Can I use this in our dining room?

lcondreayAugust 3, 2014
I just bought this mirror and was hoping to use it in our dining room to replace what is already there. Do you think it's too narrow or does the height make it okay? Do you think this too heavy looking? Should I just keep what I have?Here is a pic of what we currently have (it's 50" wide and 38" tall) and this is the new one (it's 42" wide but is 71" tall). For those of you that have been following my posts, I ended up selling my chairs so am now on the hunt for something new.
It looks to have been part of a bedroom dresser at one time. Your table and light are heading in a more rustic country direction than the mirror would take you.
7 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:49AM
lcondreay
Do you think what I currently have is okay then? I want to do wallpaper but my husband is so against it.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:52AM
Decorative Philosophy
TOTALLY disagree with all due respect. We LIKE the bold earthy look of the large mirror.
The one you currently have is way too small and delicate for the space. Your room could easily handle this great mirror.
We love that high opening in your space and would like to see another angle of your room.

Perhaps if you show your husband a few wallpaper samples and remind him that a well designed room with wallpaper will last way longer than painted walls, he will re consider.
We caution against taking him to a wallpaper store and sitting him down with books. That can send the most seasoned of us designers into a slump!
Find a local designer or keep talking to us about what you like and are looking for. Perhaps we can show you some samples.
14 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:59AM
lcondreay
This is what I was thinking as far as wallpaper and these are the chairs that I really want so I'm kind of trying to decorate around them if that makes sense! Here is another pic of the room, was planning on putting the mirror on the other side as I think the other wall may be too short?
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:07AM
lcondreay
This is the room that it opens up to and this is our kitchen on the other side of the short wall. Was thinking that I could put what the tv is currently on in the DR with a piece of art above.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:21AM
pickyvicky
I love your chandelier. I like the wallpaper & chairs.

If it were me, I'd go ahead with the wallpaper & chairs. Then I'd see about hanging the mirror on the larger wall. I would even consider either painting or gilding the mirror, too. Depends upon what direction everything is taking and your personal style.
5 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:26AM
sstarr93
That mirror might be nice in silver leaf, hung in a bathroom....
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:29AM
lcondreay
Unfortunately both of them are too large for our bathrooms. :-/ I already measured.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:31AM
Natalie
Hi---excellent choices---like all, but the chairs are a bit stark---perhaps off white would be a better choice. Good Luck!
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:38AM
lcondreay
Thanks for all the help guys!! I'm so ready for this to be finished. If you have any ideas for art that would be great.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 11:43AM
I prefer paint because it is so changeable and not such a large investment that you feel guilty when you tire of it.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 1:05PM
wickedwhite
I love that mirror! I think it works really well with the table and chandelier. The chairs and wallpaper seem like a leap though. What colour are the drapes and rug? I assume they are staying. Can we see a closeup?
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 1:16PM
Mike ALLEG / @teLiers HR
you can not use this.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 1:34PM
lcondreay
Atelier HR can you provide more feedback? What would you suggest then?

As far as the rug it is a light gray with creamy white accents and the curtains are a coconut linen. I had the curtains custom and really love them so plan on keeping them. As far as the rug, I really like it too. I actually saw it in a room with the same chairs that I like and a very similar table so was trying to replicate that look.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 1:41PM
Mike ALLEG / @teLiers HR
if U really like it, you should just put a console underneath to give is shine.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:00PM
Mike ALLEG / @teLiers HR
like this...
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:02PM
lcondreay
Well I still have 30 days to return it. I love the look of it, just wasn't sure if it would work in our dining room. :) what kind of mirror would you suggest for our room?
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:19PM
abbyjean
I like your ideas a lot! I like the piece under the tv coming to the dining room and I like the new mirror. Normally I am not a fan of a mirror in a dining room by a table....you either watch yourself eat or look at the back of a head. The small one seems like a mirror and you were looking for something to put on the wall. the new one commands attention, fills the space and seems more like art than a mirror.
12 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:21PM
shal1217
The shape of that mirror looks like it needs I be set above something. As mentioned, I would probably try to find a console to put underneath (space permitting).

I also find the wallpaper not as elegant as what it seems like you're going for in the space. Would you consider something else like grass cloth or a tone on tone design instead?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:22PM
lcondreay
I actually looked at the wallpaper in a room and decided it was waaaay too busy for me - so I think maybe no wallpaper since my husband hates the idea of it - if you think the room can pull off just the paint.

Do you think the console that I have in the LR could go under it then if I put it on the larger wall? The color comparison would look similar to what I have on the mantle (attached pic). If I did this, can I still put wall art up on the opposite wall? (This is what I really like) Or Does this all look cheap? :-/
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:27PM
Mike ALLEG / @teLiers HR
like this
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:32PM
abbyjean
How does the length of the console and the mirror compare? That will help know if they fit together.

NO wallpaper....yay for the hubby on this one.

