I got new windows about a year ago. (Issues?)
fbmbirds
Hello,

So I got some nice new expensive impact windows and hired this reputable company to install them well they used their subcontracting company to do the work but anyhow.

I called an complained to the company I paid and was a little upset that the guys they hired who installed the windows did a poor job or at least I think it was a poor job. Ive already contacted the main people to see if they can correct the issues and they reassured me they would address those issues. Its been a little over 2 weeks and no one has showed up yet. I guess once you pay them all of the money up front they put you on the back burner.

My wife keeps telling me that they will get it corrected but what happens when they come out and do not address the issues correctly and just half ass it again? Do I turn to an lawyer and get legal advice or try to continue working it out.

What would you do If you were in my shoes?

This will be heavy on pictures.

Also you can see in the one that I did get damage to my carpet because the window leaked and allowed water into my house.
fbmbirds
More pics
August 1, 2014 at 5:55PM   
fbmbirds
More
August 1, 2014 at 5:56PM   
fbmbirds
More pictures
August 1, 2014 at 5:59PM   
fbmbirds
More
August 1, 2014 at 6:04PM   
fbmbirds
These are funny. I wondered why I had a draft in my room!!!!
August 1, 2014 at 6:08PM     
fbmbirds
As you can see the install pictures look like everything is good.
August 1, 2014 at 6:09PM   
Harmoni Designs, LLC
That's a pretty lousy caulk job to say the least. You'll probably have more issues with leaking until that's fixed. A good sealant (caulk) should hold up for several more years, so maybe they used the wrong sealant. Anything is possible from looking at how it was installed. It's difficult to say without being onsite to look at it closely, but it seems that there could be flashing missing as well. You shouldn't have to only rely on sealant, because it will break down at some point. I would start with trying to get the main company to come out by calling or sending a firm well written letter. If they don't fix it, then it's time to get a construction attorney involved.
August 1, 2014 at 6:14PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
Look at that trim on the Arch and how they did it. It just looked god awful so I had to fix it anyway I could. I should have called them to come back out and do a proper job. This was the first time I started noticing things with the windows. All of the above photos where what came after. Its only been a little over a year since they got installed.

I used a curved piece of trim vs the square trim they used.
August 1, 2014 at 6:18PM   
fbmbirds
You will also notice on several of those pictures the weep holes. Some are level with the ledge some are below the ledge and some are even caulked over. Does this seem correct to anyone??????????

I do love when people tell me you get what you pay for because I surely overpaid for this shit. The windows on the other hand are excellent and ive had zero issues with them only the install.
August 1, 2014 at 6:26PM   
jonathan3
I am so sorry to see this installation! While I have considered new windows in my house, I will put it on the back burner until I see how this is resolved. This is unacceptable!
August 1, 2014 at 6:56PM   
hambirg
Holy cow, yeah, that's bad. I agree with Harmoni Designs and I hope you get some resolution.
August 1, 2014 at 7:02PM   
apple_pie_order
Send the photos to the main company with a letter explaining what you want and when you want it done.
August 1, 2014 at 7:07PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
^^ I did send a very indepth email explaining it in great detail and attached almost all of the above photos.

Below was what the company replied back to me with, note how there was not any mention of whether or not my carpet will be fixed.

