Guest room disaster!
Gwen H
This is the one room in our house we have not touched since moving in. I don't know where to start! New bedding first? Suggestions please :-)
flair lighting
i would start with a theme, a budget and find some art work that has some accent colors
5 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 2:17PM
flair lighting
oh and pictures of the whole room from multi angles.
2 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 2:17PM
Lynne Lawson's Decorating Den Interiors
Find an inspiration item. New bedding is a good start. Draw colors and styles from that item or bedding and refer to them when purchasing furniture and selecting paint.
9 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 2:24PM
Decorilla | Design a Room Online
I would start with a budget and then select furniture pieces as they are the most expensive. As Lynne said, find an inspiration piece and photos you are drawn to and are geared to what you would like the room to look like. Also, pictures of the entire room would be helpful.
3 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 2:38PM
S&A Decor
what colors do u want it to be in? brown, blue, red. etc
one thing i can see from that picture is that your curtains are way too short
1 Like   August 8, 2014 at 3:16PM
abbyjean
Go shopping and find the comforter and then you will be able to continue with the room. It will help you choose the art, accent pillows and maybe even new wall color....just depends on what you choose.

Just want to mention, too, that it is super easy to make headboards with wood, glue and fabric. That will be an instant update to your room, too.
2 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 3:25PM
cctuttle
Agree we need more information to really help you. How will the room be used? What style do you like for this room? How do you want the room to feel? Answer these questions for yourself before you shop. Gather inspiration pictures as others have suggested to help with answers.
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 3:34PM
samiam1611
get a new comforter set or bed in a bag (don't forget a bed skirt, they look so nice.) and a new lamp with a pretty lampshade that matches the bedding. If you download the Cartwheel app, you can get 20% off lamps at Target right now.
1 Like   August 8, 2014 at 4:12PM
Gwen H
Other views of the room. I think the furniture is awful but it isn't in our budget to buy new. I'd like to paint it white or black and update the knobs. Thanks for the target info for lamps I'll check it out! The room is a very pale green so I'll probably stick in the blue/green family or maybe just a black and white theme. I'll post a few pictures of possible comforters soon
1 Like   August 8, 2014 at 4:39PM
Gwen H
This will only be used for a guest bedroom. And we use the dressers for extra storage for linens and things
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 4:40PM
nwduck
Hi Gwen! I took a look at your ideabook on bedrooms, and think there's one with "possibilities" to do a budget take-off from. It's the blue/white/sand colored one (Niche Interiors). I think I might approach it this way: 1) Paint the walls pale blue. 2) Find a "sand" colored bedskirt (on sale, for sure...maybe one with a little texture) that goes with the furniture color. Do nice white sheets (sateen finish is my absolute fave), pillowcases, duvet cover, and pick up accent pillows in a darker version of the sand/darker color/blue. Looks like you already have a cute blue one. 3) Paint the hardware on the furniture white. Do you have the missing hardware from the 2 drawers on the dresser? If not, just replace it with something simple. Not everything has to match. Paint the feet white. 4) Find white lamps similar to your inspiration photo 5) Ditto on the drapes. Hang the rod high, like the picture, with drapes to the floor. 6) Use the blue art, except paint out the frame in a darker sand color rather than black. 7) Find a discount mirror (white frame?) with some character to put where you have "the leaner". 8) Pick up some neat baskets to use to collect stuff, or just leave empty 9) A blue/white/sand rug would work beside the bed. 10) Find a cute alarm clock to put on the nightstand.
12 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 4:59PM
abbyjean
GREAT idea to paint it black and get new hardware. Green is a great color and you should be able to find some bedding to go with it. Black and white and green make an awesome combo.
2 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 5:01PM
Gwen H
Would this be crazy - to paint the furniture blue (like the color in the picture) and add silver hardware. And buy simple white bedding? What if I move the picture that is over the tall dresser over the headboard?
2 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 7:02PM
Gwen H
Or this
11 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 7:06PM
nwduck
Funny you should say that. One of the things I thought about saying would be to paint the drawers blue, and the open bits of the headboard. Didn't know how much work you wanted to put into the furniture, to be honest, or how hard it would be to paint over the existing surface of the furniture. If you look at your ideabook bedroom pictures, Gwen, just about all of them have white bedding...seems that is something you really like.
3 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 7:09PM
abbyjean
What color would the walls be with your plan?
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 8:29PM
abbyjean
Not sure about the picture over your bed. It needs to be low enough for the bed and then I am not sure what it would look like with the window.
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 8:30PM
Natalie
Pic for color inspiration... I think the furniture looks fine-painting it will take awhile. Keep it simple and soothing... Good Luck!
]
5 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 10:27PM
MarleneM
Hi Gwen,
Painted furniture would be nice in your room with white bedding. Here is an inspiration pic that you could easily mimic. The headboard in this photo is more elaborate, but I would suggest keeping it simple with blue dressers and keeping your headboard neutral or a grey/green and then blue shams.