One other thought.....when I looked at the tv wall, I thought.....wonder what that art would look like in the dining room on a wall? I sometimes just like a tv to have the whole wall and not share it with a piece of art, especially a big piece of art.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:33PM
lcondreay
Console is 64" and mirror is 42" - @abbyjean
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:36PM
Decorative Philosophy
Mirrors don't need to always hang over something. Please don't bring that piece from the living room TV into the DR. It has nothing to do with the style and doesn't contrast with it enough to make it workable.
It has to go of course on the large wall.
It is always convenient to have a side board of some sort in your dining room so take it slowly. Let this room evolve if you are not on a tight time frame.

The wallpaper is not our first choice. We agree with Shal1217 about considering a grass cloth, real grass cloth or bamboo paper.
We are so sorry that M. Atelier answered you as he did. His curt reply was not very helpful at all in our opinion.
He also totally changed the look and aesthetic of your room.
We could have done this too, but that was not what you were looking for was it?
We try really hard to work with what our clients like and present to us as their favorite things. Our taste doesn't have to be yours, we just want to guide you to the best expression of your taste that's possible by showing you similar things and working with what you have.

Go with your gut and use that mirror, carefully seek out a unique neutral textured wallpaper that is rich, hang that mirror and after you do, if you think it needs color then take the next step. Surely so much easier to paint it than unpaint it.
Regards
Karen & Joseph
for Decorative Philosophy
11 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:37PM
lcondreay
I would LOVE to not have the TV on the wall but it's our only room with a tv in the house - the rest consists of bedrooms and an office! I seriously have no idea what to do with such a long wall.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:38PM
wickedwhite
Like the art choice! I also love, love your drapes and rug. I'm sure you'll get some great advice here. Your home is beautiful. Hope the mirror finds a way to work in your space. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:38PM
shal1217
As Decorative Philosophy have said, I wouldn't use the console in the living room for the dining area. I feel like it's way too casual and won't go with the look you're going for (based on your other choices).

Have you tried hanging the new mirror? I would love to see how it looks on its own. It could very well work alone but I think a console/credenza could add to the room's formality all the while adding storage and grounding the mirror a bit.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:43PM
lcondreay
I haven't hung it yet only bc it's so heavy - is it okay to hang it and then possibly return if y'all think it's awful? The more I look at it the more I love it. I really appreciate all of y'all's support and suggestions - it really has helped me. (Side note - if I do hang it on the tall wall, console underneath eventually, can I hang art on the other side or am I making the room too busy?)
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 2:53PM
shal1217
I'm no designer but I'd definitely put the mirror on the wall where your current mirror is and hang the art on the other wall.

How big is the piece you like? I personally think it would look lovely in the room and won't be overkill.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 3:01PM
lcondreay
The piece that I like is 49.5" wide and 41.5" tall - very close in size to what the white mirror that is currently there.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 3:04PM
lcondreay
I know someone suggested cream chairs rather than white - here is a chair from my kitchen (less white) and then a tall white vase to maybe help suggest what white chairs would look like. The room gets absolutely no sun.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 3:08PM
tlparks
I actually love the white/cream combo. Elegant. Use the combination. :)
5 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 3:12PM
Mary Dillon
I would bring the TV console into the DR, hang the mirror over it, and stand back and cross my eyes to sort of blur the picture and consider the shapes and sizes without details. I do believe you can get away with that mirror in the DR but it would look a lot better OVER something, and why in the world not have it reflect a nice piece of artwork on the opposite wall? I've seen mirrors in a zillion DRs and never thought they detracted, quite the reverse. The TV console looks like a size you cd use in the DR, and its storage wd be most useful & suitable. As for the style, it looks no more "rustic" than yr DR table, although the drapes look more formal than either. While it's not exactly a clash, I wonder if paler drapery rods wd make them blend better, and if you're going for more formal or more casual. The chairs cd go either way, and I think they're very nice for that reason. Also, agree that the chandelier is way cool. As for the TV console again, I wonder if something simple and white wd be more pleasing under the TV, more similar to the endtables -- or a taupe to pick up the sofas. The pic suggests a lot of gray weighted over toward one side of that family room. (A very pretty room, by the way!)

You DO need to figure what size of console, if any, you can get in the DR, and the piece you have looks a good size to start playing with, so now's the time to experiment. By the time you get the mirror and chairs in there, with the chandelier, the wallpaper may be one too many in terms of round shapes. Also, I would do my trial & error on what and where to hang on those walls BEFORE hanging any wallpaper!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 3:36PM
Natalie
Just a few more ideas---the wallpaper could be framed for the wall opposite mirror... :) I think these items are a nice transition with your adjacent great room...[houzz=
Palm Street · More Info
]
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 4:46PM
lcondreay
Love that first one! Love the console and the little stools! Would love to do something like that in my entry way. Thank you!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 5:01PM
jakefield
I love the new mirror and I think it looks great in the room. It is definitely a statement piece and I love that! As someone else stated, the white mirror is just too delicate for the space. I think you are going to have a beautiful room. The curtains look elegant and I would definitely keep them as well.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 5:56PM
lcondreay
Thanks Jakefield! I have decided that the mirror is staying! Now I just need to figure out how to put it up. :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 5:58PM
shal1217
Can't wait to see pictures!

