Home sick in Louisiana
Jenna Carr
Everywhere I look I see brown / goldish stain. I love hardwood floors, linen, white walls & white cabinets. I love interior brick walls, shutters, distressed decor / furniture. What would you do with my fireplace? Paint it? Gut it? What about all the windows? I was not given many options when we built 9 years ago. I feel that my kitchen cabinets could have gone a lot higher for more storage & that they could have extended past my refrigerator. I never liked the box that the vent hood is attached to. Should I gut the cabinets or paint them? HELP!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. What would you do?
You have a beautiful, well appointed home! I would start by painting all the ceiling crown molding (including the stove vent) a bright white. Then, the kitchen counter a white quartz and I think this alone will transform and update your home.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:19PM
After the new paint and counters, a really cool chandelier above the dining table and I think you're home free. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:21PM
Brandi Nash Hicks
Have your carpenter build you a cabinet on the other side or the refrigerator ,add more cabinets on top of the others,paint them and the trim all out a pretty distressed white,maybe have your carpenter build you something cool that will attach to the box over the range to make it look more substantial and hang pots from it or add baskets up there...I love that kitchen and I would love to cook and drink wine in it,good luck
1 Like    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:29PM
Jenna Carr
Thank you so much for the quick response. I posted my discussion twice somehow. Oops. I would much rather the vent hood connect directly to the ceiling. My husband said the box is for support but, I told him I'm not planning to hang from it. :) I'm attaching a few kitchens that I LOVE. Thank you again. I'll be looking over all the commits.
    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:40PM
rieulightingdesigner
Do not paint this beautiful wood trim. Wood is timeless and the white will be cold and feel dated. Years from now someone will strip the paint and say "Why did they paint this beautiful. Wood. I love the large window that give you an indoor out door "Frank Llyod Wright" esque feeling. I agree about the hood. What about a down draft vent and eliminate
the hood altogether. It would open up the entire kitchen to the rest of the house.

I love the irdea of more color in by adding pillows and or more colorful fabric and a few chairs and perhaps a very colorful area carpet.

You have a lovely home
1 Like    Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 8:10AM
Rachel @ Ethan Allen
Leave the wood!!! That is a really special feature in your home. Many new homes use MDF moldings because they are inexpensive and then they paint white. The wood trim is what makes your home a custom look!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 1:16PM
Rachel @ Ethan Allen
Try adding some lightness or color to your windows with fabric panels
    Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 1:18PM
Jenna Carr
I know.... That's why I haven't painted yet. I know my wood is a good grade so, I'm scared to paint but, I'm tired of all the brown. I would like to add white linen panels in the living room instead of the brown roman shades but I would only want one panel on each end & one in the middle as I don't like a lot of window treatments. they would have to be custom made - I'm scared to spend all that money & it not look good. I like airy & open. I may change the rug to a gray w/ a white or cream design. I think in the kitchen I may take it slow so my hubby doesn't have a heart attack & see about can lights instead of the fluorescent lights that I do not like. Then take down the awful vent hood / box. I will talk to a carpenter about adding to the height & width of my cabinets. I like the white subway tile as a back splash & something like the white marble with a little gray in it - or something that has that look for the counter tops as I'm not crazy about all the granite w/ the browns / golds / blacks. A new sink / fixtures / knobs & stove & possibly paint the island a white color & re-stain the other cabinets if they can add to them so it's not so goldish orange. I could also paint the crown molding white. What's everyone's views on this? I need all the advice / suggestions I can get before I start making final decisions. I would also end up painting the walls... But, not sure about the color at this point. Whites or grays are my favorites - they are neutral & I don't get tired of them as often but, picking the right shade is not easy!
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 11:21AM
Eat Live Sleep
I agree with Darzy, you have a beautiful space! But there is a lot of brown, remember not everything has to be a 'feature'. The wooden windows will stay longer than the kitchen units so update what is replaceable and the images of what you like will look great there. I always advise white counter tops in kitchens, so pick a subtle shade of cream or light gray for base units, also consider reducing the number of wall units, it will instantly modernise your space!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 12:24PM
Everything now is neutral - even the green accents and tone in the rug. . .still a neutral. Pick a color you love - any color will work with this canvas. Pick it by going to a fabric website like calico corners . . look for a print fabric with just a little of your green in it - with a color that you really love - blue green would be amazing with the wood, red or red-orange would be darling and classic. Come back with some fabric links that you think you would love to live with - consider fabrics for drapery, or pillows if you aren't too brave. Then, even though you love the neutrals on the walls, let's consider some color in the place. Perhaps as simple as painting the hood drywall (until it is gone) and the back walls of the kitchen something like tomato red - with some tomato red pillows on your sofas, and a graphic cream and red print at the windows ... . you have done all the basics, and now you are bored and need some color. Think about a color that when you wear it you feel really attractive . . .