3 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 10:31PM
sacapuntaslapioz
Gwen there are so many possibilities in that bedroom. Go with white bedding and paint your furniture as in your idea with blue drawers and white frames. Have you tried putting the bed under the window? I would do that and paint the walls in a warm white, then get heavy silk or velvet drapes. A nice chair in the salvation army or flea market, painted would be very nice.
[houzz=It's Great To Be Home - Cozy Master Bedroom] then another source to try for cheap lamps is lampplusopenbox (I am not associated with them, just bought 2 houses of lamps there).
One thing you have that is less that charming is the headboard. if your budget allows it, it try one at ikea. if your budget is not that big, try painting it a very shocking color, such as magenta or dark teal and use 2 clamp lamps on it. find another small table to use as night table a nice idea is to choose a small desk (ikea has 2 very pretty that (I think hemmnes is one), y since most guests now come with laptops.I love the 2 mirrors in the picture bellow. [houzz=Portfolio Photographs][houzz=Beneath My Heart]. then get some art at flea markets of home goods, world market, etc. target and jcpenney are also good sources of nice items. then maybe think about a rug. a good source for them is overstock, home goods, target.
4 Likes   August 9, 2014 at 5:21AM
Hand Painted Wallpaper of good price - Yrmural
budget,color and furniture.
0 Likes   August 9, 2014 at 5:24AM
Suggest something like this pillows for inspiration. Your bed looks off white, so keep that in mind.
If you went with this pillow, painted your walls this warm soft brown and accented with the third color for lamps, I think the room would look great.