I also like the white chairs as well, I think it'll coordinate nicely with your lovely window treatments.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 7:06PM
howellmsue
I have a super heavy mirror that we used a slide hanger to put it up with. There is a part that you attach to the back of the mirror and one that you attach to the wall, it's long and the two pieces slide together. Sorry I don't know what it is called, but it's very sturdy.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:36PM
lcondreay
I'll look into it-thank you! The mirror does have two large triangle hangers, I'm just so worried about the wall and what it can actually hold.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:40PM
lcondreay
@shal1217 - I can't wait to post pictures! It's going to take some time since I am saving for the chairs (right now can only buy 3 1/2 lol) but I think it will be well worth the wait. You all have me so excited - thank you again for your comments and suggestions.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:42PM
debrajoyca
glad you're keeping the mirror. Was just going to advise that since you love it. the woods and whites and creams will look great. Once the mirror's up you'll see if it needs a console beneath to anchor it. I'm sure you'll find the right thing, and it won't be the unit with your tv. Your home looks lovely.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:07PM
soto01
Love the mirror! Glad you're keeping it!
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 10:28AM
Sassy Green Interiors LLC
Love the mirror and the advice you received from Decorative Philosophy! Good luck!
5 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 12:37PM
Mike ALLEG / @teLiers HR
true mirrors that give style to your interior by HR
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 1:08PM
whynottryit
I'm with the majority (I think) on this one. Love, love, love your mirror - size, style and all. I too like the column idea but am concerned you may not have enough room to allow chairs to be pulled back from the table when seating guests. Normally, I too would want a mirror to have something to "hang over" but with the narrowness of your room, I think the dining table takes on that responsibility. For serving purposes, you might could put the column table to use as a buffet in front of your windows. My best advice is to keep it simple. With statement pieces such as you have in that room, less is definitely better than more. Happy decorating!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 1:28PM
handymam
Icondreay, I love the mirror! But more importantly, you love the mirror, so keep it. Don't worry what designers or pros tell you is "correct," you need to surround yourself with what you love.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 1:32PM
lcondreay
Thanks everyone! I can't wait to show you pictures of the room when it's finished!
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 1:53PM
lcondreay
Last question, should I get 6 or 8 chairs?
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 5:32PM
handymam
Can you fit 8? What did you have before?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 5:33PM
lcondreay
It would be tight but I think I can. I used to have 8 black windsor chairs (it was tight) but they all fit.
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 5:36PM
handymam
I bought 6 and I have 2 leaves. I regret not getting 8 even if I put them elsewhere when leaves are not in...
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 5:36PM
handymam
That does look tight...
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 5:37PM
handymam
How often do you entertain? Is this your dream table or your good enough until someday table?
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 5:38PM
handymam
If it were me, only 6. I wouldn't want to look at them all squished in like that.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 5:40PM
lcondreay
I love the table so I think we will be keeping it for quite a while. Here are three chairs from the kitchen (the ones I'm getting will be similar in size).
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 5:47PM
ciscomo
Commenting to follow. Was madly hitting "Like" on all the comments to keep the mirror, lol. There was another dining room thread where the homeowner purchased that abstract. In your room, I think it would be rather similar in effect to the white mirror, that is, a little meh. Your pieces are so strong and interesting.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 5:57PM
lcondreay
We don't entertain often but only because we just moved out of state and all of our family is either in Oklahoma or Canada!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 6:05PM
lcondreay
Thanks Ciscomo!!
bungalowmo
Ok...just read through a ton of this thread, but I'll openly admit...not all.

In the photo you just posted, I think 3 chairs on each side...plus 2 on the ends will be a bit tight for guests. Especially if you're in the middle. In a pinch, yes you could do it that way.

My main thing I wanted to address is the hanging of the mirror. Being 42" wide, you *should* be able to mount 2 anchors on wall studs. I'm no builder, so I have no idea how many studs there will be across that wall. You'll have to find 2 that are in a close enough proximity to where you actually want to hang the mirror. You definitely want it hanging on 2 support hooks. That will even out the weight over 2 hooks rather than have all on 1.

That is a huge piece & I cannot even imagine how much it weighs. (my guess...about 170 -200 lbs.) The last thing you want is for it to come crashing down because the mount gave out.

