Kitchen Sinks, does top dollar equal top quality and best choice?
Andrea Walker
August 7, 2014 in Other
Currently I'm deciding on sinks for 4 areas in our major house renovation, kitchen, laundry, tea-room and BBQ area, our designer has recommended Franke! They are supposedly one of the best but with a price to match. Recently I looked at AFA sinks at Reece at less than half the price, so I have a dilemma in terms of why to spend the extra on Franke? Are there any sink experts out there that can advise. I want quality and I want it to stand the test of time.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hayleydaniels
I'm not a sink pro, but since no one has responded to your post I suggest you google each product with the terms 'reviews' and 'complaints' and see what you come up with. People write reviews of things they love or hate, and aren't shy in telling you why. Good luck.
1 Like   August 8, 2014 at 6:35AM
Andrea Walker
Thanks Hayley, I tried this but not a lot out there,will keep researching, seems a lot to understand about the composition of stainless steel and the thickness.
   August 8, 2014 at 5:30PM
Andrea Walker
For those pondering kitchen sinks, this blog offers very useful tips http://www.bluetea.com.au/choosing-a-kitchen-sink-2/#comment-1928
   August 8, 2014 at 6:05PM
PRO
Julien Home Refinements
Hi Andrea! Here at Julien, we have been crafting stainless steel sinks for almost 70 years. We would be pleased to help you a little with your researches.

First of all, one thing that can explain the price differences between the sinks is, like you said before, the thickness of the material. We use to manufacture most of our sinks with 16 gauge commercial grade stainless steel (as gauge number increases, thickness decreases). We would never recommend to go any lower than 18 gauge at least. If you choose a 20 or 22 gauge stainless steel sink, its cost will be cheaper, but quality will drop significantly too. And this is not to mention the bad sound and vibration absorption.

Another important thing explaining the price is the way the sink is manufactured. Here, all of our 16 gauge sinks are handcrafted: that means they are all bended, welded and polished by hand. Thanks to this process, we can maintain superior quality standards. In most of the cases, cheaper sinks are simply embossed by an industrial press which deforms steel and material becomes thinner and uneven.

Hope this helped you differentiate a good quality sink from a cheap one! Good luck with your project. http://www.julien.ca/en/home_refinements/sinks/stainless_steel/index.html
1 Like   August 12, 2014 at 5:25AM
Andrea Walker
Thanks Julien that helps a lot, I know what questions to ask now. Cheers
2 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 7:23AM
leeweber
I have 2 Franke stainless steel sinks in my kitchen and I love them! They look good and are great to work in. I recommend the Franke sink cleaner cream to keep,them shining.
1 Like   August 13, 2014 at 9:32AM