Lily Silk Pillow Cover, Gray Color

BEHR® Paint Color Brown Teepee 700D-4

Mae Long Neck Ceramic 1-light Yellow Table Lamps (Set of 2)
2 Likes   August 9, 2014 at 5:33AM
cctuttle
Love the blue and orange room above. Agree with putting the bed under the window. Placed there the bed becomes what it should be - the focal point of the room opposite the entry door as in the pic above. The pic of the dresser painted blue and white is lovely... however part of the charm of the dresser in the pic is that the blue drawers are outlined in white. Your dresser drawers lack the trim that makes an edge to paint inside so likely will not look like the inspiration pic. Also because they are similar to each other but not alike consider unifying them by painting them all the same color - white as in the pic above would be nice. Do you NEED both dressers for storage in the room?? One or the other would be better than both. Hang the mirror that is leaning above the dresser and punch it up with a frame. Padded headboards are fairly easy to make which would be a nice contrast with all the other wood pieces. Love the painting just the way it is and think it should be your color inspiration. Like NWDuck;s suggetion to bring in baskets which bring in needed texture. A lot depends on what FEEL you want the room to have - serene? fun? dramatic? You tell us...
1 Like   August 9, 2014 at 8:03AM
Gwen H
If I move the bed under the window - should I change where my other two dressers are??
0 Likes   August 9, 2014 at 7:34PM
cctuttle
move the low dresser to the wall where the bed is now. The other one might stay where it is if space allows. Posting a floor plan with dimensions would help...
0 Likes   August 9, 2014 at 7:52PM
squarepeg23
I find the guest bedroom should give the guest some of the flavor of the region they are staying in. I have also used a travel theme. Start with a jumping off point; photos and books from the area; vintage suitcases stacked in the corner...
it should be about guest comfort. Stay in the room for a night and see how you feel. Provide an outlet strip tucked away for recharging electronics or a space to work on a laptop. Definately put in a mirror especially if the room doesn't have an en suite.
0 Likes   August 10, 2014 at 7:29AM
alilu
You have gotten alot of very good suggestions; now I will add my two cents. Painted furniture can look really good and it can turn out looking really bad, just go on craigslist and look at furniture people are selling that they painted. Yea. It takes ALOT OF HARWORK to get that look you're after and if that's something you do on a regular basis and have become an expert, well go for it. If not, I would advise you spend your dollars and time painting the walls, picture and mirror frames, even thrifted lamps take a coat of spray paint great. Actually I really like your furniture, it's got a mid-century vibe going on. I'm guessing it's the yellowish color you're not digging, so when your choose your colors, make sure it tones down that yellow cast, ie whites and brights are going to make it look realy dirty. Good luck and please, post pictures when you're done. A guest bedroom is a wonderful room to have!
1 Like   August 10, 2014 at 7:33AM
ChickieD
How about using a headboard slipcover? Then you don't have to DIY it and you can pick a pretty fabric that works with the theme. Just buy a shape that works with what you already have. Inexpensive, too:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A1055398%2Ck%3Aheadboard%20slipcover
2 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 6:23AM
ChickieD
and here's a no-sew diy option on that - not so keen on the dropcloth but you could use the glue gun idea:
http://diyfunideas.com/easy-no-sew-diy-headboard-slipcover-with-drop-cloth-rosettes-thrifty-bedroom-update/
1 Like   August 11, 2014 at 6:28AM
Gwen H
Starting to sand
2 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 12:58PM
Gwen H
Starting to sand
1 Like   August 11, 2014 at 1:43PM
abbyjean
You go, girl! Keep posting progress as we love it!!!
1 Like   August 11, 2014 at 3:31PM
Gwen H
Today's very messy progress! :-)
4 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 6:58PM
abbyjean
This is the part that is never any fun, but once that paint starts going on....ohh la la!
1 Like   August 11, 2014 at 7:14PM
nwduck
Whoa! Good progress! What color did you decide to do on the furniture?
0 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 7:15PM
Gwen H
For now my plan is today paint everything white and paint the drawers blue. Buy some sheer curtains and a white comforter and sheets. I'd like to add a few yellow or orange accents in new lamps or pillows etc
3 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 7:39PM
Gwen H
What should I do with the walls? This is the only art I have right now
1 Like   August 11, 2014 at 8:22PM
abbyjean
Yellow accents will be soooo pretty in this new room you are making. That art is a good inspiration piece for you. You will also have a mirror, right? Those are two major pieces. Maybe wait until the room gets all put together, step back and then see what more you want and where it will go so you know what size to think about.
1 Like   August 11, 2014 at 8:28PM
nwduck
No need for lots of art in a guest room, I think. Your picture and a more interesting framed mirror...a few accessories (area rug at the end of the bed if you move its location)...and you're good to go.
0 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 9:05PM
66730
I have good luck with the new chalk paint by be given Moore about 20$/pint but easy to use and goes a long way. Paint the furniture, even can buy canvas and paint matching abstract for wall with chalk paint and a few acrylic craft paints. Then new bedding or lots of coloured pillows
