How do I work out a colour theme for all rooms of a home?
rmuk
I've taken on the role of interior designer for a home. I have a creative flair but I'm not trained in this profession. I would greatly appreciate some tips/advice in knowing how to create a colour theme that's well thought out and that flows well from room to room - entrance, living & dining room, corridor, guest w/c, bathrooms and bedrooms. Is there a formula from which I can work?
Neha Gulati
This is incredibly disrespectful. You need to be trained in interior design in order to call yourself an interior designer. It's wrong to do so otherwise. Period.

The 'formula' is in training either on the job with a design firm or in school
August 3, 2014 at 3:29AM     
Design has no set 'formulas' like math or engineering.
August 3, 2014 at 4:58AM   
rmuk
Hi Neha - let me clarify my initial description. I'm helping my family do up their new home as they love my creative flair. Given that I don't have formal training, I reached out to the wider community for assistance. It's as simple as that.
August 3, 2014 at 5:56AM     
craftyoldman
I see how none of these comments are very helpful. Ha.

Okat let's see. In terms of a formula, yes, as a designer, you are taught about colours and how they mix and their effect on the eyes as well as mood.

So, I can only assume you know the basics of colours and how they work - primary school stuff.

This is such a fun question! Remember - colour co ordination is so much fun! Be playful - don't be afraid of colours.

1. Think about your family and the kind of atmosphere each room has - is it calm and relaxing? Is it exciting and filled with positive energy? Does everyone get along?

2. When I start looking at colours I look at the furniture that is available at first because I would hate to get a stunning paint colour that doesn't co operate with whatever furniture is in the market, something I could afford, etc.

3. The next thing I think about is the room I am working on - for example, in my bedroom, I want a sultry, relaxing place, where I feel different from the outside world. I would like something moody and sensual - that would make me happy. For this purpose - I would probably use darker colours that are warm, too. Maybe very dark, high gloss blues or even black.

4. Think about the function of the room - is it a blank canvas or are there already existing architectural plans? Is it a high traffic area? Is it for guests or personal use? Is there a certain vibe you want?

5. Bare with me, I promise this will be helpful. Look at things you like for inspiration - it could be anything. For example, maybe a piece of art work, a favourite item of clothing or an object of some sort - then look closer at it - look at the texture, pattern, shape, design, fabric and work from there - take your inspiration from the things you love!

6. Find colours that can be transitional throughout a persons life - for example if you use shades of blues and creams for a little boys room, make it so that it will also be timeless as he grows.

7. When you have chosen a colour, put a 2x2 sample of the paint in three areas of the room - one where it gets the most natural light, and one where it is cast in the shadows - the last one in a neutral space. THIS is because lighting severly affects the colour. Also, live with the samples for a few days before you decide to commit - you may love it immediately and hate it after a week or vice versa.

A general rule of thumb that a lot of designers like to use is "light colours in small spaces" - I don't agree with that entirely. YES, use a balance of colours to create interesting walls but there is no rule saying you HAVE TO follow this. Whenever I see a small space , I like to play with bold and bright colours - I like thinking of small spaces as jewellery boxes.

I have a small extension to my bedroom which I have painted a dark plum purple and highlighted some moulding with creams to make the colour stand out. I don't have a lot of light in that area but it is a cozy place and a nice getaway from the ordinary.

There are so many ideas online if you're feeling stuck and I am also happy to help - and rmuk - please don't take neha's comment to heart - it is not disrespectful, not a little, definitely not incredibly. I am an interior designer, and I will help you however I can - we don't all take life so seriously ;)
August 3, 2014 at 7:03AM        Thanked by rmuk
rmuk
Hi craftyoldman (makes me smile just writing that). Thank you very much for taking the time to assist me in getting me off the ground with this aspect of doing up a home. Will take on board your comments and will also look online. Thanks for your offer to help. Will reach out if I need further assistance. I'm doing up a 3,500 sq ft apartment overlooking the sea in a city that's new to me. It's an exciting and both slightly daunting project to take on... more exciting though! :)
August 3, 2014 at 7:24AM     
apple_pie_order
You asked about a color theme. One easy way is to use an inspiration piece such as a colorful bowl, artwork or favorite fabric pillow. A professional artist has already designed the color schemes in these items. Pick a base color and two colors to use as accents. A trim color can be white or stained wood if present. Some designers do use a formula called "60-30-10"
http://www.wikihow.com/Pick-Colors-for-Interior-Decorating
August 3, 2014 at 7:30AM      Thanked by rmuk
rmuk
Thanks for those tips apple pie! Will also check out that link.
August 3, 2014 at 7:45AM   
craftyoldman
Blank canvas! Amazing! And by the sea? Perfection :D I know it can be daunting and frustrating - especially as the place is new to you - just remember, there are bound to be muck ups so just have fun and live with it. Often, building the home is a great base to start new memories within it.

Also, the 60/30/10 rule is a nice guideline to follow if you're feeling a bit confused. Pictures are the examples..
August 3, 2014 at 7:49AM      Thanked by rmuk
rmuk
I like the image you selected for the living room - those are some of the colours I would like to use - love the elegant and fresh look of that room. I wrote a list of words to describe the feeling and look of the home I would like to create. Another thing I'd like to do is have the home reflect it's surrounding - sunny weather, blue skies and blue seas, with beautiful boats going by. I'm thinking - colours of the sea (coral, certain shades of green, white, blue) and an element of nautical... I also love tangerine. Will also be incoporating big leafy green plants as I like to bring nature into the home too. Will most likely keep the walls white with a white cornice and a broad white skirting to add a smart elegant look. The flooring is going to be a light taupe - marble in the living room and the rest of the home wood. The wooden furniture we'll be using is a medium/dark walnut, so I'm looking to balance the dark wood with lighter colour fabrics and also other lighter materials other than wood - silver, glass, mirrors. Gold is not being used in the home. That's a little of where I'm at. Thank you again for checking in :)
August 3, 2014 at 8:19AM   
Akintunde Disu
great advice by craftyoldman and apple_pie_order the 60, 30, 10 rule Main Accent trim design is a great way to ensure your room is always balanced , and letting objects you are furnishing the room with decide your palette is like hacking design, pick a main objective like a rug or painting to serve as your inspiration , check out pinterest for inspiration remember to keep it simple .Good luck
August 8, 2014 at 11:00AM   
craftyoldman
That sounds stunning. I would like to see a picture so I could look at the walls and the flooring. I love the nautical inspired colours - in fact pottery barn (expensive where I live) has some great prints that you could use in your home or as inspiration in this exact theme (Google it...something about octopuses). I am WILD about tangerine and coral so you have already won my heart. Here are a few images I have collected for you - you can see how each room might have a different predominating colour but something that will be a recurring colour in each room.
August 10, 2014 at 6:01AM   
craftyoldman
More
August 10, 2014 at 6:02AM   
craftyoldman
Do you see how in the beginning it is quite daunting and then it becomes absolutely fun!
August 10, 2014 at 6:02AM   
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Rug question!
So I got this rug on sale and I can return it at any...
Need help with choosing a vinyl fence color
Hi, We just put in a new RV pad on the side of the...
Cambria Quartz
Has anyone experienced any problems with the Cambria...
Need help with my family room
Hi, My daughter is a dancer and we do not have a dance...