Need help living room/ dining space
Jessica McEwen Kaloutas
We have been living in our house for about two years. It's an adorable Oceanside 1920's cottage. Most of the furniture we used was from our old apartment. We added the rug, trunk and pillows. It still feels like it needs more. At times, I feel like its a bit dark and could be more of an airy feel. We are hoping to get a new sofa soon as this one is getting a bit old but would like to stay with the sectional since this is our only living room space. We thought about changing the paint color to something lighter and airy. Any thoughts?? Much thanks!
S&A Decor
1) roman blinds
2) fire place is too boring, u need sine big print or big mirror
3) coffee table is too massive
   August 3, 2014 at 6:39PM
patriciarhall
Having the large sectional closer in color to the walls makes the space seem better shared. Adding a bit of pattern in accessories and other upholstry adds dimension
   Thanked by Jessica McEwen Kaloutas    August 3, 2014 at 6:43PM
Maureen
I love a slipcovered couch in white and I would slip cover the brown leather chair as well and remove ottoman, as it's too crowded. Add more pillows in blue and paint a very light creamy yellow. You need a larger rug and I would stay with sisal or hemp. Bamboo roman shades will warm up the room. Wondering if two botantical prints in brown frames on either side of the window would work. Over fireplace I would add a reclaimed wood mirror and remove all the small items. Maybe the present piece could work on the dining room wall. On your dining table, an antique bread dough bowl would look great. [houzz=Mandeville House]; [houzz=Eclectic Living Room];houzz=Rustic Mirror 20x34 Mirror with Beveled Barn Wood Frame]; [houzz=NW 13th Avenue Loft]
   Thanked by Jessica McEwen Kaloutas    August 3, 2014 at 7:04PM
tlparks
I would like to see more of the space, but from what I see I might be tempted to lean towards a beachy cottage look. The dining table is dark and visually heavy looking. Would you be interested in changing that out for a visually lighter-feeling look? Maybe painting the walls a pale and soft blue, and lean towards blues, greens, turquoise, tans, whites.
3 Likes   August 3, 2014 at 7:07PM
Jessica McEwen Kaloutas
Thanks, everyone. This is all so helpful. Maureen, I too love the white slip cover look but we have a dog and lots of black mulch in our yard :( the sofa we have now is washable which is a major perk. I like the idea of matching the walls to the wall color and an accent chair, also the mirror for the fireplace and bread bowl. The thing with the windows is the ones against the back wall are connecting to a 3 season room, so we left them all without shades.
1 Like   August 3, 2014 at 7:15PM
Very cute house. I agree you should repaint. A light neutral will open up the space. The natural rug is also a good choice, but it's a wee bit small. If you're not ready to replace it, pull it out a bit, even if it allows the floor to show between the rug and couch. (We're breaking a rule here, but I hear that's what rules are made for.)

I would look for a coffee table with less visual weight, and pull the chair around to face the sofa with its back to the dining area.

The sconces over the fireplace are very harsh. Try smaller bulbs; they should provide ambiance, but not light the whole room. Consider whitewashing the brick. And I would replace the sign/word art with an actual painting that brings some color to the space.
2 Likes   Thanked by Jessica McEwen Kaloutas    August 3, 2014 at 7:15PM
Jessica McEwen Kaloutas
TLparks, I'm feeling the same way about the beachy cottage look too.. Not sure if a new dining table is in the budget. But open to suggestions. Here's another image, Does this help. The room is 12x24
   August 3, 2014 at 7:20PM
patriciarhall
Your priorities for furnishings is #1! You said you were considering replacing a "worn" sectional so stick with your choices. The dark chair beside the current sofa is not complimentary. Your dining table can be lightened up with accessories.
   August 3, 2014 at 7:23PM
abbyjean
The only thing that sticks out for me is the chair and ottoman are not a part of the room....the ottoman is half on the rug and the chair is just sitting out there. If you can find a way to include it....moving it so it has room.......I like what see in your space.
   August 3, 2014 at 7:27PM
Jessica McEwen Kaloutas
And another pic.. The paint we have now is Barnacle from c2 and the 3 season room is Silver Screen from c2 which is a more of the beachy feel.
   August 3, 2014 at 7:28PM
abbyjean
When you are ready to replace the furniture, I suggest a couch and one more chair. I think the room will feel huge without the sectional.
1 Like   Thanked by Jessica McEwen Kaloutas    August 3, 2014 at 7:30PM
tlparks
Maybe you could find another place to put coffee table (it, too, looks like it takes up a lot of visual space). How about something with glass top (noguchi)?
   August 3, 2014 at 7:33PM
abbyjean
Yes, either the ottoman or the coffee table need to find another room. The ottoman might work for the coffee table???? I hate to even agree with that suggestion as I know you just bought the trunk.
   August 3, 2014 at 7:36PM
patriciarhall
Your new photo reveals a very pleasant and appealing space. The ceiling treatment and fireplace need a bit of marrying together to make it even more appealing, so posters who have suggested whitewashing the brick fireplace are right on. Again, the dining area just needs come accessorizing because the little tray on the table is dwarfed.
   Thanked by Jessica McEwen Kaloutas    August 3, 2014 at 7:38PM
mpoulsom
What about painting the brick, white, on the fireplace and painting the walls a pale blue? this color is kind of pretty and would brighten things up! :)

