BABY Girl Nursery PAINT color
37218
Hello dear houzzers,
I'm stuck on what color pink to pain the walls for our baby girl. We are going for an antique, elegant look with white furniture, very few pink accents and light pink walls. I don't want the room to scream PINK, I want it to scream feminine and classy. I went out and got about 8 samples of pink. I would almost like a tan/pink to match the carpet. I posted a few pictures of the nursery, some of the samples on the wall and the few furniture pieces I have. Please share your ideas, I need help deciding.
One more question, what color curtains would you think would go with this room? I was thinking ivory or white...any thoughts? Thank you so much!
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
wild aster
August 8, 2014 at 1:36PM     
37218
I loves the wild aster in some houzz projects i saw, but on the sample it looks too pink (ballerina pink). I'm just scared of pink! Lol i dont want the pink to take over the room.
August 8, 2014 at 1:38PM     
37218
Thank you Pyramid Design Group!
August 8, 2014 at 1:39PM   
14thstreet
Of your samples I personally like powder puff. I looked at some pink rooms and found my taste to be more towards the warm pink side paired with ivory.

Kara Weik © 2012 Houzz
showhouse
Girl's Room
Kids Bedrooms
August 8, 2014 at 2:10PM     
37218
Thank you 14thstreet... I was leaning towards the powder puff, although it has a slight peachy tone.
August 8, 2014 at 2:12PM     
M
Congratulations on your daughter!
I loved the Wild Aster as well, but it looks very different in the different lighting. I think the pink ground in the second photo you posted looks VERY pink. My vote of the options you have would be for the powder puff because it's closer to the tan/pink you want and isn't too pink at all.
August 8, 2014 at 2:35PM     
14thstreet
37218 yes that's what I like about that color, the peachy tone. :)
August 8, 2014 at 2:40PM     
Decorilla | Design a Room Online
I like the wild aster but it may be too pink and would go with powder puff. It's a little more soothing and doesn't scream PINK! As for curtains, I would definitely go with white! Check out these, http://www.laylagrayce.com/Products/Pom-Pom-at-Home-Audrey-White-Cotton-Curtain-Panel__PPHC3000W00.aspx or any other ones on the site, they have great products! Congratulations, have fun with your new baby girl!
August 8, 2014 at 2:44PM     
Luxe Architectural
Congratulations! What an exciting time for you : ) I've been loving Ralph Lauren's Tea Rose paint, it's a pretty, feminine pink with a little sophistication so it'll grow with your daughter over the years. I usually buy it from Vista Paint but it looks like Home Depot is selling it too. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ralph-Lauren-1-gal-Tea-Rose-Eggshell-Interior-Paint-RL2190E/205175583 . All the best!
August 8, 2014 at 2:52PM     
soccernutz
Whatever color you choose make sure you use an eggshell finish or harder. Crayon is a bear to get off of flat paint. Best of luck :)
August 8, 2014 at 2:54PM     
37218
Thank you everyone! Would you suggest changing the powder puff color at all? Darker , lighter, more pink? I love the white curtains! Thank you. Any other design ideas are greatly appreciated!

This is the crib I want. What do you think about adding a white canopy above it? http://www.worldmarket.com/product/mobile/indian-gauze-canopy.do
August 8, 2014 at 3:01PM     
37218
Luxe Arhitec, thank you. I like the color!!! Will have to run and get another sample :).
August 8, 2014 at 3:04PM     
Luxe Architectural
My pleasure! :)
August 8, 2014 at 3:07PM   
bluenan
I like the Pink Ground, the Wild Aster will look too bright, it has a lot of white in it. Here is a review from the Farrow and Ball website on Pink Ground....

Pink Ground - not girly pink
April 8, 2014
i put this in my daughters room and it looks fab. she is almost 1o yrs old and is out of her "Pink" phase so this took some persuading but she loves it. It is very subtle pink. it is fresh but not as cold as ice pink.
August 8, 2014 at 3:13PM     
37218
Thank you bluenan!
August 8, 2014 at 3:16PM   
37218
White or ivory curtains? Thanks!
August 8, 2014 at 3:18PM   
Bridget
Please, any color but pink! That is one color I hate, will not buy it, will not wear it, will never paint anything pink! Not all girls, women, female gender like that color, some really hate it. Don't think I ever wore pink nail polish. Some females like pink, but let them decide, let your baby girl grow up to be a strong independent female. The only P!nk I like is the singer, strong female role model.
Do you want to hear your daughter 20 years from now, tell you how much they hated their pink bedroom!

Know I am going to get so strong reposes, pink makes me think of Pepto Bismol
August 8, 2014 at 3:18PM     
ciscomo
I'd like to suggest that you buy some pieces of foamcore poster board while you're at it. The color on the wall is going to artificially influence how the colors appear, as is having them next to each other. It looks like your carpet itself has a pink undertone. Make sure you are looking at your color boards with the carpet as it's going to have the biggest impact on how the walls look. Another advantage of the boards is you can see how the color looks in different parts of the room.

Congratulations on your baby!
August 8, 2014 at 3:22PM     
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
Hi, congratulations on your new addition to the family. I would suggest powder puff and keep the trims in white. It would give you a soft look and would elegant with the furnitures you would have in the room. Go with white curtains with light print to give it the charm. Good Luck!
August 8, 2014 at 3:22PM     
37218
Ciscomo, great idea! Thank you.
August 8, 2014 at 3:24PM     
bluenan
I'd use white curtains with white furniture and trim. This examples shows Pink Ground in a very sophisticated grown up girl's room with white accents, there is no reason this can't translate to a beautiful nursery.
August 8, 2014 at 3:25PM     
ciscomo
You can do ivory curtains if your bedding or accessories, lights etc.are ivory, so that you see it in the room at least three times. (Decorating Rule. Go ahead and break it, lol)
August 8, 2014 at 3:26PM     
37218
OTM, any idea where to find white with print (what color) curtains? The curtains are another big dilemma.. I've been looking everywhere!
August 8, 2014 at 3:26PM   
37218
Bluenan... Love that style!
August 8, 2014 at 3:27PM   
ciscomo
There's something about the powderpuff with that carpet that makes me nervous. I'm afraid the brown is going to pull it either too peach or to bandaid -y. Hope bluenan weighs in to tell me if I'm stressing for no reason about that combo.
August 8, 2014 at 3:30PM   
37218
Here is a close up of the carpet. It has some medium brown threads mixed in.
August 8, 2014 at 3:32PM     
Eileen
I'm just wondering if you have picked out bedding? I didn't read any mention of it, perhaps that would help to narrow the perfect pink selection.
August 8, 2014 at 3:34PM     
ciscomo
I know your carpet isn't quite this brown. This is Ben Moore Odessa Pink. I'm not suggesting that color but it looks closer to Pink Ground than Powder Puff to me? You may have to click on photo to see the carpet.

