Exterior design ideas wanted for midcentury modern renovation. Stucco
cbarde
August 11, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Need ideas to make the house seem modern while not losing the midcentury architecture.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
libradesigneye
So great .. back with more ideas . . bright orange front door to start, or bright aqua back with more .. change the light fixture to soething contemporary and silver .. change the numbers to something contemporary and silver .. see if you can get flat hardie siding . . do full boards with aluminum reglets . .
August 11, 2014 at 11:50PM   
cbarde
Great ideas, thank you!
August 12, 2014 at 12:18AM   
katinahat
PIC 1-- I thought, change the br? window. pic 2 done! pic 2 i thought trim out the window over the door, pic 3 done! :)
i love this style of house and my preference is to see a visual reference to the roofline angle repeated over the deck on the left; perhaps an open pergola/shade structure. not a mirror image, just homage to the eye.
is that a closet on the left of the door? how wonderful a double door or window would be in that spot...more suitable to the lovely stairway.
the little bay window on the left could really use an overhang to match the existing roofline; this finish makes it look rather like a cheap addition instead of the stylish treatment of the rest of the house.

are you thinking of base plantings under the new window and will you face it with siding to match the house or give it a new finish detail like slate/brick etc?
if so, perhaps carry the new finish to the other side of the stairs and include the brick planter [and perhaps to the corner? budget permitting? the large shrub would negate the need at least for the time being. OR consider something more contemporary perhaps like bamboo swishing in the breeze across the front with a couple of large pots of same on the front of the deck for balance
nice job!
August 12, 2014 at 1:08AM   
libradesigneye
Back re: bay . . do not change roof .. bay is not mid century. .was misguided cottage addition no doubt .. but don't remove either what you did to split window asymmetrical was probably best option

Look to trim windows white since the sashes are white . . or a light gray tone that helps the eye jump to the white .. crestviewdoors.com has great door profiles to print out then buy from your local dealer something like it available locally if you are not in TX. .
August 12, 2014 at 4:37PM