Good morning

The windows and the weep holes will be addressed
August 1, 2014 at 8:20PM   
Nancy Walton
Write to the window manufacturer--my Milgard windows are guaranteed for life. If they are improperly installed it might void the warranty.
August 1, 2014 at 8:22PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
Thanks Nancy Walton, I didnt even think about that. It will be my last resort before I push matters forward.
August 1, 2014 at 8:30PM   
janekel
Did you get a building permit for the windows? I highly doubt the installation would pass inspection. I replaced all of my windows last year with hurricane impact windows and the building inspector demanded a perfect installation. Using the correct caulking is another matter, however.
August 1, 2014 at 8:37PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
mcbmd3
It's been a year since the installation? Get an attorney.
August 1, 2014 at 8:57PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
I dont know if it got a building permit but I was thinking about getting a second opinion on the install and then take that back to the company. The windows got installed in the early part of 2013.
August 1, 2014 at 9:05PM   
Harmoni Designs, LLC
You should not settle until they fix everything around the windows that have been affected. It appears they installed a bead of caulk at the sill that's creating a barrier in front of the sill which blocks water from running away from the windows or doors. The result is probably that the only way the water can go is into your house. Looks like you are having possible mold or stain issues as well as a result of this installation job. You might want to have walls inspected as well for possible hidden issues you haven't seen yet. They should remove the windows completely, so everything can be inspected, not just put new caulk in. If they don't offer to do all of this in writing after you ask for it, then find an attorney that specializes in construction claims.
August 2, 2014 at 5:50AM     
Harmoni Designs, LLC
In most locations it's the contractor that's responsible for pulling a building permit, rarely the homeowner unless they self perform the work.
August 2, 2014 at 5:52AM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
Im still waiting to see what will be done. This has been a long ongoing issue that Ive been dealing with, Sadly I wish I could have noticed a lot of this stuff shortly after they were installed. But here I am over a year later now finding these issues. I will let you all know the outcome.
August 2, 2014 at 11:52AM     
fbmbirds
We are onto day 6 of resolution after notification. Still no word. How long should I wait till I send another email asking when this problem will be addressed?
August 5, 2014 at 12:28PM   
Nancy Walton
The squeaky wheel... I would shoot off another e-mail now and tell them you will be contacting the manufacturer. BTW, a manufacturer does not want someone to carry and install their windows if the installation is sub-par.
August 5, 2014 at 12:55PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
Harmoni Designs, LLC
I think a week is reasonable. I know people are getting impatient in this high tech world, but a week is not too much to give someone. If you haven't heard by then, it's time to shoot off a formal letter informing them that you expect an answer within 10 days or so, or you will take further action. If still no word after that, then it's attorney time. You might want to contact an attorney already to make sure you follow correct legal procedures as those can vary.
August 5, 2014 at 1:08PM     
wisneb
I used to work for a couple of builders (general contractors). I have never seen anything like that before. I'd be so upset. I agree with all the advice of Harmoni Designs, LLC. Make sure you get proof of delivery of all of your letters sent. Keep a good file and lots of pics. Sorry you are going through this! Argh!
August 5, 2014 at 1:34PM     
fbmbirds
Here is what I sent them.

Hello,

Its been about a week and I wanted to check in to see if you were able to contact the company you hired to install my windows and see what their solution will be to fixing them.

I am in the process of contacting the window manufacturer to discuss possible warranty concerns due to improper installation of the windows.

So please let me know what course of action will be taken.

V/r
August 5, 2014 at 3:36PM     
fbmbirds
Not to harsh right?
August 5, 2014 at 3:37PM   
mcbmd3
If you wait too long, you will lose your window of opportunity to sue for damages. Your letter was not harsh; it was businesslike.
August 5, 2014 at 4:15PM   
Cancork Floor Inc.
That is a very business-like contact email. It states why the email and what you are waiting for. There is no form of nastiness should make the company feel like they want to keep it at this level of "containment".

Sadly this is summer time = vacation time for all the big guns on the pay roll. You can send another email at the end of this week. In the email "Subject Line", I've used words such as "Third Attempt at Contact". This normally gets people's attention! It makes them realize that you are fully aware of how often you have tried...and they realize how many times they FAILED to return your emails.

That could be your next level of "firmness". I would also mention the work was done 18 months ago (or so...be as exact as you can) and that you have been in contact with industry professionals who state 18 months is too short of a time period for windows to fail.

A quick reminder that you are getting your ducks in a row will also show them that you are just sitting around waiting for them to ignore you. You are being proactive about your situation and are arming yourself with knowledge.
August 5, 2014 at 4:27PM     
Sophie Wheeler
Unfortunately, most contractors provide only a 12 month warranty on labor. If they are authorized sellers or installers of your particular brand of window, you may have more recourse since it's been around 16 months since your install. If that bit of leverage doesn't exist, and the dollar amount is likely beyond small claims court, then the only solution could possily be a lawsuit.
August 5, 2014 at 4:36PM     
bungalowmo
The last thing I'd worry about is "sounding" harsh.