]
2 Likes   Thanked by Jessica McEwen Kaloutas    August 3, 2014 at 7:40PM
SPARC Design
Perhaps you could light up the room with a unique neon creation? Options are endless when it comes to neon, with so many fonts, colours, sizes, and finishes. SPARC Design can create your very own unique neon design that will create beautiful ambience lighting.

Good luck!

SPARC Design
   August 3, 2014 at 7:47PM
anne dee
this might be an interesting colour way for the walls, doors and windows.
A very nice contrast to add detail to your somewhat small space.

Thanked by Jessica McEwen Kaloutas    August 3, 2014 at 7:51PM
libratravel
I love it but I understand your concerns.. Once the sectional is out of that corner, you will have room for amazing lighting in that corner. Seems to be a problem you can't solve with the placement of that sectional. Any $$$ in the budget for recessed lighting on dimmers?
   Thanked by Jessica McEwen Kaloutas    August 3, 2014 at 8:40PM
Jessica McEwen Kaloutas
Thank you for all your advice..We are now strongly considering getting rid of the sectional . Getting a sofa in front of the single window and two chairs plus the larger rug. Libratravel, my husband has been trying to convince me in the recessed lighting with dimmers. Not sure if it's in the budget.
   August 3, 2014 at 9:08PM
Jessica McEwen Kaloutas
Oops. And paint a very light gray blue.
1 Like   August 3, 2014 at 9:09PM
Mary Stinson Butt
How beachy do you want to go? You can pick up luan plywood real cheap, router grooves, white wash it and you have instant beach weathered paneling. make your paint colors from the the colored houses in Carribean. Not pastel, juicy lime, mango, green of the shallow sea. I would put in two couches to face each other with bright painted wood folding chairs on wall. Of to up cycle sites for really outside the rectangular box.
   August 3, 2014 at 10:05PM
Hollie McLean
Beliani.com has some nice leather club chairs with a modern take on the Chesterfield design. http://www.beliani.com/leather-sofas/club-chairs/.
   August 3, 2014 at 10:10PM
The Classy Home
to male living room lighter and airy avoid pillows from sofa. choose contemporary style sectional. use glass top table for coffee table. you can also use chaise or loveseat for seating. see living room ideas http://www.theclassyhome.com/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=397&Furniture=Stationary+Living+room+Sets
   August 4, 2014 at 3:12AM
ciscomo
Hi Jessica, I am attaching a houzz tour because it contains some lovely beach paint suggestions in a variety of colors, and gives the names! I love the sofa you show and would encourage a tan or sand color wall if you choose that color fabric. Pick your paint AFTER your furniture choices. If you enter "beach house" in ideabooks, you will get more photos to peruse. Your room is beautiful!

Totally agree, moving the chair and ottoman out would be a good thing.

Thanked by Jessica McEwen Kaloutas    August 4, 2014 at 4:24AM
Need help for living room and dining room space
I am completely open to any and all suggestions. I...
need help with living room and dining room space
I have a room that is going to be split between a space...
Desperately need layout help for small space: living room/dining room
Need some ideas on how to layout the dining area and...
Living room kitchen combo arrangement
I posted a few days ago for accessory help and was...
What granite edge should I select?
I am laying out my granite template on the slab tomorrow...
Help! Wood floor varnish disaster
My husband and I decided to sand the floors and revarnish....
need help with exterior
Please help me with ideas to re do the exterior of...