0 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 5:22AM
66730
Auto correct got me. Chalk paint is by Bengimen Moore. And NO sanding necessary
0 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 5:26AM
Gwen H
I went to target and found other options too... I'm between a black/white room with yellow accents or white/blue with yellow.
0 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 6:48AM
Gwen H
Because I LOVE this
2 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 6:50AM
abbyjean
I love Target! And I am no help with the color choices as I love both of your ideas! Just be sure the lamp is tall enough. The one in your first pic is a pretty good height and anything smaller will work on the dresser???
0 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 7:26AM
Shannon Olden
you can't go wrong with white bedding and dressers. add in colour with a bedrunner and a few cushions. google: Mosaique de Mer Bed Runner & Pillow Shams Pattern that way you can change it up in a few years at a low cost.
0 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 8:07AM
cctuttle
Looking again at your dressers to make sure... and they do not have 'dresser' in between all the drawers so keep in mind that two tone is not going to look the same as your inspiration pic. I would not recommend black white and bright yellow for a color scheme. You will be much happier with black white and aqua OR blue white and yellow
3 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 10:48AM
gailretske
Hi Gwen. First of all, I LOVE Houzz and all the wonderful people willing to help we, who are decorating challenged! Not sure that's worded properly, but you get the idea :) Gwen, I am in the middle of decorating two bedrooms so I feel your pain. I have made some mistakes that I'm going to pass along. I bought a white duvet and hate it! It wasn't cheap but the inside bunches up. I just bought (on sale at Macys online) a white comforter. I think linens are WAY overpriced but Macys has great online sales (better than in the store). I didn't think my pillows had any zip so just bought black & white. Be careful not to buy them too small. I bought 4 shams (2 black & white, then 2 smaller all white), 2 -20 X 20 all black and now deciding whether to get a bold smaller yellow to finish it off. Lots of pillows but my husband makes the bed so I don't have to deal with them :) For guest room I looked on Houzz and took their suggestion to have big enough side table for guest to put glass of water, maybe glasses and a book. Also put a bench (cheap at Target) so they could sit to put shoes on and off. Have fun with it!
0 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 3:31AM
Deb Mac
Exit existing headboard. Find bedding you love. You can either paint the dresser or remove it as well if you don't need it (as you guests won't). Choose a colour for the wall to co-ordinate with bedding. Then take you time to accessorize with furniture pieces,pictures & lamps "that ask to go home with you".
0 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 6:06AM
Leslie Loges
Love the black and white with yellow accents. I think that's a great, fun option. And I'd even think you can leave the walls the pale green they are. It's a good color and works as a neutral so I think it'd be a great backdrop for black/white/yellow, especially as yellow is related. The walls in our main living area are a light green (Sherwin Williams Shagreen), all the trim is white, and the majority of our furniture is dark slate/gray. Yellow would've been a great accent color. My accent color ended up being a bright teal. :D I literally have a teal accent wall in the entryway. It's so rich. (Excuse the mess in these photos -- one is from move in, one is from when we were redoing the floors.)
1 Like   August 13, 2014 at 7:50AM
Amy Zirkle
What a great space with lots of potential. I love the beautiful wood floors. Some current bedding and longer panels on the window will help. also play with the bed placement maybe on the alternate wall so you see the bed as the focal point of the room when you walk in. Starburst mirrors are always great over the bed. and a nice comfy chair is a good bet in a guest room I also love the storage ottomans or benches at the end of the bed. That works great if your guest has a suitcase or bag. I always try to leave some closer space for guests , leave pretty lush linens and blankets to optimize comfort. I just painted my guest bath Teal Ice (Behr) It is an amazing a soothing color but I'd find the comforter first. Much easier to match paint to bedding than bedding to paint.
0 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 8:22AM
Amy Zirkle
Teal Ice Behr
1 Like   August 13, 2014 at 8:25AM
erinsean
All will be nice when you get done but please don't use the headboard that you have....even painted it will look dated to me....look for a nice or not so nice wooden headboard and paint it like your furniture.
0 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 10:29AM
Denise Marchand
A guest room is so fun to put together as we are not personally invested in every last detail. I love what you are doing and the art is perfect. I'm with everyone about putting the bed under the window, the low long dresser where the headboard is now (the common wall to the entrance door) and the tall dresser across from the bed. To keep the room calm, paint the furniture one color: white or black. Black furniture, white bedding, pale green walls, yellow and lime-citron green accents. The room should function as a perfect tight hotel room: add a small desk and chair on the right of the bed, add a small upholstered chair near the closet door. White crisp bedding is a joy, then you can add all the color accents you like in the area rug, pillows, extra throws.

