WeCork brand Cork Floors - Denting? All cork floors dent?

mkoplmnJuly 31, 2014
I'm considering cork floors for my kitchen remodel. My research brought me to this long and informative blog post:
http://www.thissortaoldlife.com/2011/10/14/everything-you-really-need-to-know-about-cork-flooring/

The blog poster recommended the following reputable brands: Wicanders, WE Cork, Globus, Torly's.

"Several cork brands seem to have a good reputation. We went with Wicanders for price and availability. The WE cork looked and felt almost exactly the same as the Wicanders, and if we could have gotten a better deal on it we would have been happy to go with it. " -- Blogger

I was able to obtain samples of WE Cork's "Canyon" floating floor, but much to my disappointment, the sample failed my first test. I put it under the plastic-capped leg of my dining room chair and noticed several dents after sitting on it for about 20 minutes. I then put it under the plastic rolling legs (one of five spokes) on my office chair. This did not dent the sample, but I did notice several scratches.

I performed the test about a week ago, and the dents are still visible. Even the dents I made with my fingernails are still visible. I don't understand how it could scratch this easily...The blogger said that he/she dragged a quarter across cork samples and was unable to damage them.

How disappointing. I really wanted cork for my kitchen, and WE Cork seemed like such a reputable brand (and on sale for less than $5/SF!). Do all cork floors dent this easily?
Cancork Floor Inc.
These are "dimples" they "pop" back out! These are not permanent, they are NOT defects, they are not "damage". If this was oak, you would have added "character" to the floor = permanant damage.

Try using a HOT WET CLOTH, and put it in the microwave for 15 seconds. Using an oven mit, place the super-heated cloth onto the dimples and let it rest until the cloth is cool to the touch. Remove and evaluate the floor.

Congratulations...you have just discovered the "memory" that cork possesses. Cork is the "trampoline" of hard surfaces. It compresses and rebounds. The finish on WE cork = NORMAL for cork. The finish MUST BEND AND TWIST with cork. If you put a hard, brittle finish on cork (like Wicanders and Torlys) you end up with a cracked mess that hazes (turns milky) in a few years.

A cork floor is the softest hardwood on the market. Like ALL HARDWOODS it requires occasional maintenance. This maintenance requires you to ADD FINISH every 7-10 years depending on the wear. A low impact home with a low quality "urethane finish" cork means the finish must be reapplied every 2-3 years. A high end polyurethane finish means the refinishing needs to be done every 7 years. That same finish in a low traffic home = 10 years.

The N. American mind set = tough = hard. Cork is forgiving and durable...in a different way than hardwood. Remember: if you are left "unphased" by dents left in a carpet (a carpet leaves more dents than cork...something to think about) then dimples left in cork shouldn't upset you.

If you have the personality that insists that everything needs to look perfect, for decades without any form of "living" showing on the floor, then ceramic tiles are the perfect option. I know many people who love cork for the quiet comfort of it...it is easy to keep clean and is lovely to walk on in bare feet. I also know several people who wanted all of those things but could not "handle" the small dimples things would leave behind.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by mkoplmn    July 31, 2014 at 3:51PM
mkoplmn
Thanks, I will try the hot wet cloth trick! What do you think of the blog article that I posted?

Do you think WE Cork is better than Wicanders and Torlys?

Have you ever heard of CaliCork? I have one of their samples and it passed my "chair dent test" with no dimples or scratches. The cork appears to be significantly thicker than the WE Cork, but it does not look as nice and feels nowhere near as smooth as the WE Cork. I also forgot about the sample and left it in my hot car in direct sunlight for a couple weeks before I performed the test. Maybe this made a difference?
    Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 6:35AM
Cancork Floor Inc.
WE cork is a the "little" sister of Wicanders. They are both owned by Amorim. Wicanders is the high-end product. WE cork is the "everyone can afford me" cork from the Wicander's family. Torlys is in the same category as Wicanders. Calicork probably has Aluminum Oxide Urethane as the finish. It "seems" tougher...but it can never be refinished/resealed. Should not be installed in Kitchens, entranceways or bathrooms = same as Wicanders/Torlys.
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:51AM
aledokitchen
I'm more confused. So...WE cork is cheaper but can be installed anywhere but the high-end Wicanders and Torlys brands should not be installed in kitchens?
    Bookmark   November 20, 2014 at 7:27PM
jalrdcd
Mine is being installed as I sit here (on lunch) at work. I don't remember what brand I purchased, but I certainly hope I chose correctly!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 13, 2015 at 10:45AM
sacapuntaslapioz
it does dent high heels are killers
1 Like    Bookmark   January 13, 2015 at 10:51AM
Cancork Floor Inc.
I wear high-heels at work (and I'm a big girl) on our cork floor and I've yet to have anyone "spot" the high-heel marks. We have 3 different floors in our display room (two natural and 1 with a light maple stain) and they all "hide" imperfections very, very well.

