KItchen remodel - color combinations??
Doc Alesis
Older kitchen cabinets in a smaller kitchen already repainted once. Now I need to replace the cabinets and countertop. I have options but can't determine color. Looking for suggestions. No white, please, and I'm on a budget (under $10K)
Patricia Colwell
What is your style, are you gutting this space?
0 Likes   Thanked by Doc Alesis    August 6, 2014 at 9:31AM
Doc Alesis
staying with layout, peninsula counter; replacing appliances + overhead microwave/exhaust above the range.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 12:05PM
allgranite
you might find some design ideas in these videos.

0 Likes   Thanked by Doc Alesis    August 7, 2014 at 12:12PM
Brandon O'Hanlon
Your kitchen seems a little dark/small. I would recommend lighter cabinets like a natural maple, no darker than a toffee on maple. A black granite countertop looks real nice with a toffee stain. Accent with some oil rubbed bronze hardware. Keeping it under 10K is going to be tricky even if you are doing the work yourself. A cheap appliance suite is going to run between $2-$3k.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 12:22PM
Doc Alesis
It's dark because of the iPhone exposure with an overhead light in the evening. Otherwise, it's bland: off-white walls with a cream painted over the cabinetry (there when I I moved in). Small- yes. sorry, but that's what I indicated in my post. In any case, I appreciate your comments.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 12:31PM
Maybe try a new paint color?? blue?;)

0 Likes   Thanked by Doc Alesis    August 7, 2014 at 12:32PM
I like this BM Misted Fern Green;)

0 Likes   Thanked by Doc Alesis    August 7, 2014 at 12:34PM
Thos. Baker
Since you have a small kitchen, it's best to stay with a light color. You don't have to go white or beige, but a soft green or pewter would help the room stay light and feel more open. Darker colors tend to shrink spaces, which is why it's important to stay with the lighter shades -- no matter which color you decide on. These photos not only provide color concepts for the cabinets and walls, but offer counter top ideas.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
0 Likes   Thanked by Doc Alesis    August 7, 2014 at 1:03PM
Doc Alesis
Very helpful, T. Baker. Your examples look like warehouses compared to my space , though. Thanks very much.
1 Like   August 7, 2014 at 1:10PM
Doc Alesis
More light in this photo. Don't know if lighting is necessarily a problem. Top 2 photos were taken with no light on in the open dining area
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 1:31PM
Brandon O'Hanlon
If you purchase new cabs in any painted finish, your going to pay more than you would with a stain. Unless you buy unfinished cabinets and paint them yourself. Painted cabinets would be nice in your kitchen, but your budget is going to stop you. Check into light stained finishes, or natural finishes to get more for your money.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 1:44PM
Dawson & Clinton
I think it's too dark in color. You might want to add some color to the room to help make it feel a bit more warm. The small accent wall that has a stencil on it currently might be a good place to put in your secondary color. I would think about a blue or a yellow judging by the space.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 1:44PM
Brandon O'Hanlon
Here's what I was talking about earlier as far as a lighter stain.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 1:48PM
Doc Alesis
My man Brandon: Yes. That's the direction I'm going. Paint is a notch up in price. Now, it's trying to figure dark stains (say espresso or deep caffe with light/white counter vs. lighter wood stain (not blond oak) with black or black design counter.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 1:51PM
Thos. Baker
Doc Alesis -- sorry, I tried to find smaller kitchen photos to post for you, but I didn't think you'd want soft baby blue for a color recommendation!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 1:54PM
Doc Alesis
D & C: I have no idea why I've kept that stencil up (some have described as "hideous"), perhaps because I thought I would wait till I remodeled. Well, now I'm remodeling. Good, interesting ideas from you.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 1:55PM
Doc Alesis
Christi for T. Baker. You're right on the baby blue. As far as pics- Unfortunately, the world of design emphasizes the elaborate over the budget conscious. I've had lots of problems finding small kitchen examples myself. Much obliged for your selections nonetheless.
1 Like   August 7, 2014 at 1:57PM
Doc Alesis
BrandonO: Didn't see your photo example before. Looks very appealing. Do you know any descriptions on this - color on cabs? exact color/pattern for counter - is that granite?
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 7:12AM
Brandon O'Hanlon
Hey Doc: The cabinets are Armstrong Cabinets. It is the Trevant door style, toffee stain on maple. We used Uba Tuba (group A) granite on this project. This is a kitchen that one of my designers put together and won an award through the York Builders Association.
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 7:50AM
Brandon O'Hanlon
If you stick with something like this, keep the same footprint, and install the cabinets yourself, you should be pretty close to your budget. If you go the granite route, ask your granite guys if they have an upgraded sealer. Most fabricators have sealers that offer much better protection against stains, ect. That way you don't have to seal it every year or so.
0 Likes   Thanked by Doc Alesis    August 8, 2014 at 7:57AM
Brandon O'Hanlon
Here's the before photo of the kitchen. We did so much work out there that it looks nothing like the before. Good luck with your project.
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 8:01AM
Doc Alesis
Yo, BrandonO: very much appreciate the info. Looks like a darker hardwood or hardwood veneer floor. I've got laminate, light gray, faux tile design floor - (you can see?) - which will stay. Think it won't clash?
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 9:12AM
Doc Alesis
Brandon: To your last comment about the before for your example- geez, looks like you even moved the window it's so different. The whole arrangement is turned around.
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 9:15AM
Brandon O'Hanlon
Here's another picture of a kitchen we did in that exact color combo (cabs and counters).
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 9:30AM
Brandon O'Hanlon
Keep your floor as is. Go with stainless steel appliances, and integrate some stainless into your backsplash, and you will be fine. I've been really digging those stainless steel subway tiles lately. This will keep you in the grey category instead of the beige category.
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 9:32AM
Brandon O'Hanlon
Yeah, we removed that wall.
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 9:32AM
Brandon O'Hanlon
The point of the picture, is that you have a lot of flexibility with a toffee stain
0 Likes   Thanked by Doc Alesis    August 8, 2014 at 9:33AM
Thos. Baker
Doc Alesis -- had an idea. How about driftwood cabinets? The finish comes in varying shades of gray -- great for your flooring. Driftwood has a cool, rustic look to it as well.

