Need entryway help!!

nico72July 30, 2014
I have the world's most boring entryway! I have worked so hard on making my house a place my family loves, and for the life of me, I just can't figure out what to do with the front entrance.

The door is bright red, which I love, but when you come in, you are facing wooden coat closet doors. To the left are stairs with drab carpeting (someday I would love for those to be hardwood like the rest of the house, but we can't afford to do that, and it's fine with us because our kids are still little). There is a framed print on the landing, which you face when coming down the steps.

To the right is our piano room ("formal" living room"). The space directly around the door just seems too small to put ANYTHING! Same with the stairs; I would love to put a plant there or something, but I think it would just be in the way.

I am attaching pics that hopefully give you a really good idea of what I've got going on. I tried to show just how you see the house when you walk in, looking to the left and right, and then of course a view of the front door from the insied.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
Nicole
hayleydaniels
Find yourself a portrait oriented picture to go where you have that small picture. It needs to be narrow so it fits the space like a panoramic picture, or you could put two small framed pictures there one above the other.

I would also put a larger more colorful rug there to add visual interest to the area.
    Bookmark   Thanked by nico72    July 30, 2014 at 5:21PM
nico72
I'm liking both those suggestions, thanks! Now that I am looking at it again, both the painting and the rug are pretty tiny...
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 5:38PM
pcmom1
Art is almost always a lot more interesting than a mirror. Shop around for a large piece of the wall behind the sofa.

The rug in front of the door seems sort of small and dull. Just to see the change it would make, bring one of the larger ones from the room there. Really large would have major impact.
Entry · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nico72    July 30, 2014 at 5:52PM
pcmom1
Like to see more photos of the living room from different angles. Right now it seems out of balance with the large white chair and two small chairs. I know you are asking about the entry, but that is the space your eye goes to.

Try pulling the sofa away from the wall some. You have plenty of room.
thriftydecorchick · More Info
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 5:56PM
MarleneM
The best way to add interest to this area is art. You could add some to the wall right where the stairs turn and also by door as hayley said. Also that art that's by the stairs over the runner, is that there by itself? If so, it needs to be larger or in a grouping.
    Bookmark   Thanked by nico72    July 30, 2014 at 5:56PM
pcmom1
I see you have a piano. I would like to see it in an arrangement more like this. Or put in the spot where the sofa is. Think the white shelves should be moved to a different room.
Golf course Gem · More Info
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:03PM
nico72
I am rewriting this answer about the hallway art... NO, it is not by itself; it is next to another piece in the same series by one artist. It's colorful, and the two together really take up a lot of that small wall. I do like the idea of adding even more, though!
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:04PM
pcmom1
Or maybe wallpaper that wall with a grass cloth and arrange this way:
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nico72    July 30, 2014 at 6:05PM
nico72
Unfortunately, an arrangement like the above photo would not work with our three windows that face the street. But I will think about moving the piano. It hadn't occurred to me!
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:14PM
nico72
I meant the Golf Course Gem photo... This second photo pcmom1 posted is def something I could try!
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:15PM
nico72
I have to admit, I've been very nervous to get a nice rug for the entryway because I keep picturing everyone stepping on it in street shoes. Is that ridiculous? The runner is wool, and I agree I should get a large rug -- a beautiful, eye-catching one! -- for the entry, but what kind? Any ideas? Has anyone had one of the colorful recycled plastic ones that you can hose off? They look so lively but I don't know how well they wear or what they look like up close.
    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:20PM
pcmom1
Get a nice wool one. I have had the same one in my home's entry for years with a very casual family (messy feet!), cats that vomit up their food a few time a week (always on the rug by the door), etc. and it holds up just fine. Relax!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nico72    July 30, 2014 at 9:41PM
rocketjcat
Please don't resort to one of those plasticky outdoor rugs for there. There are many nice rugs that are machine washable. I have this 4' off white one at my front door year round. Snow boots, garden shoes, muddy paws all get tracked on it. I throw it in the washer and air dry and comes out fine. I think I got it at JCPenneys. Are you planning on a shade/curtain/drape/something for the window by the door? If so I think you won't need anything else between the window and the door. I would love to see a piece of art on the staircase landing however. :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nico72    July 31, 2014 at 12:14PM
nico72
I love your rug, rocketjcat! Where did you get it? And yes, I totally agree the landing needs art!
    Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:38PM
nico72
Oh, and no, not planning for any more window covering. It's got a light filtering shade, and we are going to keep it like that. I actually remembered I have another small painting by the same artist to go between the window and the door!
    Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:40PM
rocketjcat
My rug came from JCPenneys online. It has really eliminated my angst about people tromping across it. Just go to their website and search for machine washable rugs. They have lots. I see you like orientals so here's one you might like.
My 4' hexagonal fits in my washer fine... This is 5' which I think is better for your space, but it might entail an occasional trip to the laundromat. It's on sale now too.
http://t.jcpenney.com/tablet/jsp/browse/pp/product.jsp?Ntt=washable%20rug&ppId=pp5004070707&categoryId=&subcatId=&deptId=&regId=&cmcatId=&currentDim=&dimCombo=&currentDimVal=&dimComboVal=&grMode=&Nao=96&pN=5
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nico72    August 1, 2014 at 4:10AM
nico72
I wanted to post a pic of how I rearranged the living room, which is what you see to the right when you come in. I think it's much better! The bookcases are now on the opposite wall (you can see them in the mirror). I'm still looking for the perfect art and entryway rug, but this rearranging was something I could do for free. :) I also plan to get a large sisal rug for under the majority of the area, small end tables, and tall plants for both sides of the piano.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 6:24PM
pcmom1
It is looking just great!
    Bookmark   Thanked by nico72    August 3, 2014 at 7:28PM
pcmom1
Why not try the rug that is in the living room at the front door?

