Need help with furniture selection and arrangement
cailinp
August 9, 2014 in Design Dilemma
I would be very grateful if someone could help me redesign this room. It is 17 X 15.5. As you can see from the photos, the fire place is a focal point and so is the television on the longest wall. I will be getting all new furnishings. so before I make a mistake id like to know how i'll arrange the room. The only thing I have my heart set on is the Cambridge sofa at Restoration Hardware. I will move the tv as I suspect I'll have to, but prefer not to have it over the fireplace since I like to build a roaring fire in winter.
My front hall leads into this room and the other opening is to the kitchen and keeping room. Right now I have a sectional sofa in the corner of the stair/kitchen wall and everything else stuck in corners. Please help me transform this into something I'll be happy with.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
A sofa and two chairs are the easiest to arrange. If would help if we could see the sofa wall instead of two pix of the TV. Also helpful to know how the keeping room is done because the two must relate.
0 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 2:12PM
PRO
PRO
Home Matters Interior Design and Staging
There are software programs that will show your space 3D but all the wall measurements and openings are needed. There would also need to be a conversation about what you will be using this room for besides t.v. watching. Form does always follow function. For instance, is there adequate storage, what are your lighting needs, how many people would you like to seat, etc?
0 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 2:35PM
groveraxle
I would move the TV and its console to the left, closer to the window, and remove the chair from that corner. Then I would place a sofa and two chairs with table between them in an L-formation, one set facing the fireplace, the other facing the TV. I would leave a 3' walkway behind the seating, between it and the stair wall.
0 Likes   August 11, 2014 at 3:32PM