roof choice for 60's ranch
nubabi01
My husband and I are in the process of choosing a roof shingle for our ranch style home. For the last 35 years, we have had a caramel color asphalt shingle which tied in nicely with the colors in our stone facade. The 2 features which are fixed are the stone facade and the cedar exterior door (my husband made that with much effort to please me!). As there are considerable blue/gray tones in the stone, I would consider changing the palette to highlight those tones. The wood trim and stucco are due for some considerable repair and repainting. We hope to plan the scheme for roof and basic house colors in unison with one another. As a side note, we live in an older suburb outside of Philadelphia, Pa. Many of the homes surrounding us are 3 story colonials. We were a 60's add on when a double lot was split. We have enjoyed working on our garden for the last 15 years or so. The colors there are rather vibrant for months of the year. I would not mind a palette that is rather subdued (some might call it somber). Thank you for your help-
Philadelphia "Rancher"
pickyvicky
Cute house!

Any of the shingle colors you have there are good. I lean toward the darker ones, but I'm only looking at your photo.

Drive around and look at what others are using, and whether or not you like it. Is there a similar house somewhere or a house that comes together in a look that "speaks" to you?

Picking a roof color can be so exhausting.

Nice door!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 5:44AM
LineBox Studio
Simple light great with texture. Allows you to use colours for doors, frames and others
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 5:46AM
North Point ReDesign
Light grey is always a good choice. If you want contrast, go with the darker grey. Here's an example of '60's rancher with darker roof on light base colors
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 6:18AM
PPF.
+1 on darker gray.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:00AM
Decorative Philosophy
Agree with the darker grey for the roof, now get the stucco and clapboard in a shade or 2 lighter so your stone stands out and your other elements blend.
PLEASE paint your front door too, either contrasting bringing in another color of the stone that compliments the beautiful hand made door or get rid of the door and get a plainer one in wood that coordinated with the hand made door. Could be so so beautiful.
Regards,
Karen & Joseph
for Decorative Philosophy
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:10AM
pickyvicky
Like the darker grey, too.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:24AM
Color accents for a red brick 60's ranch home
My home is all red brick on the front. White garage...
lajadas3
60's ranch major remodel ideas wanted
1962 ranch with single level plus daylight basement...
Katharine Popenuk
Need help with color makeover for 60's ranch
Brick has pink undertones Roof black architectural...
julesvernes
Front Deck/Patio on 60s L shaped Rambler/Ranch
Are there an places where I can see how someone has...
Carol
Help! We bought a 60's house that's ugly in front!
Please offer opinions and advice on what we could do...
klinksk8
Dining area
Buit a mother in law suite above three care garage...
judiet123
Need Help Finalizing My Kitchen/Nook
Hi Houzz! I am moving into our new build home and...
shal1217
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
Nightmare bathrooms!
We are wanting to buy a beautiful home but all of the...
kgoughler