What to do with space above cabinets
Beth GilliamAugust 6, 2014
Hi! My husband and I just bought our first home. This house was just flipped before we bought it and the kitchen is a little contemporary for my for fun country (younger) look. What should I do above my cabinets? I am looking into buying small moulding to go above, but we are on a budget. Is putting things above your cabinets dated? How can I get a more cozy look? We will eventually put in a back splash...I attached pictures of right when we moved in, and after I made the curtains for the window...any suggestions? (not painting the walls) :)
beachlily
Congratulations on home! Kitchen lovely. Your curtains charming! I'd add large colorful pottery above( get ready to dust).... Someone gave a good idea...put sheets of paper towels on top of cuboards...easier to collect the dust and throw away!
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Beth Gilliam    August 6, 2014 at 10:39AM
Add some glass door lighted cabs that will close up the top and go to the ceiling. Ditch the dated florescent light fixture, adding a country touch there. Don't forget LED under counter lights. You could change the finish to a nice green. See rustoleumtransformations.com
rossington architecture
Vintage Mason Jar CEILING LIGHT Trio, Oil Rubbed Bronze
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Beth Gilliam    August 6, 2014 at 10:43AM
Affordable Quality Lighting
To avoid dust you could definitely put down some in-cabinet covers to collect dust. As for decor I think your kitchen could easily transition to a farmer chic style. This example shows a fun way to use pots and plates to decorate your kitchen. Kitchen 1 I'd recommend using some led tape light on its own lighting circuit to highlight the decor above your cabinets without needing to turn on the main kitchen light. This page shows the effect of the tape light under the cabinetry http://www.affordablequalitylighting.com/led-strip-tape-light/ This would be super cute as well Kitchen 2 a cute clock with dried flowers or wheat with maybe some old milk tins or flower pales. The best part about your kitchen is you have a blank canvas to work with!

The only other suggestion would be to remove the light box, install some recessed cans and a fun shabby-chic chandelier to enhance the design. This one is kind of fun, but maybe over the top Tri Color Kitchen Good Luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 10:49AM
Beth Gilliam
I would love new cabinets, but the budget doesnt allow for it. I love the clock idea! I never paid much attention to the florecent light fixture above, I will definatly need to change that out! It is open to an eat inkitchen area, where I am putting a black chandelier, what type of ceiling light fixture would go nice with this. I love the mason jar idea sooo much but im afraid it wont give off enough light....
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 11:11AM
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Cute curtains! I would add a flat crown and put bowls and pottery on top. You will have to dust, but we have to dust just about everything, don't we? Great idea to replace the light fixture. Add some oil-rubbed bronze hardware also. It will make a big difference.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beth Gilliam    August 6, 2014 at 11:19AM
Linda Williston
Nice Kitchen, I think it would look wonderful if you added a simple crown molding to the top of cupboards, stained to match. Also same crown molding around ceiling painted trim color. You could still display some objects up on cupboards, but it would look great with out anything on cupboards too.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beth Gilliam    August 6, 2014 at 11:43AM
makaloco
I don't think crown molding on the cabinets would add anything, but I admit to a strong bias against it in general. Since you're aiming for a country look, a few items of basketry, wood, or pottery on top of the cabinets would make it more cozy, but avoid too many small things, which look busy and are harder to keep clean. Your window curtains are really cute! Gradually, as budget allows, I'd change the appliances and sink to white. Stainless adds to the more contemporary feel you don't care for. Some will want to kill me, but I'd keep the fluorescent lighting. It may seem boring and dated, but it's the ONLY kitchen lighting I've ever been happy with. I still miss it seven years after moving out of my former rental.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beth Gilliam    August 6, 2014 at 11:47AM
anneandgreg
We once had a country kitchen in our first home with an open bulkhead as well. This is what I did - I collected a dozen or so large glass jars (128 oz) that I got from my work. These would be jars that restaurants get bulk mustard, mayo, pickles etc in. You can usually ask and get them free. I put a variety of decorative pastas, beans etc into them and used them solely for decorative purposes. Inexpensive.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Beth Gilliam    August 6, 2014 at 11:54AM
Heidi Dyke
This isn't my project (from the blog Domestic Imperfection), but I may be doing it myself here soon. They took the existing cabinets up the wall and installed a single floating shelf beneath. I'm not a big fan of dust-collecting displays, but they've limited theirs to just a couple shelves above the range hood. I like the idea of keeping every-day dishes within easy reach...they don't get dusty if they're getting used ;)
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beth Gilliam    August 6, 2014 at 12:40PM
Heidi Dyke
Yeah, this one:
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Beth Gilliam    August 6, 2014 at 12:45PM
Kevin Strader
Crown molding painted a satin black.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 1:04PM
MarleneM
    Bookmark   Thanked by Beth Gilliam    August 6, 2014 at 1:09PM
crosswired
How about something like this for above the cabinets? (And I agree, switch out the light fixture in the kitchen!!)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Beth Gilliam    August 6, 2014 at 1:10PM
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Heidi's idea of raising the cabinets to the ceiling and adding a shelf below is great. Here is another example. Also love the light fixtures from Marlene. Looks like you have a lot of good ideas.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Beth Gilliam    August 6, 2014 at 3:51PM
asquithoatley
Do not put anything on top of your cabinets!
You do not have enough space and it will look cluttered, will get dusty and it is so dated. Kitchens should look uncluttered and clean - I also vote with Heidi to raise cabinets.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 4:01PM
Beth Gilliam
I am really liking the idea of raising my cabinets...Should I paint them? If so what color? I am not a grey person, but I was thinking a blue or green? these pictures show a 2 tone...white on top? What do you think?
    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 6:20AM
Beth Gilliam
Also, what do I do above my micro wave and fridge, I cant move the microwave cabinet up because it would make it too high...Im trying to visualize how that would look and I am not sure how it would work with those two areas...
    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 6:24AM
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
If you click on the picture from Heidi, you can see that they put shelves above the microwave. You could do the same above the frig, maybe for cookbooks? I don't think the cabinets need to be painted unless that the look you really want..
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Beth Gilliam    August 7, 2014 at 8:26AM
crosswired
White is definitely in right now. And with the black countertops, it's a nice look. You could do a bold paint color or a colored backsplash. Are you keeping that dining room table those colors though?
    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 9:38AM
Beth Gilliam
Well, I just painted the chairs green, and the table was made my husbands grandfather, its not nearly as bright as it looks in the picture. I would prefer to not paint it...Shelves above may be the solution...and what a great idea to put cook books up there!
    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 10:30AM
regina5697
What stands out to me in need of attention is the ceiling. Others mentioned a new light fixture, which I am in agreement with. I think your kitchen would look amazing with a tin ceiling. You are looking to infuse a country feel and such a ceiling would meld the cabinets with your goal.