You'd be heartbroken! Not to mention the whole "7 years bad luck" aspect!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 6:31PM
Brandi Nash Hicks
That is my dream table
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 7:01PM
handymam
You need a French cleat to hang the mirror securely. Google it and see what it us.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 7:29PM
circa studio 8, BFA, Allied ASID, NKBA
Lovely table! the rug is nice too!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 7:42PM
lcondreay
I'll look into it - thank you!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 7:43PM
abbyjean
I just read the other day that each guest at a table should have 2 feet of space for their little area. IF there are times when you will need to seat 8 at the table, bring in two chairs from the kitchen and place one in the middle on each side to make it look planned and just get 6 of the new ones.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:05PM
lcondreay
Great! I was hoping to have to purchase only six so that makes me feel much better! Eight would be nice but I would have nowhere to put the two extras. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:14PM
Rooms About You Design Studio
I LOVE that Federal Style mirror!! You might want to try stenciling your walls instead of paper - less costly and easier to change if you don't like it or get tired of it.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 5:49AM
handymam
I just saw the pic above with your kitchen chairs. Any thoughts of leaving them in the dining room and getting new ones for the kitchen? I like how they look with your table and with that mirror!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 5:53AM
lcondreay
Thanks Handyman and Rooms about You! Unfortunately I only have four of those chairs and I can't find anymore that are like them for around the same price as what I paid.