August 8, 2014 at 3:34PM     
37218
Eileen, no bedding yet. I was thinking of keeping it really simple. Mostly white or ivory. I would be fine with no pattern or something very little pink.
August 8, 2014 at 3:37PM   
Rider66
I love the pink ground color. It looks like the look that you are after. It has that antique look.
August 8, 2014 at 3:37PM     
37218
Ciscomo, i will try the poster board ideas and put it next to the carpet.
August 8, 2014 at 3:38PM     
Jolene
I like the ground pink.
August 8, 2014 at 4:01PM     
bluenan
I do think the Powder Puff reads a bit peach and might be skewed even more in that direction with the carpet. My aversion to peach is why I like the Pink Ground better.
August 8, 2014 at 4:39PM     
37218
Could i lighten ground pink up? Have u ever done that with color? Thanks
August 8, 2014 at 4:41PM     
Amy Stanley
I highly suggest finding bedding before you paint! Also from a safety point I would skip a canopy I know you see them in nursery design pictures but all I ever think of is potential strangulation when I see them.
August 8, 2014 at 4:56PM     
37218
Thank you amy!
August 8, 2014 at 4:57PM   
bluenan
The paint store can add a percentage of white, I'd talk to the expert at the paint store to see just how that will affect the color. Remember that your samples are painted on beige and that might also alter the color a bit. Any color will change in different light and at different times of the day. That's another good reason to use white poster board and move the sample around the room.
August 8, 2014 at 4:57PM   
I think either powder puff or pink ground would work nicely. The shade I think you might be after however, is bm tissue pink or bm bashful .. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/tissuepink
May I suggest that you match a darker / warmer white to the dresser or crib and paint your trim / closet door so it isn't so bright white . . you are always looking for soft whites to get this to come out the way you envision ( a lovely vision btw) . . .

good white curtains for this . .. see pb kids ... ruffle bottom curtains in blackout! http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/ruffle-bottom-blackout-panel/?pkey=dwindow-panels&
or land of nod where they have alternative ruffles, gathers, even eyelet
see http://www.landofnod.com/antique-chic-curtain-panels-white/f13993

this should at least give you some ideas so you can look at overstock or etsy .. .
August 8, 2014 at 5:08PM     
amyfamyf
I am having the exact same dilemma!! I've painted several shades of pink but I've found that our room is facing north and doesn't get mush direct sunlight so all the pink are turning out shady instead of light and bright like my inspiration photo which I included for you. I also tried wild aster and found it darker than I was expecting, I love it on Pinterest but in my room it wasn't working. I've asked the paint store to mix me another wild aster only 50 % lighter, I'll try that tomorrow. I found one I am liking a lot called foggy morning by BM, it's sophisticated with a touch of taupe or lavender. I also have white vintage furniture for my daughter and I was going to do white sheer curtains for a soft and feminine touch.
August 8, 2014 at 6:26PM     
37218
Thank you amy. Good luck with the color. I just got back from the store with more samples... i am still unsure :(
August 8, 2014 at 7:00PM   
kn123
Another idea is to add a white chair rail, leaving the wall above the chair rail beige and only painting the lower part pink.
August 8, 2014 at 7:03PM   
37218
I painted the samples on poster board... Still confused. I really like the pink ground when it's laying on the floor. When I put it up to the wall, it's a different color, very pink.
August 8, 2014 at 7:16PM     
Natalie
Love pink. Here are some photos of a nice pink---quite similar to the style of your room. Good Luck!
[houzz=Nursery 1][houzz=Nursery 2]
August 8, 2014 at 7:18PM     
37218
Natalia, i was looking at that room earlier. Do you know the paint color? Thanks.
August 8, 2014 at 7:26PM   
amyfamyf
Natalie, I'd love to know that paint color too! I'm in the same dilemma, looking for a very soft subtle pink.
August 8, 2014 at 8:32PM   
Natalie
No-unfortunately I cannot find that info. A few people have inquired, but have yet to receive a reply. Sorry :(
There are 3 pink colors that look similar-all are Ben Moore--- Beautiful in My Eyes-1170, Shell Pink-883, and Pensacola Pink 1184. Check the paint swatches. Keep us posted...
August 8, 2014 at 9:25PM     
sensiblegal
The powder puff looks great. Slightly peachy which is a little unexpected compared to straight pink. It also seems to work best with the carpet. At least from the photos, they look like they are supposed to go together. If you have any samples left, paint them down by the baseboards but not near each other. When they are near each other, the eye compares them to each other rather than seeing how they truly look in the room.
August 8, 2014 at 10:03PM     
mbedeian
I agree with sansible gal, powder buff. Also white curtains, maybe trimmed with ribbon in a coordinating color
August 9, 2014 at 3:45AM     
Hand Painted Wallpaper of good price - Yrmural
light color with some cartoon figure on the wall.
August 9, 2014 at 5:40AM   
ciscomo
Hi 37218 and amy, you could try emailing the designer directly, that's worked before. (I didn't check how long ago the paint question was asked on houzz. It can take a little bit for them to notice it and answer.) She has a website link with a contact page listed under the photo.