Say tomato red doesn't do it for you .. . keep thinking and looking at colors and prints. I think this would be a big shift for you without worrying over permanent elements that are expensive to change. I would add glass front cabinets in the same wood tone over the ones I had if I were changing casework in the kitchen .. maybe a ladder on a rail that got me to them - but long before i spent that time and headache - fabric, color, and new lighting fixtures - darzy's got that one!
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 12:43PM
Jenna Carr
Thank you!!! Everyone has been so helpful. I think I would really like the white countertops - I won't get tired of it as quickly. What do you mean by reducing the number of wall units? Thank you
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 12:44PM
Eat Live Sleep
Well if you look at the photos you like, they are lighter and much more contempoary by not having heavy kitchen wall units (its a very dated way of planning kitchens). If you removed the wall units either side of the clock and the corner but kept the tall storage units by the oven you would instantly lighten the look, and make it look not just refershed but new and more expensive, just like those photos you like! You would get a much more dramatic look as the wall is cuurently broken up horizontally! It's a good trick that interior designers use to add drama!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:02PM
Jenna Carr
I never thought of it like that. I like that idea! Just not sure what I would do for storage but, that definitely makes sense.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 3:53PM
pcmom1
I would paint the cabinets. That will be a huge difference. And when you do a new quartz countertop on the island consider an overhang on two sides, the current one and the table side. Makes conversation easier between guests.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 4:06PM
pcmom1
I am not loving that hood vent box either. When you change out the countertop, maybe you can do a vent that come up from below the counter. Then hang a light fixer from that box? Or a pot rack light combo:

712 W. Bauer
Kitchen and Addition
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 4:12PM
Jenna Carr
What's an over hang on 2 sides? I agree - the vent / box HAS to go. I was in shock when my husband & the carpenter came up with that but, it was too late. Now - 9 years later & the lights don't work - it was very costly but, it cannot be repaired. Definitely not what I expected! I do think the vent that is in the counter is a good choice. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I too think painting the cabinets is a good idea - I'm just terrified knowing it's good quality wood. Please continue with the suggestions... I'll get it under control sooner or later with everyone's help. THANK YOU!!
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 4:44PM
Jenna Carr
Oh... I think it means to have the sitting area on the end also? Good idea!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 4:48PM
smileyface2013
I agree with Darzy, paint the wood crown molding. It will update the walls and lighten the feel of the room.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 4:55PM
Search in Houzz photots "brown kitchens" and you will see that beautiful wood cabinets are just that - beautiful. Then, you an get ideas on how you "lighten" your kitchen without painting the quality wood.
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 10:13AM
Jenna Carr
Thank you Darzy... I appreciate all of your help. I think my first step is to take the vent hood mess down & get can lights. Then I can get the crown molding & ceiling painted. After that I think possibly getting a contractor to add to the top & side of my cabinets... Maybe some glass doors on some & have someone re-stain the cabinets so they're not so goldish orange. I think a white quartz with maybe a little gray - maybe not? Counter top And a white subway tile for the back splash would update it??? What do you think? The good part is that I am in no hurry. I want yo make sure I make the right decisions. I could possibly re-do the island and have it painted so that I have a little variation. So... That's what I'm thinking after all the comments and help. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. I cannot say that enough. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:08PM
Jenna Carr
I think a stain simular to this I could live with & be happy.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:31PM
Paint? Or not?
What should i do to update kitchen and family room?...
ashkely
Louisiana style "A Hays Town" inspired architecture
I do not care for the color of the trim and doors....
Ann Horn
Room for sick child
Our 9 year old little girl has a terminal disease....
tlittle840
wood trim advice
I have wood trim throughout my entire house and hate...
lisalovesace
Plantation home bathroom redo-Need advice!
I am redoing a bathroom in a plantation home in Louisiana....
bbubenzer
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Help me salvage this budget bedroom update!
So. Our master bedroom. After two year here, we finally...
Laura
How do I fix this???
"Brass" fireplace...off center...nothing up top? This...
ahouk95
Area rug, does it work?
Just purchased this area rug 8x11 and trying to decide...
criticalaoa
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare-TAKE2
Hi All- I need help pulling my kitchen together! The...
mhaber22