Kitchen remodel- go with the flow?
cnat
April 8, 2012 in Polls
We are knee-deep in the process of remodelling our kitchen and am not sure what to do with the flooring. We have an 1890's Colonial with 3" red (?) oak hardwood throughout which we discovered buried deep under layers of various floorings when we moved in. (see picture) Problem is, now that we have demo'd the kitchen, the hardwood underneath does not seem salvagable in that room. We are knocking down the wall, either all or partly that separates the dining room and kitchen to open it all up. The dining room and living area are also opened up with an archway in between. I debated over the cabinets for awhile, but finally decided on recessed panel dark ale maple cabinets for my new kitchen. Its a dark color, but I plan on lighting it up with a light caesarstone counter. There should be plenty natural light as well.

So my question is- what should I do about the flooring in the kitchen? Try to replicate what I already have so that the rooms flow? I am nervous about scratching in such a busy area. Do I have other options? If I did tile, stone, or laminate, would it look choppy? I am scared the whole new room will look completely out of place if I changed the floor. I also love the look of pickled or bleached hardwood. Please help! Any recommendations would be great.
Continue with the same hardwood
Go with something different
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emily Hurley
I think if the dining room and kitchen are going to be open to each other, I would do my best to match the other floor to keep it feeling open. For what it's worth, I have had hardwood in my kitchen for years and haven't had any issues with scratching, except when I have been a little careless with the chairs at the kitchen table. Other than that, it's been great.
   April 9, 2012 at 9:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
David Watson Architects
Your instincts are spot-on. Changing the flooring would look choppy. Keeping the hardwood throughout will improve the visual continuity and flow. Consider the inevitable scratches "character"... then re-finish when you can't take it anymore.
   April 19, 2012 at 12:12PM