I'd let them know they have until (specify day within 1 week of now) and then you will be contacting your lawyer & a consumer advocate group!
August 5, 2014 at 4:39PM     
bungalowmo
Wow...my comment got edited! Seriously. I just want to say that right now you need to be firm...not timid.
August 5, 2014 at 4:41PM     
Nancy Walton
Reporting them to the Better Business Bureau might not be a bad idea.
August 5, 2014 at 5:49PM     
fbmbirds
I am not worried that they wont come through and fix the issue, I know they will but my issue is what quality of work will be performed.

Also Bungalowmo who edited your comment?

Their company moto states that the customer is their number one priority and they will back all their work for any type of install defects. I mean it has it on their company website "Lifetime Labor Warranty against installation defects"

If I didnt already put some caulk at the one window water would still be coming in when it rains. They still not have said whether or not they will fix the spot.
August 5, 2014 at 6:13PM     
Linda
Keep after them! In the meantime, you might want to find out if window installers in your area routinely pull building permits and if one was pulled for your house.
August 5, 2014 at 6:17PM     
fbmbirds
How would I go about finding info on the building permit? What happens if they did not get one? The company I hired said they never had one person complain about the work their window people does. That all changed once I sent them these pictures. The windows were brand new installed on 4/16/2013 not even that long ago and just look at the quality. Im really about to lose it.
August 5, 2014 at 6:22PM   
bungalowmo
fbmbirds....as I was typing, I put in what I wanted to say & when I posted it...my last sentence was gone!

I was simply saying it was time for the big girl p a n t i e s.
Let them know you're no shrinking violet.

Lordy, it wasn't like I had cussed like a drunken sailor!
___________
For the building permit...go to city hall. If they don't have it they can direct you toward who does.
August 5, 2014 at 6:48PM     
Linda
Where I'm at, code enforcement keeps the copies of building permits. They don't have any problems helping you if you are the owner, otherwise you can file a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request and they'll get you the info in a few days. You should also ask if your jurisdiction requires licensing or other requirements for window installation companies.

If they didn't pull a permit, it is evidence of cutting corners.

If the company sends someone out to inspect the installation, be sure to have someone with you to be a witness and help you avoid being pressured into accepting a partial fix. If this is a reputable company, they should be willing to make good on their promises
August 5, 2014 at 7:17PM     
fbmbirds
Hopefully I receive an email tomorrow with a little more info vs the one that stated the windows and weep holes will be addressed.

I feel as if I have no choice but to except their repairs regardless of quality.
August 5, 2014 at 7:42PM   
hambirg
Don't feel that way. When you go to ask about the permit, ask about who you should go to for help to rectify the situation. You might just be told to hire an attorney, but there may be other resources available to you. It doesn't hurt to ask. If all else fails, give your Attorney General's office a call. They might have some good advice for you.
August 5, 2014 at 10:16PM   
ievaa
Hello! You‘re right, Windows are not installed properly. Window weep holes should be higher and NOT covered with anything. You can make an easy experiment to prove this: pour some water on the inside frame and see where it goes. Normally it would quickly come through the weep holes and not on the carpet. :) This should be enough to prove that your complaints are reasonable. Window frames seem to be in a good condition and not damaged. I guess, it would be enough to reinstall them correctly. Also a good idea is to protect the ledge from the rain with a metal window sill. I hope the company you’re dealing will accept their mistakes and you’ll have well functioning windows.
August 6, 2014 at 12:57AM   
fbmbirds
Still waiting on the weather to get better. Its been raining non stop the last 2 weeks. So glad I went ahead and caulked the bedroom window a few weeks back or water would still be coming in. Looking forward to this getting put to rest.
August 11, 2014 at 7:35PM   
fbmbirds
Its been 8 days since last contact I will be sending the following message today for a status update.

Hello,

I wanted to check in and see if your window people were able to come up with a plan for the issues I have brought up in regards to the windows. I understand the weather hasn't been in our favor the last few weeks but it looks like it is clearing up.

I understand your window people are doing other jobs and I will have to wait my turn.The purpose of this email is simply to find out what course of action will be taken to properly fix my window concerns.