My best friend always has the absolutely most wonderful guest room. Here is the thought and attention she provides, which are simple and very much appreciated:
- Spritz the room with a soft fragrance
- A tray with a small vase of fresh flowers, fragrant candle, bottled water, some late night snacks, a pen, small pad and alarm clock
- Towels, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, packet of pain reliever (travel size)
- Extra blanket and extra sleeping pillows ( a bin under the bed can store this nicely)
- Current best seller book and a magazine
- Good low lighting and a night light
- A desk chair and small lounge chair
- And most important: a cable connection to hook up a laptop and a easy to reach extension cord
3 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 12:54PM
Denise Marchand
Paint your existing headboard the robin's egg blue you want to add to the room!
1 Like   August 13, 2014 at 12:57PM
abbyjean
Stonegable blog....one of my favorites......did a thread on what a guest room needs. GOOD reading with pics, too!
0 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 1:23PM
ohrelax
Amy, love your soft teal painted walls (a great color for my black & white tiled bathroom :O).) Thanks so much for posting!
1 Like   August 13, 2014 at 1:52PM
Marly
Need some height! Everything is roughly the same level visually. Maybe a tall floor lamp, or some shelves along the walls, or a piece of art over the bed.
3 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 5:33PM
Gwen H
Thank you everyone for the advice so far!!
4 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 6:12PM
abbyjean
You sure pooped the puppy out! How about you???
0 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 6:32PM
craljh
I love the dog !!
0 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 6:47PM
claire1231
Just did my guest room!
10 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 8:02PM
abbyjean
Very welcoming, claire!
2 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 8:04PM
linjofulch
In such a cozy space, less is more. You might consider removing the headboard, placing the bed under the window with a bamboo shade in the window and longer sheer drapes to frame the bed. I would choose the chest and remove the other dresser from the room. If paint is in the budget, try a bolder color on the walls, maybe that blue you like? White trim throughout. Use some decorative pillows on the bed, white or very light sheets, layers of quilting including a white duvet and blue quilt or throw. A small stool as a bedside table, one lamp with a funky patterned shade. Buy an inexpensive replacement for the mirror and hang it on a wall, with other smaller colorful framed art around it. Finish with a bright area rug that ties all of the colors together, and maybe a small chair. Have fun with it, after all you won't be sleeping in it every night :-)
2 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 8:45PM
madilyngreiner
I recently redid my guest room also. I found a lot of really cute vases. pictures, curtains, etc at local thrift stores like the Salvation Army or Goodwill. They also have nice furniture on the cheap. I ended up spending A LOT less than I would have at Pier One etc. Look for sales of the day. Things are often 50% off or there may be "student" or "senior citizen" day etc. I like to shop in "nicer" geographic areas as I find they have the better stuff. The best part is that you are giving a home to something that might have been thrown out otherwise, you are helping the charity as all money goes towards that cause, you are saving the environment from loading up landfills and you are saving money! I found baskets for $1 each that I filled with toiletries and towels, magazines etc. to keep the guests comfy. Don't be afraid to paint furniture, kleenex boxes, baskets, picture frames to suit your taste. I use the $1 small craft paints for small projects like these. Cheap spray paint also works. A sample jar of regular paint for $3 can do a small end table or those drawers you want to make blue. You will be surprised how far a small amount of paint goes! For cheap artwork on walls you can buy frames at the thrift store, paint them and put them around pretty scrapbook paper. I use this to create a gallery wall with many patterns of paper in complimenting colors. The last one I did cost me $1 each for 4 frames of 8 x 10 size and 79 cents each for the scrap book paper. I also sometimes use the scrapbook paper to line dresser drawers or I even Modge Podge it on the drawer fronts if it has a cool graphic patter. I just did a dresser like this for my daughter. You would be surprised what you can do with scrapbook paper! Good luck!
2 Likes   August 14, 2014 at 6:44PM
Gwen H
Rearranged furniture. Have to take a break for family time this weekend but hope to get the rest of the priming/painting done next week! I ordered floor length white curtains, and a white comforter/sheets. I took the suggestions on furniture placement and rearranged, what do you think?
4 Likes   August 16, 2014 at 10:16AM
abbyjean
Very nice! In fact, if you were in to shabby chic, that dresser might look darn nice as is with some fun knobs on it!!!
0 Likes   August 16, 2014 at 10:32AM
cctuttle
Great progress! I too think you are almost at shabby chic!! For fun knobs try Hobby Lobby... Like the bed by the window too. Maybe others have said this but with the bed by the widow use a rod that will allow the curtains to extend at least 12" past the window frame. Place it 8 - 12" above the window frame. Allow the drapery panels to hang on either side of the headboard clear to the floor. Speaking of the headboard think that one is perfect for in front of the window.
1 Like   August 16, 2014 at 10:39AM
Amy Zirkle
Your dog looks exhausted from all the decorating, and think he needs to play. lol. my cat loves when I rearrange. It is like and adventure
0 Likes   August 16, 2014 at 3:44PM
Denise Marchand
Love the set up of the furniture. This is going to be so cute, your guests are never going to leave!
0 Likes   August 16, 2014 at 5:11PM
sooneralumom
I agree with Decorilla to choose style and furniture first. The style of bedding will be somewhat dictated by the headboard and furniture style.
0 Likes   August 16, 2014 at 5:17PM
linjofulch
Thanks for posting your progress. The new arrangement looks so nice. It's always fun to change things, I can't wait to see the new finishes on the furniture.
0 Likes   August 16, 2014 at 5:19PM
Gwen H
Back at it again :-) 90% of the priming done. Forgot about this chair I had - will add it somewhere in the room
3 Likes   August 20, 2014 at 1:03PM
Gwen H
Blue on the drawers!! I found these two art pieces In a closet. I was thinking about putting them on the wall one on each side of the window?
1 Like   August 20, 2014 at 2:58PM
Denise Marchand
Your pup is so happy you are doing his room!
I would like to see the tall dresser across from the foot of the bed, as it looks too high next to the bed and probably off scale with the window. Try the low dresser on the entrance door wall. (A full length mirror on the back of the door). Pull the headboard away from the window alittle so that the curtains have room and don't looked smashed.

