Am I going about this the right way?
emmauk
So my daughters are getting a bit older, nearly 6. I've cleared out the play room and I plan to make it more of a family room with toy storage. It is the first room of the hall and I'm tired of it looking messy all the time. I have attached a pic for inspiration. So far I have put down a wood floor, chosen the paints and looking to get the besta cabinets from ikea but with the textured doors )pics attached) I need a rug, new curtains and a coffee table with storage. My question is, am I on the right track and specifically would this white coffee table I've seen be too much white in the room?
emmauk
These are the doors I'm thinking of and the coffee table I've seen on eBay
4 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 12:27PM
carolins
Hi :-) I like your plan. Nice to get the textured doors (I didn't know they have them). The only thing is, in the first pic the table looks as white as the Besta doors, in the second pic it looks more yellowish, which may look a bit odd. If it's the same white as the doors it will be perfect. Is the table for sale near you? Can you take a Besta door with you if you go see it to compare colours?
And will you be getting a rug?
1 Like   August 10, 2014 at 12:04PM
emmauk
Hello!! Re the other room, we are doing exactly like the layout you planned, we've nearly finished saving for the sofas and the blinds (I'm having them made rather than the next ones as I heard bad reviews) and then all good to go.
With this room I decided just to crack on with it as it didn't really cost that much with the units from ikea. I love the textured doors, I've bought them today, I'll take a pic in a second. I think I've decided against this coffee table, I thought the same thing re the colour differences and it was a bit of a way to travel just to compare
1 Like   August 10, 2014 at 12:12PM
carolins
Ooo... very exciting about the other room. Hope you did measure, measure, measure. It is a bit of an awkward room with the L-shape. But very nice. Keep us posted about that one :-)
0 Likes   August 10, 2014 at 12:21PM
emmauk
I bought the bigger cabinets for the bottom which are 64cm high (as I need more storage than the inspiration pic) and the smaller ones for the top which are 38cm high.
Although I said it wouldn't really cost that much for this room, the husband decided we MUST have a new tv and has gone and bought a 40inch one today! This leaves around 17cm at either side if the tv and the cabinets, the TV it's too big isn't it?!
2 Likes   August 10, 2014 at 12:28PM
emmauk
So I changed the paint colour at the last minute, it was too grey to more of a stone colour, which is what I was looking for. Cabinets are up and I have so much more toy storage. Need to do woodwork, then the good bit, curtains, rug, pictures/mirror and "ornaments" any suggestions? Oo am looking to follow the concept of the inspiration pic
6 Likes   August 21, 2014 at 4:33PM
No,it won't be too much white - you can always add colorful accessories if you feel it is too much once you have it all in place.
0 Likes   August 21, 2014 at 4:41PM
emmauk
Thank you, on the look out now for a coffee table, rug and curtains.
On the shelves I think I'm going to put a black & white pic of my daughters and I've seen these items which are similar to the items on the inspiration pic. Would like to add a splash of colour on the shelves, not sure what yet though
1 Like   August 21, 2014 at 4:48PM
jabbott2012
You're off to a great start. Nice!
1 Like   August 21, 2014 at 5:35PM
Wall looks great and the TV's not too big.
1 Like   August 21, 2014 at 5:39PM
emmauk
Thank you all, nope got to admit the husband was right about the TV- hate it when that happens :)
Any idea on colours for curtains, rugs, ill attach a pic of current sofas which I don't really want to change with my girls still being rather prone to spilling!
0 Likes   August 21, 2014 at 5:44PM
emmauk
Thank you I will check that site out, I chose the black cat ornament as she reminds me of my real one
3 Likes   August 21, 2014 at 5:56PM
carolins
I like the combination black/white/beige. So you could keep to those colours. But if you want you could add grey and teal or turquoise?
0 Likes   August 22, 2014 at 12:25AM
carolins
Ikea rugs...
1 Like   August 22, 2014 at 12:30AM
carolins
Or...
1 Like   August 22, 2014 at 12:38AM
emmauk
Thanks Carolins for the rug ideas. I had thought about teal actually as I have some photos of my girls on order from a 'frozen' photo shoot and they have gorgeous blue/teal tu tu's on (which they loved) they are photo blocks rather than prints and thought they may look good on the shelves
1 Like   August 22, 2014 at 1:30PM
emmauk
Spent most if the bank Hols sorting out toys, in between the girls discovering things they've not played with for ages, I love having all the toys behind doors!
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 7:05AM
emmauk
I've painted the front wall, I did tape it all but the line isn't perfect, I need to do the adjoining wall so will be able to make it a little better. Question - would you paint all 4 walls the stone colour or carry on with he plan to do the 3 other wall an 'off white'
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 7:07AM
carolins
I would paint all 4 walls the stone colour; since it isn't a large space, it will look more spacious if you don't divide it up.
Toys look very organized :-)
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 8:50AM
emmauk
Great that makes my life easier! Making the join perfect was giving me palpitations ha ha!
Let's see how long the toys stay like that :)
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 2:25PM
emmauk
We've had a little break and then back to school madness ensued so I'm getting back to this room this weekend. I'm going to paint the other 3 walls the stone colour today. I've seen these curtains, are they a good match? I'm thinking patterned as they will be next to one of the sofas I posted earlier, so I don't want it all to 'blend in'
3 Likes   September 6, 2014 at 2:18AM
Those curtains look great. Just make sure you can return them in case the color is off when you get them in the room.
2 Likes   September 6, 2014 at 4:46AM
carolins
I'm not sure that colour would work. Think white or off-white will be better. Not too heavy looking, simple, modern. And because your walls will be that lovely stone colour, they will stand out enough without being too overpowering.
