Need Help on Kitchen Cabinet Color
Diane
Just installed white washed oak floors throughout my house, including kitchen, which is open to the family room (see pics). My furniture is dark and it works - I like the contrast. But now I am stuck with 10yr old honey oak cabinets in kitchen, and black appliances. I painted the island to test color, but think that all gray cabinets would look too industrial. Would you stain them wood? what color? would you paint off white? Help!!!
jennyrf
what about off white for your cabinets and a dark stain or the gray you already have on the island?

Spaces
1 Like    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 1:50PM
Mr. Cabinet Care
I really like the stain for the island. I agree with jennyrf! Two-tone kitchens are hot today in kitchen design. Before you do though, you might want to check out our blog post "Two Tone Kitchen Tips: What NOT to Do" http://www.mrcabinetcare.com/two-tone-kitchen-design-ideas.html
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 1:52PM
jennyrf
sorry, the images didn't attach, here they are:
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 1:52PM
Diane
jenny - thank you - I like the island idea in all gray - I was looking at SW Revere Pewter to paint the cabinets but I really like wood stain instead of painted cabinets. SW has a gray stain I'm considering but again, too much gray?
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 2:01PM
jennyrf
If you like gray, I don't think it will be too much, here's an example of a greyish brown painted cabinet(1st pic). I don't find it too overbearing at all. Your countertop adds a good contrast. are you keeping your backsplash?
The second picture is in a bathroom, but it shows that a light floor and grey cabinets looks good together.
the third is of a nice stained grey kitchen.

I'm no expert when it comes to staining, so you may wanna test out the stain on your cabinets to see how the color turns out before doing all your cabinets, or ask an expert. different wood stains differently.
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 2:21PM
Diane
jenny - love these gray colors, especially the first two - any idea what they are? as for stain, I would order new doors and reface.
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 2:50PM
jennyrf
according to comments on the original picture, the first picture has cabinets painted in Ben Moore's 'Thunder'. Its kinda close to the revere pewter. Ill see if I can find more on the other picture.
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 2:55PM
jennyrf
and according to comments, the second picture (bathroom vanity) is Benjamin Moore Vapor Trails 1556 with a glaze over it. so both are paint, which could be done on your existing cabinets if you want to keep them.
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 2:59PM
Dawson & Clinton
As long as you keep enough white in the room to keep it from getting too dark, I think the grey is a great choice.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Diane    August 5, 2014 at 3:01PM
jennyrf
I agree with Dawson & Clinton, keep your walls lighter to keep it light and airy
    Bookmark   Thanked by Diane    August 5, 2014 at 3:29PM
Diane
thanks to all - I'm going to test out revere pewter on foamboard to see how it looks - I'll post back on progress
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 4:21PM
Need help choosing kitchen cabinet color
My brother has asked me to help him restain his kitchen...
jadi
"need help choosing kitchen cabinet color"
Will beige cabinets get dirtier more easily with children...
ashap88
ASAP- need help on kitchen cabinet colors
We are having our oak and kitchen cabinets painted...
cminarovic
need help with kitchen cabinet color......PLEASE HELP
Just bought this house and the kitchen was updated...
presley01
Need help for kitchen cabinet color
I need to get a color to replace the black cabinetry....
mariepaulekirkwood
Need help please
Need help please if possible to paint the stone fireplace...
Lua Cayabyab
I NEED an interior designer
I bought a home that was built in 1920, we are renovating...
jacenda313
Bathroom Delemma!
We have recently bought a house that needs major updating....
kelrloud
wood floor at a 45 degree angle
What is your thoughts on a wood floor at 45 degree...
bodie340
HELP!!! I need advice on my patio!!
First I have to say that I have a two year old, so...
ashchilds