When you enter the room, you will be looking at the far corner. This is the place that should have a charming setting: The wonderful chair, floor lamp, small table, and the art pieces (hung together) behind. (I keep changing my mind about the art: put the two art pieces over the low dresser and use the black and blue art behind the chair) The nice thing about furniture and furnishings is that they are moveable! Here are some pics:
1 Like   August 20, 2014 at 6:12PM
abbyjean
Nice art you found, but two small for the sides of the window. They need to be together on a smaller wall.
0 Likes   August 20, 2014 at 6:29PM
Gwen H
Progress!
7 Likes   August 21, 2014 at 3:43PM
nwduck
Those look great!
1 Like   August 21, 2014 at 3:47PM
abbyjean
Definite progress! Gosh, I love the blue you chose!
1 Like   August 21, 2014 at 3:54PM
MarleneM
I agree, they look modern and fresh!
0 Likes   August 21, 2014 at 3:55PM
Denise Marchand
Looks wonderful! Progress indeed.
0 Likes   August 21, 2014 at 3:57PM
Gwen H
Dressers are done, new sheers are up. New sheets and comforter in the washer thank you everyone for your input so far! Now is like to find two cheap lamps to put on either side of the long dresser. I'm torn between a patterned blue or gray? Or a yellow? It just solid shades.
3 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 6:49AM
abbyjean
SOOOOO very nice and fresh looking! Cannot wait to see the bed all made up.
2 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 7:38AM
abbyjean
Lamps? Two thoughts.....do you have a goodwill store? There might be vintage lamps to work with this furniture. Walk through Shopko and Target.......I really like the lamps at Shopko. Maybe just walk and look and see if anything fits your ideas instead of going to look for just one thing. You will know when it is right.
0 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 7:39AM
ohrelax
Would you consider replacing the dresser knobs with handles, one per drawer? It would look even nicer and be more functional.
0 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 9:30AM
Gwen H
I like the look of the knobs best
0 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 9:43AM
Gwen H
Some more pictures :-)
6 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 1:04PM
abbyjean
Look back from 2 weeks ago to today! You must just walk by this room, stop in and smile!!! What does the art look like.....can you prop it up on the tall chest?
1 Like   August 23, 2014 at 1:51PM
Denise Marchand
Looks so good! Now put the white pillows on the bed behind and the printed ones in front to show the print. Find another pillow (green?) to put in front and a throw (blue green + yellow stripe?) for the foot of the bed. I like your idea about introducing yellow into the room also.

