Need help with kitchen layout

mroper31August 13, 2014
I have the attached kitchen layout but am thinking about the following changes:
1. see red - getting rid of this wall to make entry more open to family room.
2. see orange- getting rid of this entrance to make room for more cabinets - floor to ceiling if I proceed with #3. there is already an opening to both breakfast area and dining area.
3. see green- should I get rid upper cabinets and extend peninsula to make more open to family room. concerned it is not currently open enough but also worried about losing the cabinet space.
4. see pink - I am going with a 48" freestanding range. Do you see a better place other than where double ovens currently are located?

any advice is much appreciated!
Mary Halperin at Main Line Kitchen Design
Your plan looks like it could be helped by a professional kitchen designer. For example: Island cooktops we try to stay away from. And if you have one you need 12 inches of countertop in back of the cooktop to be safe and enough countertop on at least one side to work on. This design doesn't have any of these requirements. Ovens we like close to cook tops not in back of them. Even a double sink is antiquated. You should have at least one basin in a kitchen the minimum single bowl size of 21 inches wide. The widest bowl with a true double is 14 1/2". There are many other considerations as well.

The plan looks like it was done by an architect unfamiliar with kitchen design. Getting a great kitchen is too complicated to accomplish on Houzz especially when you have lots of options. Houzz can be a great place to find that designer though. I'd start shopping for an actual kitchen designer and one with many years of experience designing kitchens and baths exclusively.

The list of changes you are contemplating are secondary issues that should be addressed while working with you and while considering the bigger issues.
    Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 7:29AM
Need help on Kitchen layout redesign
The kitchen has 4 walls of which each wall has a entry...
Grand Valley Tile
Need help with kitchen layout
We're in the process of designing a new kitchen. Can't...
cchicken
Need help for kitchen layout
Hi-- Was wondering - I have heard that placement of...
ckelly729
need help with kitchen layout
The kitchen is 15'-6 by 20'-6. One side is completely...
abick2
Need help! Weird Kitchen layout
I'm purchasing this town house for myself (my first...
colecidra
Help! What color backsplash to use with white cabinets & countertop?
I could really use some advice, or an intervention!...
skeavney
I want to black out (my bedroom windows)
From what I've seen in a quick search, roller shades...
Sally Benjamin
entry door
Which style of glass, oval or square? My house is long...
losborne7
Curtains and lamps for bedroom
Hello. This is my first post! We are currently living...
sbates5
Which 80's sitcom house would you want to live in?
For those that watched ridiculous amounts of television...