How to match white crown molding with cream cabinet molding??
lilysohara
Our contractor has installed new cream cabinets in our kitchen. We already had white crown molding in the kitchen and now there's a few places where it looks strange. How do we connect the different color AND different style moldings? What do we do with the tall cabinets that have the cabinet molding AND the crown above it? And how do we encase our sliding doors to match everything. Please help!!!
and just what does your contractor say??
0 Likes   August 6, 2014 at 6:16PM
pphlelps
I suggest buying the same moulding that is on the cabinets and have it installed all the way around the kitchen. You have nice cabinets. So spend the extra money for your crown moulding.
0 Likes   Thanked by lilysohara    August 6, 2014 at 6:18PM
lilysohara
the contractor thought this looked nice! we're clearly not happy. if we get the room crown molding to match, is it weird that our pantry and sliding door casings are white?
0 Likes   August 6, 2014 at 6:28PM
What color are your baseboards?
0 Likes   August 6, 2014 at 6:36PM
lilysohara
baseboards are white ... except the cabinet bases are cream ...
0 Likes   August 6, 2014 at 6:40PM
Gina
Crown molding in a kitchen is hard to work with. Most often it is impossible to find molding that matches the crown molding on the cabinets. It typically works best if there is separation between the cabinets and ceiling. example would be a bulk head. Whereas the crown molding does not actually come in contact with the cabinet molding or the cabinets go to the ceiling and the moldings are at equal heights. If this is not the case it might be a good idea to just eliminate it all together. You can however bring the two together with a transitional piece. This will only work if both moldings actually meet.
0 Likes   August 6, 2014 at 7:09PM
Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
Unfortunately either the moldings and other wood trim in the place need to be painted a more creamy color to be more in line with the cabinetry, or your other option is removing the crown from the space all together. The molding around the sliding doors can be made more creamy, as well - but then you need to think about other spaces that are in direct line of this space.
0 Likes   August 6, 2014 at 7:29PM
aliciap414
why not just paint it all the same color as the cabinets?bring a door to paint store and have them color match it
1 Like   August 6, 2014 at 8:53PM
adivra
I'd remove the crown molding throughout the room, two sets of molding looks odd even when it's the same color.
2 Likes   August 6, 2014 at 8:57PM
pphlelps
Two choices, remove the crown moulding off the wall over cabinets or paint moulding at top of cabinets white. Try to make all the baseboard and moulding match so there is some symmetry in the room.
1 Like   August 7, 2014 at 7:00AM
Stephanie Boegeman- REMAX/Advantage Plus
I recommend removing the crown molding on the cabinets, making it more substantial and taking it all the way to the ceiling (just around the cabinets). It is okay if the colors don't match up perfectly at the wall because the molding will be on a different surface. Make the cabinets stand out like a separate piece of furniture. If you added another layer of detail to the bottom of the cabinet molding and took the top of the crown to the ceiling, I think it would look very nice.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 7:08AM
Belle Chaise
Can't you just paint the crown molding to match the cabinets?
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 7:59AM
With the angle of the photo - I can't tell how much wall is between the top of the cabinets and the bottom of the molding - or how far out the can lighting is from the front of the cabinets. Can you clarify?
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 9:10AM
lilysohara
The top of the cabinets touches the ceiling, except on this wall with longer cabinets that stop about 5 inches short of the ceiling. The crown and buildup is already big, so I don't think they can make one that touches the ceiling without it looking strange. The light is about 10 inches from the wall.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 11:38AM
Kevin Strader
Our crown around the room did not match the crown around the cabinets so we talked with our contractor and decided to go with the corner blocks (like Gina showed). Since our cabinets were stained we figured we couldn't match the stain so we had them painted white to match the rest of the crown in our room.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 11:52AM
can you shoot a picture of the other parts of the room? specifically where the cabinets go to the ceiling, and where the taller wall meets the other walls?
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 12:01PM
I think that bringing some extra stacked moldings out to the cabinet elevation and incorporating the crown in the cabinet color is going to give you the best effect. this will only work if your can lighting is far enough away from the cabinets not to look squished. some examples are below
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 12:11PM
Brandon O'Hanlon
How tall is the toe kick on these pantry cabinets? Can you have your contractor bump the cabs up and install a taller toekick? I've done this before.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 1:04PM
Brandon O'Hanlon
The other trim doesn't need to match because you have two totally different types of crown, just get those pantries to touch the ceiling.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 1:06PM
Grusby Woodworks LLC.
Yes, maybe remove the cabinet crown, add a small cabinet or display cabinet that can tie it into the ceiling, then carry the existing crown onto the cabinets in the cream color. Ideally these cabinets should have been brought up to the ceiling height.
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 2:08PM
Cream cabinets with white crown molding?
I just recently bought a house and I am remolding the...
Should white bead board ceiling match the white crown molding?
New beach house kitchen with white cabinets and whiter...
can the crown molding be white and the cabinets antique white?
hello, I have a kitchen with very similar colors. ...
Off white kitchen cabinets & white crown molding
I am about to paint my builder grade oak kitchen cabinets....
Kitchen: antique white cabinets with white crown molding?
I am curious. I really want to do antique white cabinets...
Bed off-centered on wall
I wanted to draw more attention to my bed as the focal...
Manoa
My problem is finding a bedspread or duvet cover made...
Hammered copper farmsink discolouration
I recently remodelled my kitchen and installed a hammered...
Saying Goodbye to Sentimental Objects
I read the article on the ten steps to saying goodbye...
Art on my wall is making me stall!
Do the dimensions of my stand- in painting work for...