I think my husband may have won on the wallpaper topic - I think I will hold off for now but a great idea if I decide to go that route!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 6:15AM
handymam
May I offer an unsolicited suggestion? Extend your drapes to cover the awkward small section of wall left outside the windows. If you are getting new ones, they will be full enough to close and cover window. If you are keeping these and don't close them, you could take the ones from the middle and add to the ends. Not sure if you can extend that rod, or if you would need a new one. Electrical conduit pipe is a very inexpensive way to put up a new rod.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 6:17AM
handymam
Well, since your room is eclectic, you could use the 4 on the sides and get nice host and hostess chairs for the ends. Or just get 6 new ones, lol!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 6:19AM
lcondreay
I think I will keep the curtains the way they are since we has them custom along with the rods :-/ but I actually don't mind the side of the wall. It's a great suggestion tho! There are so many things to think of when decorating - I just wish I could quit my job and go to school for interior design. :) that sounds like so much more fun!
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 6:27AM
ciscomo
Admit I had the same thought as handymam about using your four kitchen chairs and two host chairs on the end. Aren't we just full of good ideas? :)) Something like this swoop chair you show in your earlier picture?
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 6:53AM
lcondreay
I actually do have two of those chairs that I have at the end (I have them hidden away, planned on selling them) I guess I could use them until I find something? I don't love the idea of mismatched chairs for some reason - it makes me think of an episode that I saw on HGTV where the designer used all different chairs and then I swore I would never do that - buuuut if they all look similar I probably wouldn't have as hard of a time with it!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 6:58AM
Scott Homes, Inc
The mirror looks good, maybe refinish is to better match the finish of the table. Wallpaper is does last a long time, so long you and possibly the future inhabitants of the home will be stuck with it as well. Once you have wallpaper, you're stuck with it!
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 7:23AM
handymam
I disagree about wallpaper. It is put on, it can be taken off. I've had to remove at least 10 rooms of wallpaper over the years in houses we have owned. It can be challenging, but it is not impossible.
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 8:12AM
Royal Hauteness
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR MIRROR! and disagree with all previous post. Your room and wall can handle the scale of the mirror. Your instincts are great and you should go ahead with wallpaper would be a nice texture and contrast to all the wood. The style of chair you put in the room looks great but hope you pick something fun and stay away from the linen and neutrals (see pic of alternative chair options) Another option is to make your mirror the pop of color or high gloss white. You have a world of possibility in a can of spray paint. If your husband is dead set against wallpaper I would recommend you paint the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:49AM
ciscomo
I like host chairs when all the other chairs match but don't mean to nag you. :) Just a brainstorm. It's easy for me because I'm not dragging furniture.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:56AM
lcondreay
Well at this point I've got no chairs! :) hoping to hang the mirror this weekend! How high should it go from the floor?
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 7:50PM
abbyjean
I know there is a formula for height and mirrors and hoping someone that knows will chime in. You may want to try taping the general shape up or tracing it on newspaper and playing with that pattern on the wall, too. No second chances hanging this baby. For some reason, the middle should be 50 inches from the floor comes to me. Does that even sound reasonable?
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 7:58PM
lcondreay
Taping is a good idea, I did that on the opposite side for the picture i want. Not sure why I didn't think of that for the mirror! :) I never can get the height right, I always just base it off where my head is - I'm between 5'6 and 5'7 and I typically try to put my eyes in the middle - I'm sure that's wrong but hey, it's normally me looking in the mirror anyway! ;)
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 8:03PM
lcondreay
That sounded narcissistic - I meant like getting ready...
1 Like    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 8:03PM
abbyjean
LOL! It does make sense, to make sure YOU can see yourself in it and you would want your eyes in the middle, right?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 8:08PM
lcondreay
I certainly think so! But with this mirror I'm not so sure!
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 8:13PM
handymam
Wouldn't the height really depend on what you are hanging it over? And wouldn't that also factor into where in the room it will go?
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 8:16PM
lcondreay
Yeah, I don't think I will hang it over anything. I'm worried that it will make it look more like a dresser with a mirror above it if I do. I think if I do anything, I could put a buffet on the other wall, under the art?
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 8:18PM
Joanne Maurer
I think the mirror could stand alone without having a console under it. It should be hung by special brackets that are fastened on the wall and on the back of it. I have a really heavy mirror and that is what is needed. It looks like a restoration hardware one of my fav stores room. It looks great. They have a glass console with brackets that fasten to the wall they look like stone. I will see if i can find it. That probably would look fab under the mirror, The french chairs are the best look not the windsor chairs...beautiful home.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 9:00PM
Joanne Maurer
I found the pictures restoration hardware
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 9:11PM
Joanne Maurer
Something like these will support the weighty look of the mirror...just a thought
1 Like    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 9:12PM
lcondreay
Thanks Joanne! I have sold the windsor chairs so will be replacing with the French style. And I love restoration hardware as well! It's my favorite store!
    Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 4:45AM
Joanne Maurer
That table and everything in the room is gorgeous. You are on the right path. When you place something in a room and it feels like it always belonged there you know it's right. Follow your instincts. It's like clothing. You know what outfit works and what does not. That is what I base it on. The mirror can stand alone. It is big enough. If you do a buffet ...i would go with something funky like i sent. You could even buy those corbels they see them on line and have glass doctor make you a piece of glass. Instead of a vase on table you could use a topiary or two ...large ball shaped ones. And a bust or something.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 6:46AM
lcondreay
Thank you! I purchased the art that I noted earlier in the conversation so that should arrive in just over a week! I love the idea of topiaries - basically anything green! I'm hoping to purchase the chairs in the next few weeks.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 6:54AM
csevene
"the more I look at it the more I love it"
that is a direct quote you made and for that reason alone, you need to make it work as you will enjoy seeing it EVERYDAY!!!
best reason of all to incorporate it.
..... my two cents..
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 8:07AM
Joanne Maurer
Any updates on your room?
    Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 5:10AM
JENNIFER BISSETTE
The mirror you had looks like part of a dresser. It doesn"t work with the rustic table and chandelier. If you keep the white mirror you need to darken the frame. You need to use more rustic chairs and lots of pictures.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 5:20AM
lcondreay
Just got back into town from being away for a month - our picture arrived and just hung the mirror and now I am unsure of it - as gigantic as it is, I feel likes it looks miniature on the wall. Unless, I put something under it and lamps on either side? (I also hung it too low but that can be fixed).
    Bookmark   September 21, 2014 at 11:26AM
lcondreay
I think I fixed it. I grabbed things from other parts of the house. There will be six chairs but again they are still on order. Better?
10 Likes    Bookmark   September 21, 2014 at 12:17PM
abbyjean
Oh! You did it! You are ready to entertain! I always love it when people can run through their home and find things that work. My kind of shopping!
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 21, 2014 at 1:45PM
lcondreay
Thank you! I had a panic attack until I tried it out with chairs and the console table! :) I guess now I need to find something to go under the picture.
    Bookmark   September 21, 2014 at 2:06PM
abbyjean
Your table piece could work under the pic, but then you would be searching for something to put there.
    Bookmark   September 21, 2014 at 2:11PM
lcondreay
Yeah, I think I want something a bit longer and solid to hide the ugly black lamp cords. I'm glad you approve!
    Bookmark   September 21, 2014 at 2:14PM
mcbmd3
I have read the entire thread. Love the mirror and chairs. The mirror is hung much too low. Keep at it; your instincts are excellent.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 21, 2014 at 4:25PM
soto01
Looks GORGEOUS!!! You have done an excellent job! I think you have a decorator's instincts...
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 3:43AM
whynottryit
Stylistically, I think your mirror is right where it needs to be. My only concern would be chairs backing into it but I would hope your guests would be aware enough not to let that happen. I love what you've done. Elegant, simple and welcoming. Great job!
    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 7:21AM
lcondreay
Thanks guys! I can't wait for it to finally be done. :)
    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 7:40AM
zazfuzzroc
Hi Icondreay, I think your right, the mirror should go higher. Also, just a thought, and I'm not a designer :) , but I think your wallpaper would look pretty cool on just the wall where your window is. I like your room a lot. Your whole place is nice. Love the signs over your kitchen cabinets. And also the pieces over your fireplace. Elegant and edgy at the same time. I would move in today. Very cool! Good luck! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 8:14AM
shal1217
Looks great with the console under the picture - good idea!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 8:25AM
Beth Gilliam
Room looks great, mirror needs to be a bit higher though... at least level with the table on the other side of the room. I love your style and think you have done a wonderful job! :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 9:04AM
halfpint2
You can do so much with that large mirror. I'd cut off the decorative edges and the finial on top, sand it down, and paint it, bring some color into the room. I love your table!!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 9:14AM
lcondreay
Thank you! I'll post a pic when my chairs arrive - it should be done by then!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 5:09PM
Joanne Maurer
the room is so pretty. A suggestion would be....place the console on the other side with the mirror above it. raise the mirror. Leave the picture where it is alone on the short wall. Switch the vase with the flowers on the other side or eliminate it. Maybe use buffet lamps or the lamps you have that are in the living area. Maybe no lamps just some alternating height candle sticks. Just a thought. Or perhaps would it work to flip your table around width wise and offsetting the mirror and console so every thing is not in the middle of the room...
1 Like    Bookmark   October 10, 2014 at 8:46PM
Joanne Maurer
Every piece in your room is beautiful by the way
1 Like    Bookmark   October 10, 2014 at 8:47PM
zazfuzzroc
@Icondreay, have your chairs arrived? Love your home and can't wait to see pictures of the finished room. :)
    Bookmark   October 17, 2014 at 12:07PM
lcondreay
Thank you!! Chairs were delayed another week - they are scheduled for next Friday now. Good news it's my birthday - so it will be fun to come home to that surprise!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 17, 2014 at 12:11PM
zazfuzzroc
Yes Icondreay, I love gifts too! Especially when you know you're gonna love them. LOL :) You'll be busy, but please post pictures. :) And also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! :D
    Bookmark   October 17, 2014 at 1:34PM
lcondreay
Thank you! I will definitely make sure to post pics!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 19, 2014 at 6:03AM
zazfuzzroc
I'm so sad, I was excited to see your room and wish you a Happy Birthday and then realized it was Thursday. How disappointing. Well, I'll be checking back in the near future. Good luck! :)
    Bookmark   October 23, 2014 at 11:30AM
zazfuzzroc
Happy Birthday! :)
    Bookmark   October 24, 2014 at 11:33AM
lcondreay
Thank you! Bad news, they had our address down wrong and didn't deliver the chairs so now it won't be until next week.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 24, 2014 at 11:48AM
zazfuzzroc
Oh no! Well, have a great day anyway. ;) That stinks, have your man take you out for a nice meal! Tell him I said so. LOL ;)
    Bookmark   October 24, 2014 at 11:54AM
zazfuzzroc
Hopefully chairs are in your future. Hope your B day went well. :) Can't wait to see. :)
    Bookmark   October 30, 2014 at 8:52AM
zazfuzzroc
TRICK OR TREAT!!!! WHERE'S THE CHAIRS AND THE CANDY? :D
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 31, 2014 at 7:49AM
lcondreay
They still haven't arrived. :-/ my husband is patiently waiting at home for them.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 31, 2014 at 8:45AM
zazfuzzroc
Hope they arrive soon. :)
    Bookmark   October 31, 2014 at 8:48AM
lcondreay
Here you go!! I'm in love! Now I just have to convince my husband to let me move the chest in there so that I can finish it off. Sadly that will have to wait today due to football games. :)
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 7:29AM
lcondreay
While waiting for the chairs to arrive, I at least finished my entry way!
8 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 7:33AM
soto01
Congrats! Your room is GORGEOUS!!!!! Can't wait to see the chest in there....
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 7:41AM
Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
Love it ..
Fabulous .....chairs tooooo die for along with the chandelier