You might need roll up bamboo shades to add texture and privacy. You asked about hanging the two matching art pieces on either side of the bed. This is a good idea but you have to elaborate on it. Wall hung lamps for either side of the bed along with the art is a start. and one lamp (yellow) on the low dresser. The room is not that large, so you want to keep the accessories large and few to make a statement.

Try the black frame blue green yellow art over the tall dresser and get three size black vases-boxes to place in front. and one thin black base lamp.

If your adorable chair looks too squished in the corner, it looks like you can try it at the foot of the bed (for putting on shoes etc) Get another printed pillow like the one on the bed and an additional small pillow for that chair.

What's your doggie's name? He's so cute in every pic! You are brilliant doing all this, and it looks like you're having fun.
2 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 2:54PM
Denise Marchand
Oops. Forgot the pics. Basically they show the wall lamps and pillow arrangements.
0 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 2:55PM
Denise Marchand
I just reread this discussion thread and it was so fun. The room has taken on a personality of its own. Sacapuntaslapioz was on the money with suggestions.
0 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 3:12PM
abbyjean
I was wondering how to do the pillows to not ignore the headboard. It would be nice to lay some books/magazines in one part with a candle on top. Maybe a pretty picture frame with either a pic all your guests would recognize or print off some words to live by or just a welcome.
0 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 3:28PM
Denise Marchand
For the lamp on the low dresser: Use the existing lamp in your very first pic and change the shade to update. If you really hate the color and it's not an important item, paint the base that citron color in the art.

Be careful now, and don't get too matchy-matchy. It is one of the giveaways of a non professional. The fact is we collect throughout our lives and repurpose the items we love. That love will read loud and clear in this room.

BTW love the glass vessel with the travel products! I'm coming!
2 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 4:44PM
cctuttle
Really love the blue and white dressers with silver knobs and crisp white linens. Do you have money left over for wall paint? Consider pale gray. Not a fan of the small medallion art as it is not in character with the crisp clean look of the beautiful blue and white. Pops of yellow would be fabulous. Also agree with wall lamps for bedside - ultra modern. What is your plan for the chair? This would be a great place to have fun and add a touch of whimsy. The lighter zebra print is actually a rug...
1 Like   August 23, 2014 at 8:55PM
sacapuntaslapioz
Gwen girl, that room is rocking!!!! Gorgeous work on the dressers. great color. love it not too country, not too modern. Perfection!
I think I would go with a more modern choice for lamp or shades. I would use a magenta, chartreuse, black or orange. Yellow, unless is a mustard yellow will look too countrish. I love the art you found and will put it either at the sides of the bed by the window or over the dresser. find a rug, Homegoods have good ones and also overstock.com.

That chair is going to be fabulous there. Are you planning on painting it too?

keep getting pictures and I LOVE YOUR DOG
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 5:39AM
cctuttle
Any color combination can look country depending on how you accessorize. No puff valances and you'll be okay. What color you choose may depend on whether you want to repaint the walls or not. Orange and chartreuse are both great colors for blue too. How do you want the room to feel?
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 7:21AM
sacapuntaslapioz
Gwen, can you fit the dresser by the bed as a night table?
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 7:27AM
Gwen H
Denise you are right - I am always way too matchy matchy or I have the opposite problem and nothing goes together! I'll look for a modern lamp - I like the yellow idea. I have a black lamp base, maybe I can find a yellow chevron shade? And I love the bamboo shade idea! The room needs some texture. What about a hanging plant above the chair? I also have this old painted window frame. I was thinking of hanging it over the long dressor?
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 2:13PM
Denise Marchand
I'm not a fan of printed lamp shades-it's like "decorating" a light source. Let a lamp be a lamp, and not a design statement. I think you should also add another pair of sheer curtains to the window treatments to make it lush. Professionally made curtains are usually 2-1/2 to 3 times the width of the window. The window frame is a designer-approved idea!

Is the chair staying in the corner? If you put a piece of art above it, a floor lamp and a tiny side table, you can always have a small vase of fresh flowers when guests arrive. Skip the hanging plant altogether.

Another trick for good design is the "luxury of space". Even in a small room, blank space works wonders giving the room breathing space. Create vignettes. - around the headboard, around the bench and around the high dresser, and call it a day. The place where you can tie it all together is an area rug between the foot of the bed and the tall dresser. Again, don't try to match too much. Look at www.joshandmain.com for inspiration, as they always have good rugs.
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 3:02PM
cctuttle
Agree about hanging plant and printed lamp shades. Bring print in with throw pillows and a rug. If you put a yellow chevron shade with a black lamp base you are introducing a whole new color idea. I am a fan of decorating with black but in this room the blue and white with sheers and white linens expresses a feeling that isn't helped by black. Consider modern sconces on either side of the bed that repeat the metal in the knobs on your dressers. Also like the window frame. A common mistake in decorating is incorporating too many little items. One big statement piece of art or one vase with flowers is better than lots of little 'stuff'. The window frame is nice because it is big yet simple and compliments the mood of the room while adding a bit of whimsy which is always fun for guests.
2 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 4:48PM
Gwen H
Thinking about storage - I don't need both dressers in the guest room. Have been thinking of using the long dresser as a tv stand for DVD storage etc. am I nuts? (Don't answer that :-) ) my neck is starting to hurt from the tv over the fireplace
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 9:22AM
cctuttle
It would work... how is the color in your living room? You did such a great job of painting! It might also serve as a buffet in the dining area
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 9:43AM
Gwen H
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 9:47AM
Gwen H
Sorry for the double post. Right now it's mostly neutral black & beige with a bit of red
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 9:48AM
abbyjean
I think lowering the tv to save your neck is a great idea! Now do a little math for us.....what is the length of the tv and the length of the dresser? Obviously, the dresser needs to be longer than the tv, but not just a little bit, either, or it will out of balance.

