Need help please.....color of tile flooring in family room

Teresa SchileAugust 4, 2014
We have selected tile flooring to replace our light plum rug. Our house has terra cotta and yellow fresco walls which we don't plan on changing. We chose Centura Stark Series tiles in either light or medium grey as it has a subtle feel of hardwood imprint which I love. We're in the measuring stage and I'm torn between the two colors. Should I go light or darker grey....or am I making a mistake to select grey which is a complete departure from the warm colors of the room? Any advise you can provide will really help....thanks! Teresa
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Teresa Schile
Btw...Tthe fireplace will also be replaced and we are looking for cultured stone in a dark grey/black to replace the marble.
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 12:40PM
PRO
Shotgun Double, LLC
HI Teresa! i would recommend the lighter color, since your fireplace stone and wall color are such deep, rich tones. The lighter color will give you some much needed contrast and offer a beautiful neutral ground for any other colors you may want to introduce to the room with your furnishings. I hope this is helpful!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Teresa Schile    August 4, 2014 at 1:03PM
Teresa Schile
Hi Shotgun Double.....thank you so much for your advice. I'm feeling more comfortable with our decision and your recommendation....much appreciated! Teresa
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:39PM
project_time
I like the light gray floor.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Teresa Schile    August 4, 2014 at 8:45PM
Teresa Schile
I just thought of something and hope you don't mind me asking another question. We currently have oak trim and baseboards and are thinking of using the same tile as baseboards. Is it appropriate in family rooms as typically I only see tile baseboards in bathrooms? Thanks again! t
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:45PM
PRO
Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
I prefer the look the lighter grey will give you. The furniture will pop out a bit and the light color looks nice with your wall finish. I like the idea of the fireplace in the cultured stone-grey stones. One you might consider is Echo Ridge. It has tones and shades of grey along with a warm beige color that would compliment your wall finish and help pull together all 3 elements; floor, walls, and fireplace. Best of luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Teresa Schile    August 4, 2014 at 8:54PM
project_time
If you mean that the light gray flooring would match the baseboards... Yes.
    Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:55PM
Teresa Schile
Thanks so much for the feedback...light grey tile it is and I'll certainly take a look at Echo Ridge...looks great from the photos! :)
Sorry...I didn't clarify my question regarding the oak/tile baseboards. I was thinking of removing the dated oak baseboards and use the light grey tile as baseboards cut at about 3 inches in height. I don't often see the same cut tile used as baseboards in photos, with the exception of bathrooms. Your thoughts?
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 7:31AM