Oh dear men and FOOTBALL ...
1 Like    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 7:42AM
lcondreay
Thanks guys!
    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 7:44AM
Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
Your welcome ....
If anyone's says different ..
Off with their heads ..
    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 7:49AM
lcondreay
@vintage jazz Thanks for the support!
    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 8:02AM
abbyjean
Your home looks like a show room! Truly! That foyer.....wow! And the chairs were totally worth waiting for.

Hmmm....maybe offer a little half time special snack in exchange for moving the chest in there. Then you can play, getting it finished, while he watches the games. My hubby just left to go hunting and asked what I had planned for today.....I know I will find something to play with around here in one room or another now that it is November.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 8:09AM
ciscomo
Wow, the chairs ( and all the rest) look fabulous, as expected. :)) I just love this dining room, lcondreay!

Scrolled up but obviously I have missed something and am confused about the chest? I hope someone can straighten me out, at least on this, LOL.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 8:47AM
zazfuzzroc
Hi Icondreay, The chairs I've been anxiously awaiting finally came. The room looks great. I like the bowl in the middle of the table. The shape is nice. Is it wood? Regardless it came together well. Enjoy staring at it. I would. :) You have a cool home. Think I've said that before. Signs above the cabinets, love those too. Your home looks very beautiful. Enjoy it and good luck. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 8:48AM
lcondreay
Thank you again everyone! The chest that I have will be moved under the picture (will replace the glass and maybe add mirrors?) (I measured and there is no way that the mirror would be able to go above it) so opposite wall it goes.