@jalrdcd As for "hope you chose correctly" it depends on what you purchased and where it is being installed. One thing I've learn is the sales people (big box or even mid-sized stores) have very little knowledge of cork and often give out "damaging" advice to their clients. You are welcome to ask what ever questions you have...I would be happy to ensure you use the correct product (cleaning) and the correct maintenance products (polishes or polyurethane...you will use one but not both) for your floor.

When you get home you will find a box or two sitting around (at least you better...you bought the floor = any left overs are yours). Feel free to send me info and I will help you find the right way to live with your cork.
    Bookmark   January 13, 2015 at 4:37PM
aledokitchen
I am seeking information about cork flooring for use in the kitchen that is available near Fort Worth TX. The few samples I've seen seem to made of a combination of plywood or other products but they are back with an extremely thin layer of cork. The thin cork layer is the only part that seems soft or cushy. Again it is backed by this layer so would not even be seen. The upper part appears to be vinyl or plastic like. Perhaps I haven't seen true cork flooring yet. Any information or suggestions are welcome.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2015 at 6:10AM
Cancork Floor Inc.
TX is not the "hot bed" of cork you are hoping for. You will need to work with a specialty company that probably has to mail/ship the cork to you. This is normal...this is how specialty cork flooring works.

If you want "thicker" cork then you have to look to 100% glue down tiles 4mm - 8mm thick)...unforntunately a glue down installation in Texas can be troublesome (not the best option). The amount of water sitting in the ground makes gluing down cork to concrete slab in Texas an act of love...or an act of instanity. The same reason you shouldn't glue down hardwood in Texas is the same reason you shouldn't glue down cork in Texas.

A cork floating floor (click together) is a far more appropriate option. A floating floor can/should be sealed after installation in a kitchen to prevent water/spills from damaging the planks. A cork floating floor will have (roughly) 1/8" cork surface (3mm - 3.5mm thick) layered over top of "fibre board" of and then the third (bottom) layer = 1/32" cork underlay (1mm - 1.5mm thick).

There are plenty of products out there called "vinyl cork" where there is a layer of vinyl sitting on top of the cork surface which is what you probably have seen.

If you want to see 60+ cork options, try visiting: www.icorkfloor.com and remember to order samples.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2015 at 5:03PM
sabsmart
Although this comment is not about dents, it is about scratching. I have 2 active cats and we installed cork flooring in our kitchen a few months ago. (WE cork, 12 x 24 plank flooring). Despite trimming their nails the floors are a mess due to the fact that they chase each other around and the kitchen seems to be the runway. We'll live with the cork until we can't stand looking at it anymore but don't install cork if you have cats that use the area actively. I can't speak for dogs.
    Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 8:56AM
Wood or Tile in Kitchen (Wood scares me--won't it scratch/rot/dent?)
I have to say almost every single new home being built...
jasellyn
Cork care
I have sealed cork flooring in my kitchen and breakfast...
jengregory
Houzz Live Chat: Flooring Options and Tips
Welcome to Houzz Live: Flooring Options and Tips! Today...
Jeannie Nguyen
Cork floors
I currently have tile and absolutely hate the coldness...
snipsnapper
Cork floors for bedrooms?
I am completely confused as to what to put in my bedrooms....
MaryBeth_Leiker Fisher
My living room is a tad too stark! Suggestions?
Artwork layout, window treatments, lamp shade, and...
carolbrandywine
UP IN THE AIR FRONT DOOR!
"UP IN THE AIR" Please help with our second...
teresatrax
A Hare-y bedroom
Im about to embark on designing this bedroom. I have...
toatsmcgoats
Modern House with Red Barrel Roof? How to...
Hello, Thank you for your advise. How can I make...
kaptnskipy
Help! Living Room Needs Serious Help
I love our house but I'm not very good at furniture/color...
Elaine Suarez