Help! - Orangey Exposed Beams and Woodwork
iveehill
We are in the process of purchasing a new home, and the style is something we are not used to. It was built in 1983 and feels like it is stuck in a time capsule. I would like to find a way to modernize the space and make it feel comfortable. I absolutely hate the orangey wood work and the fire place is in definite need of a makeover! The tile on the fireplace wraps around the wall and into a "mudroom" as well as covers the entire kitchen floor. Does anyone have any ideas? We will be starting with a blank slate! (The furniture is not ours - these are the listing photos). Thank you!!!
Mandy Feagan
I would paint the beams out either dark so they are a feature in the room or paint them white so they disappear. If I were purchasing it, they would be white.

For the fireplace, you can use a product like Airstone to reface it. You don't need any special tools to cut it. Regular household saws will work. You buy their adhesive. Check out their website and you can see how people have refaced their old, ugly fireplaces with it. I know you can purchase it at Lowes.

Good luck!!!
August 6, 2014 at 8:41AM        Thanked by iveehill
hayleydaniels
Get some color on the walls and the orangish color of the beams won't be so prominent. Grayish and olive greens and grayish blues look very nice with that tone of woodwork. Here are a few colors that would look good: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/rosemarysprig
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/mountainlane
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/polarisblue
August 6, 2014 at 8:43AM        Thanked by iveehill
iveehill
This is the back side of the fireplace in the "mud room." As you can see, the tile continues!
August 6, 2014 at 8:46AM     
Mandy Feagan
Oh gosh! hahaha! They really liked tile!!! That's awesome!
August 6, 2014 at 8:51AM     
iveehill
Haha, I'm not sure if awesome is the right word for it :) But at least I'll be able to keep it clean...we have four dogs and they love mud!
August 6, 2014 at 8:54AM   
GO2Design Studio
Get rid of the carpet....add wood flooring. I agree with previous comments, either paint the beams a darker color or white! Reface the fireplace...replace the tiles with a more contemporary rectangular shape tile. Otherwise, it s a great looking space!
August 6, 2014 at 9:00AM      Thanked by iveehill
Laqfoil Ltd.
One simple way to cover any ceiling you don't like is with stretch ceiling. You can choose to leave the ceiling high and angled, or you can lower and/or level it. You can change the shape in other ways, choose from over 280 colours, or have the material printed with any high resolution image. It also comes in translucent and iridescent sparkle finishes. Please check out our website for more images and information! http://www.laqfoil.com/
August 6, 2014 at 9:05AM   
Andrena Felger / In House Design Co.
If you are looking for a budget-freindly remodel, white paint will be your best friend. It will help you to easily update the feeling of the space. I would begin by painting the beams and other wood trim white (such as the window frames and doors). Remove the tile that is on the upper half of the fireplace and wrapping around the wall. This is throwing the entire space off. It looks like the lower brick and mantle are what was originally there. Paint the wood, brick and brass white. If you want to take it a step further, you could replace those items with a material you prefer - a nice stone in grey tones would look great. Finally, replace the carpet with wood or other hard surface flooring and your space will be transformed.
August 6, 2014 at 9:29AM      Thanked by iveehill
Help! Exposed Brick & Black Beams!
How would one go about designing around exposed brick...
Exposed Beams in New Kitchen! HELP!
Having trouble with laying out some exposed beams in...
Need help for exposed beams
We are building a new home and will have 18 inch exposed...
SOS...EXPOSED BEAMS HELP NEEDED!
My husband and I are purchasing this home. I can't...
need help in selecting paint on ceilings with exposed beams
I have a dinning room that has 18' clipped ceilings...
need help with backsplash
bought white cabinets w grey glaze, using cambria torquey...
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
Color palette ideas for living room
We recently painted our living room accent wall with...
What kind of countertop is this in m/bath
What is the material on this countertop?
Please help with master bedroom on a BUDGET!
I posted na week or so ago but think in my post was...