The bowl is made of wood. Found it at target a while back. Was thinking about putting some fake moss in it - to add some greenery - or would that look weird?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 9:31AM
zazfuzzroc
I thought I saw that at Target, I love the wood bowls they have. I think adding moss would add a nice touch of green. Great idea! :) Was the chest from another part of the house?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 9:42AM
wickedwhite
Stunning! Those chairs finish the room off beautifully. Love your art choice too. Nice job.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 1:17PM
whynottryit
@ Vintage Jazz -- Keeping my head on me 'cause I love it! @ icondreay -- Great, great job! Just one observation regarding the moss: Thanksgiving is this month (or fall decorating if you aren't in the US), then Christmas. I imagine you'll be decorating a bit for both. You might want to consider waiting for the first of the year before you worry about what to do with the bowl since your tablescapes may be taking its place before too long. I go crazy this time of year with holiday decorating so I just figure everyone else does too! :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 1:45PM
lcondreay
Yes, chest currently has the TV on it. Hoping to get to move it tomorrow, after the games. We will see how that turns out for me.

Great point about the table scape! I've already started buying Christmas decorations...it's my favorite holiday and I get to use a ton of white (another one of my faves)!
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 1:53PM
whynottryit
Since you mentioned buying Christmas decorations, I scored big time this weekend. I had my eye on a beautiful mercury glass garland at Pottery Barn but it was a bit pricey for me at $39.50. I went to Home Goods and lucked up on two of the same garlands at $13 each! Yes, yes, yes! Of course I bought them both! Love those kinds of deals. Sorry for the interruption, now back to your regularly scheduled dilemma!
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 2:06PM
tlparks
Oh, my, I just love you dining room!!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 2:30PM
lcondreay
I was planning on going to Home Goods tonight! Now I'm really excited!! I'd love to see pics.
    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 3:17PM
whynottryit
Here's the picture from Pottery Barn. I also am using these goblet candle holders and three of the mercury glass trees from Gilt.com (great buys on these as well!). I'm going to use two dark plum throws for my "tablecloth" with plum napkins. My dishes are Moonspun by Lenox and all the decorations will be mercury glass, silver and gold (with Christmas greenery, of course) except for the plum "linens". I'm getting so excited I can't focus on Thanksgiving!
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 3:25PM
lcondreay
That's gorgeous! It will be absolutely beautiful. I love Mercury glass!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 3:27PM
whynottryit
I know right?!? I hope you have great luck at Home Goods!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 3:27PM
Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
I think this mirror you have would be best in the entry hall...and if you use it in the dining room....it may make the room feel smaller...
    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 3:33PM
Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
Mirror is up .... Don't move a thing ...
Room looks fab ..
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 7:08PM
whynottryit
Totally agree Vintage Jazz. Do wish peeps would read before posting.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 7:14PM
Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
So true ..the dilemma isn't
even three months old yet ..lol
That's not much tooooooooo
Read ......
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 7:21PM
lcondreay
TV is on the floor for now but moved the cabinet to make sure I would like it. (Sorry for the xmas decor - just trying out my new stuff!)
10 Likes    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 3:47PM
zazfuzzroc
Wow!!!! I'm in love, can I come pick it all up??? :D LOL That my friend is perfection. I'm saving it to my personal library for inspiration, if you don't mind???? Please? :)
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 3:53PM
lcondreay
Thank you! And you may absolutely save it!

I think I like the cabinet much better over in the dining room rather than in the living room (I think it's too small for our TV - husband disagrees). It doesn't look too squished does it?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 3:56PM
tlparks
Stunning!
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 4:04PM
zazfuzzroc
Not at all. Honestly, I really do like your whole home.... and that's rare for me. Even on here I pick different things from each room. Not your home, I like everything. Don't worry, I'm not an internet weirdo coming to rob you. LOL :) I must speak up when something is good. Its good... so soft and inviting. Very much inspirational to me. Thanks for letting me save the pictures. I guess the birthday gift turned out well. :) I love the Christmas décor. :) My best friend always says ask the guy and then do the opposite, so I think you're good. Please.... don't tell him I said that. LOL :) Good luck, enjoy it!!!
    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 4:07PM
lcondreay
Haha! Well thank you, I really mean it! I second guess myself a lot so it's nice to have some support. We don't know anyone or have family here so I can't ask a friend to come over and give me their opinion! Having Houzz helps a lot!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 4:10PM
zazfuzzroc
Well, you're doing pretty good for no support. You can consider us family. The plus is, we won't make a mess of your houzz. lol :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 4:15PM
whynottryit
Looks great! Love the cabinet... I would do a test "sit down" and see if you are going to have to worry about chairs being banged into it but other than that, doesn't look squished to me. Don't apologize for the decorations, I love seeing them.