32718, have you checked out the Ralph Lauren Tea Rose Luxe Architectural suggested? You could also ask paint store to lower the Pink Ground colorant percentage as amy did. If it's too pink on the walls, trust your instincts. It will just get pinker painted on four walls. :)
August 9, 2014 at 5:44AM     
rosiegabby
What about going with pale pink walls or ivory and using pink or rose elsewhere.

August 9, 2014 at 5:45AM     
37218
See pictures above for tea rose. I like the color, but it's pure pink. I'm leaning towards powder puff. White furniture, white curtains and a few light pink accents. Here's the first one I bought next to powder puff.
August 9, 2014 at 10:08AM   
bluenan
Hopefully it's just my monitor, but I think the pale pink pillow makes the Powder Puff look kind of dirty.
August 9, 2014 at 10:15AM     
37218
Here is the pillow next to pink ground
August 9, 2014 at 10:41AM     
37218
Bluenan, i think it's from the shadow of the poster board on the right. I will repaint a bigger poster board and try it out.
August 9, 2014 at 10:42AM   
ciscomo
What a pretty pillow color!

How about ben moore blanched coral? On my screen, powder puff is moving in the dreaded bandaid direction next to the pillow.

Glam & Pink Girl's Bedroom

Luxurious Pink Girl's Bedroom
August 9, 2014 at 11:12AM        Thanked by 37218
shal1217
For what it's worth, my eyes instantly gravitated to Pink Ground. It also looks better with the pillow you chose. Congratulations, this must be such an exciting time!
August 9, 2014 at 11:28AM     
37218
I honestly think it's the lighting from the camera. I agree powder puff looks ugly next to the pillow, but it looks really nice on the wall. Here is a picture on the wall... Left is pink ground, right is powder puff.
August 9, 2014 at 11:31AM     
37218
Pillow next to Tea Rose... I like!
August 9, 2014 at 11:32AM     
Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
I Agree with Ralph Lauren's Tea Rose. Classy, timeless yet very sweet! Best of luck!
August 9, 2014 at 8:43PM     
shars55
I'm not a pro, just wanted to offer my opinion on the pink room. I had a pink room as a little girl, and I loved it, and still love pink. When your daughter is old enough to tell you what she likes, you can always paint again, but I think pink is beautiful. (I love the Tea Rose, it does NOT look like Pepto Bismol!!!). Congrats on your new baby girl!!!
August 9, 2014 at 9:08PM     
37218
Thank you!!! I'm leaning towards tea rose, maybe lighten just a bit. Room will be painted in September. Will keep you posted.
August 10, 2014 at 7:39AM     
amyfamyf
Sharrs57, thank you for your comment. I have a little girl who loves pink and really wants a pink bedroom. I think a soft pale pink would be beautiful but some people make such bold negative statements about pink rooms. Funny I never hear bad things about green rooms or blue rooms. But I've worried about it and it was very refreshing to read your comment. Funny thing that I hadn't even realized I had a pink room all my childhood. Pink carpet and all! I don't ever remember disliking it and here I am again liking pink rooms. Thanks!
August 10, 2014 at 8:58AM     
shars55
You're welcome! I also get tired of people implying that if you paint your little girl's room pink, you are somehow ruining her. It's just a color! If your daughter likes it, I would paint her room pink! My daughter loved pink until she turned about 11, then she refused to wear it, and wanted her room another color. She picked blue and yellow! Now, she's a very well adjusted adult, living on her own, paying her own way in this world, doesn't let anyone push her around, and loves pink again!!
August 10, 2014 at 9:30AM     
Nancy Walton
FWIW, the color in your example room posted above is Behr's Soft Shoe.
August 10, 2014 at 10:47AM     
37218
Nancy,
Are you referring to Natalie's suggested room? Thanks!
August 10, 2014 at 1:50PM   
Nancy Walton
Yes, I am.
August 10, 2014 at 3:55PM   
amyzrihen4444
I'd say ground pink it would be very classy and feminine
August 10, 2014 at 4:00PM   
amyzrihen4444
A few examples of pink ground walls

August 10, 2014 at 4:12PM     
amyzrihen4444
August 10, 2014 at 4:14PM     
matsmom
August 10, 2014 at 4:44PM   
37218
Matsmom, I'm not able to see the color. What is it called?
August 10, 2014 at 5:20PM   
ciscomo
Donald Kaufman's colors are incredible. This is DKC Mar2014. The link didn't work for you?
August 10, 2014 at 5:39PM     
August 10, 2014 at 6:41PM     
ciscomo
Ooh, I love them!!
August 10, 2014 at 6:45PM     
Woodman Design
Powder buff!
August 10, 2014 at 7:17PM   
Natalie
Gorgeous!
August 10, 2014 at 8:24PM   
Deanna
Looking at the photos you posted initially and the ones in response to queries, I think the Pink Ground would be a good choice, and should go well with your furnishings and accessories. And BTW, congratulations!!! :-)
August 11, 2014 at 6:46AM   
37218
Thank you so much Deanna. I will soon have to decide, and most likely will go with my gut whenever that day comes :). I'm not the type of person that will repaint a room a couple of times. Once I paint the room with one of the "finalists" colors, I will have to live with it and decorate around that color. Finalists are pink ground, tea rose, and powder puff. Leaning more towards the first two. I figured if most of everything else will be white (furniture, curtains, bedding) with few pink accents, color on the wall should be fine! Now, there have been suggestions of paint colors on here that I haven't tried yet, but if I bring one more sample home, I'm going to drive myself crazy!
August 11, 2014 at 7:57AM     
37218
For the glider, I have this piece in mind. What do you think? Does it go with pink & white?
August 11, 2014 at 8:00AM     
togetherbydesign
As a designer I have had to "design with suggestions" because I have done "family" homes.
Everyone's ideas can make you feel overwhelmed and frustrated.
I have read all the comments and suggestions and I would like to add a few words.
The three colors you mentioned above will all work for you.
You are in the room with the natural and artificial light and see each color as "true".
Pictures are never like seeing anything in the space.
Go with your gut....you have liked both of these colors from the start of this post...that tells me something right there.
As for the windows my suggestion would be a soft billowy white sheer panels with a pull down shade behind to block bright light.
Try World Market....great prices...and even though they may be slightly long for your window a dry cleaner can hem for you. Just sit on the floor after they are hung and pin to length. I would suggest you hang them with the rod above the window (halfway between ceiling and window trim).
The WM sheers with the ties for the rod would be another nod to the "soft feminine direction" you are using in your daughters room.
There I have said enough...oh...except to say, LOVE each minute with your daughter...before YOU know it she will be asking you for advice about nursery colors.
August 11, 2014 at 8:39AM        Thanked by 37218
togetherbydesign
Glider is a great choice...warm neutral....pink pillow would look lovely on it too.
August 11, 2014 at 8:40AM        Thanked by 37218
ciscomo
Hi again, I hope I didn't stress you out by mentioning blanched coral! I only did so because you were thinking you didn't want a pure pink and I admit I'm not a Powder Puff fan.

