Can I move the cold air return to the right far enough to open these t
suzannebuck
I need to redesign my kitchen ,but I have a cold air return that needs to be moved to open entry from kitchen to dining room ultimately makin a large kitchen with island (as it is I am closed off from everyone when I am in kitchen, subsequently I hate my kitchen layout and hope I can open these rooms up and yet keep the victorian charm intact. What I need to know ....can the return vent be moved slightly to allow the two rooms to become one.
Fred S
Yes, but have an HVAC contractor look at it to see if it will be a simple move or something more complicated. Have a tentative kitchen plan available, as the return air should not be too close to the stove.
0 Likes   July 30, 2014 at 4:30PM
A word of caution: when I had my return moved, my HVAC contractor (who is now my FORMER HVAC contractor) didn't tell me that he was going to make it smaller, and that making it smaller would make my heat pump less efficient and hasten its demise. Be sure, when they move it, they size it properly.
0 Likes   July 30, 2014 at 5:29PM
fredm51
As a retired HVAC tech pulling air out of a kitchen is not the best Idea. You will pull the smells from the kitchen and dump it into every room the HVAC services. The size is very important not only less efficient but also can be noisy. There is a tool to find what size duct should be used and what size should go to every room. Call a good Contractor and tell him you would like a rigid vent for your return. It will be more expensive that than non-rigid but it will not twist or binding over the years.
2 Likes   July 30, 2014 at 8:05PM
I need to redesign my kitchen ,but I have a cold air...
can i return for refund if doesn't look right
are these washable? do you just tie them on the rod??...
decorate around cold air return
Any Ideas to decorate around the vent? It's located...
Help needed re cold air return vent
I would like to position a dining room hutch in an...
Help! Feminine Home office needs color and excitement
This is a photo of my home office currently. I'd love...
Colours that works with the floor
I just bought a house and the kitchen is stumping me....
Family room update
I need help with wall decor, art etc. Also input for...
Need help with this room
I am not sure what to do with this room that goes out...
Wanting to put slate tile floor in entry way, hesitant, needing advice
Anyone out there used slate tile floor in entry way/walkways?...