V/r

Coty Lake
August 14, 2014 at 8:50AM     
Cancork Floor Inc.
Nice...but a bit too nice. I would remove the "I understand your window people are..." sentance...this gives them too much of an excuse for ignoring you. At this point, you will also need to phone them and then use the email as the "follow-up" method. I would phone and speak with someone. I would keep notes and then send off an email as a follow-up. This offers a paper trail that documents your concerns.

At this point in time you can move to a 1-2 calls/emails per week. Keep pointing out that you have sent "X" amount of emails, "Y" amount of phone calls and you have yet to hear anything concrete from anyone. Tell them the bad weather is causing more and more damage to your carpets and you are scared that the walls may now be soaked and that the fix may turn into something more than just a "re-installation".

You are welcome to increase the pressure at this point. Your approach is nice enough...but don't be too appologetic. And I'm a professional on "their" side of the fence. If professionals like myself say you can "escalate"...then you can/should escalate.
August 14, 2014 at 1:25PM     
Harmoni Designs, LLC
I agree with Cancork. You can still be nice, but they will need to understand you mean business at this point. You'll want to give them a reason to come out ASAP. I think it's okay to let them know you expect them to cover all damages resulting from this and any further damage your home WILL incur as a result of them not coming out immediately to rectify the problems their installers have caused. I would seriously consider having an attorney draft the letter at this point. That should get them moving, or you are in for a long ride anyway. Good luck!
August 14, 2014 at 1:37PM   
fbmbirds
Well they are sending the people out Monday the 18th around 8-830am. I guess I will be off work until noon making sure to have a nice long chat with those people.

Ive also noticed that my cedar siding around the windows in different parts are starting to become dry rot. I got my house painted around the same time as the windows and everything was good. Starting to wonder if the windows had anything to do with it.

Also still no word on who is going to fix my carpet. Ive mentioned it 2 times to the company I paid to do contract the work. What should I do?
August 15, 2014 at 6:29PM   
Nancy Walton
Contract your insurance company, then they will pay the claim and go after the company.
August 15, 2014 at 8:25PM   
Nancy Walton
I belive it's called subrogation.
August 15, 2014 at 8:35PM   
fbmbirds
The guys came out today to address the issues. They were very polite and even informed me that the 45 cuts were something they did in the past but no longer recommend it because water could easily get in there and rot it out. I agreed and let them do their work while I left for work.

I got home a few hrs ago and wanted to check out the work.

Attached are pictures.
August 18, 2014 at 12:44PM   
fbmbirds
more pics
August 18, 2014 at 12:48PM   
Nancy Walton
That's terrible! It looks like they cut the sills to allow the weep holes to work.
August 18, 2014 at 12:53PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
more pics since you love them
August 18, 2014 at 1:10PM   
fbmbirds
more pic
August 18, 2014 at 1:57PM   
fbmbirds
Here is my follow up email. Please let me know if this is with in reason.

I would be more than happy to meet up with you to discuss my concerns, however I already took off time from work to meet the window contractors and cannot take any more time off since I started a new job. I could meet with you before/after work during the week or anytime on the weekends, just let me know so I can plan accordingly.

I will state below exactly what I expect to see happen to address my issues, since my concerns for some reason got misinterpreted. Hopefully the pictures I sent before can at least help you see this from my perspective as the homeowner. I was told today that the issue would be fixed only to find out it was made worse.

1. I want the carpet either replaced or cleaned, so it's back to the original state before the windows were installed. The carpet was perfectly fine before the window was installed and was stained because of improper installation/sealing, which caused water to drain down and cause the stain. I stated that I had my dogs cage over that area, so I never seen it until I moved the cage. My wife has tried cleaning the area and it will not come out.

2. I expect the windows to be properly inspected to make sure there are no underlying issues behind the trim, since I've already had 1 leak resorting in damages. What I expected the window contractors to do is at least take the bottom trim off and inspect behind it to make sure everything is good. Since I have concerns of possible issues behind the trim due to the fact that most of windows were allowed to drain in behind for over a year.

3. I want the bottom trim replaced on all of the windows that were notched out, since that obviously is not a normal standard on NEW installs. I expect all of the bottom trim to be even across all windows and be below the weep holes instead of how the contractors decided to notch them out. I want all of the windows to look uniform and proper just like before they were installed. I honestly believed this should have been done the day they were installed over a year ago. I feel as if it is not my responsibility to fix mistakes caused by improper/fast installation.