I think the etsy curtains are to die for adorable and the glider will work with any of your three final colors, as well as the carpet. It's going to be a lovely nursery.
August 11, 2014 at 9:28AM     
37218
August 11, 2014 at 9:36AM   
37218
August 11, 2014 at 9:39AM   
37218
I apologize for the multiple glider posts, phone is working funny at work! Thank you everyone for all your advice! I cant wait to put it all together. Will share final pictures.
August 11, 2014 at 9:49AM     
Bwabbit Price
The tea rose looks very nice against the carpet colour without being too beige or bright pink. On the glider I would ask for a sample of the fabric. It might blend in with the carpet or turn out more tan than you expect. If not it looks like it would be very nice with pinks and whites.
August 11, 2014 at 11:56AM        Thanked by 37218
dooders1981
I like the Pink Ground. Before you paint can you raise the curtain rod, change it to something more substantial, feminine and fill the holes left but where it was hing too low? White curtains!
August 12, 2014 at 7:48PM     
cathyheggens
First, congrats on your baby girl. I have read all of the comments and I love pink. You didn't mention what the theme of the room is going to be. What are you adding to the room for the baby ( i.e. bears, dolls, stuffed animals, wall art, lamps, etc.?) If you look at all the photos that were so generously suggested for color, there is a contrasting color in all of the rooms. One person suggested you purchase the linens for the crib first. That is a great suggestion because you will find an accent color in the fabric. In the grown up girls room, from bluenan, you see several shades of pink, but look at the accent color. You will see gray and a small amount of black in the frames, and in the ottoman, even her dress is gray. There is also blue, lavender, green, and yellows in other pictures. I always liked cream, soft pale pink, and soft pale green together with the white. All of the shades of pink you chose are great. I think you are stressing yourself out too much over which shade of pink to use, when you can use several of them in the same room. I can imagine the very lightest pink on the ceiling with a white medallion around a very feminine chandelier type light, and white moulding around the ceiling. You already have a white closet door but, I can see putting a feminine design on the three panels of the doors. I would also paint the inside of the closet one of your brighter pinks or the accent color. Your glider, crib, and dresser are perfect. The bright accent pillow is going to look great with an afghan or soft blanket tossed over the back of the glider for those rainy snuggly days with your girl. The short wall to the left of the window can be an accent wall. White, cream, or the same lightest pink you use on the ceiling would work well. whatever you decorate the wall with will be the focal point. You can even wallpaper that accent wall. You can find wallpaper to match your curtains. Check out furniture stores where they have fabric swatches. I can imagine a large print in cream, white, and pink on that wall. Even if that is where you are putting the dresser. The furniture store can even have the curtains made for you to match the wall covering. They have very sheer fabrics as well as upholstery fabrics. I can't wait to see the room when it is finished. Good luck and just have fun with the colors, and especially with your daughter.
August 13, 2014 at 3:05AM   
lj8295
You could always do a single feature wall if you were worried about everything being too 'pink'.. Love your ideas though! White curtains sound great!
August 13, 2014 at 3:10AM   
croc2
Why use pink for the walls just because it's for a girl? It would be better to use the pink for the bedding and accents in the room, then as she grows, you can change her room to suit her likes. Try not to lock her in that pink is the only color for little girls. I think we Mom's have been taught that we should paint nursery rooms pink for girls and blue for boys, when those colors would be more soothing and comfortable if we use those colors as accents around the room. Too much of any one color is glaring and shocking to the senses and eyes.
Congratulations on you little girl! Enjoy her for who she is and is to become.
August 13, 2014 at 4:59AM     
RILEY KITCHEN AND BATH
I say pink ground. It seems to go nicely with your carpet, and it appears to be a very calm color. Please post some after shots!!!
August 13, 2014 at 5:56AM   
Nancy Rudolph
Congratulations! If you think choosing paint color is a job, you've elected to be the CEO of your daughter: Chief Educational Officer. That being said, choose a color that 1), looks good on you at 3 a.m. 2) choose a color that calms you down at 3 a.m. and 3) choose a color that can grow with her. We all think " Oh, we can just paint the room as she gets older." You'll be too busy with other important activities and painting her room AGAIN will take a back seat to looking at bugs in the back yard, putting bandaids on knees and hugs ' just because.'

P.S. We went the pink route with our first daughter - the entire Laura Ashley ( which I still love) theme. She now vows to never paint a daughters room pink. Sigh. You never know...
August 13, 2014 at 6:14AM     
Kriste Kalk_Ross
i am currently doing a pink nursery and i absolutely suggest picking out bedding and accessories FIRST, then the paint color. You will have a semi-hard time trying to find bedding in that peachy pink color. I can't remember off the top of my head the color we ended up going with but it matched exactly with Pantone Paint Barely Pink. Good luck!
August 13, 2014 at 6:33AM   
Fresh Quarters - Brooke L. Willmes Realty Team
This has been immensely helpful in deciding what color to paint my almost 3 year old's daughter's room. I already knew we were going 3/4ths of the way up the way only with the pink and leaving the rest of the wall an off-white. Yes, I chose the paint color as a mango with pink and pale green accents for her nursery and had we not put up a gift of Eric Carle "Brown Bear Brown Bear" decals that have since lifted the paint off the walls (so much for being easy to reposition/remove), we wouldn't be painting again in just 3 1/2 short years!