Last time I posted you were heading to Home Goods. Did you find lots of goodies? I just got back from another run there today and did find a few more things. Looks like it's going to be a go-to spot for Christmas this year.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 4:37PM
lcondreay
It's a little snug but I feel like it's doable. :) I have found a ton of things at both HomeGoods and Target! I'm on a bit of a break from shopping now though...I got quite a bit carried away last week. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 4:45PM
whynottryit
lol...I know the feeling! I've been going crazy for Christmas this year. I'm so glad you got your dining room done. I know you'll have wonderful moments in there for a long time to come. Great job!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 4:52PM
ciscomo
The chest looks lovely in here! You can convey our thanks to your husband for moving it. :) I love the way you styled it. Enjoy your drop dead gorgeous dining room!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 5:25PM
tabelle70
Where is the art from, if you don't mind me asking.... The room looks very nice!
    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 7:33PM
lcondreay
I found the art at Horchow! They have a few other pieces that I have my eye on as well.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 7:44PM
Nikole Starr
Love it all. Great job!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 8:08PM
Nikole Starr
Could you just give us a house tour please?? Everything is stunning
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 8:25PM
Nikole Starr
What color are your walls btw?
    Bookmark   November 8, 2014 at 10:08PM
ttsrmorgan
Can you tell me where you got your trestle table? I am looking for one for my new house! I love it!!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 9, 2014 at 8:43AM
lcondreay
Walls are white but I'm not sure what shade...it's the color that the builder chose. I will post more pics of the house as soon as I finish off some more rooms. Next on the list is finishing the living room. :)

I actually purchased the table off Craigslist! Steal I know! But I believe it was originally from World Market if that helps!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 9, 2014 at 3:10PM
ttsrmorgan
Well that's great to know. I actually look on Craigslist all the time. thank a bunch!
    Bookmark   November 12, 2014 at 1:35PM
Dawson & Clinton
I like the new mirror. It might not be a perfect fit for you though. Let us know more as the project comes along.
    Bookmark   November 12, 2014 at 1:43PM
Beverly Anderson Interior Design
I like the new tall mirror, great shape, how about painting it white or black?
    Bookmark   November 12, 2014 at 1:46PM
Joanne Maurer
The dining room looks fabulous and I actually think it looks bigger with the chest.... and I love your entry way. where did you get the bottles and the antler?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 12, 2014 at 8:46PM
lcondreay
Thank you! I think I'll keep the mirror as is, especially now that it's hung.

As far as the ginger jars, they were purchased off One Kings Lane and my mother in law gave me the antler. She collects real antlers and said that I could have that one. :)
    Bookmark   November 13, 2014 at 4:57AM
abbyjean
Antlers are my new found treasure this fall, too! And the good thing? FREE! Hubby went right out to the back garage and brought me in a few to use. He was so surprised, so I showed him a few pics I was using as my inspiration.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 13, 2014 at 5:53AM
lcondreay
I bet you made his day!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 13, 2014 at 9:54AM
Joanne Maurer
Thank you so much. Your home is beautiful... I love the dining room and the entry
1 Like    Bookmark   November 13, 2014 at 2:30PM
zazfuzzroc
Hi Icondreay, Hope you have a great Christmas and new year. I bet your decorations look great. :)
    Bookmark   December 19, 2014 at 10:55AM
Searching for the perfect ceiling light for our dining room
I’m getting tired of using a clumsy brass standing...
goodpressgirl
Help me bring our dining room to life!
We recently started working on our dining room and...
Laura
Is our carpet the right size for our dining room?
We just purchased a carpet that goes perfectly in our...
mitchellstein11
Where can I find a good quality 8ft round jute rug for our dining room
Where can I purchase a good quality 8ft round jute...
6464brittlynn
Living Room Design help needed!!
Now that our kitchen remodel is almost done, we'd like...
mamadubbs
Tiles? Change or not to Change?
Hi, I am redesigning my home and would like to modernise...
Jacqueline Cassar
Bona Traffic finishes questions for people that have used it
We will be installing site-finished white oak floors...
monicamac
Need help with patio transition to lawn - no more mud border!
My concrete patio ends with a line of "bricklike" pavers...
dandelionwishes
Need help choosing grout color please...
I was thinking all along to go with a natural gray...
bronica1
Sponsored Products
Diamond Sofa Zen Accent Floor Mirror Wrapped in Black Croc
Beyond Stores
Green Apple Absorbent Pet Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Melbourne Set of Two Dining Outdoor Outdoor Side Chairs, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Casper Ghost Bar Stool in Smoke
$125.00 | LexMod
Eucalyptus Mikonos Barstool
Overstock.com
Threaded Cocoa 120 to 170-Inch Curtain Rod
$68.95 | Bellacor
Accent Rug: Carrara Red 2' x 3'
Home Depot
Two Additional Standard 200TC Pillowcases
$43.90 | Horchow