What about the wall it will go on? Room for it?

Neutral with this blue is great as the blue is a wonderful accent color with pillows and throws. Red works with the blue, too.
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 11:05AM
sacapuntaslapioz
Gwen, any more progress?
0 Likes   September 12, 2014 at 4:00AM
Denise Marchand
OK, we're waiting for more pics so we can go on to the next room! How far did you get with the accessories?
0 Likes   September 12, 2014 at 2:32PM
Gwen H
Yes I've made some progress I'll post pictures tomorrow :-)
0 Likes   September 12, 2014 at 7:56PM
Gwen H
This is my progress so far. Still on the to do list - 1. finish painting the end table (it's in the basement for now), 2. find a mirror for above the long dresser(the one I have is way too large for the room) 3. Hang picture above tall dresser 4. Find/save up for a rug & a lamp :-D. Thanks for the input everyone! I'm moving on to my living room disaster next ;-)
0 Likes   September 13, 2014 at 8:17AM
Gwen H
Forgot the pics :-)
0 Likes   September 13, 2014 at 8:18AM
abbyjean
Very nice! Look at the sunshine streaming in! You are ready for company now!

For fun, would you want to try the pic on the chest the other direction and post again? Does it work either way?
0 Likes   September 13, 2014 at 8:32AM
Gwen H
The picture turned
0 Likes   September 17, 2014 at 7:40AM
abbyjean
It looks good that way, too. Thank you for trying that! Guess what might determine the direction would be what you are placing on there. If it is something tall, like a candle stick, it might fit with it the tall way so the candle fills in the wall space. If it is lower, this last direction might work. Nice to have options, huh?
2 Likes   September 17, 2014 at 7:43AM
cctuttle
Is the mirror you said was too big wider than the dresser? I like the picture vertical best...
0 Likes   September 17, 2014 at 10:20AM
madilyngreiner
I like it best the last way you posted it. Are you going to hang it? I would. Very nice!
0 Likes   September 17, 2014 at 9:42PM
Denise Marchand
Hi Gwen, If the art is signed, hang it the correct way. If not any way is good as you will be adding your own touch with a vase or boxes. I would still hang the two gold art with the brown matte-one on either side of the bed and add wall hanging sconces on either side also. Don't forget to add the bamboo roll up shade and more white sheer panels (unless you are going to add curtains over the sheers. I do very well on craigslist for curtains-they are so cheap and really nice. What happened to the idea of hanging the old door horizontally over the dresser? I liked that idea and it doesn't matter if it overhangs the dresser-just center it over the dresser.

Great job on the dressers! I still like what you did! Are you going to use the bench? I hope so. And add a green throw across the bottom of the bed. Don't forget, I'm coming!
0 Likes   September 17, 2014 at 10:37PM
linjofulch
Wow Gwen, your guest room is beautiful. It's been inspiring to see your vision unfold. Thanks for posting for us DIY type Houzzers .
0 Likes   October 15, 2014 at 10:15PM
Living Room/Music Room Disaster
Small living room that is open on one side and opposite...
HELP! My Laundry Room Closet is a Disaster!
Hi There - I would appreciate it if the experts could...
Gray living room disaster
Ok so I posted my living room back in November. Since...
Dorm Room Living - Disaster or Delightful?
Is there a college student in your family living in...
Need the perfect Taupe wall paint for a great room/kitchen area
I'm trying to find a nice taupe wall color that will...
Create a pool under power lines?
Am I allowed to dig a pool if I have a power line running...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Spartan 1980's Bedroom needs a Color Update!
Powder blue was all the rage in the mid 1980's but...
Help with garage/curb appeal
We have a 1955 ranch. We need help with the street-side...