Lighting for foyer and upper hallway

abigailcaAugust 1, 2014
We gutted our house (a Cape Cod) several years ago. We had to select fixtures and everything for the entire house before living it. I am now at the point where I am tweaking some of our choices because I know that they can look better. The project I'm working on now is somewhat discrete … our foyer. The light in the foyer is a flush mount (10" wide x 6" high). The style appeals to me but I believe it is too small for our front entrance. I was considering a similar fixture that is bigger from Room & Board that is semi-flush. The door swings at about 1 foot from the ceiling.

I've attached a picture of the existing flush mount. I will also attach a pic of the Room & Board semi-flush mount in the next post. The semi-flush mount is 18 round 9h. We have a couple of cool lights that are in hallways downstairs that I might consider for the upstairs, but I don't want to replace the existing ones only to get the same cluttered look. Does that make sense?

My question is about making the foyer light and finding celling lights for the upstairs hallway to look nice together.

The stairs are right in front of the entrance, so it is normal to look up them. The ceiling has several ugly features to it - two smoke detectors, a ceiling vent and then the lights that we chose are contemporary but they look kind of ugly.

We aren't the type of people to paint the ceiling. I was thinking that changing the light fixtures would make the ceiling more attractive.

Do I get lighting fixtures for the upstairs ceiling that match the downstairs foyer or do I do something different? We are definitely interested in non-fussy/contemporary design. I also think that any shade that is dark would take away from the light upstairs. I have considered semi-flush mount with designs on it, but again, don't want to be fussy.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
ACA
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abigailca
Here is the Room and Board picture. Having some technical difficulties with downloading the pictures of the lights in our other hallways. They are round with the middle pulled in (kind of like a donut. Very cool shape but not sure if they are right for the upstairs hallway.)
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:50PM
abigailca
Here is one of the lights we have downstairs in a hallway. Just don't know if it would do the trick as a pair in the upstairs hallway looking up from the foyer.
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:03PM
abigailca
Some other ideas.
The basket weave is 24"x9". They also have a medium size. 16x10

The Nelson lamp would have to hang very close to the ceiling if it is in the foyer. 18"x8" high with 6" cord. Door swings at 12 inches.

The izzy miyake is 18"x14" so could only be hung in upstairs hallway with another one. Kind of expensive too.

I'm looking to draw the eye away from the ugly ceiling in the upstairs hall and to have it work with the foyer light.
    Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 9:37AM