help needed for adding new kitchen cabinets
dsimber
The first two photos show my [small] kitchen and dining area, taken before I had the desk and pantry closet removed. In their place which is the same length as the wall with the French-style doors--about 9 feet--I want to install new cabinets. This space forms the only "dining room" in the house. I need to store more than dinnerware in this area…probably items like small appliances--but I want a countertop running the full length to use for buffet-style meals.

I need to decide whether to try to match the color of the existing cabinets or choose a painted cabinet in white or antique white. I may be able to match the color, but would it be better to choose white or antique white? The woodwork throughout the house is white. The existing cabinets are a medium cherry, and a lot of my furniture is dark cherry. I would greatly appreciate hearing the pros and cons of choosing white or antique white. For example, how do I achieve the right balance when two colors are used? I usually see a smaller area such as an island when two colors are used, but in my case, I think the new cabinets will appear to be equal in number, if not more because they will not be separated by appliances. I have added two additional photos taken at a home show…these are from the same kitchen, much larger than mine. Note that the area with painted cabinets ( a bar, I think) is much smaller that the main kitchen. Also, I need to consider resale value. And what if I cannot match the existing cabinets? Worst case scenario is that I would have the desk reinstalled and add a white or antique white cabinet-style pantry where there were sheetrock walls and white door. I look forward to feedback as I weigh this decision, and I thank you in advance.
dsimber
Added notes to original entry: the appliances have been replaced with stainless steel, and my plan is to choose the same countertop and backsplash for the entire space regardless of whether I choose to try to match the existing cabinets or go with a contrasting painted cabinet in the same Shaker style. (I had the pantry and desk removed so the hardwood floor could be installed in those areas at the same time I had it extended into the family room; all was then sanded and sealed…no stain, so the color is somewhat lighter than what is shown in the photos, and it is a nice contrast.) Also, the wall color is now a medium tan. My goal is to have a monochromatic color scheme that ranges from white to cream to a light caramel for the entire open concept space. I also plan to change out the chairs (although I have eight!) and possibly the table, even though I probably cannot afford the same quality as what I have now. It was great in my formal dining room, but this space which opens to a family room [no formal living room, either] seems to call for furniture that is more casual. I've attached a few more photos to give a sense of the entire space.
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 12:11AM
dsimber
And a couple more photos to give you a more complete view. (I wish I knew how to edit this so it were all one entry.)
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 12:16AM
Grusby Woodworks LLC.
It will certainly be difficult to match the existing cherry as it can darken quite a bit with exposure to sunlight. If the new cabinets are being custom built, then they can color match a stain to match the existing color. Otherwise, I agree that you're better off with a paint. Given your color scheme, I'd suggest an antique white or light cream color.
Another option would be to have a distressed look which can tie in the new and old really well. In this case you'd have cherry cabinets with a white or other color painted on top, then sanded in spots to show some of the cherry through. This can be a beautiful look, but needs to fit your aesthetic and budget (it is a more expensive option). Good luck.
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 4:02AM
need help in adding need kitchen cabinets--color
We want to add some kitchen cabinets to our existing...
Howard Entman
Need help with new paint color for kitchen cabinets
I am moving into my new house soon, and the first project...
lynne08
I need help for my kitchen-new counters, new cabinets or leave it?
We live below the Tetons in a log home and my kitchen...
krunyan56
Need help adding color or decor to kitchen
Only one open wall beside the pantry which is wired...
jcandee
Please tell me what black paint would be best for My bedroom walls.
I really want to remodel my bedroom by painting the...
iliana123
Help with floor plan and kitchen!
We are planning a big remodel and just can't make the...
bearellis
The exterior of my house needs updating?
We live in an area with cold winters. Currently we...
dwillcut
Condo "Walk in Closet"
I have a 5ft 11 in x 5ft 11in "walk in" closet in my...
rfragachan
Help!!
I am buying this house for an AMAZING price and we...
sweetangel3959