KITCHEN CEILING REMOVED
liz100
April 11, 2012 in Photo Questions
WHAT IS THE SIZE OF THE BEDROOM ABOVE THE KICHEN? I HAVE A 100 YEAR OLD HOUSE W/MORE THAN ENOUGH BEDROOMS AND THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE TO DO THE SAME THING,...BUT JUST HAVEN'T TOLD MY HUSBAND YET,...THANKS!
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
Liz100,
The size of the bedroom which was removed above this 2 story Kitchen was approx. 14'long by 18' wide. I would be careful of going any smaller that this. The proportions of the space really have a lot to do with the final overall look. If the room is too narrow than the space left between the balconies will look too close. Also the columns should be made proportionate to the space between the balconies and the height of the ceiling. I would suggest that you seek help from a professional architect before you go too far with this concept. On this particular project we had to really watch our load bearing areas that held the existing roof structure intact so we didn't disturb the exterior of the house. Also, the balconies had to be reinforced with steel which was then buried in the wall to support the cantilevers at the ends.

Do your homework and enlist the help of a professional kitchen designer from the beginning. They will help you establish your plan, budget, and additional people required to help you through this type of project.
See the attached photos of some before and after shots.

If you would like to see more photos of this project and many more "Budget Friendly High Impact Designs",please feel free to view my website at www.interiortrend.com.

Hope this helps.

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
April 11, 2012 at 11:15am     
Gina Johnson
Wow! This is gorgeous! What a great project. Is the upstairs space used for anything other than a balcony?
April 11, 2012 at 11:38am   
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
It is actually connected to the back stairwell. It is used to overlook the kitchen and the 2 story great room. It also, was constructed to give access to the existing exterior balconies.

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
April 11, 2012 at 11:46am     
liz100
Thank you sooo much for the info,.... I figured that I would need to seek professional help, but there are some questions worth pursuing,...and I had been thinking about this since we have moved into this house. The space above my kitchen is about 14' X 16-20', but I wasn't sure if that would look out of proportion,..or not. I thought the heightened ceiling would just look so "cool",...I don't want to add on cuz I figured my house is big enough,....I will look at your site,....I appreciate your time in answering my question.
April 11, 2012 at 3:18pm   
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
I almost forgot to show you the best picture of the group. The original kitchen which only had a 7'6" ceiling.

Thanks for your compliments, and glad I could help.

Torry Manzo
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
April 11, 2012 at 3:51pm     
liz100
oh my,...you are a miracle worker!
April 11, 2012 at 4:37pm   
mimicruising
Wow. That is an amazing change. I wish you were in my part of the world!
April 15, 2012 at 2:06pm   
Renaissance Kitchen and Home
What part would that be? Since you have email, then we're in business!
April 15, 2012 at 3:20pm   
jackidunn27
This is amazing! I don't think I have ever LOVED a kitchen so much. This I definitely on to my list of things to add to my dream home
April 4, 2013 at 6:00pm   
Window Treatments for 2 connected rooms
I need some basic guidance before I choose window treatments....
Would you try temporary wallpaper?
Our office has been discussing the value of temporary...
LIGHTING FIXTURE FOR INSIDE SHOWER
CANNOT USE A RECESSED LIGHT. WHAT IS SAFE FOR INSIDE...
What color curtains and decor ideas? Master
I recently bought the comforter set that I have been...