Lighting for foyer and upper hallway

abigailcaAugust 1, 2014
We gutted our house (a Cape Cod) several years ago. We had to select fixtures and everything for the entire house before living it. I am now at the point where I am tweaking some of our choices because I know that they can look better. The project I'm working on now is somewhat discrete … our foyer. The light in the foyer is a flush mount (10" wide x 6" high). The style appeals to me but I believe it is too small for our front entrance. I was considering a similar fixture that is bigger from Room & Board that is semi-flush. The door swings at about 1 foot from the ceiling.

I've attached a picture of the existing flush mount. I will also attach a pic of the Room & Board semi-flush mount in the next post. The semi-flush mount is 18 round 9h. We have a couple of cool lights that are in hallways downstairs that I might consider for the upstairs, but I don't want to replace the existing ones only to get the same cluttered look. Does that make sense?

My question is about making the foyer light and finding celling lights for the upstairs hallway to look nice together.

The stairs are right in front of the entrance, so it is normal to look up them. The ceiling has several ugly features to it - two smoke detectors, a ceiling vent and then the lights that we chose are contemporary but they look kind of ugly.

We aren't the type of people to paint the ceiling. I was thinking that changing the light fixtures would make the ceiling more attractive.

Do I get lighting fixtures for the upstairs ceiling that match the downstairs foyer or do I do something different? We are definitely interested in non-fussy/contemporary design. I also think that any shade that is dark would take away from the light upstairs. I have considered semi-flush mount with designs on it, but again, don't want to be fussy.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
ACA
abigailca
Here is the Room and Board picture. Having some technical difficulties with downloading the pictures of the lights in our other hallways. They are round with the middle pulled in (kind of like a donut. Very cool shape but not sure if they are right for the upstairs hallway.)
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:50PM
abigailca
Here is one of the lights we have downstairs in a hallway. Just don't know if it would do the trick as a pair in the upstairs hallway looking up from the foyer.
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:03PM
abigailca
Some other ideas.
The basket weave is 24"x9". They also have a medium size. 16x10

The Nelson lamp would have to hang very close to the ceiling if it is in the foyer. 18"x8" high with 6" cord. Door swings at 12 inches.

The izzy miyake is 18"x14" so could only be hung in upstairs hallway with another one. Kind of expensive too.

I'm looking to draw the eye away from the ugly ceiling in the upstairs hall and to have it work with the foyer light.
    Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 9:37AM
Paint Color Poll -- Entry Foyer & Hallways (Center Hall Colonial)
I am painting my entryway and hallways in our open...
Christine Corrigan
Living room and hallway color
I have very high ceilings in my foyer and living room....
Lindsey
Decorating foyer
I need ideas on how to decorate entryway, including...
jemilyn
Display nook in the foyer ideas?
Hi! might buy a house with This nook in the foyer....
Essie Maser
I think I'm colour blind!
A kind lady at the paint store tried to explain colour...
elarski
Please help with my kitchen, I'm in over my head...
I have so many things going on here. First we sharted...
rterbeek
plzzzz suggeeest.....
I am donig interior of my new flat .for kitchen I am...
khan_rubina11
Please help make my Master Bedroom beautiful!
Hi! I am trying to create a spa-like feel in my Master...
Karen Peters
Should I replace my 40 year old cast cast iron tub, while remodeling?
Our old tub is in pretty good shape. But, seems like...
jaw4x2
Carrier thermostat question
FUrnace is blowing only cold air currently-therm is...
machiorletti