am willing to wait for what I really want. if I know it will look better...but I don't have much a budget for this project...dh says this stuff isn't necessary so if I spend too much he will gripe
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 8:47AM
Is there a HomeGoods near you? Ikea? Even my clients who live in multi-million dollar homes shop at both these places! Ikea has a great looking chrome office lamp for $29.
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:13AM
Danielle Lyn
Oh yeah we have a lot of different homegoods and a few ikeas. I live in dc.
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:17AM
Lucky you. I loved living there, long ago.
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:19AM
Danielle Lyn
Well we have only lived here about 6 months but it's been an adjustment. Smalllllllll small living quarters, our house in michigAn was 3000 sq feet and our apartment....720sq ft. Other than that love it!
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:35AM
Wow! That would indeed be a tough adjustment!
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:28PM
Danielle Lyn
So photos, a new mouse pad, tray, and pencil cup.... Is that going to be enough to fill the desk
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 4:32PM
Danielle Lyn
Ohh and maybe finding a turquoise desk lamp...
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 4:55PM
That should do it. Other items may find there way there inadvertently, but your desk will look great without too many items on it. Of course I suspect that since you plan on a mouse pad living on the desk that you will also have a computer there.
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 5:37PM
Danielle Lyn
yes, unfortunately for now..a pc. iMac are so much more aesthetically pleasing than pcs not to mention better with creative cloud.
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:24PM
Michael Dell is pleased that not everyone can afford an i Mac.
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:27PM
amyfamyf
Here are some ideas; colorful chair, colorful runner, a computer, a lamp, stack of books, or a big great piece of art behind it.
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 7:48PM
Danielle Lyn
amyfamyf, I really like the two large pictures above that desk!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 10:36AM
Danielle Lyn
Most of the desk stuff. I would like a different jar of flowers and I have some gold scissors and gold mouse pad on the way..
    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 5:06PM
You have too much shoved together in the corner. Please spread it out. Look again at the photos we've provided you and try to mimic perhaps the ones labeled Artist Retreat and Studio City. You don't see things all pushed into the corner in those photos.
    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 5:18PM
Danielle Lyn
I had no choice at that moment. I was using my laptop and there is a monitor/desktop computer on that desk too so it had to sit there....I looked at home goods they had very little selection....
    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 5:27PM
Danielle Lyn
Does anyone know if this link (http://m.cb2.com/ada-white-table-lamp/s128778) is a style of lamp? This is affordable but I want a turquoise version...idk if I want more white on this but I have no budget for 100 plus lamp
    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 5:31PM
Pamela Rambo
I like your turquoise accents and the clear lamp but the desk is way to cluttered, the white mug and roses could be replaced with a turquoise mug with ink pens that are made like flowers in either hot pink or bright yellow. Hang headphones lower than desk top so as not to interfere with your accessories. You could buy an inexpensive bulletin board, paint the cork part turquoise and the frame white and post your photo on it and remove the framed picture on the desk. All this would give a cohesive look, less cluttered and not expensive. Good luck.
    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 9:56PM
Pamela Rambo
OOps, I meant to suggest that you hang the bulletin board above the desk.
    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 9:57PM
Danielle Lyn
Thanks. Yes the white roses are being replaced with darker pink peonies as soon as I find a michaels.....The cups staying I just bought it and I really like it. As for the wall I think I found an idea I liked. I bought two nyc city prints and two frames or I will frame quotes as inspiration...
    Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 4:55AM
Belle Chaise
Try Gallery Direct or Art.com. They have prints at very low prices and you can make your own on Gallery Direct. Have fun!
    Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 5:32AM
Danielle Lyn
That's a awesome idea to be able to make you own!
    Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 2:57PM
Danielle Lyn
Anyone have suggestions on where to get a mouse pad? I don't want a "classy" one I don't know how else to say it....there are a lot of tacky ones!
    Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 5:53PM
Danielle Lyn
Lamp too tall? I really loved this lamp in the store but I'm wondering if it's too tall...
1 Like    Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 6:44PM
Too tall and too big. I'm thinking a flex arm lamp with small metal shade. IKEA has a chrome one for $30.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 7:07PM
Danielle Lyn
Yeah that is my trouble. I don't want a metal one or one that looks like a desk lamp. Bc the desk is in our living room I want it to feel more "home" looking.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 4:55AM
Danielle Lyn
Are people going to walk past it and think it looks awful.... I don't want it to be hideous
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 5:52AM
I consider it a "cool" look, not an office look! Here's a slightly different look: http://www.cb2.com/all-lighting/lighting/atomic-yellow-table-lamp/s194614

You could also consider a floor lamp which would not take up any desk space at all. http://www.cb2.com/all-lighting/lighting/luxe-floor-lamp/s125001
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 6:07AM
Danielle Lyn
Yeah I don't really want an office look. The desk is in our living room. I want it to blend as much as I can. Unfortunately no room for a floor lamp.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 7:25AM
greenyogini
Can you take a photo of the desk in the context of the room?
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 10:14AM
Danielle Lyn
Sure this is the rest of the living room
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 2:42PM
Danielle Lyn
The last photo is a panorama. The desk is on the left
greenyogini
Thanks! So it looks like you have some wall space behind the desk - why not mount a smaller lamp to the wall, along with some wall shelves or hanging storage for some or the items on the desk?
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 3:15PM
Danielle Lyn
Behind the desk there are two prints. You can kind of see it in the photo I attached. We are renters so we can't really wall mount things all the pictures that are up are 3m strips lol
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 5:33PM
Danielle Lyn
If we could the first thing that would go is the paint colors....miss my house
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 5:34PM
So embrace your lamp as being one that works well for you, and love it!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 5:51PM
Danielle Lyn
Yea it maybe too big but I do love it...if it drives me nuts I'll swap it out in a couple of months. I have other places that need light. I am worried its hideous but that's ok
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 7:10PM
Danielle Lyn
All done. I'm pretty happy with it.. Going to find a different picture frame for the desk but I like it! Thanks all!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 5:37PM
Accessorizing My Kitchen..Forgive the ugly cabinets!
I would like to give my kitchen a fresh look. Without...
birdkkk
How to accessorize our newly remodeled kitchen???
We just completed a remodel of our kitchen and family...
wendymil
need help with accessorizing bathroom
small bathroom approximately 10ft by 7 ft. need help...
lindacurly
How would all the Houzzers accessorize this wall?
This is our bedroom wall & we would love all Houzzers...
nguyenhuong85
Little bit of accessorizing goes a long way
Client had some nice pieces throughout the house, but...
S Rothrock Designs
Need help with fireplace placement in living room
Hi There, We are building our new home and need...
parul_apan
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
wooden log on fungus/ rotting
hi i'm design up a wooden log wall for my live kitchen...
ashu101
Living room help
Recently moved. I have struggled with furn placement...
chrisdp
Difficult picking out a colour
I am having a hard time trying to pick a colour ! Any...
Rhonda Beckman