Since your kitchen is small, you should go with light colored cabinets in a painted finish or a light stain if you choose wood. Many small kitchens are painted white because dark colors tend to make spaces look smaller.

Just thought I'd throw the ball your way. Who knows? Could be a home run.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 5:45PM
Doc Alesis
Thanks, Christi/T.Baker. These are interesting ideas. I'm not excited about driftwood as a material or a look, however.
0 Likes   August 9, 2014 at 7:51AM
Doc Alesis
Brandon: Your second photo example (which didn't post until hours later?) gives another view. It looks a bit deeper in color - more tan (even a bit orange) than the first. Am I right, or is it just the angle of my screen? it seems to make a stronger contrast with the black counter which could be useful.
0 Likes   August 9, 2014 at 7:54AM
Doc Alesis
Brandon O.: Can you see my ideabook example above? If so, FYI, this is the cabinet manufacturer (Marsh Furniture) whose rep I've been consulting. Can you tell- Is the color (Marsh line: "Tuscany") the same as toffee?
0 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 2:18PM
Brandon O'Hanlon
Doc-The second photo is from an entirely different kitchen. The second photo was taken with special lighting to achieve a more balanced look. Both photos are the exact same stain. The first photo is a bit more true to the actual color. I think that green paint is making it look a little orange as well.
0 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 4:22PM
Brandon O'Hanlon
Visit this website: http://www.echeloncabinetry.com
Armstrong cabinetry was recently bought and rebranded as Echelon Cabinetry. It's the same stuff, just a different name. Their website will give you a pretty good feel for the actual color of the stain.
0 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 4:25PM
Brandon O'Hanlon
Here is an image that has our Echelon (Armstrong) cabinet on the left (Toffee), with your Marsh cabinet on the right (Tuscany)
0 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 4:34PM
Brandon O'Hanlon
They're two different stains, but I think you will achieve the same look. BTW, those images were taken right off the websites.
0 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 4:36PM
Doc Alesis
My Man Brandon! Thanks for the responses. You apparently did a little research for me - very grateful for that. I am surprised how dusty brown the toffee cabinet appears side-by-side with the Tuscany, which appears to exhibit more tan/orange.
0 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 9:19AM
Brandon O'Hanlon
No problem, the best bet is to get actual samples and to see how they look in your kitchen.
0 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 12:44PM
Doc Alesis
Brandon: Yes, thanks- good advice; that's obviously what I should try to do. If they're not willing to provide those, I should probably select someone else.
0 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 1:22PM
Need exterior paint suggestions!
We've added a second story to our 1948 cottage style...
need help with trimand door color
we painted the walls of our Tahoe home Taupe Tone by...
Benjamin Moore colour match
I want to use Benjamin moore colour 'Chelsea Grey'...
I don't know what to do with my living/dining room
I want to put a huge art piece or something different...