By the way, great art piece in the dining room!
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 7:29PM
PLC Interiors
I had the same kind of entrance at one time. I converted the coat closet to an arched niche with glass shelves and a cabinet on the bottom. I put in a recessed light to show off a large piece of pottery on the glass shelf. Also put tambor/tambour doors on the base cabinet. The doors and the arch played into the Spanish style I was going for. (yes, I gave up the coat closet but it was worth it). I also painted the back of the niche a mediterranean red
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 7:40PM
SPARC Design
Why not light up your entry way with a beautiful customised neon piece? Neon is unique, warm and adds character to any room. We can customise your own unique design, with a wide range of fonts, colours and timber finishes to suit your home best.

Good luck!

SPARC Design
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 7:43PM
nico72
pcmom1, thanks! I did try the rug at the entryway, and the overall look was great, but it's too big. I am looking for something similar in 3x5. Lots to choose from. Oh, by the way, the art is by the artist Elizabeth Kauffman (my sister-in-law - lucky me!). PLC Interiors, I absolutely LOVE that idea about the coat closet!!
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:03PM
PLC Interiors
oh good. I can dig up a photo if you like. It's buried in a box somewhere! That coat closet backed up to my kitchen so when the insides of the coat closet was completely removed, it was about 30" deep. We did back-to-back cabinets - so on one side, was the arched cabinet facing the front door. The other side was another cabinet (facing into the kitchen). I put shelves and a wine storage cabinet on that side. Again, painted the exposed back red.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:11PM
nico72
I would love to see a photo! What did you end up doing with your coats?
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:18PM
nico72

OK... posting an update. I finally found art I wanted for the entryway. It is a print of cranes, which when displayed should bring good health and happiness to the home. :) I am attaching all angles again, as I did in the initial post. I love the rug I found -- size, colors, and the fact that it's cotton and machine washable. I also love the way it looks across from the wool Indian runner! I am so-so about the three pics at the landing. I think I need one more in that grouping, but hubby disagrees, so I've left it alone.

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 12:37PM
Need entryway help
We just moved in & didn't have anything for the...
Ashley Judge
Need Help With Entryway...Help
I stripped off the wallpaper, had the wall re-textured...
chrisvl
Need help with my entryway.
Hello again. Just posted about my living room and we...
brytegirl
Entryway has potential but I need help!!!
High traffic area. Main entry into house. 3 boys enter...
Carole Walker Thon
Need help with entryway table
Hi, I'm trying to decide what size entryway table I...
bridgetwolfel
how to winterize an outside upstairs room
We want to incorporate part of our outside, upper deck...
mariatiazza
Need help for my powder room
I have a large mirror over the vessel sink in my small...
sherrykyle
Towel bars as drawer pulls?
I want a contemporary look in my new bathroom. I cannot...
gourmetphd
Help with my living room
I would love to hear some ideas of how To decorate...
monicamb
Big white wall
Need to do something with this wall . Any ideas?
corrinalee