Now my daughter is a pinkaholic and I'm soooo not into pink. Not to mention, when we bought the house, the room was pepto-bismal pink and the thought of going pink again is giving me heart palpitations. But hooray! Pink Ground is beautiful, sophisticated and hopefully if we go with this one, we won't need to repaint for quite a few years.
August 13, 2014 at 6:53AM     
grandmanet
I like the idea of a soft cream for the curtains/sheers instead of white. I think Target has a great selection. Here's one that would be pretty with the warm/soft pinks you are planning to paint with: http://www.target.com/p/simply-shabby-chic-burnout-window-sheer/-/A-14865072#prodSlot=medium_1_19&term=sheer+curtains
August 13, 2014 at 7:18AM   
Anita Roll Murals
I really like the Pink Ground as well.
August 13, 2014 at 7:43AM   
beth9533
I know you have put a lot of time and energy into paint colors and it is getting late to introduce new ideas, but...take a look at these curtains and butterfly motif. I agree that it is easier to match the wall color to bedding or curtains. Otherwise you gravitate to white or cream, not the best colors for a growing child. Even adorable little girls make incredible messes!
http://www.ogotobuy.com/sweet-pink-butterfly-and-flower-printed-ecofriendly-curtains-two-panels-p-1988.html
August 13, 2014 at 7:56AM     
angelkins7
I agree with poster who said pick out bedding and curtains first. Even though you will change them when she's older, it's a good starting point. I also agree to stay on the warm side with pink ground or powder puff. (I think I prefer pink ground, but I'm not positive.) I would absolutely stay away from "cold" pinks like wild aster and pinkish in your first photo. "Refined pink" rooms are always a warmer pink, but not too close to peach!
August 13, 2014 at 8:05AM     
jannnnn
i like the tea rose and pink ground-
August 13, 2014 at 8:17AM     
hollywaterfall
I think I followed you on another post. Pink Ground is what I think will work best with the carpet and the pillow and all the white will be fine. However, do what YOU feel is right. Btw, it's only paint. The decorating is fun but your new baby girl will be the important part.
August 13, 2014 at 8:32AM     
diyer59
I'm with the women who said nix the pink! I love when I see other colors used for a baby girls room. Pink accents if you must, but let's step away from pink (often perceived as a 'weak' color). No carpeting in a child's bedroom--check out the chemical content of carpeting then understand why I'm saying that. None in adults bedrooms either, especially if prone to allergies or asthma.

If you're dead set on pink, do the most palest color.
August 13, 2014 at 8:44AM     
Roxann Piaseczny Williams
I recently came upon your posting. I actually love the stripes with all your considered colors against the carpet. Would you consider and accent wall using all your favorites in stripes?
August 13, 2014 at 8:51AM   
Color in Space Inc.
As professional color consultants, we want to offer HOW to make your decision. Not what decision to make.

As you showed in a number of photos, isolate swatches of the colors you are considering and place them vertically--like your wall--next to the carpet, your pink pillow, and any other accessories you are considering. Trust what you see IN PERSON IN NATURAL DAYLIGHT. When you notice that one of them looks "dirty," trust that. Yes, that is how it will appear when it is painted. DO NOT rely on photographs! Color is light reflected back to us. Photographs distort light conditions and capture only a part of the picture. Technology and computer monitors just exacerbate the color distortion. Painting multiple swatches of color in the middle of the wall will only confuse you. If you have a piece of art that will be a focal point, also hold the swatches of the colors you are considering in front of it and see how they react. Due to metamerism, color is not a static item. It fluctuates and changes in response to light and MORE IMPORTANTLY, in response to the relationships of the other colors present. If you have the fabric for the glider, curtains, bedding, also hold the swatches up to those. Trust how the different pinks look next to those items too. Look at the swatches in isolation--each as its own experience. If you are comparing them by looking at them together, you will not be getting an accurate read on each one. They will impact each others appearance. Hope this helps and have so much fun with your baby girl!
August 13, 2014 at 10:54AM     
Anita Roll Murals
This was a nursery I painted in greens and black but think done in your pinks would be really pretty with a white or pale grey crib and tree.
August 13, 2014 at 11:59AM     
shars55
Geez...I don't mean to be rude here, but the OP asked what color of pink to use, not whether to use pink or another color. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but just because some of you don't like pink, that doesn't mean she's not allowed to use it and that she needs to pick another color! @Anita Roll Murals, what a cute room!!!!!
August 13, 2014 at 1:03PM     
Anita Roll Murals
Thank you shar55! My painted tree is now available as a decal! This style room would be cute in many different colors and pinks would be very sweet.
August 13, 2014 at 1:23PM     
shars55
I'm way past the nursery stage but I'll have to remember this if I ever have any grandbabies.....although, I won't get to decorate the room, I'm sure. But I could make suggestions....lol! It's adorable, and I actually love the green.
August 13, 2014 at 1:30PM     
catherineryon
I would suggest you find the bedding you want to use or some fabric or piece of art you will use in the room and pick a color from that. Base your color choice on something you love that will be used in the room.
August 13, 2014 at 1:47PM   
37218
Thank you again everyone. I like the idea of picking bedding, but that's another dilemma... The crib has a drawer on the bottom, so no crib skirt. I also don't want crib bumpers. The baby won't use pillows or comforters for a while so that leaves me to the sheets and a blanket maybe?

I was thinking light colors for the bedding, white and pink.

Is it ok if i don't have another accent color in the room? There will be white, pink and cream/beige.