4. I also would like an explanation as to why the contractors reused my old head flashing from the main living room window on the new living room window when it was installed. (Attached photo)
I paid for the job to be done properly along with using new material. Obviously the head flashing is worn out and needed to be replaced when the new windows were installed.

I demand a written response stating how my above concerns regarding the windows and carpet will be addressed in a timely manner. I am a little upset that the contractors didn't even bother checking with my wife before they left to ensure they were done properly.

I look forward to resolving this issue with you and showing you my concerns in person. I do appreciate your contractors coming out to attempt to fix the installation issues, although it is not up to my standards and I feel that I have the right since I paid to have the windows installed properly.

When you decide to send the window contractors back out I would appreciate you or another employee to do a follow up and make sure the job has been done properly so we can put this case to rest.

Hopefully this email will explain in great detail what my concerns are and how I expect them to be resolved. There will be no further confusion as to what I want done since I must have not been direct in the past.

V/r
August 18, 2014 at 8:16PM     
Kathy Williamson
Having been through this before, I can assure you they will not make this right. It'll have to be fixed by someone else (we bought our roof twice, to the tune of 13K both times!) You can take them to court to recover the amount of the second try but this will not result in a cash refund even though you would probably win. You need to get liens on their property so that when they fly the coop - and they will - they can't sell anything off without paying you. I was raised to pay my bills but you better believe that since the roof disaster, I hold onto that money for a month after the work is done, and reputable contractors have had no problem with my doing so.
August 18, 2014 at 8:42PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
I really wish I wouldn't have paid them in full plus I was overseas working at the time and my wife did not take noticed of the poor install. I only recently found out about all this. I am still holding out hope they will fix this.
August 18, 2014 at 8:46PM     
grobby
You have been treated poorly and getting strung along. I'm a believer in "nipping things in the bud." Get a lawyer, ASAP. My hometown has a news station that runs a segment called
News 2 wants to know. They profile these types of complaints and most of the time they are resolved quickly. The merchants are "shamed" into correcting their faulty products because their company's reputation can be ruined. Also, if you paid by credit card, contact them to see if they can help. The CC companies will stand behind you, but I don't know if there is a time limit. Good luck.
August 18, 2014 at 8:52PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
I did call my town hall and ask several question regarding the permit and they could not find a permit for window install. I did ask about what scenarios require a permit and it surly sounds as if I needed one. He said that once the windows got installed a town inspector would have came out to make sure everything was done to NC standard for the coast. I would have thought the company I hired would make sure all this was taken care of since I paid them. Was it my job to get this permit pulled?
August 19, 2014 at 7:36AM     
Kathy Williamson
Nope, totally their job.
August 19, 2014 at 2:43PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
grobby
I think 2-3 days is enough time. Most people have the courtesy to respond quickly. I would not resend the same e-mail - it may give the installer the idea that you are reluctant to be pursue this aggressively. I would remind him of the numerous times communication has occurred. In the meantime, call the manufacturer, BBB, and anyone else you can think to help. I get the feeling this is hard for you and understandably so. Do you gave a family member or friend that support you through this, if so, I would get the smartest, assertive person I could find. In other words, someone that will tell them up front to quit playing their game and do the right thing.
August 19, 2014 at 8:07PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
I called an inspector to come out and give me an official write up on the windows. I will then take this and make my determination to what happens next.
August 20, 2014 at 12:27PM     
fbmbirds
I figured I will give you a little status update regarding the window issues Ive been having.

The company does not want to admit that the water damage was caused by the window leaking due to how it was installed. they also said that my concerns regarding the weephole were addressed but Im not happy because of cosmetic reasons.

They want to work with me to get these issues resolved but at this point I feel as if I am getting strong armed into taking more poor work vs really addressing what the problems are. I just cannot believe the owner of this company doesn't have 1 single problem with the way his sub contractors preformed work on my house after I stressed my concerns.
August 21, 2014 at 6:00AM   
cbcsucks
WOW those pictures are down right hideous. I would demand some sort of recourse or tell them to float down the river. You should not need to bow before them and like you said be strong armed into accepting crappy work.
August 21, 2014 at 11:03AM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
Its only a matter of time before the evidence out weighs the false quality of work that the company is stating their contractors did. I just hope for their sake its nothing major because if it is major I will not be nice.

