Home Depot cabinet refacing
janeco5August 8, 2014
Getting ready to finally update kitchen that has cabinets from the 70s -- 60 linear feet. Have tons of cabinet space. Any one have any experience with Home Depot's refacing? After specials/discounts was quoted $20,450, which seems a bit high. This includes new drawers (12), 28 cabinet doors, refinishing of frames, new hardware, etc. Please weigh in with thought/ideas.
janeco5
Forgot to mention the Shaker style fronts are maple and it's 31 cabinet doors and 13 drawers.
    Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 1:56PM
gkmacc63
I think your right. That's about 350.00 a foot. I would do some shopping around.
    Bookmark   Thanked by janeco5    August 8, 2014 at 3:22PM
River Valley Cabinet Works
$20,450...for a REFACE? That does seem high. Got any pics?
    Bookmark   Thanked by janeco5    August 8, 2014 at 3:37PM
fineselects
It's quite a while back when we refaced our kitchen. Home Depot outsources this type of work, they don't do it themselves. Our cabinets were in good shape, we only wanted new cabinet doors, drawer fronts and refacing of the panels etc. They quoted around $18,000 which was way over our budget. Being a handyman myself, I took the courage of doing it myself, which in the end cost me around $5300. I went directly to cabinet makers and ordered the shaker style doors and paneling etc. Took me a week to finish it myself. I even changed the kitchen layout a bit too.
I had around 22 cabinet doors (not maple), 18 drawers, 3 sheets of paneling 4 x 8 ft and crown molding.
Go directly to suppliers.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by janeco5    August 8, 2014 at 4:13PM
Refacing is better with a kitchen from the 70's if you have a good layout - the boxes are higher quality than you can get now. Look at local refacers before you decide. Unless you are a pro, I wouldn't DIY a reface and I'm a contractor . . this is finish carpentry plus . but I agree that they are often high and think you may get better bids from a local refacer. You do have a large kitchen, and wood prices have risen a lot since the down turn.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by janeco5    August 8, 2014 at 4:20PM
Monarch Sofas
shop around !! that sounds high ! xoxo eva @ monarchsofas.com
    Bookmark   Thanked by janeco5    August 8, 2014 at 4:20PM
Cancork Floor Inc.
Shop around. Home Depot is great for cans of paint and garden hose but $20,000 is a serious money. I would take your details to cabinet makers and find out what they can do for the same price.

I know many cabinet makers can run circles around HD when it comes to options, price, services and warranty. Purchase your cabinets from cabinet makers...buy your paint from HD.

I and many, many professionals on this forum have had our products ruined by the advice given from HD. There are many horror stories about HD kitchen services. Google them. It is a real eye opener.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by janeco5    August 8, 2014 at 4:37PM
Harmoni Designs, LLC
Sounds very high for that number of cabinets. Try a small local woodworking shop. Home Depot can be okay for standard simple stuff, but anything other than that, they are not competitive on price or quality.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by janeco5    August 8, 2014 at 4:43PM
adivra
I was quoted that for a much smaller space by local contractors. I went custom for not much more.
    Bookmark   Thanked by janeco5    August 8, 2014 at 9:41PM
sambabam
Honestly that's really not bad for the amount of linear foot age. Especially since its a 3 day install and backed by HD. We had ours refaced and are extremely happy with the results from HD. The craftsman are phenomenal
    Bookmark   Thanked by janeco5    August 9, 2014 at 7:01AM
sambabam
You can get them refaced maybe a little cheaper but just wait until that company goes out of business. HD isn't going anywhere.
    Bookmark   Thanked by janeco5    August 9, 2014 at 7:02AM
georgianne4
We found a contractor online. I googled cabinet refacing. Service master came up. We called him, he gave us an estimate. E does a glazing process, removes cabinets, finishes Altis sop. We were so pleased that we hired him to redo the rest of the house. We were very fortunate. Check it out.
    Bookmark   Thanked by janeco5    August 9, 2014 at 7:13AM
To reface or completely redo our kitchen cabinets
We want to refresh our kitchen and it seems that a...
biffbunk
Guestimate on cost of cabinet reface
On line cabinet maker estimate for 20 Shaker maple...
nmsh07
kitchen cabinets at home depot!
Hi all, i'm looking into a white or cream cabinets...
Kachana Bau
need help with refacing kitchen cabinets
Not sure if I have inset cabinets? Cabinets are to...
barb0608
brighten a dark paneled living room
We have a 50's house with a long dark panels living...
marysamb
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Backsplash help please!
Any suggestions on backsplash?? We really love subway...
connorberry
Need the right rug
I'm struggling with finding the right rug without bringing...
02131960
Ideas needed for this wall!
Hi, we are in the process of remodeling this wall with...
lwellford