I've already decided the color on the walls will be a shade of pink, i like that look with white. I was also thinking some butterflies (a darker pink) on the walls. Do you recommend the adhesive ones?
August 13, 2014 at 3:44PM     
cathyheggens
I love the pink too. I just removed Dr Seuss sticky decals from my sons bedroom walls that have been on there awhile. They were there when we moved into the house. One left a sticky residue, which came off with Goo Gone, but the rest peeled off easily. Once you start bringing your furniture into the room and all the gifts for the baby, you will find that there may be a color that repeats itself in some items, like lamps, books, toys, etc. Your butterflies can be an accent color. You may not realize what that accent color is until you are done decorating. I never realized how much pink and blue I have collected over the years until I was packing to move to my current home. My favorite color is green but deep down I love everything that is pink and blue. If you use different shades of pink, the white can actually be your accent color too. It doesn't have to be a very dramatic color to be an accent. When it comes to the bedding, you will have several sets for changing after baby makes her messes. And there will be many messes! Get several white, pink, cream, and prints. After cleaning up messes at 3 a.m. several times you won't care what color the sheet is. You'll have to change it again in a few hours anyway. Save the very pretty ones for when friends and family come to visit. They will think you are a genious at decorating. Chill and bask in the glow of admiration.
August 13, 2014 at 4:50PM     
Brittany Lohnes
I love wild aster!!
August 13, 2014 at 5:00PM   
uberv
Why oh why do little girls need pink rooms of any shade?
August 13, 2014 at 5:10PM     
Anita Roll Murals
I would go with decals. The new ones are much easier to remove. Stencils are another option and www.cuttingedgestencils.com has great ones. I offer a few decals at my etsy store and also create custom designs at www.etsy.com/shop/AnitaRoll.
August 13, 2014 at 5:33PM     
Neryl Hollingsworth
I think Powder Puff looks pretty.
August 13, 2014 at 5:44PM   
Kriste Kalk_Ross
i too am not using bumpers but i did get a crib rail teething cover on etsy.com from cora's closet and it adds just a little something extra to the crib that is still safe! just FYI!
August 13, 2014 at 6:35PM     
37218
Thanks Anita, i will check it out!
August 13, 2014 at 7:11PM     
37218
Kriste, I had no idea about the teething cover. I love the idea. Will order! Thanks.
August 13, 2014 at 7:13PM     
lovefrappe
Even though the crib has a drawer, when the mattress is set at the highest /higher setting during the first 6 months or more, you will not like the look of the empty space between the mattress and the drawer. The mattress has several adjustments to make as your baby grows, starting at the highest setting until it makes it way down to the lowest setting. I did not have bumpers, pillows or a blanket with my kids - but that was my preference - I only had the bed skirt. I know some people who got the breathable bumpers so the arms/legs didn't get stuck in the slats.

Another option is to have a pink ceiling if you are worried about all 4 walls being pink. And you don't have to get eggshell, they do make washable paint by Benjamin Moore that is in between the flat and eggshell. It may be the eggshell finish throwing off the color sample on your wall. I haven't had to wash their bedroom walls (yet).

Good luck but don't stress. When they get to about 5-6 years old, they will start asking for their favorite color or character or princess theme - and out goes all this work.
August 13, 2014 at 7:34PM   
linjofulch
If the furniture is a true white then I would go with Wild Aster and white curtains. If you're leaning more towards ivory and the tan color of the rug that you mentioned, then I would suggest Powder Puff and ivory curtains. Good luck. The crib you are going to use makes a bold statement, IMO the canopy would be overkill, and something else to keep clean, which you'll have plenty of when your beautiful daughter arrives. I've attached a links of a predominately pink nursery. Hope this helps. http://www.houzz.com/pink-and-white-nursery

