Skylights
Sandra
I am considering putting skylights in the house I'm having built but I've heard they leak eventually. Can you get skylights that won't leak and are good quality?
midmodfan
We've used Velux, they won't leak. From my experience, leaks are usually caused by improper installation, not the window itself.
http://skylights.veluxusa.com/consumer/products/residential_skylights/the_no_leak_skylight
1 Like   Thanked by Sandra    August 2, 2014 at 8:43AM
Blackcomb Glass
How skylights are installed is why they would leak. You need to make sure it is a glazier with experience.
1 Like   Thanked by Sandra    August 4, 2014 at 9:31PM
ohrelax
Sandra, I had 5 skylights installed nearly 20 years ago and have never had a problem with any of them. I absolutely love them! They all have shafts that angle out and flood the house with natural light. Several times I have looked up to find a curious raccoon peering down at me :O).
2 Likes   Thanked by Sandra    August 4, 2014 at 10:19PM
Curt D'Onofrio
Sandra, good question. But one thing you didn't mention is if your roof has a pitch or is flat. We have a flat roof, and backyard leaves all the time (but never goes away), and as such houzzers recommended to me using solar tubes of which i will follow
1 Like   Thanked by Sandra    August 5, 2014 at 12:04AM
GN Builders L.L.C
Sandra, when you purchase your skylights or if anyone else will order them make sure to get a flashing kit with it which are designed to be used without sealants which fail over time down over time and like someone mentioned above a skylight manufacturer like Velux is an excellent choice.

Good luck
1 Like   Thanked by Sandra    August 5, 2014 at 1:09AM
Sandra
Great advice everyone. My roof is not flat at all. I will call Velux and ask for an experienced glazier in my area. The flashing kit was also a great idea I will use. Thank you all so much.
1 Like   August 5, 2014 at 3:54AM
ohrelax
If you put skylights in bathrooms, consider the kind that open. Heat rises and you will never have steamed up mirrors or moisture problems - just natural light and fresh air.
1 Like   Thanked by Sandra    August 5, 2014 at 8:33AM
Gilda Orwasher
I am building a house in CT with a flat roof and I need the skylight hatch in the picture as it is flush, mostly, with the roof. Can you send me material and the specs on this skylight hatch so I can buy it?
1 Like   Thanked by Sandra    August 12, 2014 at 6:08PM
GN Builders L.L.C
There is a size sheet and specification guide. Follow this link and see if you can find it what you need : http://commercial.veluxusa.com/commercial/products/venting_access/cva

Good luck
1 Like   Thanked by Sandra    August 12, 2014 at 7:41PM
Cusano Construction Company Inc.
Any penetration in a roof can create leaks over time. People always say skylights leak. This is true because they take up so much area and have more possibilities to fail. In theory when properly flashed and sealed you should expect it to last the duration of the roof. In Turn, Ipersonally I advise against them.
1 Like   Thanked by Sandra    August 13, 2014 at 2:40AM
Sandra
What about polycarbonate for skylight in the roof of the porch in addition to the skylights in LR? If it's not so dark on the porch it won't be as dark in the room.
0 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 3:33AM