Not saying I've been a complete gentleman up to this point but If something comes out that they installed all of my windows improper for the conditions then there will be hell to pay.

I understand they are willing to work with me but look at the quality of work they did to try and address my issues to only really make them even worse.
August 21, 2014 at 11:40AM   
Nancy Walton
I would contact your insurance company because they may decide not to pay if your have a water damage claim down the road, dur to the faulty installation. The bottom trim board should have been beveled so that water would not sit on the top of the board, causing it to rot.
August 21, 2014 at 1:11PM     
fbmbirds
Here are some new pics of what is going on behind the scenes.
August 23, 2014 at 2:45PM   
fbmbirds
here are pictures showing how they decided to put some screws and then skip others.
August 23, 2014 at 2:47PM   
fbmbirds
Here is are pics of my one arch window in my master bedroom. Both Arch windows are like this. Is it just me or should that large space between the window and trim be sealed up properly?
August 23, 2014 at 2:49PM   
Nancy Walton
That is a lousy job, sorry. Yes, that arch window needs caulk. Call the manufacturer to come out, otherwise your warranty will probably be voided.
August 23, 2014 at 4:10PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
Waiting on hearing back from the manufacturer and showing the inspector the new things I found out regarding the screw placement on the windows. Things are starting to show their true colors. All I ever wanted was a correct job to be done. It is a shame that after a year and a half I am just now finding out the flaws. Staying positive and will notify the installers once I get official word back from manufacturer and official write up from the Inspector.
August 25, 2014 at 8:33AM   
soccernutz
Just found your thread...Oh boy, horrible inferior installation. Time to pay an attorney to write a letter to get this fixed asap and be prepared to take them to court. Water draining into the framing is going to cause wood rot issues. This is not going to be easy...
August 25, 2014 at 9:00AM        Thanked by fbmbirds
Good advice about going to your building dep’t and finding our if a permit was pulled and by whom. Make a copy for your records.

If no permit was pulled by the company (their responsibility, not yours), enlist the help of your building inspector as to how to proceed.

Feel free to send this entire post to the company. You can also enter their business contact info so that they can see you are sharing your dilemma with the houzz community.

Several years ago, because my very expensive kitchen cabinets had deteriorated badly, I found a posting here on houzz addressing the same problem as mine…the same brand of cabinets. Neither of us had had good results dealing with the local rep. Once the original poster alerted the company that we were discussing our issues on houzz and naming their business, soon, we were getting a lot of attention from the company, both personally and in our houzz posting, and finally our problem was resolved satisfactorily.

But, it took that kind of bad publicity to get things done. Stick with it.
August 25, 2014 at 9:18AM   
fbmbirds
I checked with the town and even the inspector said that no permit was necessary so that part of the whole issue is out. The inspector did find quite a few things and will be writing up my report asap. I will then mail it out and make sure to do it certified so I get conformation.
August 25, 2014 at 11:56AM     
fbmbirds
The inspector also had to cut out the dry wall in a few spots. the area where the water damage happened turned out to be 100% moisture. there was another area that had 40%. Really looking forward to the finial report.
August 25, 2014 at 12:12PM   
Harmoni Designs, LLC
Inspectors can be helpful, but you might want your insurance company to come take a look as well.
August 25, 2014 at 12:18PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
I truly am surprised to hear that your town does not demand a permit for this type of work. Your outcome is a good example why permits are needed for the scope of a project like yours.

We just replaced 8 windows…permit needed.

Good luck.
August 25, 2014 at 12:23PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
IDK I might check back with the town to see. I really don't know how I would go about contacting my Insurance company regarding this issue.
August 25, 2014 at 12:28PM   
Nancy Walton
Call the claims department, or talk to your agent.
August 25, 2014 at 1:03PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
bungalowmo
You get the phone # and call them! If there is a local office...go there!

You may have hurt yourself a bit by waiting so long. I didn't realize this had been going on for 18 mos!

If this were my home....1st call to attorney (find one who specializes in an area of construction fraud)

2nd call would be to the media. Local paper, tv station. Do NOT be afraid to publically say the name of the install company!