August 13, 2014 at 7:42PM   
lovefrappe
August 13, 2014 at 7:45PM     
cindygarner
Pink ground! Looks like cosmetic pink. Would go with all skin tones!
August 14, 2014 at 5:00AM   
JRH76
AM I the only one who thinks the decals look cheap? I'm not a fan. Go to Etsy and search for 3-D butterfly wall art. Pottery Barn has a beautiful paper butterfly mobile.
August 14, 2014 at 5:21AM     
Brandi Nash Hicks
BM I love you pink...pretty
August 14, 2014 at 5:39AM     
secondchildcath
If you don't want it to scream pink....try Benjamin Moore's Manhattan Tan or Bleeker Beige with light light cream woodwork and then accent with pale, pale pink. It looks great together...white crib and dresser will look very nice. A ceiling chandelier would be great! It will be soft, elegant and not pinky pink! Congratulations and good luck!
August 14, 2014 at 4:01PM     
lhburns
I vote for: Pink Ground but do whatever makes YOU happy!
As to a girl growing up in a pink room, what color room she grows up in isn't going to affect whether she's strong or not! How you raise her
does! Good luck and congrats!
August 14, 2014 at 5:58PM     
louisesarahmagda
Powder puff
August 15, 2014 at 12:09AM   
ruby12reader
Pink ground. What a lovely soft colour! Will go well with whites or other soft pastels.
August 15, 2014 at 8:16AM     
37218
I decided! Pink ground it is. I have not been in the nursery for a week, and now when i walked in my favorite color on the wall is pink ground. Such a sweet color. Im going to go buy the paint, SW has a sale!
August 15, 2014 at 4:07PM     
jannnnn
good choice!! Luv it!
August 15, 2014 at 4:52PM   
hallersmith
Definitely pink ground.
August 15, 2014 at 11:40PM   
Donald
I'd do white walls with the pink ceiling
August 16, 2014 at 3:32AM   
violeteve
I have 2 girls and neither have pink rooms! One has pale mint green and one has a powdery blue - both with antique white trims and white furniture, both look feminine. But nothing against pink, the pink ground with whites/ivory will be nice. Paint colours are hard...... Good luck! Ps don't forget a seat of some sort in your nursery for feeding. You can get some in amazing fabrics to tie in with your colour scheme and it doesn't have to be a nursing chair, a gorgeous single seater armchair would work.
August 16, 2014 at 3:56AM   
37218
Painted today... Pink Ground! Love the color, i think it will tone down once I add all the white furniture. Paint is still drying. In person itools more pink than in picture.
August 16, 2014 at 11:52AM     
springcath
So pretty and elegant!
August 16, 2014 at 12:04PM   
annie4285
Curtains - Pottery Barn Kids - Bouquet Sheer. Sheer curtains with small and just a few bits of pink.... Could let them hang or have cute holder to hold them open.
August 16, 2014 at 12:45PM      Thanked by 37218
bluenan
Yay to Pink Ground, it looks beautiful!
August 16, 2014 at 1:51PM      Thanked by 37218
ciscomo
Seconding bluenan and springcath......so pretty!!
August 16, 2014 at 2:00PM      Thanked by 37218
linjofulch
Such a soothing pink, and it works really well with the carpet.
August 16, 2014 at 5:21PM      Thanked by 37218
37218
I like these curtains...what do you think? The curtain rod is white wood and these curtains have metal grommets...do you think that will work together? Thanks. http://www.wayfair.com/Thermalogic-Anna-Panel-Set-of-2-70941-188-HQY1103.html
August 16, 2014 at 7:25PM     
cathyheggens
I don't think the metal grommets are very feminine. The fabric is pretty though.
August 16, 2014 at 10:25PM   
cathyheggens
These could work for a babies room.
August 16, 2014 at 10:41PM   
cathyheggens
This is from Wayfair also.
August 16, 2014 at 10:41PM   
Spapa Sting
Powder puff.
August 16, 2014 at 11:59PM   
hollywaterfall
Happy you decided. Congrats!
August 17, 2014 at 6:45AM   
mlou72
Wild aster
August 17, 2014 at 11:28AM   
angiedail
My daughters room is Possibly Pink, Ben Moore, I think. When my hubby was putting it up he kept saying 'you can't even see this- it looks white' But once it was done it is just the right amount of pink, it's a pink she can grow up with, the last thing you want is it to be too 'pepto' good luck!
August 17, 2014 at 12:05PM   
LineBox Studio
Powder puff.
August 17, 2014 at 12:32PM   
Marie
wild aster looks the most girly~
August 17, 2014 at 1:50PM   
Selina Kyle-Catwoman
Wild Aster
August 17, 2014 at 1:56PM   
ciscomo
Hi 37218, fwiw, I agree with cathyheggins. I think they would work with a white rod though, if YOU like them for the room.
August 17, 2014 at 2:06PM   
manolla
Aster pink
August 17, 2014 at 2:58PM   
37218
Moved the dresser in.... I love it!
August 17, 2014 at 4:50PM     
cathyheggens
Nice, you can dress up the
August 17, 2014 at 5:18PM   
cathyheggens
Sorry the dog just stepped on my keyboard. You can dress up the pink shade with ribbon and or lace.
August 17, 2014 at 5:24PM   
37218
Cathy, love the idea! Do i glue it on?
August 17, 2014 at 6:08PM   
shars55
I glued some trim on a couple of my lamp shades...I just used a little hot glue.
August 17, 2014 at 6:17PM   
cathyheggens
Yes, you can hot glue or use fabric glue. I like to use pretty crystals around the bottom edge. You can get them at any craft store or online at Michael's Crafts or Joann Fabric and Craft Store. The crystals are already on a ribbon ready to be glued or sewn on to your project. Since you have a glass jar lamp and what looks to be clear glass drawer pulls on the dresser, I thought the crystals would look pretty.
August 17, 2014 at 10:34PM     
37218
The lampshade is done, such a great feeling when u DIY! :) before and after pics. Now i just have to figure out what to fill it with.
August 18, 2014 at 2:56PM     
ciscomo
Baby teeth? Just kidding.

Lamp and dresser are darling!
August 18, 2014 at 3:05PM     
Teri Fronabarger
We are not afraid of pink at our house. My granddaughter picked this out for our girls room. Personally I like the Wild Aster with a little Pinkish
August 18, 2014 at 3:30PM     
Eileen
Maybe fill that lamp with wooden baby blocks?!
August 18, 2014 at 5:18PM     
bluebird0211
My eye is drawn to 'Tuffy'. What a fun and exciting project to be working on! Before you know it she will be here adding the final sparkle to the room.
August 18, 2014 at 11:37PM   
bluebird0211
I now see you have made your color choice and it is just beautiful! Your room is coming together!
August 18, 2014 at 11:40PM     
cathyheggens
Your lamp turned out beautiful. Here is an idea you may like to fill it with. Where did you get your lamp?
August 19, 2014 at 12:54AM     
cathyheggens
I found these gems on save-on-crafts.com.
August 19, 2014 at 12:56AM   
angelasofia_la
Pink ground seems more elegant to me. Congratulations on your baby girl! :)
August 19, 2014 at 3:31AM   
37218
Cathy, lamp is from Home Goods, a friend gave it as a gift. I was also thinking baby blocks with her name spelled out. I found some on etsy, but we dont have the name yet :).
August 19, 2014 at 8:38AM   
cathyheggens
I like that idea of using blocks. If the blocks don't fit or lay just right, so you can see the name, you can always put the blocks on a shelf. I have seen that done and it looks cute.
August 19, 2014 at 3:55PM   
hollywaterfall
You could always put up the names you are thinking of and we could help decide that with you too. :) j/k (It's WAY too personal a thing imo to let the internet decide).
August 19, 2014 at 4:05PM   
Ann
Beautiful paint color!
August 19, 2014 at 4:15PM     
37218
Hollywaterfall, im ok with sharing the names because I am down to 3 and I cant decide. I was just talking about this with my co-workers!

