Need ceiling fan assistance
dtarkaAugust 1, 2014
These are the pictures of our Master Bedroom. We are searching for a ceiling fan with a light vs. a chandelier. Our style is transitional but leaning more towards traditional. In your opinion, would this ceiling fan fit in with the room design?
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
I generally reccommend not installing a ceiling fan with built in light. The moving fan blades cause shadows. Try a fan with medium to dark wood blades and a dark brass body.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dtarka    August 1, 2014 at 9:02AM
dtarka
Thank you for the feedback.
The room really needs the extra light and we do not want a standing light fixture.
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 10:16AM
mmilos
The light is below the fan blades. I never had any issue with shadows from the moving blades.

I think the fan you chose would work since it looks like it's a similar finish to the hardware on your dresser. The nickel finish gives it a more contemporary vibe.

Since you have a vaulted tray ceiling, I would definitely purchase an extension rod for the fan.

Make sure the light is bright enough for you. Sometimes those contemporary fans only come with one 60-100W halogen bulb.

I would check out a website called Hansen Wholesale. They have the best ratings and info on ceiling fans.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dtarka    August 1, 2014 at 10:55AM
makaloco
I have ceiling fans with lights in three rooms, including the bedroom. They can throw shadows onto the ceiling, but that has never bothered me. I'd use a white fan in this room because I don't care for silvery finishes, but the nickel one would work fine if you like it. It can be a challenge to find traditional ones that don't have chandelier or flowery cup lights.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:09AM
Cheryl Khan
I wouldn't see a problem with a ceiling fan with a light. If you have severe problems with moving shadow and motion sickness then yes, that might make sense. Generally speaking, when have you ever heard someone complain about the shadows a ceiling fan casts? A transitional fan would work fine, I'd just recommend doing more with the room and adding more decor so it doesn't look like a bland room with a nice ceiling fan.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dtarka    August 1, 2014 at 11:10AM
dtarka
Yes Cheryl- this is a new construction home and our 2nd year in it. We are taking our time and working on different rooms as needed. We recently completed the woodwork and paint and would like to add the ceiling fan as it would help with our summer heat. Next is to add console & pictures to the sitting room and a possible full length mirror with a bench on the side wall between closet door and bathroom. Thanks so much!
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:22AM
Cheryl Khan
dtarka, sounds like you've already got a plan put together. That's great, I just didn't want the fan to look out of place. Looks like you know what you're doing! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 2:01PM
Need assistance with living room decor.
I have plans to change the furniture to 2 blue or cognac...
ebonydiva
Kitchen transformation assistance?
I had posted about a week a go asking for advice on...
meganlanephotos
Pendants or ceiling fan
I'm designing my new kitchen and I need direction on...
Laurie
Need help mounting our new outdoor ceiling fan under our pergola.
Our electrician installed our wet rated minka aire...
jstuke1
Need HELP with my entryway
I have this buffet that I originally bought to go next...
kbena
Need advice for entryway
What thoughts do you have on the area infront of the...
ginamuto
2 different hardwood floors
I want to replace front entrance , hallway and living...
heathercarla
Living room floor
I ripped up carpets in my living room. But I'm having...
Rebecca Zingler
Bedroom needs finishing details?
How do I jazz up this space? Looking for suggestions...
retrogirl73