There would be enough interest up high and no need for any decor above the cabinets. If you want something up there, I would keep it larger in scale and white...ie. a collection of white ware pitchers.
Congratulations on your new home! It's a lovely kitchen.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 10:50AM
Affordable Quality Lighting
That is a great piece for the eat-in kitchen! With that fixture and the rich deep finish on your cabinets you'll want to put in a few recessed LED lights to provide the overall illumination. Our professional lighting experts can help you decide how many would provide the best lighting from a functional and aesthetic perspective (800.865.7221). These are some of our low voltage cans but I'd suggest giving them a call, it is easier to figure out exactly what you need when you have someone to talk with. http://www.affordablequalitylighting.com/low-voltage-recessed-cans/ This vintage chandelier by Hudson Valley could be perfect in your kitchen to replace the light box, it's a classic beauty.
    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 6:18PM
Heidi Dyke
The blog I referred to above talks through all the steps they took to get their cabinets looking the way they do...again, it's not my blog, but they do talk about how they modified/worked with the existing stuff to get that look, including the tricky bit above the microhood and fridge. I think they planked the backsplash, too, though I'm not sure you'd want that for yours (comes across a little nautical).
If you're going for a modern country look, I'm not sure you'd need to paint...the accessory selection might be enough to get the look you want. I personally like the white cabs above darker cabs look, but painting cabinets is a big commitment, and if you're not someone who loves painting, well, better to leave it as-is than to have a crappy paint job that makes you grimace every time you walk in the kitchen. I'd take it in stages...move the cabinets, if you decide to, then step back and evaluate. Add accessories, step back and evaluate. Come back and post pics as you go; I'm sure you'll get dozens of "ooo"s, "aaaah"s, and "now you need..."s.

Congrats on the house!! It's gonna be great!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 10:06PM
regina5697
Here's another photo using a similar idea

1 Like    Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 12:18PM
Your cabinets are too short to be raised. To get the effect of taller cabs you'll have to add some on top as suggested August 6.

2 Likes    Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 2:31PM
Styling Spaces Home Staging & Re-Design
A cheap fix would be to paint the cabinets white and put a fuze molding the go from the top of the cabinets to the ceiling. This would really lighten up the kitchen!
    Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 2:39PM
Do you want space above your kitchen cabinets?
A recent post said: “like no empty space above kitchen...
Wyatt Drafting & Design
What to do with space above kitchen cabinets
Cluttered area above cabinet
mikeweezy
Space Above Cabinets
We are a few weeks away from closing on our new house...
Daphne M
Space Above Cabinets
Daphne M
What to do with space above cabinets?
It is only twelve inches so not really room for display....
sbscoast
need help with front yard curb appeal
pls I need thoughts on making the front more appealing Thanks...
nbm222
Family room sectional?
We bought a Beautiful sectional, I am just not sure...
omoge25
Seeking opinion on using glass wave tile on wall behind stove
This 3d wave tile appears to have no room for grout....
willietwo
Feed back on area rug
Does this rug work with my colors?
nduthu
wooden log on fungus/ rotting
hi i'm design up a wooden log wall for my live kitchen...
ashu101