I would have lost (likely) all pleasantries with them after the 2nd week of this disaster. No more Mr. Nice guy. Period!
August 25, 2014 at 1:26PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
grobby
What is taking you so long. Not trying to be rude, but you have a lot at stake here.
August 25, 2014 at 3:29PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
I am trying to work this out with the company that did the work since they haven't made any attempt not to help. I personally do not want to resort to legal matters if the company is willing to admit to their mistake and make it right.
August 25, 2014 at 3:38PM   
I think that the issue is not the windows, it is the installation. You have to go after the installer.
August 25, 2014 at 5:24PM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
I am doing just that JudyG, I will keep everyone posted as to what the out come is.
August 25, 2014 at 5:35PM     
fbmbirds
Still waiting on the inspection report. Looking forward to seeing how the contractor will address the issues. Hopefully get word this week.
September 2, 2014 at 8:43AM   
fbmbirds
I wanted to let everyone know that has been commenting or viewing the thread that the company sent out other guys that also did work on my house in the past and are currently working to fix the issues.
They agree that there was serious corners cut and are taking the windows out as we speak. Its gonna be a long process but everything will be getting addressed correctly. I am very happy for this outcome and glad I didn't jump the gun and seek legal action.

I will honor the company that I originally hired but will not support the work their window guys did. If I ever needed any work done in the future I would still consider going back with them aslong as the window guys are not doing the install work. I am now more knowledgeable on matters like this and it has become one of those life lessons you learn.

Thanks for all the input ladies and gentleman. If anyone wants to see current pictures of the repairs please let me know and I will post them.
September 12, 2014 at 9:56AM     
Harmoni Designs, LLC
Good for you - I'm very glad to hear things are working out. Must have been a frustrating process. Thank you for the update!
September 12, 2014 at 11:22AM        Thanked by fbmbirds
Nancy Walton
I would love to see photos!
September 12, 2014 at 2:26PM     
fbmbirds
Here are just a few pictures of the beginning of the end. More will follow next week.
September 12, 2014 at 3:14PM   
fbmbirds
I also brought a few other things to their attention regarding the outside trim and those issues are getting addressed as well. Here are a few pictures of the trim. Tell me if you see what I see.
last Monday at 11:23AM   
Nancy Walton
The reveal isn't consistent?
last Monday at 12:17PM     
fbmbirds
Day 3 and the work is still being completed. The guys are doing a great job addressing all of my concerns. These windows are starting to look good.
last Tuesday at 9:52AM   
Construction Guaranteed
I'm sorry if this has been addressed earlier in your thread but it is quite long and I cannot read the whole thing. Here is what I see...

The caulking was done by someone who had never handled a caulking before working on your house. The weep holes should be free of obstructions to allow weeping "Weep Holes". This is too obvious.

My question is about flashing(s).

You have a picture with the four window combination with white flashing around the windows. In other pictures it appears that you have what we call "Retrofit" windows.

Said with cowboy voice and thumbs in belt...

"Now I don't know how folks do things where ya all come from but rounds here we don't use retrofit winders when "New Construction" winders are required. Mek em sure dat yur pardners flash dem winders"
last Tuesday at 10:10AM        Thanked by fbmbirds
Construction Guaranteed
Saying that the install job was "Butchered" is an insult to Butchers!
last Tuesday at 10:12AM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
The windows were considered Replacement not New Construction. I guess so they didn't have to make them fit correct? Also to help cut cost.
last Tuesday at 10:18AM   
Nancy Walton
Replacement windows should fit the same way that the original windows fit--snugly.
last Tuesday at 11:43AM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
Yes the way it was explained to me was the replacement windows would be a simple swap of the windows. Everything should have aligned up and installed with ease. Either way the issues are finally getting resolved. There was a communication breakdown on both sides of the line here and it should never have ended like this. Atleast I know from this point on what is expected of myself when dealing with contractors and or pitch men.
last Tuesday at 12:05PM   
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
wood floors
Thinking of selling our home and we are wondering if...
Accent/color dilemma
My main living room colors are a fun apple green and...
Awkward casual living room
After moving in a year ago, I now have the opportunity...