2 Likes   September 6, 2014 at 8:02AM
emmauk
Ok thank you, I'll have a look at these and some white/off white. They will let me return so I'll bring them home and post pics! Thanks both for your advice
1 Like   September 6, 2014 at 8:20AM
Gray & Walter, Ltd.
The table is nice, go for it. Just don't have too much white as it can make a room look like a kids bedroom sometimes. My neighbor made that mistake, her family room looks like a nursery.
1 Like   September 6, 2014 at 8:39AM
emmauk
Finally painted all the room the stone colour! I totally underestimated the time it would take, I swear I am paying someone next time :)
I love the walls, I just don't 'love' it next to the sofas. It is ok though and I think some new cushions will tie it all in. I'm going to pick up the curtains tomorrow, I've seen these Carolins which is hopefully what you were suggesting, feel free to tell me if they are off the mark- I know you will anyway hee hee x
1 Like   September 9, 2014 at 10:20AM
carolins
I like them :-)
1 Like   September 9, 2014 at 11:35AM
carolins
That cushion that's on the sofa has the stone colour in it doesn't it?
0 Likes   September 9, 2014 at 11:37AM
emmauk
Yeah I have one on the little sofa, and I think that looks good, would you get the same for the big sofa? I seem to see lots of different ones on here. I am quite a 'matchy' person which sometimes comes off as 'hospital like' and not homely
0 Likes   September 9, 2014 at 2:07PM
Decorative Philosophy
Beautiful pillows and whimsical art are what you need.
Look on our market place and some samples here. :)
Remember our pillows are available soon as reproductions of the original art for a more modest price and are available in smaller sizes for even more economical purchasing.
Let the girls help with the accessories. They will enjoy being a part of the new family room planning.
Regards,
Karen & Joseph
for Decorative Philosophy
1 Like   September 9, 2014 at 2:15PM
Decorative Philosophy
Choose 2 or 3 small pieces of art ( check out our marketplace on HOUZZ and have them framed together for a great burst of color.
OR we'll make them larger for you to put on your wall as a mural or border.
OR think about a reproduction of one of the larger pieces.
All ages love these bold colorful designs.
1 Like   September 9, 2014 at 2:18PM
carolins
Your inspiration room is very tone on tone. I like the bright coloured art and pillows that Decorative Philosophy posted, but I wonder if you'd feel comfortable with that?

I made a more colourful and a black and white mock up for you. What you have now is pretty neutral, so you can go any way you want with it.
1 Like   September 10, 2014 at 1:25AM
emmauk
Ah thank you, although I think the bright colours and designs are beautiful on the screen, you're right Carolins I can't picture me with them!
I would rather stick with the inspiration pic, off shopping now-Yey looking forward to a few hours on my own!
Ps Carolins I read the thread with the bios on. You have always had an American accent in my head! X
1 Like   September 10, 2014 at 1:49AM
emmauk
Forgot to say I do think the beige cushion with the black trim and wavy lines could work Decorative Philosophy, it is the same pattern as my cupboards
I will check that out
1 Like   September 10, 2014 at 1:52AM
emmauk
I couldn't get the stone pattern curtains to try, I didn't notice they were only on-line. So I brought the off-white ones to try?
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 1:42PM
emmauk
At first I thought they were too off with the white cupboards, and they do look a bit like that on screen but I think I'm getting more used to them
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 1:44PM
carolins
It's difficult to judge the colours on screen. How do you like them now? Do they look good?
My first thought is that I think I would prefer lighter ones. But as I said, difficult to be sure based on photos :-) Maybe it's the horizontal band on top that puts me off? I think it makes the room look lower.
2 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 3:12AM
emmauk
I look at them and they look nice and then the white units catch my eye and make me think mmm not sure. I'm struggling to find a lot of choice with white ones, I've seen these? They are very plain though
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 12:20PM
carolins
'Painted' half of your curtains lighter, almost white. I think it does look better. Fresher. More modern. What do you think?
0 Likes   September 16, 2014 at 11:22AM
emmauk
What would I do without you :) thank you Carolins
Yeah I think white does look better! although someone suggested white wooden blinds today, which got me thinking....shutters! Off work Thursday so will check out white curtains too.
I need to get these cream ones down and back to the shop before some choccy handprints appear on them
1 Like   September 16, 2014 at 11:37AM
carolins
I do like the idea of wooden blinds (white or brown or black) or shutters too :-) Choices, choices.
0 Likes   September 16, 2014 at 11:52AM
Mara Pavlyuk
undestood you plan, and i like such minimalism. for making this interior moe cozy, i think, you can add turquoise or terracotta shades - these colors will suit the overall color scheme of the room.
use some not very pattened and motley accessorize.. stylish home textile, natural materials http://www.jasminesilk.com/ you know..
maybe orriginal clock, or mirror, floor lamps are always good also.. http://www.butlers-online.co.uk/Home-Decor/Home_Decor,en,sc.html ,
1 Like   September 16, 2014 at 1:16PM
emmauk
Well husband hates the idea of blinds or shutters. Ivory curtains have gone back and I can't seem to find white ones anywhere! Aargh. If anyone has any ideas of where to look (and I can return) it would be most appreciated. Hoping to be finished by Christmas lol
0 Likes   September 25, 2014 at 2:24PM
carolins
Ikea?
0 Likes   September 26, 2014 at 10:41AM
Need help for my bedroom
Hello houzzers. I recently added a wardrobe and painted...
Stella Alexiou
how to create barn wood wall
How should I create a barnwood gray accent wall?
Rachel Short
Moving kitchen to screened deck
Just bought a house in Atlanta. Love the house, hate...
rs7623926
Ok it's me again, mforr are you around?
Starting a new project! Building a small house 1350...
marvymare
Wood floors - options?
Can't tell if these hardwood floors absolutely require...
castelljennifer