White cabinets or Dark/Merlot Cherry?
solarity
We were thinking of doing merlot cherry with a lighter granite counter top. We live in a 1979 colonial that I can touch the cieling. We have a lighter wood laminate floor and have SS appliances. I am not a fan of the flooring and thinking of going with a darker plank vinyl. My wife and I were suprisingly attracted to a white kitchen we saw as well as I see a lot of colonials use white cabinets. Also I am wondering if using a white cabinet with a dark counter top would be okay. I used the merlot cherry and lighter granet in the bathrooms I redid, but I notice water can leave a shadow from standing water on the granite. I like functionality the most, then following traditionalism, then style. Resell is important and I don't want to make the room feel smaller. What do you guys think?
Gina
I myseld am a fan of cherry cabinets but white or cream cabinets can be timeless. Taking into consideration that your home has lower ceilings I would definitely recommend the white cabinets. Take them to the ceiling to give the illusion of height. However, if you are considering a solid dark countertop remember that the darker the color the harder to keep clean looking ( fingerprints ). The same goes for the flooring (dust, crumbs).
0 Likes   August 7, 2014 at 10:11PM
Cancork Floor Inc.
You have ceiling height issues (makes a room feel smaller), you would like to add dark(er) flooring and you don't want the room to look to "smaller". Everything points towards light cabs, medium dark counter tops (don't go too dark) and dark(er) floors (again...don't go too dark).

If you had a massive, airy space with OODLES of lighting...go for the dark cabinets with medium dark floors and BRIGHT WHITE counter tops! You don't have any of these (I'm not sure on the lighting...so I'm assuming your lighting is "regular" = not enough). A light kitchen will be more appealing to more people.

Dark cabinetry has been "out of fashion" in Europe for several years now. N. America follows behind Europe by 5-15 years (middle America takes ++time to catch up). Future resale value is an issue which means you will be balancing what is in style today vs. what might be in style (in your area) in 5-7 years.
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 2:17PM
Decorilla | Design a Room Online
I completely agree with the above comments! Go for the white to maximize the space. I wouldn't go too dark with the counter tops, I have had clients with white cabinetry and colored granite such as reds and greens that were dark and were really beautiful.
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 2:57PM
nervous about dark cherry cabinets with off white glazed island-thoughts?
just starting remodeling very small kitchen. Taking...
anngoldstein
dark cherry cabinets and white kitchen
this may be a really dumb question but I have black...
lryan2000
Should I stain my cabinets dark cherry or paint white?
What can I do to update this kitchen? All suggestions...
sarahbull
Nice cherry kitchen cabinets but they are too dark! White paint??
We have lived in our house 11 years now and I've enjoyed...
Carolina
Chris Mclaw
Replacing carpet with wood...but which wood?
I'd like to remove this grey carpet and put down wood...
Asad Goodarzy
I have the ugliest house front......help
I have recently purchased this house. I know that I...
cdnwoman
Decorating Idea for Bedroom
Need advice on how to decorate area between bed and...
sharonsmi41
Desperately seeking color!
Hello, amateur here! I have recently renovated a small...
feltovic
Need help in whitewashing cedar.
I've gotten this far with the bathroom and need to...
diy1959