Olivia
Giuliana
Natalia

Feel free to "vote" your favorite
August 20, 2014 at 9:16AM     
shars55
They are all beautiful names! You will know when you see her for the first time which one will be perfect!
August 20, 2014 at 9:19AM        Thanked by 37218
Natalie
Natalia - of course. :)
August 20, 2014 at 9:21AM     
37218
so no baby blocks until then :)
August 20, 2014 at 9:22AM   
Rider66
You could get lia blocks
August 20, 2014 at 10:39AM     
cathyheggens
Olivia. But it's weird voting for a name when it is such a personal thing.
August 20, 2014 at 6:54PM     
37218
Cathy, it will still be our decision, I just like to hear what people think of the names.
August 20, 2014 at 7:37PM   
Nancy Walton
It would depend on the last name.
August 21, 2014 at 12:25AM   
Toks Aruoture
Powder puff or pink ground for classy elegant as it looks a bit dusty. Truth is it depends on how much light comes into the room- have a look at different times of the day.
August 21, 2014 at 1:42AM   
wiepje
wilde aster
August 21, 2014 at 8:28AM   
hollywaterfall
:P 37218, they are all beautiful names. My own daughter is Natalie named after my grandmother Natalia but I also like Olivia. I prefer Juliana with a J and I think the G is much more "italian" and not as commonly used anymore.
August 21, 2014 at 9:03AM   
goodewyfe
All great names. As far as the color, I love the Nursery 1 & 2 photos posted by Natalie. I would ask the decorator who did that nursery what color she used.
August 22, 2014 at 2:12PM   
37218
Crib is here!! I love the color of the wall with the furniture.
August 22, 2014 at 6:49PM     
shars55
Adorable crib!!
August 22, 2014 at 6:53PM     
hollywaterfall
Lovely! That picture really showcases how the paint matches the carpet. Well done!
August 23, 2014 at 8:12AM   
37218
More progress... And I'm loving it! I recommend pink ground to everyone. Found gorgeous flower embedded curtains at ikea for a steal price! Still have to make them a bit shorter.
August 23, 2014 at 3:45PM     
Nancy Walton
Why don't you just raise the rod the needed amount? Looks like you have plenty of room.
August 23, 2014 at 4:05PM     
Natalie
Yes-Nancy is right-hang'em higher... The sample pic shows them a bit on the floor-hmmm. The room looks Great thus far...
]
August 23, 2014 at 4:27PM     
37218
They are 10" too long
August 23, 2014 at 4:32PM   
cathyheggens
You can also blouse them out at the tie backs. The ten inches should be just enough length for that.
August 23, 2014 at 8:31PM     
cathyheggens
How is the nursery coming along? I haven't seen any pictures lately.
September 3, 2014 at 10:15PM   
Eskandari Stone
I like wild aster paint color.
September 3, 2014 at 11:48PM   
kmkane
you could add snails and puppy dog tails to the lamp jar....

Or something else not predictably girl-like. You know, just to give the kid a different perspective.

Cute dresser! Enjoy your precious wonder xoxoxoxox I
September 4, 2014 at 12:40AM     
37218
Cathy, no update on the nursery. We have not done anything else. I ordered the wall decals, designed like the attached drawing. Will post pic once we put them up. We have a french provincial mirror that we have to sand down and paint white and still have to hem the curtains. Baby is due January, we still have some time but I hate doing things last minute. We also plan on remodeling the bathroom that baby girl will be using. It's outdated.
September 5, 2014 at 7:57PM   
cathyheggens
How exciting. My birthday is in January too. Not that that matters to you, but, just sayin. I like the idea of the butterflies. I found these butterfly and flower battery operated lights that hang on the corners of the door or on the wall, and I thought about you. I ordered them for myself for in my bathroom. I think they will make nice night lights. I have a small picture of flowers with butterflies that I will use in the bathroom too. We are redoing the bathroom this month. I haven't received the corner butterflies yet. I'll take a picture when they get here and send it to you. Did you design the decals yourself? They are going to look so cute.
September 6, 2014 at 7:29AM   
37218
Wall decals from Etsy.
last Friday at 5:05PM     
37218
Another dilemma... I bought this french provincial mirror for the nursery. I have to paint it white and was planning to hang it on the wall above the dresser. But now that the room is filling in with furniture and everything else, i dont know if I still like having a big mirror over the dresser. It's either the mirror or 2 - 3 staggered shelves for books, piggy bank, picture frame, etc. Any suggestions? Thank you!
last Friday at 5:19PM     
37218
I could always use the mirror for the bathroom we plan to redo, paint it silver.
last Friday at 5:21PM   
Kimmydcollections
Pink Ground.....
it has the right shade to work with both; antiques and classy...(sophisticated)
last Friday at 5:29PM   
37218
Kimmy, pink ground i chose! Thanks
last Friday at 5:41PM   
cathyheggens
Hi, It's nice to see a face put to this project. I would keep the mirror for so many reasons. Don't second guess yourself and your choices. Your doing a great job decorating your baby's room. I really like the mirror. It will reflect more light into the room, making it more cheery, and what little girl doesn't want a mirror to admire herself in. I can picture her as a little girl brushing her hair and putting on ribbons. Babies like to look in the mirror too. There should be plenty of room on the walls to put shelves and art work, etc.
last Friday at 8:28PM     
Nancy Walton
You could use the top of the dresser as a changing table. Just buy the pad that has the curved sides and a belly strap, get a basket that has sections, spray paint it pink and put your baby powder, Q-tips, nasal syringe, wipes and diapers in it
last Friday at 10:26PM     
37218
Nancy, that's what I was planning. The lamp wont probably fit on the dresser anymore.
last Saturday at 5:23AM   
hollywaterfall
Love the mirror but shelves somewhere are more useful. Do you have a bookshelf planned or just a basket of books on the floor? Oh and I'm sure you know this but it's also a good idea to attach heavy furniture to the wall (they make bookshelf strap things).That way baby can't pull it down on top of itself and get hurt.
last Saturday at 10:06AM   
Need paint ideas for our baby girl's nursery
We've decided on our theme and have purchased several...
Need help with color choices for the baby girl's nursery
We want to do a nursery for our baby girl in minty...
Need help matching a paint color for new baby's nursery!
We're expecting our 2nd child and deciding not to find...
Need paint color advice for baby nursery
My husband is going to paint our baby room this weekend...
patterned rug vs. plain
I am slowly getting my house back together after having...
Toddler's bedroom
I want to convert this bedroom into my daughters room....
kitchen wood compatibility
I am renovating my kitchen. I like the classic look;...